PDA

View Full Version : AFA figures

kshelor
03-14-2012, 02:32 PM
I just got back my first figure I have ever sent to afa. It got an overall 80. Subs of c80 b80 f85. Maybe its just me but I thought it would have been higher. I'm assuming afa are some very picky mofos. Is this the norm for afa. Are they extremely picky.

Jaybird
03-14-2012, 02:47 PM
I've never sent anything to get graded, so I can't answer your question. But, if you don't mind I was wondering if you could say how much it costs to get a figure AFA graded.

sbartek1974
03-14-2012, 02:53 PM
What figure was it?

Glumby
03-14-2012, 03:05 PM
I've never sent anything to get graded, so I can't answer your question. But, if you don't mind I was wondering if you could say how much it costs to get a figure AFA graded.

Packaged Pricing (http://www.toygrader.com/submission_packagedpricing.aspx)

$23 but you need to add insurance and shipping both ways. This is the cheapest option so you will wait over a month to receive. This is for figures from 1995 to present. Price does not include any extras you wanted to add to your order like pictures, cleaning, detailed report, etc.

07GT500 COBRA
03-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Never bought anything AFA and never will. I just don't need to pay someone else to tell me if something is in good condition or not.

sharky
03-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Hmmm, they're not far from me. I wonder if they accept drop offs and pick-ups for people that are local.

Edit: I guess the answer is no.
Can I visit AFA's facilities?
No, for security purposes AFA's location is kept secret and no customers may visit the facility.

kshelor
03-14-2012, 03:21 PM
1986 moc storm shadow, grey filecard, and unpunched

dpstro
03-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Never bought anything AFA and never will. I just don't need to pay someone else to tell me if something is in good condition or not.

same here

CG76
03-14-2012, 03:34 PM
You can call them to ask why it got an 80. They keep notes. But yeah they can get picky. I've gotten stuff with a lower grade than expected sometimes. But as long as I get a 75 I'm generally ok with it.

jogunwarrior
03-14-2012, 03:38 PM
AFA's a Ripoff, I would never have anything graded, or buy anything graded for that matter.
Toys should be played with and not trapped behind plastic until you die, which is when I would get it and open it.

sharky
03-14-2012, 03:40 PM
AFA's a Ripoff, I would never have anything graded, or buy anything graded for that matter.
Toys should be played with and not trapped behind plastic until you die, which is when I would get it and open it.
Let's plan a raid on their super secret facility and open up all the toys they have.

dpstro
03-14-2012, 03:43 PM

off of this statement alone I would vote for you if you ran for president

jogunwarrior
03-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Let's plan a raid on their super secret facility and open up all the toys they have.

I'll lead the assault!

sbartek1974
03-14-2012, 03:44 PM

I'll lead the assault!

Can I join in? This sounds like fun!!!

Snow Wolf
03-14-2012, 03:46 PM
What does AFA stand for?

sharky
03-14-2012, 03:49 PM
What does AFA stand for?
All F*&cking A$$h@les

Ha ha! Just kidding. :D

Action Figure Authority

Snow Wolf
03-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks Sharky! I guessed American Figure Association, but it's nice to know. My dad asked me after finding a 1985 Snake Eyes MOC in protective case going for $2400.00 on ebay. He could not believe the price!

crock master
03-14-2012, 04:05 PM
can you make a custom and figure and send it
in to be graded?

sharky
03-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Can I join in? This sounds like fun!!!
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac164/therealsharky/I-like-where-this-thread-is-going-2.jpg

Derek2783
03-14-2012, 04:11 PM

Unless you're trying to preserve a piece of history. I'm not saying you have to buy AFA graded stuff, but there's no need to trash it. There are a lot of collectors who thoroughly enjoy preserving pieces of action figure history in acrylic cases.

Saying "toys should be played with and not trapped behind plastic until you die" is sort of like saying Roman swords in the museum should be freed and used as tools, not preserved. That might have been true at one time, but now they're a part of history.

I'd argue that 80's Joes are the same. Now that there are few in pristine condition, and even fewer in pristine, packed shape, I don't see why it's not worth the $30 or so to have an item sealed. Even if you ignore the grading, having the package encased in acrylic for $30 ain't a bad deal.

hahoo3
03-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks Sharky! I guessed American Figure Association, but it's nice to know. My dad asked me after finding a 1985 Snake Eyes MOC in protective case going for $2400.00 on ebay. He could not believe the price!

Action Figure Authority

hahoo3
03-14-2012, 04:19 PM
can you make a custom and figure and send it
in to be graded?

No. I got this from their website.

AFA WILL NOT grade any item which exhibits the following:

Restoration defined as any foreign and permanent addition to an item (examples include ink used to cover flaws, glue used to re-seal blisters, etc.) AFA reserves the right to determine what constitutes restoration.
Glued limbs, weapons, or accessories
Holes or cracks large enough to allow a figure, weapons, or accessories to be removed from a blister or box
Reproduction Items
Incomplete Items (i.e. missing weapons or accessories)
Incorrect action figure - accessory combination
Re-sealed Packaging
Hand-made pieces excluding prototypes and pre-production items
Double-Taped items in which the bottom layer of tape has been cut
Extensive damage which is deemed likely to worsen if sealed in a case
Repainted action figures, weapons or accessories.
AFA reserves the right to refuse any item for any reason.

jogunwarrior
03-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Unless you're trying to preserve a piece of history. I'm not saying you have to buy AFA graded stuff, but there's no need to trash it. There are a lot of collectors who thoroughly enjoy preserving pieces of action figure history in acrylic cases.

Saying "toys should be played with and not trapped behind plastic until you die" is sort of like saying Roman swords in the museum should be freed and used as tools, not preserved. That might have been true at one time, but now they're a part of history.

I'd argue that 80's Joes are the same. Now that there are few in pristine condition, and even fewer in pristine, packed shape, I don't see why it's not worth the $30 or so to have an item sealed. Even if you ignore the grading, having the package encased in acrylic for $30 ain't a bad deal.

Ideological differences when it comes to collecting Joe's. I have no problem with someone collecting figures for the purpose of preserving history. I even think it's good. Is that why I collect? No. To each their own.
I don't think someone has to have a figure graded by the AFA to accomplish that historical preservation.
The issue I have is that more often than not someone is simply trying to capitalize on the "action figure authority" for monetary gain and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with preservation of history, but Instead has everything to do with trying to command a higher price on the secondary market.

Selling an AFA graded 85 Snake Eyes on Ebay for $2400 is not about historical preservation...it's about money.

Beckley
03-14-2012, 06:18 PM
I don't see why it's not worth the $30 or so to have an item sealed. Even if you ignore the grading, having the package encased in acrylic for $30 ain't a bad deal.

I have had a few things AFA graded and this is the reason why^

kshelor
03-15-2012, 02:10 AM
I plan on keeping the storm shadow but if someone offered 2400, its gone lol. Momma didn't raise no fool.