PDA

View Full Version : Lines/Colors/3D Cobra Island project

Mercenary696
03-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Some images from JoeDeclassified were posted regarding an unproduced Cobra Island playset. The playset just looks amazing. I am working on making some images based upon the sketches that were posted on their site. I started out with Adobe Illustrator and did the color work and textures in Photoshop.

First one in the batch I am working on is the Turret Platform. It is unfinished and still needs some work such as the bunker guns and some textures for certain areas. Eventually I will get some decals scanned and placed on the images and get them as close as possible to a finished product.

Added tower

Added layout with tower and platform stations

kneroh
03-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Incredible work so far! I REALLY hope you go forward with this.

Gyre-Viper
03-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Very happy to see so many people inspired to do this based on the sketches! Here's to hoping Hasbro is inspired as well. Heheheh.

tkprime
03-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Looks like I'm not the only one working on this!

Cobra_Seph
03-02-2012, 12:20 AM
Some images from JoeDeclassified were posted regarding an unproduced Cobra Island playset. The playset just looks amazing. I am working on making some images based upon the sketches that were posted on their site. I started out with Adobe Illustrator and did the color work and textures in Photoshop.

First one in the batch I am working on is the Turret Platform. It is unfinished and still needs some work such as the bunker guns and some textures for certain areas. Eventually I will get some decals scanned and placed on the images and get them as close as possible to a finished product.

also got the sketches from the joeDeclassified images of Cobra Island. i just did the rough concept for my project. this kind of things aren't easy but is a good project. your work is looking pretty good man. i will try to fuse some of the original concept into my project but i am pretty sure i will need to adapt some changes to help me keep going. materials and the reusing of some vehicle parts like some cannons that look just like the cannons of the FLAGG are in my "To get List".

would be cool to see other tankers taking hands into this kind of things. more cooler to see and exchange ideas with others.

kudos man.. those graphs are looking great.

CG23
03-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Very cool

Stl_Brgd_PFC_Ramar
03-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Sweet man! Love seeing another PacNWster Joe fan too :)

Mercenary696
03-02-2012, 01:02 AM
also got the sketches from the joeDeclassified images of Cobra Island. i just did the rough concept for my project. this kind of things aren't easy but is a good project. your work is looking pretty good man. i will try to fuse some of the original concept into my project but i am pretty sure i will need to adapt some changes to help me keep going. materials and the reusing of some vehicle parts like some cannons that look just like the cannons of the FLAGG are in my "To get List".

would be cool to see other tankers taking hands into this kind of things. more cooler to see and exchange ideas with others.

kudos man.. those graphs are looking great.

Thanks man! I know what you mean about an difficult project. I wish I had the skills to sculpt and cast parts to make the Cobra Island Playset. I am just not good enough at using stuff like Plastruct and Foamcore. I can use it, but I look like a total hack!

I too am looking forward to what other tankers make whether it is artwork, sculpts or full on dioramas for Cobra Island. You might want to pick up a 1985 Battle Platform for parts too. Lots of good parts there - control panels, missile launcher, crane, ect..

Mercenary696
03-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Here is the Radar Platform.

Cobra_Seph
03-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks man! I know what you mean about an difficult project. I wish I had the skills to sculpt and cast parts to make the Cobra Island Playset. I am just not good enough at using stuff like Plastruct and Foamcore. I can use it, but I look like a total hack!

I too am looking forward to what other tankers make whether it is artwork, sculpts or full on dioramas for Cobra Island. You might want to pick up a 1985 Battle Platform for parts too. Lots of good parts there - control panels, missile launcher, crane, ect..

yeah.. i was thinking on adding some want's to my bst because this is going to be one of those child projects that keeps you up late lolz. saw some stuff one evilbay that may help. but i want to have plenty stuff to work with before i can start posting. this will really be a big one.

Here is the Radar Platform.

man.. you work is much better guide than the pics i took from JoeD.
do you mind if i use your pics? since they do have a deeper detail than the other ones it would help me a lot.

btw.. a friend who also collect joes was talking about doing the originals models in paper.

keep the work man.. is looking really good.

Mercenary696
03-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Anti Aircraft Platform.

Mercenary696
03-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Missile Turret Platform. Still needs some work. After working on these for about 3 hours each, my eyes start fuzz up and I miss things. I will go back and touch up certain areas.

Mercenary696
03-04-2012, 11:48 AM
man.. you work is much better guide than the pics i took from JoeD.
do you mind if i use your pics? since they do have a deeper detail than the other ones it would help me a lot.

btw.. a friend who also collect joes was talking about doing the originals models in paper.

keep the work man.. is looking really good.

Yeah, you can use my pics for reference images for building. I got all 4 platforms done now. I got to touch a few parts on them and then I will be doing the helicopter platform and a view of the 3 level tower with the 6 missile launcher. It's a lot of fun working on this!

samantha
03-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Those are some great detailed pic's. Keep them coming.

arch2b
03-04-2012, 12:03 PM
no need to mold or cast anything anymore. model them in 3d and have them 3d printed.

shawn
03-04-2012, 11:36 PM
wow thanks for an idea. i think i will foam board these! im not that good at it, but it will keep me busy for a while, plus i like playsets!

Mercenary696
08-31-2012, 12:59 PM
I got the tower image done and uploaded. There is still some more work I want to do on it with textures, but it's done for now. I took a break from this and finally got back to it. I started this back in March. Time flies. More to come.

Rambo
08-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Fckin beautiful!

Lantern_Lad
08-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Damn, I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

Mercenary696
08-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Fckin beautiful!

Thank you! It's been a lot of fun working on this.

Lantern_Lad
08-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Thank you! It's been a lot of fun working on this.

Speaking as someone who works in Illustrator/Photoshop/InDesign every day... Freaking awesome work, and a great eye for detail.

I don't think your average Joe (pun intended) quite understands the level of work that has to go into something this intricate.

Great work!

Mercenary696
08-31-2012, 01:54 PM
Speaking as someone who works in Illustrator/Photoshop/InDesign every day... Freaking awesome work, and a great eye for detail.

I don't think your average Joe (pun intended) quite understands the level of work that has to go into something this intricate.

Great work!

Thank you! Those applications are my weapons of choice. I can't say I miss Quark and Freehand anymore. Adobe's Creative Suite was the best thing to happen for the print/publishing industry.

wrw311
08-31-2012, 02:07 PM
Nice Illustrator work bro! Ive been using the program for years and love it. Its nice to meet another master of the "pen" tool

Lantern_Lad
08-31-2012, 02:17 PM
Thank you! Those applications are my weapons of choice. I can't say I miss Quark and Freehand anymore. Adobe's Creative Suite was the best thing to happen for the print/publishing industry.

Hell yes it is... which version are you rockin'?

Nice Illustrator work bro! Ive been using the program for years and love it. Its nice to meet another master of the "pen" tool

Awesome! The pen tool scared the hell out of me when I started, but it just becomes like an extension of the hand after a while, you know?

Jettfire
08-31-2012, 03:09 PM
I toiled for years as a technical artist so I've got a strong appreciation for work like this.

Every element is spectacular. It really shows that you didn't shy away from the harder to construct pieces like the hinges and dishes. The gun turrets are exceptional as well.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Mercenary696
08-31-2012, 08:54 PM
Hell yes it is... which version are you rockin'?

I am still running CS3.

Mercenary696
08-31-2012, 08:55 PM
I toiled for years as a technical artist so I've got a strong appreciation for work like this.

Every element is spectacular. It really shows that you didn't shy away from the harder to construct pieces like the hinges and dishes. The gun turrets are exceptional as well.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Thank you!

Mercenary696
09-02-2012, 02:17 PM
I am looking for some advice on how to build the lower base section of Cobra Island. If you look at the three images posted, you will notice they have some distinct differences in how the lower structure works.

1. If you look at the top overview, The missile turret is almost part of/connected to the Heli-pad extension.

2. If you look at the image of just the base section, the missile turret section (beveled pyramid), it is part of the base section.

3. If you look at the image of the folded up Cobra Island Playset with folded up vertically, there is no missile turret indicated.

You will also notice on the Cobra tower image I did, the middle floor has six sides to it, as is indicated in the original sketches. However the top overview sketch it has only five sides, which seems to me to be the more accurate way of doing things and will require my rebuild of that illustration.

I ultimately plan on doing a full breakdown on the whole playset which will hopefully lead to either a hand build, resin cast 3 3/4 scale model or a 3d model rendered out. Since my 3d skill are very limited, I don't think I will end up going that path. I don't mind if this project takes another six month or even a year or two. There is no rush for me on this, I just want to make sure I figure out as many of the problems as possible before I get started on the build. Doing these illustrations helps me out a lot on that.

If anyone can give me some insight or advice on that lower base section that would be great!