PDA

View Full Version : My wife called me out.........

fireflyguy
02-22-2012, 07:50 PM
She's generally fairly supportive of my hobby. At least she tolerates it. But the other day is showed her pics of the Reataliation figures, and I was like,"Look at the Rock! And Bruce Wilis! I can't wait to get these!". To which she replies, "I thought you were collecting based on the stuff you liked as a kid! The Rock wasn't around when you were a kid!" I didn't know what to say except that I had to at least have a Bruce Willis figure. Retaliation comes out in our anniversary and I've already been told we are NOT going to see it on opening night!

It's true that I got back into collecting because of the nostalgia effect, but man, it's addictive!

ero
02-22-2012, 07:53 PM
She's generally fairly supportive of my hobby. At least she tolerates it. But the other day is showed her pics of the Reataliation figures, and I was like,"Look at the Rock! And Bruce Wilis! I can't wait to get these!". To which she replies, "I thought you were collecting based on the stuff you liked as a kid! The Rock wasn't around when you were a kid!" I didn't know what to say except that I had to at least have a Bruce Willis figure. Retaliation comes out in our anniversary and I've already been told we are NOT going to see it on opening night!

It's true that I got back into collecting because of the nostalgia effect, but man, it's addictive!

My advice? If you're in it for the nostalgia, then try to hold back on movie stuff. While new figures are tempting, if you're collecting for nostalgia, then the allure of these figures will wear off and you'll have no interest in them. Been down this road myself and I'm STILL trying to sell off a lot of it.

Although like everyone else, I'll be making myself a John McClane. :D

RolandofGilead
02-22-2012, 07:54 PM
My wife somewhat tolerates my hobby, but she definitely doesn't understand it. From time to time, back when it was just Star Wars I collected, she'd walk into my room and ask "what are you going to do with this stuff?" It was a foreign concept to her. Now that we have kids, she's toned it down, but she still doesn't like it much.

fireflyguy
02-22-2012, 07:58 PM
My advice? If you're in it for the nostalgia, then try to hold back on movie stuff. While new figures are tempting, if you're collecting for nostalgia, then the allure of these figures will wear off and you'll have no interest in them. Been down this road myself and I'm STILL trying to sell off a lot of it.

Although like everyone else, I'll be making myself a John McClane. :D

You are definitely right about this. I can't tell you how many times I've bought something because I thought it looked cool only to realize I didn't really want it. The first thing that comes to mind is Wraith. But the stuff I had connections with from my childhood seem to stand the test of time.

spiderpumpkin

Time to get a PO BOX.

Taterbot

Is you anniversary June 29?

turner
02-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Then tell her about army building :)

CrimsonGuard101
02-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Bruce willis = Joe Colton (was around from when you were a kid)
The Rock is playing Roadblock = who was also aorund when you were a kid...

I dont see wtf her issue is...sounds like you need a new GF...one that understands your needs a little better lol

mav55mdash
02-22-2012, 08:00 PM
My wife tells me to grow up, I tell her "you knew this when we met and you didn't have a problem then you shouldnt have a problem now".

esg2145
02-22-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm going to say this and be as nice as I can w/o trying to sound like a "d*ck" and I mean NO ONE offense when I say this-

I have been married twice now and have a live in GF now (I am 39, pushing 40 BTW). My first wife was OK w/ collecting and even enjoyed "the chase of it" if you will. My second never got it, WOULDN'T get it, and I had to hide EVERYTHING and had NOTHING on display even. I literally could not enjoy my hobby at all w/ her. :( My GF now gets it, think's it OK, and sometimes helps, or will at least call if she's at the store and sees something she thinks I want, best situation yet.

All THAT said, I have found in the long run the LESS you tell ANYONE in your life who is NOT into it like we are (even if you're old lady is like my first wife and my current GF) the better off you are. Just DON'T tell them.

Now if you can't pay your bills or are neglecting your family b/c of your "habit" :) that's another story, but other than that the MORE you keep your mouth shut, the BETTER off you are in my experience.

I'm sorry but I've seen it on here and heard it 1,000 times, guys either getting popped by their old ladies, or them giving them sh*t for buying figures. Just keep your traps shut and enjoy it w/ us and you're MUCH better off in the long run. TRUST ME.

I know I sound like an a-hole the way I am saying this, but it's true. Again, I am not saying be a lying, deceitful d*ck to your significant other and family, but some times the less you say the better off you are. This is also how I have probably 200 loose and maybe 100 MOC figures, and have about 12 firearms too. :)

JMHO, HTH -

TheRealDubya
02-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Marriage > toys

esg2145
02-22-2012, 08:03 PM
time to get a po box.

bingo :)

mrfu
02-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Yo come on, don't you have any recollection? Bruce Willis was around as a kid. Do you know how many times my refrigerator was the Nakatomi building and one of my Joes was John McClain jumping off as it exploded. I'd tell her hell yeah Bruce was around the same time as ARAH. If my figs could talk!

esg2145
02-22-2012, 08:08 PM
BTW, the flip side I always say too is I do NOT gamble, I do NOT go to titty bars all the time (once in a blue moon w/ the guys for a bachelor party is ok though :), I do NOT do dope, and I am not a drunk. Sure I have a drink once in a while, but nothing crazy.

My wives / GFs have ALWAYS had all they wanted and all they needed and more. I have TWO (twins :)) 7 year old boys who are good kids but I spoil them to death (PS3, Wii, toys, super hero movies, you name it). ALL the bills are paid, and my ex-wife get's damn near $800 a mo in child support ON time, EVERY month, W/O exception.

So don't give me any sh*t about having a plastic crack addiction that doesn't hurt anyone and I enjoy, and if you do

THEN F.O.!!!! :(

My $0.02 -

Taterbot
02-22-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm going to say this and be as nice as I can w/o trying to sound like a "d*ck" and I mean NO ONE offense when I say this-

I have been married twice now and have a live in GF now (I am 39, pushing 40 BTW). My first wife was OK w/ collecting and even enjoyed "the chase of it" if you will. My second never got it, WOULDN'T get it, and I had to hide EVERYTHING and had NOTHING on display even. I literally could not enjoy my hobby at all w/ her. :( My GF now gets it, think's it OK, and sometimes helps, or will at least call if she's at the store and sees something she thinks I want, best situation yet.

All THAT said, I have found in the long run the LESS you tell ANYONE in your life who is NOT into it like we are (even if you're old lady is like my first wife and my current GF) the better off you are. Just DON'T tell them.

Now if you can't pay your bills or are neglecting your family b/c of your "habit" :) that's another story, but other than that the MORE you keep your mouth shut, the BETTER off you are in my experience.

I'm sorry but I've seen it on here and heard it 1,000 times, guys either getting popped by their old ladies, or them giving them sh*t for buying figures. Just keep your traps shut and enjoy it w/ us and you're MUCH better off in the long run. TRUST ME.

I know I sound like an a-hole the way I am saying this, but it's true. Again, I am not saying be a lying, deceitful d*ck to your significant other and family, but some times the less you say the better off you are. This is also how I have probably 200 loose and maybe 100 MOC figures, and have about 12 firearms too. :)

JMHO, HTH -

This is the best explaination I have seen and I feel the same way. I have been married for 10 years and I will only say if she needs to know. NOTHING MORE!

mrfu
02-22-2012, 08:09 PM

JMHO, HTH -

DUDE if the Rent is due and there is no food on the table I'd tell you to stop Myself!
However my wife can't say JACK if the Roof is paid and the food is on the table & there s noone knocking at our door for overdue payments. It's how I keep my sanity!

orezona
02-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Screw nostalgia.

I never grew up and they are kick ass toys to play with/look at!

iDzBowl
02-22-2012, 08:12 PM
My wife doesn't really like me anymore, so I buy whatever I want...

Taterbot
02-22-2012, 08:13 PM

Lmao!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow

gunslingercbr
02-22-2012, 08:13 PM

JMHO, HTH -

when my son was born we had to convert our third bedroom into his bedroom from our office where I displayed my Joes.

sadly, everything went into the attic, except all the extra fodder I had. and with that was my wife's expectation that I would stop collecting since I had nowhere to display it. I suppose it made sense to her that I collected when I had my figure cabinet but why buy something just to put it in the attic? I certainly understand that perspective.

unfortunately for her the 30th Anniversary was just to f'ing amazing to pass up. rather than break the news to her that I still collect I just let her believe that I don't, which means no more ordering online (though I have a friend who does it for me and I pick it up from him).

of course I began to display some of the extra figures I had as fodder on my garage workbench, which then turned into a display for my 30th figures. she commented the other day how she was looking for a screwdriver but couldn't see past the army on the bench. oh well.

she likely suspects that I still buy a figure here or there but doesn't believe I collect actively. luckily with Retaliation I won't so there won't be any issues unless Hasbro gets their heads out of their asses with whatever line follows it up.

Storm
02-22-2012, 08:14 PM

LOL Post of the day!!

fireflyguy
02-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Is you anniversary June 29?

Yep. It'll be 16 years!

I dont see wtf her issue is...sounds like you need a new GF...one that understands your needs a little better lol

Yeah, she was pretty cool with BW because of the Die Hard movies and such. I'm definitely getting the Colton fig.

She might not give me too much crap about getting figures, but I highly doubt shed approve of me getting a girlfriend! ;-)

JMHO, HTH -

I don't wanna make my wife sound bad, because she's really pretty cool about the hobby overall. When we first started dating, the POTF Star Wars figures were being released and she bought me a few of them for Christmas. She doesn't say much about it unless I let it get in the way of family time, which I have occasionally. I'm a pretty cheap person, though, so I don't really spend too much. My collection is fairly focused, and I've cut back since we've moved as my priorities have changed. I just thought it was kind of funny that she was pretty quick on the draw regarding the upcoming figures.

Esg, I agre with you----it's better nt to say anything. Where I used to love, people would, by and large, look at me funny if they found out I collected Joes. So I got to where I just kept it to myself. My wife has always been pretty tolerant, though, as long as I don't go overboard.

T J Bang
02-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Holy shit, all this talk on keeping it a secret dosnt make sence. I collect figures openly. I dont care who like it. I collect for myself not for others. My wife is fine with it but if she wasnt i would still openly collect. I have kids and they collect figures and we all have a blast. Id hate to have to hide that joy.

Be yourself, collect what you want, and never feel bad for it.

shortysben
02-22-2012, 08:19 PM
MY GF is the one who started me back into it, I was HUGE into Joes and always been into Marvel stuff...she gets me a 2-pack for my bday like 2 years ago...

150 + MU figs, 200+ Joes later...thanks a lot! I love em so they arent going anywhere...

ShadowBat
02-22-2012, 08:20 PM

JMHO, HTH -

I totally agree. Been there done that a couple of times myself.

Taterbot
Yep. It'll be 16 years!

Congrats. It will be 11 years for my wife and I. Same day.

Marine-73
i'm going to say this and be as nice as i can w/o trying to sound like a "d*ck" and i mean no one offense when i say this-

i have been married twice now and have a live in gf now (i am 39, pushing 40 btw). My first wife was ok w/ collecting and even enjoyed "the chase of it" if you will. My second never got it, wouldn't get it, and i had to hide everything and had nothing on display even. I literally could not enjoy my hobby at all w/ her. :( my gf now gets it, think's it ok, and sometimes helps, or will at least call if she's at the store and sees something she thinks i want, best situation yet.

All that said, i have found in the long run the less you tell anyone in your life who is not into it like we are (even if you're old lady is like my first wife and my current gf) the better off you are. Just don't tell them.

Now if you can't pay your bills or are neglecting your family b/c of your "habit" :) that's another story, but other than that the more you keep your mouth shut, the better off you are in my experience.

I'm sorry but i've seen it on here and heard it 1,000 times, guys either getting popped by their old ladies, or them giving them sh*t for buying figures. Just keep your traps shut and enjoy it w/ us and you're much better off in the long run. Trust me.

I know i sound like an a-hole the way i am saying this, but it's true. Again, i am not saying be a lying, deceitful d*ck to your significant other and family, but some times the less you say the better off you are. This is also how i have probably 200 loose and maybe 100 moc figures, and have about 12 firearms too. :)

jmho, hth -

this!!!!!!!!!!!

fireflyguy
02-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Congrats. It will be 11 years for my wife and I. Same day.

Congrats to you also!

Taterbot
02-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Holy shit, all this talk on keeping it a secret dosnt make sence. I collect figures openly. I dont care who like it. I collect for myself not for others. My wife is fine with it but if she wasnt i would still openly collect. I have kids and they collect figures and we all have a blast. Id hate to have to hide that joy.

Its either only tell her when I need to or not afford the hobby b/c of child support. 4 kids = Raped in asssssssssssss!

esg2145
02-22-2012, 08:25 PM

Hahahahahaha! I love it! :)

Python_Puckman
02-22-2012, 08:33 PM

You should have said "Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker" and go play with your Joes

Shipshape1983
02-22-2012, 08:41 PM
After these comments...I dont think I'll ever get married...

Darkfire
02-22-2012, 08:42 PM
My GF doesn't want me collecting the comics, movies, cartoons, or any of the female figures. She is always saying that I just want to look at "the cartoon bitches with tight clothes." (She REALLY HATES MARVEL and DC). We have been fighting over it for almost 6 years now, and its a fight I'm tired of so I just don't let her know all what I buy. She thinks we all are like the guy from Grandma's Boy.

Edhaskel
02-22-2012, 08:47 PM
I'll preface this with the fact that we are DINKS, but wow, I have the best wife in the world.....as long as the mortgage and bills are paid, she finds my hobby endearing....even when I want something fairly expensive and tell her "eh, I can sell some stuff on ebay to pay for it", she wont let me sell them.....she even stood in the freezing cold at Target at 6AM so I could get more than one of the Lava Vaders when ROTS came out....again, Im not a completest by any stretch and my stuff is very focused, but she doesnt give me shit about anything.....I'm mostly a MOC collector and she has threatened me with the whole, "If you ever cheat on me, you'll come home to a pile of opened toys and divorce papers!!" tho.

pud333
02-22-2012, 08:48 PM
I had this exact same situation come up on me as soon as I started to branch out beyond 25th Anniversary GI Joes and Transformers. Basicaly I came clean. I told her I enjoy it now. She wasn't happy with that answer, but it was the truth. I set limits for myself though, in what I will buy.

My recommendation, as others have said, is to avoid the movie line if you are collecting out of nostalgia. I'm telling you right now: I get so much satisfaction out of the 25th anniversary / 30th anniversary lines. the other stuff is fun, but I inevitably sell them a few months later. It's not worth it.

Odinsdad
02-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Give her hell if she ever tries a new product based on an old one.

Dragasses
02-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Time to get a PO BOX.
or a secret house.

arthurnoah
02-22-2012, 09:27 PM
I've read all the comments...I'm really not showing off or anything...

I think I have the coolest GF in the fcukin world!

HobbyHobbs
02-22-2012, 09:39 PM
My wife totally understands that I think farts are funny, that bikinis are the best thing about the beach, the WWE is great, and that GI Joe is awesome.

Glad I married her.

ero
02-22-2012, 10:29 PM
My wife is very cool about all of it too, and for that I feel lucky. She knows it's important to me, but she also trusts me to rein it in when need be. I know not everybody is in the same boat, but all this talk about doing whatever you want while others be damned is just a bummer.

Ford
02-22-2012, 10:29 PM
It sounds like what you need to do is bank a little good will before the movie comes out. Roses out of the blue, a weekend stay in a nice hotel, or something as simple as washing the dishes, doing the laundry or cleaning the house without even mentioning it.

Theeeeeeeennnnnnn in a couple months, if you want to spend a few bucks on a couple toys, it's no big deal.

80sKid
02-22-2012, 10:34 PM

JMHO, HTH -

Yeah man I agree the less is better policy when it goes to collecting toys is best. I mean my office is a shrine to GI Joe with dios and MOC displays and my wife knows that I currently buy them monthly. What she doesn't really notice is the fact that I buy at least two of each figure I want, one to keep MOC and one to open and let's not even start on troop building. If she knew I was buying multiples of the same figures she would spaz! Even though looking at the dios its quite obvious there are plenty of Vipers, Shock Troopers, Blue Shirts, etc... She doesn't examine the room hard enough to notice I think...
Agreed as long as the hobby isn't cutting into family time or causing your family financial hardships then I think it's okay. She however thinks it's a huge waste of money. But I earn it so if I want to spend some expendable income on them she really can't get that mad... She just shakes her head...

youdoitimbusy
02-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Its ok to start doing something for 1 reason, and to continue to do it for another. I.E. "enjoyment"- if you like to collect, than tell her the truth. Yeah I started for nostalgia, but the hobby has grown on me and its just something I enjoy doing with my time. She can ether except it or be pissy, but ask yourself this question. If you weren't doing this, what would you be doing? If the answer is something less enjoyable to YOU, than I say continue on the path you are on.

edit...I also agree with the previous statement on finances and time with the family.Life is a balancing act after all.

CobraStriker
02-22-2012, 10:58 PM
I have just told my wife that if she buys clothes, even though she has plenty of clothes (some with tags still on them), then she can't say anything about my collections.

So... I don't say anything about her clothes, and she doesn't say anything about my collections. Case closed.

If she doesn't love you for who you are, then she's not the one for you.

codenameflint
02-22-2012, 11:11 PM
My soon to be wife is usually pretty supportive. She gets on me when several packages show up in the same week but other than that she is really cool about it.

For my Bday this year she got me a USS Flagg. She found one on craigslist and said do you want this for your bday. The next day we drove to go pick it up. Best gift ever!

loiosh
02-22-2012, 11:46 PM

Nuff said!

CVdelgado
02-22-2012, 11:58 PM
your wife is right, dont buy any of that retaliation crap... well ok, buy some, but just be selective.

CVdelgado
02-22-2012, 11:59 PM

good advice. be selective.

Crazy Legs
02-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Yeah....i am not buying these new JOEs because of the Rock of Bruce Willis. Your wife is right.

Darth Awgmon
02-23-2012, 12:09 AM

Wow, man. We have even more in common than I thought! But seriously, I think my wife likes me around 40% of the time. BTW, I keep most of my collecting on the down-low.

Zefram
02-23-2012, 12:17 AM

Screw nostalgia. This is Bruce Willis we're talking about here!

If your waifu has a problem, show her this...

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/Fail/bruce1.jpg

I'd show her a pic of Chuck Norris, but she might leave you for the picture, which probably wouldn't be cool.

ozzie92
02-23-2012, 12:22 AM
For me, it's as simple as establishing "allowances" for the both us (my wife and I). I get $40 a month, and so does she (used to be double that, but we agreed to cut down our debt and go Dave Ramsey on the budget). I make a list of NASCAR diecast, iTunes songs, standard Joes and custom parts/paints desired, and start checking things off the list when I can afford them. If I just HAVE to have something, then I usually look around for what I can sell on feebay, and consider it a "trade." Occasionally, my wife will let me take an "advancement" of the allowance if the purchase is more of a time-sensitive issue (preorders, etc.). My wife may not understand it, but she is totally cool with it--even checks for me at various stores when she's out and about. My whole basement is a shrine to my collections, and yet we can entertain there and let the kids do their thing.

I guess I would echo the sentiment of "getting on the same page" as your wife/girlfriend. Fair compromise and consideration of both you and your spouse should be a winning combination. Of course, that may have to come with actually having conversations with your wife over, say, "coffee time," as my wife and I have every Saturday morning to reconnect and talk finances/vacations/future goals/etc. That doesn't mean we are perfect in any stretch of the imagination--and we have plenty of arguments over what to purchase, as I believe in living for today as WELL as planning for tomorrow--I just think that sneaking around will only lead to distrust...

Finally--in agreement with many on here--make sure bills are paid and the family is top priority. Otherwise, happy hunting for sanity's sake!!!

swafus
02-23-2012, 12:26 AM

JMHO, HTH -

This^^^is 100% correct.

Dunedain
02-23-2012, 12:43 AM
Bottom line, ALL my mortgages on the homes and rental propertys are paid, ALL the bills are paid,The kids want for nothing and i make ALL the money!!!!!!!

SHE DONT SAY SHIT!! In fact my whole 14'by 20' garage is a Gijoe/toy showroom.Plus we love each other.

WVMojo
02-23-2012, 01:10 AM
My wife is somewhat supportive and tolerates it...especially since I sold a few things and have money set aside for her new iPad 3 when it hits next month...that ought to buy me another year of collecting.

cobracommander1
02-23-2012, 01:20 AM
I certainly understand the emotion behind this. The problem with collecting action figures is that it is impossible to justify. They serve no obvious purpose. You can wear them, you can not fix things with them, and unless you are a child, you really cannot even play with them. That being said, why do we buy them? Because they are AWESOME! How do I explain this to my wife, let alone my peers? It would be easier to explain a porno collection, and often it feels that way because you must hide it from certain people or they will think that you are weird. I love my collection, but I have surely gotten carried away at times. It can become an obsession it you are a completist (which I am not, thankfully.)

I try to curb my spending on other things, such as happy hours, fast food, lunch, starbucks etc. Truthfully, I think collecting joes for men is like collecting shoes for women. We can never get enough.

cmderinchief
02-23-2012, 01:26 AM
The timing of this thread is ironic!

Some_Gamer_Dude
02-23-2012, 05:05 AM
I've seen shows where wives tell their husbands to get a hobby, yet in real life women hate hobbies. With a Passion. If they don't get it, you shouldn't do it.

Yet they practically collect clothes. Most guys don't get that.

Gender equality everybody.

ShockVal
02-23-2012, 05:26 AM

Crim.. crim... crimmeeeeee! Crim-eh? Crimeeeeeeee!

Raw Dog
02-23-2012, 08:40 AM
That sucks that you can't go see Retaliation opening night dude! Maybe there'll be a midnight showing the night before or maybe you could go see a matinee?

figureware
02-23-2012, 08:50 AM
My wife is cool with it as long as it stays in the Toy room or the garage! She totally shot down my GI Joe Manger set up for Christmas! but collecting anything is about you. If she loves you then she wont care what you collect. I collect watches as well as Joes and the watches cost a hell of a lot more! But shes got books and jewelry and I leave her alone. She use to be into Littlest Pet Shop and I was out collecting for her!

cobracobra
02-23-2012, 08:56 AM
What I do when I get in trouble is I just show my girlfriend some of you guys collection. Also helps that my girl friend is happy and in love with me.. So looks like I am getting the Rock and Bruce Willis this summer.

jankatana
02-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Ask her what the problem is mate. Females keep secrets and expect guys to use their natural born super human phychic abilities to read their minds and do the right thing.

wolverine2281
02-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks for this thread. You guys make me feel very lucky :)

Odinsdad
02-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Mine's completely fine with it, hunts for me and gets excited for my finds when things are great, which is most of the time... but when she gets pissed about closet space or if I happen to take up too much display space it's suddenly a "problem" and I'm a "hoarder".

With somewhere in the neighborhood of just under 1k figures TOTAL across all lines we collect my collection is a joke compared to most of you.

She has no idea how bad shit could be.

The Game
02-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Cant wait to show my wife this thread tonight.

Lody
02-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Time to get a PO BOX.

bingo :)

I'm thinking more like time to get a new wife

Manok
02-23-2012, 11:24 AM
My wife likes my collections. I make the money so she can't say much anyway. I just spent 7 grand on a bed room set and mattress for her so she can't say shit about me buying an 8 dollar figure every other week or so lol. And if she does I just glance at her collection of precious moments and give her the stink eye.

AirborneRigger
02-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Retaliation comes out in our anniversary and I've already been told we are NOT going to see it on opening night!

There will be a midnight show the night before it "officially" opens. Go see it then.

ero
02-23-2012, 03:09 PM
For me, it's as simple as establishing "allowances" for the both us (my wife and I). I get $40 a month, and so does she (used to be double that, but we agreed to cut down our debt and go Dave Ramsey on the budget). I make a list of NASCAR diecast, iTunes songs, standard Joes and custom parts/paints desired, and start checking things off the list when I can afford them. If I just HAVE to have something, then I usually look around for what I can sell on feebay, and consider it a "trade." Occasionally, my wife will let me take an "advancement" of the allowance if the purchase is more of a time-sensitive issue (preorders, etc.). My wife may not understand it, but she is totally cool with it--even checks for me at various stores when she's out and about. My whole basement is a shrine to my collections, and yet we can entertain there and let the kids do their thing.

I guess I would echo the sentiment of "getting on the same page" as your wife/girlfriend. Fair compromise and consideration of both you and your spouse should be a winning combination. Of course, that may have to come with actually having conversations with your wife over, say, "coffee time," as my wife and I have every Saturday morning to reconnect and talk finances/vacations/future goals/etc. That doesn't mean we are perfect in any stretch of the imagination--and we have plenty of arguments over what to purchase, as I believe in living for today as WELL as planning for tomorrow--I just think that sneaking around will only lead to distrust...

Finally--in agreement with many on here--make sure bills are paid and the family is top priority. Otherwise, happy hunting for sanity's sake!!!

Well said. Also, I <3 your avatar.

And if she does I just glance at her collection of precious moments and give her the stink eye.

Gosh, I don't think you'd even have to be a collector to merit giving her the stink eye. ;)

hifipinkie29
02-23-2012, 03:24 PM
I tried to stop collecting once, because of money, and my wife insisted I didn't give it up.
She said the guy she fell in love with liked toys. How awesome is that?!
I have the most awesome woman, and she's hot!
She still calls me a nerd, but she loves me.
I can spend as much money on collecting as I want, as long as it doesn't take away from savings and necessities. And June 29 is my birthday, so I will be there.

Night Viper 143
02-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Do what I do with my women...

I break up with them just before Christmas and get back together after Valentines. It makes it that much easier for me to save up for more Joe stuff.

In your case, break up with her just before the movie comes out, catch the premiere. See her on the otherside.

... no, i'm not serious, please don't actually do that.

sonoftimmy
02-23-2012, 04:33 PM
After these comments...I dont think I'll ever get married...

I have news for everyone that's how women are it doesn't matter if it's toys or cars or going out on Friday nights with the guys. Women are going to eventually give you a hard time about doing things that you enjoy unless they benefit from it in some way. It's best to find a nice girl and have sex with her until she gives you a hard time and then move on.

Cobra Fox
02-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Knows what you mean. It was hard to resist buying the 30th figures. I saw Lifeline, Sci-Fi and Airtight and boy, I kept telling myself the many reasons why I should NOT buy them. I think I'm gonna regret it......SHIT!! I hate you, Hasbro, why don't you stopped at 25th!!! Damn you!!!

Tanksmasher
02-23-2012, 04:49 PM

JMHO, HTH -

I have to agree with this. Some people--and women more so--just don't get it and never will. And don't even want to. So why tell them. It's your hobby. You don't have to lie but you don't have to volunteer info either. It's like having different political view points or religious beliefs than your parents. Sometimes sharing them just creates conflict, so it's better to be silent and enjoy your relationships for what they are. My $0.02.

Psycho Joe Guy
02-23-2012, 05:09 PM
I have to agree with this. Some people--and women more so--just don't get it and never will. And don't even want to. So why tell them. It's your hobby. You don't have to lie but you don't have to volunteer info either. It's like having different political view points or religious beliefs than your parents. Sometimes sharing them just creates conflict, so it's better to be silent and enjoy your relationships for what they are. My $0.02.

Wise words.

coreystinson
02-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Time to get a PO BOX.

LOL, so true!!

youdoitimbusy
02-23-2012, 05:48 PM
My wife likes my collections. I make the money so she can't say much anyway. I just spent 7 grand on a bed room set and mattress for her so she can't say shit about me buying an 8 dollar figure every other week or so lol. And if she does I just glance at her collection of precious moments and give her the stink eye.

ahhh...the good old stink eye

boff123
02-23-2012, 05:49 PM

ha you got caught!

gator06
02-25-2012, 11:20 PM
My wife doesn't mind at all. She'll call me if she sees something new at a store to ask if I want it even.

One problem with collecting in general, compared to other ways of "wasting" money is that it generates a pile of stuff that can attract the attention of others. Your wife may spend hundreds a month on getting her hair and nails done, new shoes or purses, fancy coffee every morning, etc. At the end of the year there wouldn't be anything to show for it and make you point to a $4000 pile of stuff and say "you collected all that?!?!?!". Collecting something, on the other hand, is easy to attract that. My wife, fortunately, does realize that I actually spend much less recreational money than she does, so I'm pretty much free to amass as much as I want.
Now this may sound odd to some people, but a great way to do that is to give each person an amount of money each month to spend on any crap they want too. It could be people magazine that is in the trash in 2 weeks or a gi joe figure that is still on my shelf in 2 years... I have even pointed out to some people "look what I have to show for my fun money, what do you have for yours?"

GI abe444
02-25-2012, 11:39 PM
Mine is only supporative to a degree .Hell she knew i collected when we were dating. Now being married for almost 11 yrs in June. When it comes to figures i can get just about what ever i want as long as its not very expensive or break the Budget. The movie figuers i try and just explain there the same charcters i grew up with and she is ok by that. lol Good luck bud.

Akunin
02-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Mine knows the alternative. Either I collect and stay home fiddling with them or I go out and sometimes don't come home. Not that I sleep around or anything it just I'm always in need of something to do. So its joes, or playing pool and darts at the local pub. She takes the joes everytime. And it isn't like I tell her she can't go out, she can anytime and knows it. She just doesn't trust other women with me. ;)

lunacy05
02-27-2012, 05:58 AM
My gf tolerates my collecting g.i. joes/toys, and she knows that i'm a toy geek. What she don't like is to hear what i bought or how much i spent, she rather not hear it. She knows and have seen my current collection, and is okay with them. Of course, on occasional times, she tends to joke by threatening me to toss them off from a 17th floor window or sell them in ebay (if i die) so she can earn the money from the sales.

Crimson Rage
02-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Actually be thankful that your wife is very perceptive.

Lifeline 71
02-27-2012, 07:11 AM

JMHO, HTH -

I agree with you. I pretty much don't tell anyone that I collect Joes. My wife knows about my collection, but I try not to "advertise" it in front of her. Now, if I'm selling or trading stuff, she's fine with it, of course. But I have enough stuff to deal with that I don't need her complaining about my toys on a daily basis. I work 40 hours a week, so I make sure our needs are taken care of before I go hunting for Joes. So, don't lie, but don't be obvious about it either. And most importantly, enjoy your hobby.