PDA

View Full Version : What happened with Pursuit of Cobra?

OSOK
02-02-2012, 10:55 PM
was it poor distribution?

was it low production numbers?

did someone forget about a warehouse somewhere?

I was looking at the reviews over at generalsjoes.com. BTW never type generaljoes.com it some virgin paintball site.

anyway,

i was reminiscing about the POC line, waves 1 and 2 hit hard like normal, waves 3 and 4 were there, but you better be at the store when they first open if you wanted a snow balls chance in hell to get those figures and in my neck of the woods, i never saw waves 5 or 6. Not even a single trace of these waves. i wouldnt even know what a rock viper was if it wasnt for that website. yes a couple of the figures in those waves are repaints, but they are awesome! i love all the accesories that came with them, and some really good parts for customs, however, i never got a chance to see these at retail.

I feel cheated almost, that as a collector i didnt really get a chance to get those figures or "double up" on some of the more popular characters from the POC line. yeah i know, i should have bought them online.

lowlight going for $30 on ebay
money bags destro going for $30-$40
"straps" snake eyes in the mid $20s
shadow tracker can hit $20
hell even snow job is in the mid $20s

what the hell happened here?

you already know what the penguin thinks...

Beckley
02-02-2012, 10:58 PM
I ordered the Lowlight wave from HTS and thank God I did.
I never saw Lowlight or Shadow Tracker in the wild and I only saw De$tro once.

CVdelgado
02-02-2012, 11:00 PM
i think something is going on where hasbro knows how to play with the collecting communities to stir up interest.

im not saying i understand the plan, just that things dont add up and i dont believe it can all be because of incompetence or apathy on their part.

wertdog91
02-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Shadow Tracker- found 1 at target and 1 at Walgreens(now yours)
Lowlight- found both at different targets at opening
Money bags- Bought 3 from Wingnut( the man)
"Straps" SE- found and bought 7

A lot of these were luck. But they were pretty spotty to find

JR0d28
02-02-2012, 11:09 PM
I am glad got Lowlight at Target

Destro got one in trade another at a comic shop

Shadow Tracker and Wave 5 Commander in trade

Nirvana
02-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Only Money Bags was difficult since he didn't get out in an assortment after the Wave 4 case. He sat for like $10 to $12 shipped on eBay for the longest time, too.

Beckley
02-02-2012, 11:14 PM
i think something is going on where hasbro knows how to play with the collecting communities to stir up interest.

im not saying i understand the plan, just that things dont add up and i dont believe it can all be because of incompetence or apathy on their part.

Do you remember when Hasbro was claiming they made equal numbers of all the MASS Device sets?

I just can't imagine there is some warehouse somewhere full of Best of 80's sets and Jungle BATS.

I don't pretend to know what's going on either, I just know I would like to give Hasbro 90% of my disposable income for Rock Vipers, Jungle BATS, and HISS Scouts.

Cobra Terrorist
02-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Hasbro distribution is always a "nerd-rage" kinda thing. Transformers fans have the same heartburn.

I was lucky enough to find ONE Low Light and Shadow Tracker, but never saw a Money Bags Destro. I did end up getting one from a kick-ass 'Tanker, though.

Quite often, we'll all be searching for figs like they're the damn Ark Of The Covenant - and then they suddenly show up at Ross/Marshall's/TJ Maxx at a discount price! It doesn't make sense.

Another scenario is that Canada is pegwarming the darn things, while we're starving for them (and vice-versa).

BTW, which one is "Straps" SE?

JR0d28
02-02-2012, 11:20 PM
POC in my definition is referred as Prototype of Cobra. After the Wave 5 figures they all went 30th anniversary.

Unclassified
02-02-2012, 11:25 PM
i got most of mine from uman.com and niksal.com , lol.. those two helped me out big time.

Xsoldier
02-02-2012, 11:34 PM
was it poor distribution?

was it low production numbers?

did someone forget about a warehouse somewhere?

I was looking at the reviews over at generalsjoes.com. BTW never type generaljoes.com it some virgin paintball site.

anyway,

i was reminiscing about the POC line, waves 1 and 2 hit hard like normal, waves 3 and 4 were there, but you better be at the store when they first open if you wanted a snow balls chance in hell to get those figures and in my neck of the woods, i never saw waves 5 or 6. Not even a single trace of these waves. i wouldnt even know what a rock viper was if it wasnt for that website. yes a couple of the figures in those waves are repaints, but they are awesome! i love all the accesories that came with them, and some really good parts for customs, however, i never got a chance to see these at retail.

I feel cheated almost, that as a collector i didnt really get a chance to get those figures or "double up" on some of the more popular characters from the POC line. yeah i know, i should have bought them online.

lowlight going for $30 on ebay
money bags destro going for $30-$40
"straps" snake eyes in the mid $20s
shadow tracker can hit $20
hell even snow job is in the mid $20s

what the hell happened here?

you already know what the penguin thinks...

You forgot General Hawk. :)

I was fortunate to get the only two I never saw in the wild from the trade-em-up tanker solid.wii I saw everything else but De$tro and Shadow Tracker in the wild multiple times. I think a lot of it was the fact many things were picked up as troop builders. Heck 9 or 10 lowlights went through my hands. I think there are a lot of them sitting somewhere just due to the level of distribution variances across the country. A lot of it didn't make sense. Walmart's not carrying joes didn't help and caused them to sell to someone else.

I just bought a stupid cylce armor for $40 shipped yesterday...bam now they are in the US. Only thing I ever jumped on at a high price that I'll probably see at discount stores collecting dust in a year.

I know my local ma & pa shops have lots of POC figures. They choose to sell them locally. (yes at about $11-$15 apeice) But I can get most anything for that price. except zombie vipers. I can't find them. :(

I think someday there will be plenty of PoC to go around.

POC in my definition is referred as Prototype of Cobra. After the Wave 5 figures they all went 30th anniversary.

even 30th seemed too short lived.

oh. and what is "virgin paintball"?

MeLikeJinx
02-02-2012, 11:40 PM
POC Wave 2 happened... that wave, more specifically Arctic Destro... was what screwed everything up, especially at Target.

Jinx723
02-02-2012, 11:59 PM
So, why is it we always blame Hasbro for distribution problems?

They are not the ones at fault. They produce the figures and ship them to the buyers which are, wait for it, Target, Toys R Us, & Walmart. These three morons were doing just fine with the 25th/ME era of G.I. Joe. Then the movie came out,

"OMG, G.I. Joe has a Movie coming out. Let's order a shit load because these are gonna sell like hot cakes."

6 months go by, a year goes by. ROC doesn't sell anywhere they expected it to do. Now, Hasbro actually starts making decent, even awesome figures with POC and continue the awesomeness to the current 30th Anniversary. Problem is, retailers won't touch the Joe brand with a ten foot pole because of ROC.

Here is were I blame Hasbro. They produces POC and other non-movie lines in lower numbers. I can understand that, Joe isn't and never will be the hot seller it was in the 80s. Deal with it, if you can't build a time machine and go back to 1985. For some bizzare, unexplainable reason Hasbro has the habit of flooding the stores with 2nd Waves. This happens every year right before the Holidays.
The majority of us get what we want when it comes out and that's it. We empty the pegs and what does Hasbro do, ship out more of the same shit we already have. Hence why 3rd-4th Waves become a pain in the ass to find.

Unless we grill these guys at every convention, every Q&A, things are not gonna change. They say that they listen to us the Collector's, they read the boards. Well, we complain about the same thing every year and I see no change. Maybe Hasbro should just release two Waves every year and that's it. Toys don't sell year round, it's in the summer and the Holiday season, that's it.

steve_smmr
02-03-2012, 12:20 AM
i have to say... the only one i care about is low-light. me never finding one and not currently owning one i'm taking as karma for luckily finding the 'best of 80s' dvd set at target when those were stupid to find.

crock master
02-03-2012, 12:21 AM
the collecters were on Pursuit and the cobra's won

the odinson
02-03-2012, 12:25 AM
BTW, which one is "Straps" SE?

poc wave 3, the all black one with 2 heads.

Gyre-Viper
02-03-2012, 12:27 AM
In before "crucial."

Wave 1 exceeded expectations (they said it in a Q+A) but I think Wave 2 (Jungle-Viper etc) underperformed in comparison to Wave 1 and brought things to a screeching halt that no one saw coming.

Sciencefriction
02-03-2012, 12:31 AM
In before "crucial."

Wave 1 exceeded expectations (they said it in a Q+A) but I think Wave 2 (Jungle-Viper etc) underperformed in comparison to Wave 1 and brought things to a screeching halt that no one saw coming.

You know, the way companies react to things sometimes makes no sense to me. It's like you.. you have one great wave, then a good one, and you don't really want to give the other waves a chance? I'm not Hasbro, but retail. Everything is too greed driven these days, everyone just wants a quick buck, they don't want to invest in something and make money in a long, overall even time. Maybe I'm just wrong, but it seems that way.

Unclassified
02-03-2012, 12:32 AM
i liked the waves after one better though. but the whole line was a good line, i will say that. i bought em. i rather have 25th, but i still bought em.

Cacadooky
02-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Well buddy, I started collecting joes at the time wave 4-5 came out, I was excited and had no idea that hasbro was messing with the POC line and that stores would be dry. I'm 80's kid and thought I could walk in TRU and bam! Find a freaking GI JOR! Ummmm nope not the case. That's when I joined the TANK, and figured out how " gi Joe toy collecting" is done. I went to every toy show in NORcal and picked up from money bags destro , to lowlight at a parking lot toy sale. Then I ordered one case and the rest fell on eBay, now I have all of them except the cycle and hiss scout. Hope they hit my Ross!

MeLikeJinx
02-03-2012, 12:45 AM
So, why is it we always blame Hasbro for distribution problems?
Actually, this one is kinda Hasbro's fault IMO because IIRC... there was a shortage of POC Wave 1 (they just didn't make enough)... so when everywhere sold out of that pretty quick... there was like a two month dry spell and then like all the stores over compensated for the dry spell buy ordering tons of Wave 2 which came out a couple weeks earlier than anticipated. And like nobody bought Arctic Destro, but they kept on getting in fresh cases of POC Wave 2.

spiderpumpkin
02-03-2012, 12:51 AM
Will POC be worth a lot more or less in 10 years?

5h4rK
02-03-2012, 12:52 AM
Pegs are full of wave 5 around here these days.. no wave 6 and 30th ann. figures spotted so far :-(

wormser
02-03-2012, 01:01 AM
poc didnt take off with no one but collectors of the gi joe brand. they should just stick with ARAH style remakes.

DrKain
02-03-2012, 02:06 AM
Here are the POC figures I saw in stores (and so you are aware, I got to at least 3-4 Walmarts, 5 Targets, and 2 TRU a week):

Wave 1
■Cobra Commander
■Duke (Jungle Assault)
■Snake Eyes (Desert Battle)
■Snow Job (Arctic Threat)
■Storm Shadow (Desert Battle)

Wave 2
■Destro (Arctic Threat)
■Jungle Viper (Jungle Assault)
■Snake Eyes (Jungle Assault)

Wave 3
■Duke (Desert Battle)

Adamantite
02-03-2012, 04:21 AM
POC was, in my opinion, GIJoe at its peak. The modern and grittier reenvisioning of favorite characters was exactly what I wanted to see. Sure, I can appreciate 30th's accurate updates like Lifeline, Sci-Fi and Airtight but POC was something else. It just plain spoke to me as an adult collector with its references to pop culture and realistic outlook.

I hope we go back to that style at some point.

Super Beast
02-03-2012, 04:38 AM
All of them besides the Low-Light wave were peg warming for a while in my area. TG SE never showed up in droves, but all of the others did!

In retail, I had only seen Lowlight around six times. Hawk once, TGSE once.

Smokebomb
02-03-2012, 06:07 AM
Wave 3 SE peg warmed in Wisconsin When I lived there. Alot of it is location and concetration of collectors I think. He was in that revision case right?

cobralalalala!
02-03-2012, 06:38 AM
I learned a long time ago to just preorder everything from BBTS, SmallJoes, Kokomo, etc. And thank god I did, because our distribution here in Vegas has been terrible. Each TRU received 1 case of the Techno Viper wave, sometimes a second. and the previous 30th and PoC waves were spotty at best.

I'm hoping the movie line won't be hard to find, because I would really prefer to support the movie line at retail.

Jmacq1
02-03-2012, 06:54 AM
Some of the earlier posters have already puzzled it out, but just to break it down:

RoC is overordered and underperforms. This leads to basically a 6 month gap of no new Joe product while Hasbro retools the heads on several PoC figures to avoid movie likenesses.

Retailers are sour on the Joe brand, do not order PoC wave 1 heavily. Wave 1 hits, and the initial "collector rush" is enough to wipe out the wave almost instantly.

Retailers panic, thinking they've got the "next hot thing" and buy PoC wave 2 at levels approaching RoC. Target in particular (from what I've seen) just goes nuts on that wave. The initial "collector rush" hits, and then...there's a crapload of Wave 2 sitting on shelves. Jungle-Viper, despite being awesome, doesn't take off as a "mass" troop builder, Arctic Destro, despite being a perfectly decent figure, becomes a punchline.

Retailers dial WAY back on their orders of waves 3 and especially 4, which when coupled with the glut of Wave 2 still clogging shelves, makes those waves more scarce. This is partially mitigated several months later when refresher cases start to hit, but certain figures (particularly Low-Light) remain hard to find.

By the time Waves 5 and 6 hit, retailers already know Joe is in for a "rebranding" -and- they have the misfortune of hitting during the time of the year that most retailers only care about summer movie-oriented toys. Ergo, basically one shipment of each wave goes out, and no more.

So basically, Wave 2 "killed" PoC via overordering. I do think in years to come, some of the PoC figures will definitely be among the more rare/valuable of mass retail Joe figures. Especially if some of them don't see re-releases in other formats.

zedhatch
02-03-2012, 07:18 AM
POC was much easier to find than 30th wave 3 & 4, but I do think Hasbro does this on purpose, it seems to happen too often for them not to know what's going on.

ChaplainAsst
02-03-2012, 07:19 AM
PoC had a few issues that stem from Hasbro wanting to have enough confidence to build a line that would be collector oriented after the RoC disappointment.

1) They reduced production. This has been a constant complaint, particularly in the later waves. From a Hasbro point of view, they did EXACTLY what they expected - they sold completely out at retail. It would seem they took a low risk plan for those waves.

2) They pushed troop builders ... hard. First it was the Alley Viper. Then it was the Jungle Viper, Shock Trooper and Rock Viper, Money Bags Destro (let's face it: if we could, we would have army built him!), then the final wave with Cobra troopers and Vipers and Steel Brigade. Other figures, like Destro, were highly sought after for customizing - like Hawk, Low Light, and Skydive. This moved the line through at a brisk pace. It also made buying a whole wave at once popular - both online and in stores. Not a bad thing, but with lower production, there were less figures to go around.

3) Not many revision waves. Sure, the wave 1 figures came back last year at some strange points, but we never got a revision wave of some of the more popular figures. Instead, we were flooded with army builders. This is a reminder of the old adage - be careful what you wish for. How often was this a complaint during the 25th line?

4) The bad figures. Some strange choices for SE and SS gave them spring action. Neither were good choices. Arctic Destro, IMO, was not a failure as a figure, but rather due to most folks buying their fill from China while they waited on PoC to hit. They definitely overpacked the figure too. Destro just wasn't that big a hit, but it could have just as easily been Winter coat CC, who seems to have been spared because of the low production numbers. All in all, these figures slowed PoC down in receiving future waves.

4) The vehicle debacle. I could almost summarize this with just the words Brown Hiss Tank, but there is of course more. That was an incredible mistake from Hasbro - and one that they admitted. Some liked it, most don't, and it wasn't something they planned. So, these jumped off the shelves initially ... and then sat. The Vamps moved briskly. And then one day - they correct color Hiss showed up at Ross. WITH the Vamps. Also, there were the Mechs. We got the less desirable ones and never saw the ones people really wanted - that had the Desert Scorpion figure and the Alpine figure. So these ended up at discount stores too. The vehicles may very well hurt retail orders for GI Joe in general. (The alpha vehicles had a pretty poor track record at getting on the shelves - they seemed to get there but many were clearanced as soon as they hit the shelves at WM).

5) Two per box. This was part of Hasbro's plan to push whole waves to collectors instead of selling one figure at a time. This was perfect for MOC collectors - one to open and one to save. It also worked well for army builders and for trading. But I can't help but wondering if this hurt the line at retail, as lower production numbers meant fewer figures made it to retail?

All in all, some of this was Hasbro's business model, some were production mistakes, and some was just what happened when things got delayed after RoC. Since then, we are seeing fewer figures leaked from China, far fewer vehicles, and far more troop building waves.

It will be interesting if Hasbro ever returns to those waves that were here one day, and gone the next. I doubt it - we never saw a return to the Resolute wave of 25th, and those were never in huge numbers at retail. Maybe Hasbro felt like giving us Low Light in Marauders colors was enough?

What PoC changed was collectors buying whole waves instead of waiting for figures to hit the pegs. This worked well for everyone when HTS had enough stock. BBTS and others followed suit. This is now often the norm for collectors. During PoC, Ross became Hasbro's primary outlet for getting rid of figures that were not sold at retail or were poor sellers (or just a good place to send overflow).

As 30th has come and gone for the most part, it will be interesting how Hasbro goes forward with the movie line.

Jmacq1
02-03-2012, 07:26 AM
Oh, we know how Hasbro will go forward with the movie line: By cajoling retailers into ordering massive amounts of the stuff.

Though to be fair, the retailers do seem to be ever-so-slightly learning their lessons. Or at least they are with Hasbro product. The "spreads" for Thor and Captain America were pretty modest. Of course Dark of the Moon was huge, but they're a proven hit so that's to be expected. The one that surprised the heck out of me this year was Green Lantern...not that it wasn't successful (it had "bomb" written all over it), but that retailers bought into the line so heavily.

My personal suspicion is that Retaliation will get a "push" that's about equal to what Iron Man 2 got: Bigger than the recent Marvel efforts (Thor and Captain America) but not as big as Hasbro's "biggest" pushes (Transformers movies and Rise of Cobra).

But ultimately the nature of Joe (being a Hasbro property as opposed to a licensed one) will insure it probably gets a slightly bigger push than it otherwise might have (it could easily be kept at a "Thor/Captain America" sized line otherwise).

djdmac24
02-03-2012, 07:29 AM
i have to say... the only one i care about is low-light. me never finding one and not currently owning one i'm taking as karma for luckily finding the 'best of 80s' dvd set at target when those were stupid to find.

Dude, if u have a renegades stormy your willing to give up then I have an extra Low-Light that I'll trade u straight up. Also still want the TTT comic con slaughter but I know thats asking alot..lol.

CobraCrimson
02-03-2012, 09:19 AM
I found (by sheer stroke of dumb luck) PoC wave 5 in a KMart of all places sitting on the pegs before Black Friday. That was less than a week after buying the last ones from wave 4 & 5 that I needed off ebay since I missed out on my BBTS preorders for them. Now with the 30th line, I just get my BBTS preorders for wave 3 & 4 in and the next day the wife and I were walking around Walmart (that hasn't had anything at all Joe wise since RoC!) and what catches my eye but wave 3 & 4 sitting on the pegs along with a Crimson Hiss & Black Dragon VTOL! Of course there was no Storm Shadow since that is the only one that I didn't get from BBTS :(

But people all over are having a hard time finding these and then boom, they show up in BFE!

Typhis
02-03-2012, 09:40 AM
I order from BBTS so I don't have to worry about finding them or not finding them.

EduardimusPrime
02-03-2012, 09:53 AM
90% of all the figures I've bought since 2009 (when I started collecting) was purchased online from BBTS. If I waited to find everything in the wild, I can gaurantee I would never have the collection I have now. After all is said and done, I have duplicates of most of the more sought after figures and with the pile of loot feature I paid less than 9.00 per figure. And that's after factoring in the shipping cost. I think I made out pretty good.

sharky
02-03-2012, 10:03 AM
The majority of us get what we want when it comes out and that's it. We empty the pegs and what does Hasbro do, ship out more of the same shit we already have. Hence why 3rd-4th Waves become a pain in the ass to find.

This really sums things up nicely.

Also, get ready for more of this when GI Joe 2 figures hit and the Sci-fi wave is nowhere to be found.

Psycho Joe Guy
02-03-2012, 10:10 AM

POC and later 30th were very much collector-geared lines. One look at the level of detail and articulation in other Hasbro 1:18 shows that GI Joe is head and shoulders above Marvel Universe and Star Wars. As such, I'm guessing the figures are more expensive to produce (which is somewhat offset by being an owned property) and since retail won't do much mass stocking of Joe since ROC laid a big shiny plastic turd, Hasbro played the low-volume high quality card and let the hype develop itself on the internet (and probably seeded some as well).

Bitching collectors who want MORE of your product are a good thing for them and my guess is they run an estimate on the minimum production for mass market penetration and produce slightly more with options for refresh stock that if unsold can be recycled into other toys rather than being dumped to Ross or Marshalls for a poor margin. IMO, the initial Hasbro plan for 30th waves 3 and 4 was probably for Christmas only, just like POC. Instead of poorly distributed 5 and 6 waves, since 30th has proven such a good seller,especially in places like Walgreens and as a lead-in/current shelf presence to the movie toys, we are hopefully seeing restock of those waves now in much greater distribution than POC 5 and 6 ever got.

The vehicle debacle. I could almost summarize this with just the words Brown Hiss Tank, but there is of course more. That was an incredible mistake from Hasbro - and one that they admitted. Some liked it, most don't, and it wasn't something they planned. So, these jumped off the shelves initially ... and then sat. The Vamps moved briskly. And then one day - they correct color Hiss showed up at Ross. WITH the Vamps.

I have never seen either of those at Ross, not even in pictures here, and believe me, I check often. Are you sure about that?

During PoC, Ross became Hasbro's primary outlet for getting rid of figures that were not sold at retail or were poor sellers (or just a good place to send overflow).

Other than vehicles and exclusives, I have never even heard of a regular line POC figure at Ross. Again, are you sure about that?

OSOK
02-03-2012, 10:53 AM
oh. and what is "virgin paintball"?
haha i was refering to people that play paintball as virgins, i should have worded it better ;)

DrKain
02-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Some of the earlier posters have already puzzled it out, but just to break it down:

RoC is overordered and underperforms. This leads to basically a 6 month gap of no new Joe product while Hasbro retools the heads on several PoC figures to avoid movie likenesses.

Retailers are sour on the Joe brand, do not order PoC wave 1 heavily. Wave 1 hits, and the initial "collector rush" is enough to wipe out the wave almost instantly.

Retailers panic, thinking they've got the "next hot thing" and buy PoC wave 2 at levels approaching RoC. Target in particular (from what I've seen) just goes nuts on that wave. The initial "collector rush" hits, and then...there's a crapload of Wave 2 sitting on shelves. Jungle-Viper, despite being awesome, doesn't take off as a "mass" troop builder, Arctic Destro, despite being a perfectly decent figure, becomes a punchline.

Retailers dial WAY back on their orders of waves 3 and especially 4, which when coupled with the glut of Wave 2 still clogging shelves, makes those waves more scarce. This is partially mitigated several months later when refresher cases start to hit, but certain figures (particularly Low-Light) remain hard to find.

By the time Waves 5 and 6 hit, retailers already know Joe is in for a "rebranding" -and- they have the misfortune of hitting during the time of the year that most retailers only care about summer movie-oriented toys. Ergo, basically one shipment of each wave goes out, and no more.

So basically, Wave 2 "killed" PoC via overordering. I do think in years to come, some of the PoC figures will definitely be among the more rare/valuable of mass retail Joe figures. Especially if some of them don't see re-releases in other formats.

And the sad thing is, this is going to happen again next year.

vkat7phish
02-03-2012, 11:42 AM
I ordered the POC and 30th waves from BBTS to be on the safe side. I picked up some extras of the first couple waves of POC I did actually find in stores. When the 30th waves hit, I found Stalker and an IG but since then have only seen the first Renegades wave sitting on the pegs.

ChaplainAsst
02-03-2012, 11:01 PM
I have never seen either of those at Ross, not even in pictures here, and believe me, I check often. Are you sure about that?

Other than vehicles and exclusives, I have never even heard of a regular line POC figure at Ross. Again, are you sure about that?

Yes, I'm sure about the vamp and hiss at Ross. Not only was it well documented, I own a few of these vehicles. Look up the story ... Or do you need pictures?

You inserted a word I didn't use - regular line- about the figures. I just said figures. While I have heard stories of poc figures, I was referring to the spirit and quick kick figures. Yes, I am sure of that. And no, that distinction doesn't undermine my point.

The thing with Ross is that not every store gets the same stock, nor will you necessarily get every toy that may come inside your local store. But that doesn't make it any less true for someone else.

Psycho Joe Guy
02-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Yes, I'm sure about the vamp and hiss at Ross. Not only was it well documented, I own a few of these vehicles. Look up the story ... Or do you need pictures?

You inserted a word I didn't use - regular line- about the figures. I just said figures. While I have heard stories of poc figures, I was referring to the spirit and quick kick figures. Yes, I am sure of that. And no, that distinction doesn't undermine my point.

The thing with Ross is that not every store gets the same stock, nor will you necessarily get every toy that may come inside your local store. But that doesn't make it any less true for someone else.

There's no need for hostility. I asked. I really had not seen any references to the POC HISS at Ross before your post. As far as inserting any words into your characterizations of what constitutes the genetal term 'POC figures,' it doesn't take any creative interpretation to infer that you were referring to general stock POC figures because you did not specify you were referring to exclusives only. You can also save your lecture about individual Ross store availability/stock. It should be pretty plain that most Joe toys end up in more affluent metropolitan area Ross stores, which was why I asked what I did in regards to the vehicles.

JR0d28
02-03-2012, 11:53 PM
POC is the second coming of ROC

(Ross Owns Cobra!)

ChaplainAsst
02-04-2012, 03:38 AM
There's no need for hostility. I asked. I really had not seen any references to the POC HISS at Ross before your post. As far as inserting any words into your characterizations of what constitutes the genetal term 'POC figures,' it doesn't take any creative interpretation to infer that you were referring to general stock POC figures because you did not specify you were referring to exclusives only. You can also save your lecture about individual Ross store availability/stock. It should be pretty plain that most Joe toys end up in more affluent metropolitan area Ross stores, which was why I asked what I did in regards to the vehicles.

Look, let me be clear: I'm not being hostile. You are. Any time someone questions someone's integrity - the whole "are you sure of that?" questions - it is inherently hostile.

As I said before - I just said figures. You inferred incorrectly. That is your problem, not mine. Figures are just figures. What difference does it make if they are exclusives or general stock? Once again, you are making a distinction to seek to undermine my point for some strange reason. And the only point I was trying to make is that during PoC, Ross became a dumping place for quite a bit of PoC stuff - both vehicles and figures. I don't see the need for distinction. It is simply the truth.

And I didn't lecture you - you took it that way. I was trying to help you understand that just because you hadn't seen a particular toy at your Ross didn't mean that they didn't exist. What gets my goat is that you doubted my word when there are literally hundreds - if not thousands - of posts about the Ross Hiss Tanks and Vamps. I don't live in metropolitan area, and yet we saw a number of restocks of these vehicles. On the other hand, I have yet to see a Quick Kick or Spirit, and yet I trust others that they were indeed sold at Ross.

Sorry if you took offense. I was just giving my two cents on why PoC was hard to find in later waves and how so much has changed in collecting since the line started.

RuckusJr
02-04-2012, 03:40 AM

You're not Norwegian, are you?

Dragasses
02-04-2012, 04:37 AM
It died, and I cried.

Psycho Joe Guy
02-04-2012, 05:15 AM
Look, let me be clear: I'm not being hostile. You are. Any time someone questions someone's integrity - the whole "are you sure of that?" questions - it is inherently hostile.

I must have missed the memo, because my asking 'are you sure about that?' was just an honest question as it was intended and I'm not aware of any other meaning. I don't know how in the world I could have asked that question any LESS hostile. Please explain to me how something that incredibly innocuous was interpreted as hostility, because I really sat for a minute and tried to think of a nice way of asking about HISS tanks at Ross without sounding like I was arguing and that was the best I could do. I'm sorry that offended you. If I sound tweaked now, it's because you've given me a pretty exasperating response.

As I said before - I just said figures. You inferred incorrectly. That is your problem, not mine.

I think I'm beginning to see where all this 'hostility' is coming from... Seriously, since you obviously have access to better stocked Ross stores than I, I asked if you had also seen regular stock POC. You can condescend about my incorrect inference all you like, but even in your response...

While I have heard stories of poc figures, I was referring to the spirit and quick kick figures.

you still use the same nomenclature in reference to two completely separate entities, so as my initial inference WAS incorrect, you are still being vague and misleading in you reference to 'POC figures at Ross.'

Figures are just figures. What difference does it make if they are exclusives or general stock?

Exclusives are generally produced in smaller numbers and intentioned for a specific market, hence the term: "exclusive." They are not part of regular retail assortments and are marketed from Hasbro differently than regular retail figures. What you said makes it sound like all the 'missing' POC figures from waves 3,4,5 and 6 could possibly be stocked at Ross, which to my knowledge they haven't been, nor is it likely that they will be. I think this myth is circulated here on purpose by a few posters to get people's hopes up of finding figures they missed at first run retail so they will be more likely to bite for an expensive eBay auctions, sold by the same posters. I'm not saying you do it; I'm just saying it's a running observation I've made about this part of the 'Tank.

Once again, you are making a distinction to seek to undermine my point for some strange reason. And the only point I was trying to make is that during PoC, Ross became a dumping place for quite a bit of PoC stuff - both vehicles and figures. I don't see the need for distinction. It is simply the truth.

I think my previous paragraph should explain that well.

And I didn't lecture you - you took it that way. I was trying to help you understand that just because you hadn't seen a particular toy at your Ross didn't mean that they didn't exist.

...no that's not a lecture at all... TRW( (WHY is there no "rolleyes" smilie????)

What gets my goat is that you doubted my word when there are literally hundreds - if not thousands - of posts about the Ross Hiss Tanks and Vamps.

....which is why, yet again, I ASKED you where to find them, posts, pics anything! All of the references I have seen in the Ross megathread talked about other 25th, POC, and Resolute stuff. I didn't doubt 'your word;' I asked you if your were sure because I've seen people use talk about a lot of 25th HISS'es there, but not POC HISS'es and I just wanted clarification.

I don't live in metropolitan area, and yet we saw a number of restocks of these vehicles. On the other hand, I have yet to see a Quick Kick or Spirit, and yet I trust others that they were indeed sold at Ross.

Now, you've made an incorrect inference about me. I never stated or implied that you anything were less than honest, just that I had no personal knowledge of what you casually referred to and I wanted you to point me in the right direction so I could check those posts out. I'll ask again: could you PLEASE provide some links to any of the "thousands" of posts to which you referred so that I can possible ascertain which regions may get vehicles versus figures for my own edification?

Sorry if you took offense.

I don't believe that. You've been expressly hostile and condescending. The rest of your post contradicts that. I would apologize for offending you, but anyone who gets so riled up over a question as benign as "are you sure about that?" comes from a place that I can't understand enough to not offend. You don't get to lecture me twice and then pretend it's all cool just because you say you're sorry and have me go along with it. If you want to grow up and stop being so damn pissy and just answer some simple questions, then maybe I might believe you when you say something like that down the road, but after your performance in this thread: no way.

ChaplainAsst
02-04-2012, 06:02 AM
I must have missed the memo, because my asking 'are you sure about that?' was just an honest question as it was intended and I'm not aware of any other meaning. I don't know how in the world I could have asked that question any LESS hostile. Please explain to me how something that incredibly innocuous was interpreted as hostility, because I really sat for a minute and tried to think of a nice way of asking about HISS tanks at Ross without sounding like I was arguing and that was the best I could do. I'm sorry that offended you. If I sound tweaked now, it's because you've given me a pretty exasperating response.

I think I'm beginning to see where all this 'hostility' is coming from... Seriously, since you obviously have access to better stocked Ross stores than I, I asked if you had also seen regular stock POC. You can condescend about my incorrect inference all you like, but even in your response...

you still use the same nomenclature in reference to two completely separate entities, so as my initial inference WAS incorrect, you are still being vague and misleading in you reference to 'POC figures at Ross.'

Exclusives are generally produced in smaller numbers and intentioned for a specific market, hence the term: "exclusive." They are not part of regular retail assortments and are marketed from Hasbro differently than regular retail figures. What you said makes it sound like all the 'missing' POC figures from waves 3,4,5 and 6 could possibly be stocked at Ross, which to my knowledge they haven't been, nor is it likely that they will be. I think this myth is circulated here on purpose by a few posters to get people's hopes up of finding figures they missed at first run retail so they will be more likely to bite for an expensive eBay auctions, sold by the same posters. I'm not saying you do it; I'm just saying it's a running observation I've made about this part of the 'Tank.

I think my previous paragraph should explain that well.

...no that's not a lecture at all... TRW( (WHY is there no "rolleyes" smilie????)

....which is why, yet again, I ASKED you where to find them, posts, pics anything! All of the references I have seen in the Ross megathread talked about other 25th, POC, and Resolute stuff. I didn't doubt 'your word;' I asked you if your were sure because I've seen people use talk about a lot of 25th HISS'es there, but not POC HISS'es and I just wanted clarification.

Now, you've made an incorrect inference about me. I never stated or implied that you anything were less than honest, just that I had no personal knowledge of what you casually referred to and I wanted you to point me in the right direction so I could check those posts out. I'll ask again: could you PLEASE provide some links to any of the "thousands" of posts to which you referred so that I can possible ascertain which regions may get vehicles versus figures for my own edification?

I don't believe that. You've been expressly hostile and condescending. The rest of your post contradicts that. I would apologize for offending you, but anyone who gets so riled up over a question as benign as "are you sure about that?" comes from a place that I can't understand enough to not offend. You don't get to lecture me twice and then pretend it's all cool just because you say you're sorry and have me go along with it. If you want to grow up and stop being so damn pissy and just answer some simple questions, then maybe I might believe you when you say something like that down the road, but after your performance in this thread: no way.

Look, I'm sorry I offended you. Obviously, we got off on the wrong foot and I am not communicating well to you. I apologize if I am coming of hostile or condescending. Clearly, the phrase, "Are you sure about that" comes off differently to me than to you. Maybe it is how I read it or a cultural thing - I don't know. Clearly what I am saying is coming off poorly to you as well. At this point, that doesn't matter. That I upset you does It matters enough to me that I apologize - now for a second time. I'm sorry if you took the first apology as insincerity. I hope yo do not take it in that manner a second time.

Psycho Joe Guy
02-04-2012, 06:53 AM
Apology accepted. I wasn't trying to be a jerk and I'm sorry that I couldn't communicate as well as I would have liked. I didn't get a chance to say it before but I found your first post very astute and perceptive. I disagree about the brown HISS; I like them alot and think the new Retaliation retro-looking ones are far worse than a bad color choice, but other than that and our obvious miscommunication, you put up some well thought-out and insightful ideas that resonated well with me, which was the reason I asked you about the Ross HISS'es in the first place.

Jmacq1
02-04-2012, 09:00 AM
And the sad thing is, this is going to happen again next year.

I wouldn't be so sure.

More to the point: If the Retaliation toys bomb, I think we won't see ANY Joe product on-shelves again unless/until a Retaliation sequel is made, or Hasbro reimagines the brand from the ground-up. Retailer's patience with the line isn't going to last forever, particularly when many of them are continuing to shrink their toy aisle space.

CVdelgado
02-04-2012, 09:05 AM
man i bought the shit out of POC.

POC Cobra

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture46419-dscn2036.jpg

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture46421-dscn2039.jpg

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture46420-dscn2037.jpg

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture48112-dscn3007a.jpg

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture48111-dscn3102a.jpg

New Era Joes

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture49238-new-era-joes.jpg

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture49236-new-era-joes-1.jpg

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture49237-new-era-joes-2.jpg

MOC POC

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture48158-dscn3106a.jpg

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture49169-dscn4785a.jpg

CVdelgado
02-04-2012, 09:06 AM

now, looks like for retaliation i wont be buying shit. :D haha.

spot138
02-04-2012, 09:27 AM
POC was like a gawddam urban legend around here!

Nerever saw a damn thing except three pegs 7 figures thick of Arctic Destros at Target.

OSOK
02-04-2012, 04:29 PM

Nerever saw a damn thing except three pegs 7 figures thick of Arctic Destros at Target.
damn, where are you man, the moon?

Hat Trick
02-04-2012, 07:09 PM

Exactly what it's like in my area....f%$*ing bull$#!*.....

Psycho Joe Guy
02-04-2012, 11:39 PM

I took a similar approach as you to POC, (though I don't have pics) and I'm also equally unimpressed with what we've seen from Retaliation so far. I feared it would be a regression into ROC style cheap-crapdom, and what pics we've seen so far support that. It's not all bad, just mostly. My wife is very happy about it.

Scotty97
02-04-2012, 11:44 PM
I just kick myself repeatedly because I can't even count how many Wave 4 figs I left on pegs all over. Probably 10 sets or more. I saw so many, I thought "ah, F it, these are never going to be hard to find". Whoops. And I'm not saying that to brag, for sure. It was one of the dumbest things I've ever done.

solid.wii
02-04-2012, 11:50 PM
I blame the Green Lantern movie figures. Damn waste of plastic.

solid.wii
02-04-2012, 11:53 PM

Awesome pics.

Jaybird
02-05-2012, 12:20 AM

Yes. Yes, you did. :)

Cowboy
02-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Two words-jungle bats.
Want them in multiples and never saw a one.

gator06
02-05-2012, 01:48 AM
I saw a LOT at my local target last year when I first noticed that joes didn't suck any more. There must have been 4-5 columns of pegs full. When I first noticed them, they were on sale for something like 5-something. I thought "those are cool, I should get some sometime". A month later when I went back to pick up a bunch there was maybe 2 or 3 pegs of arctic destro and snake eyes. I got one of each. I'm kicking myself now and trying to piece together what I want.
All I had to do was put out my hand and pile them in my cart...., go to the next aisle and buy 3 plastic bins to store them in....

I had no idea that they wouldn't be there later. When I was a kid there was ALWAYS a full section fully stocked. I assumed that's the way it was.

Makes me think, if that's my biggest regret right now then life is pretty frakking awesome!

TheSerpentKing
02-05-2012, 02:06 AM
I only saw Low Light once and had to pass on him cause he had paint chipped off his nose and I never did find Shadow Tracker in stores or the POC Vipers with blue arm guards. It seemed in my area that after Wave 3, they would get only 1 case of the other waves and that was it and if you didn't get the figures right then and there, you were SOL unless you went online.

Funnel Rat
02-05-2012, 03:05 AM
Two words-jungle bats.
Want them in multiples and never saw a one.

As a Canadian Joe collector I was dying to find just one Jungle Bat at retail with zero results. So damn depressing.

ogre_h
02-05-2012, 01:02 PM
I never saw the General Hawk/Crazy Legs wave. The only reason I got a lowlight and a ShadowTracker was because I got a case on HTS, and. Never saw him in the wild and can't afford $30 a pop for one figure on evilbay. And don't forget PoC Firefly. He's another one.
My TRUs really cut back on Joe. And Walmart stopped entirely.
My target has wave 1 Renegades at $10.89! Oh yes they're peg warming Duke, Firefly, and CC. I'm shocked!
As someone who doesn't live near a Ross I'm a little peeved/jealous that some of the harder to find and excess stuff is showing up over there, especially when HTS isn't stocking anything! You'd think the Hasbro subsidiary website would actually carry a greater stock of Hasbro products, especially hard to find stuff, rather than having next to no stock at all. I know they're the first place many collectors go, but to not have any stock of later wave singles is really weird.

OSOK
02-08-2012, 03:57 PM
i started a thread on this already, but im still hoping this is legit, i thought i had pre-ordered it but i guess i didnt. I put one in for the second one... fingers crossed....

GI Joe 2010 Series 02 Revision 04 - Case of 12 - GI Joe 2010 - 2012 GI Joe 3.75" Figures (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS19356&mode=retail)

GI Joe 2011 Series 02 Revision 04 - Case of 12 - GI Joe 2010 - 2012 GI Joe 3.75" Figures (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS19775&mode=retail)