PDA

View Full Version : Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls

Lody
01-13-2012, 10:05 AM
I spent about two years in Los Angeles and came across Ross out there. I had never been there and saw no reason to either.

I recall finding the Firefly/Greenshirts packs from Toys R Us after someone posted here that they were available.

My question is: have these stores always carried toys and similar merchandise like that or were those initial sightings the first time we started seeing them on a regular basis. If not, what came before them?

I used to hit up Marshals all the time and don't recall ever seeing toys let alone anything I would ever want.

sharky
01-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Hmm, that's a good question. I think I remember seeing toys way before I was back into 25th Joes, but I was only collecting Japanese stuff at the time and didn't really care to check.

solid.wii
01-13-2012, 10:09 AM
I know with my company since the recession, we've had had to sell off excess inventory to discount stores. More than we have in the past. Normally our branded stuff doesn't get sold to discounters since it can be harmful to the brand.

lowlight27
01-13-2012, 10:10 AM
I remember that they had a much smaller selection, but then I think after KBs and other toystores went defunct, these stores started picking up the slack.

VideoViper
01-13-2012, 10:18 AM
They always had a toy section as long as I can remember, but it usually has crappy toys that couldn't sell when they were discounted at Walmart

Ross - Anything good lasts about 2 minutes. If you here about something at Ross its probably already to late.

TJ Maxx/Marshalls - Got a large supply of Joes in the past couple of years. The stock tends to be about 2 years old. They will stock up more around Christmas time. The toy sections usually have dust on many toys & look like a bomb went off. You will not see the good stuff the first time pass through.

Lody
01-13-2012, 10:20 AM
They always had a toy section as long as I can remember, but it usually has crappy toys that couldn't sell when they were discounted at Walmart

Ross - Anything good lasts about 2 minutes. If you here about something at Ross its probably already to late.

TJ Maxx/Marshalls - Got a large supply of Joes in the past couple of years. The stock tends to be about 2 years old. They will stock up more around Christmas time. The toy sections usually have dust on many toys & look like a bomb went off. You will not see the good stuff the first time pass through.

I am familair with what they have received since 2008...what were their selections prior to that?

Black Llama
01-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Marshall's/TJ Maxx has always been a 'lot' retailer. Meaning they buy lots from larger stores that didn't sell and then sell them at a discount, still above cost, but cheaper than say Target, Toys R Us, etc.

I have been going to Marshall's near me for over 20 years and they have always had what I liked to call 'last years toys'

VideoViper
01-13-2012, 10:25 AM
I am familair with what they have received since 2008...what were their selections prior to that?

Lots of old puzzles, young kids toys. Things that were name brand things like Star Wars & Joe might be something like a coloring book or crayon set.

Nothing to interesting.

The L.O.C.
01-13-2012, 10:30 AM
I picked at least 16 Legions sets there and another 8 or so of the original Cobra 5 pack and maybe 2 of the Joe pack... Those are what I remember seeing first. There was some Sigma Six both 8" and 2.5" on the shelves as well...

DrKain
01-13-2012, 10:35 AM
I keep hearing about how Ross gets all of these toys, but only actually find them once in a while. I have a Ross right down the street from me and they haven't carried Joes stuff in 2 years. Well, they finally got some Joe stuff in, but not what I wanted, they got the stupid Rise of Cobra Mars 3 pack in. -_-

A Ross that is like 14 miles away ended up having the Resolute Cobra pack, which I managed to get the last one last Saturday, but still, it is ridiculous to buy anything there. The toy isles are either a train wreck that is never cleaned or they have next to nothing. Supposedly, Ross carries one of the Transformers I still need (Grapple) and GI Joe vehicles that were never released.

vermillion21
01-14-2012, 03:05 AM
In ROSS we Trust

Testify!

Breakerfan
01-14-2012, 03:14 AM
I think it depends on where you live. If you live near one of these stores, they have combat heroes. If you live far away, they have the lost ark of the covenant.

P8_Pro
01-14-2012, 03:54 AM
I think it depends on where you live. If you live near one of these stores, they have combat heroes. If you live far away, they have the lost ark of the covenant.

........ Or perhaps someone got there before you.

To the OP, that's a great question. Come on guys, tell about more old toy finds!

These stores are actually the reason I found out about the GI JOE 25th (DVD Battle packs, yeah I'm a noob alright). I was out with my wife clothes shopping (and yes just like the toys they do have good clothes finds sometimes). At the time, I had no clue action figure collecting was as popular as it is. I thought I was the only adult picking this shit up for myself, and then I discovered you guys. :)

AaronG
01-25-2012, 08:17 PM
I picked up the last two Battle Packs (Quick-Kick & Alpine) at a Marshalls.

turner
01-25-2012, 08:21 PM

Recently?

Edhaskel
01-25-2012, 08:21 PM
So has anyone seen Resolute 7 pack restocks? So far I've seen endless restocks of the RtS Transformers and Spirit/Quick Kick, but no Resolutes yet...

turner
01-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Despite numerous visits to ross, I never saw the resolute sets or the tru spirit/quick kick.

Ixz72
01-25-2012, 08:25 PM

Ross or Marshalls?

If you got it at Marshalls this is the first I heard of them carrying the Resolute Packs.

gunslingercbr
01-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Ross or Marshalls?

If you got it at Marshalls this is the first I heard of them carrying the Resolute Packs.

he's talking about the 25th DVD packs at Marshalls, and probably talking about how he found them 3 years ago like everyone else.

not sure why he would bring that up now.

CobraCoffee
01-25-2012, 08:27 PM
So has anyone seen Resolute 7 pack restocks? So far I've seen endless restocks of the RtS Transformers and Spirit/Quick Kick, but no Resolutes yet...

There has not been any restocks on the TRU sets, you must have been hitting stores that are putting them out late. The resolute sets sat on the shelves for a while here in AZ but they are gone now.

Edhaskel
01-25-2012, 08:40 PM
There has not been any restocks on the TRU sets, you must have been hitting stores that are putting them out late. The resolute sets sat on the shelves for a while here in AZ but they are gone now.

Could be, but there's a Ross on my way home that I check daily that had about 3 each of the Spirit/Quick Kicks that weren't there when I originally saw them at this same store right before Chrismas....maybe they found some in the back that they didn't put out.

DaSmokeEater
01-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Marshalls carried ARAH toys back in the mid to late 80's, same as they do now with the discounts. I remember seeing them there in High School.

Dealer Destro
01-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Marshalls carried ARAH toys back in the mid to late 80's, same as they do now with the discounts. I remember seeing them there in High School.

PICS or it never happened!!!!!!

I didn't realize they have been around for that long.....

jumido
01-25-2012, 09:21 PM
it's nice to know the ross' around me(3 in reasonable driving distance) are not the only stores that don't ever stock all of this awesome stuff everybody else is getting. but i have had a good score there once or twice(attack and defense of cobra island sets,the unreleased roc vehicles,and a roc sand serpent). nowadays all you can find are the mars 3 packs. but i honestly don't think i ever stepped foot in a ross before i found out on here that they sold toys,and joes specifically

DaSmokeEater
01-25-2012, 09:24 PM
LOL! I can image the reaction of a manager if I had whipped out a 35mm in the store and then tried to explain the internet to him...I think the idea of a color computer monitor would have been more than they could've handled back then!

You guys make me very nostalgic though!

DrKain
01-26-2012, 02:42 AM
Wait, when did Ross get in the Cobra Island 7 packs? I could use soem more Cobra troops.

KP Viper
01-26-2012, 02:50 AM
Wait, when did Ross get in the Cobra Island 7 packs? I could use soem more Cobra troops.

They were at Ross a year or two ago, so you're fairly unlikely to find any more.

wattz300
01-26-2012, 04:30 AM
I work at one of Ross warehouses and about A year or 2 they had A large shipment of GI joe 2 pack come in but now I only see Batman and Green lantern figures

AaronG
01-28-2012, 08:48 AM
he's talking about the 25th DVD packs at Marshalls, and probably talking about how he found them 3 years ago like everyone else.

not sure why he would bring that up now.

Read the 1st post, it mentions the Greenshirts Toys R Us packs and asks if anyone has ever found similar things there, so I responded to what I found.

DrKain
01-28-2012, 10:26 AM
They were at Ross a year or two ago, so you're fairly unlikely to find any more.

Oh yeah, duh. That was around the time I realized my Ross were no longer carrying Joe stuff.

SonOfMindbender
01-28-2012, 11:42 AM

I didn't realize they have been around for that long.....

My mother dragged me to Marshall's through the 1980's. They never had toys. I would have been a better child if they did. The only thing to look forward too was the Carvel right in front. At least I got something out of it.