PDA

View Full Version : The problems with Renegades Cobra Trooper

DerrickLyle
12-27-2011, 08:17 PM
I think the Renegades treatment of Cobra is interesting. I do believe that the elements of Cobra Industries - Cobra Pharmaceuticals, SSS Market, ASP Delivery, the Brothers of Light Foundation, and Cobra Technologies should be incorporated into the mainline G.I. Joe universe. But the biggest problem I have with Renegades is the standard Cobra Trooper.
The Cobra Troopers in Renegades...while colorful as heck...lack the grit and fearsome factor that the classic troops, Vipers, and Neo-Vipers have between the other cartoons, comics, and feature film. There's a certain LAMENESS to the Renegades Cobra Troopers. They have bullet-proof vests; but the pants should be tucked into the boots. When they get taken out, GOD DO THEY LOOK GOOFY! I want to give them props...but I can't. At least, in the Sunbow cartoons, the classic Cobra Troopers knocked around Snake Eyes and Duke; the Renegades Cobra Troops just look stupid. I want to like them, and get a bunch...but the Vipers look so much cooler.
Hasbro has tried to integrate them into the core line by labeling them as Cobra Security...but blueshirts can do the same. Can someone convince me that the Renegades Cobra Troopers are cool?

redx24
12-27-2011, 08:26 PM
send him to me and i'll let u know how cool

krooklyn
12-27-2011, 08:29 PM
I think the Renegades treatment of Cobra is interesting. I do believe that the elements of Cobra Industries - Cobra Pharmaceuticals, SSS Market, ASP Delivery, the Brothers of Light Foundation, and Cobra Technologies should be incorporated into the mainline G.I. Joe universe. But the biggest problem I have with Renegades is the standard Cobra Trooper.
The Cobra Troopers in Renegades...while colorful as heck...lack the grit and fearsome factor that the classic troops, Vipers, and Neo-Vipers have between the other cartoons, comics, and feature film. There's a certain LAMENESS to the Renegades Cobra Troopers. They have bullet-proof vests; but the pants should be tucked into the boots. When they get taken out, GOD DO THEY LOOK GOOFY! I want to give them props...but I can't. At least, in the Sunbow cartoons, the classic Cobra Troopers knocked around Snake Eyes and Duke; the Renegades Cobra Troops just look stupid. I want to like them, and get a bunch...but the Vipers look so much cooler.
Hasbro has tried to integrate them into the core line by labeling them as Cobra Security...but blueshirts can do the same. Can someone convince me that the Renegades Cobra Troopers are cool?
While you make some interesting points, the Renegades troopers exemplify the look the animators were going for. As far them blousing their boots, I think that's unnecessary and overrated. The troopers look is more law enforcement than military. But hey, all the characters in animated form look a lil' juvenile and goofy.

Dealer Destro
12-27-2011, 08:42 PM
The only issue I had with this fig was its load out. That's it.

Headman
12-27-2011, 08:43 PM
The figure is awesome.

USAgent
12-27-2011, 08:46 PM
The only problem with this figure is not having enough of them!

Colt Blue
12-27-2011, 08:59 PM
I didn't know there were any problems with the Renegades Trooper, got two here and I'd buy more if I find them.

figureware
12-27-2011, 09:18 PM
I wish they had the Cobra industries logo! ??? Why does it not? Overall the figure is Awesome! I have two, two on the way and if I find them I will get more! Hell I built an entire Cobra Industries Playset to feature them!

Headman
12-27-2011, 09:27 PM
I wish they had the Cobra industries logo! ??? Why does it not? Overall the figure is Awesome! I have two, two on the way and if I find them I will get more! Hell I built an entire Cobra Industries Playset to feature them!

Because most people probably want to ignore that these have anything to do with that awful cartoon and just mix them in with their other joes.

viper540
12-27-2011, 09:43 PM
I will take him

Steve T
12-27-2011, 09:54 PM
The figure is pretty cool, the gun stinks.

vermillion21
12-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Cool figure, but can't hold his gun for krap.

A.C.T.
12-27-2011, 09:59 PM
I got two on the way. I think thems is off the charts.

redx24
12-27-2011, 10:15 PM

i need pics please

TripleCP
12-27-2011, 10:17 PM
They look that way because Cobra is an outwardly benevolent organization in Renegades.

The design reminds me a little of the Visitor uniforms from "V". Cobra Industries is your friend!

http://chud.com/articles/content_images/5/friendship.jpg

cobra22nd
12-27-2011, 10:25 PM
I got one. No plans for more ATM.

dgnr82
12-27-2011, 10:36 PM
don't use him as a trooper. Use him as a tele-viper. thats what I do.

Griff
12-27-2011, 11:01 PM

Well They do make good security forces...A blue shirt might seem a tad obvious witht eh mask and what have you....the Renegade Cobra trooper offers a more normal Civilian esque...less obvious take over the world kind of trooper oen might need to convinvce the world they arent evil. :D On a personal note i love these things as just a more public face cobra trooper. i just wish i coudl find these waves in stores.

Headman
12-27-2011, 11:04 PM
They look that way because Cobra is an outwardly benevolent organization in Renegades.

The design reminds me a little of the Visitor uniforms from "V". Cobra Industries is your friend!

http://chud.com/articles/content_images/5/friendship.jpg

Cobra. Yeah that's a good name for a company that isn't trying to kill you.

Stryker927
12-27-2011, 11:07 PM
I have 4. Doing some small paint updates and turning them into MARS Troopers and Destro's personal body guard and security. The lighter side and compliment to the IG forces.

TripleCP
12-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Wanna join Cobra?

SORA Training NJ | New Jersey Armed Security | Cobra Security (http://www.gocobrasecurity.com/index.php)

kndy
12-27-2011, 11:37 PM

Well, the Cobra Trooper original look always had the cool factor with the mask. And this is the first Cobra Trooper which I didn't feel inclined to buy more than one.

But considering this figure is based on an animated series, let's take away the hardcore fan and put yourself in the shoes of a child [I'm playing devil's advocate here].

If I was younger and I got this figure... I would be ecstatic. One, you have the Cobra insignia so large. It comes with a mask to make the character look so menacing and he also comes with handcuffs and a baton as well. And of course, you have the sleeves up the biceps area to show the guys big guns.

Have a cool belt, as a kid I would imagine the vest to be bullet proof, knee pads for intense fighting. So, in a nutshell...if I was never introduced to the classic series and its version of the Cobra troopers and I was given this toy as a child...yeah, I would think he's pretty cool!

DerrickLyle
12-27-2011, 11:49 PM
To TripleCP - If I were in Jersey...that sure looks cool...

M_renegade
12-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Hasbro has tried to integrate them into the core line by labeling them as Cobra Security...but blueshirts can do the same.

No, not really.

They do look like security or kind of Cops, unlike Cobra blueshirts that look like terrorists in pajamas.
Cobra security troops can walk around in the street, while Blueshirts not. And Viper are too heavy armored/geared to walk around, the army or even police would start asking questions.

Cobra Securities are -for me- the public troops.
They're at the door and main floor of Cobra Technologies, for example.

SVT_COBRA
12-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Can someone convince me that the Renegades Cobra Troopers are cool?

Impossible.

FirstReality
12-28-2011, 12:11 AM
They do look like security or kind of Cops, unlike Cobra blueshirts that look like terrorists in pajamas.
Cobra security troops can walk around in the street, while Blueshirts not. And Viper are too heavy armored/geared to walk around, the army or even police would start asking questions.

Cobra Securities are -for me- the public troops.
They're at the door and main floor of Cobra Technologies, for example.

THIS.

For crying out loud, the figures have the word SECURITY written under those giant Cobra logos on the back. These are the guys who guard Cobra Buildings and labs and whatnot, and are there more to keep Joe Blow out than actually fighting G.I. Joe.

personally, I love the figure, have no problem getting them to hold their plasma weapons two-handed (unlike virtually every other Renegades figure) and hope to get at least 6 of these bad boys.

They also slot in nicely to my current division of labor among the basic cobra troops:

Blueshirts are Garrison forces, manning military bases and providing basic defense and occasional infantry cannon fodder.
Vipers are offensive Infantry, the guys Cobra sends out to fight the battles and provide the backbone to any major effort.
Neo-Vipers are assault troops, the heavy guys who are about one step below Navy SEALs or Army Rangers or the SAS.
And now the Renegades Troopers are Cobra Law Enforcement/Basic security. They guard installations, especially those with a Quasi-public face, but don't go out on offensive missions unless Cobra's getting desperate.

BEAM
12-28-2011, 12:35 AM
I didn't know there were any problems with the Renegades Trooper, got two here and I'd buy more if I find them.

The only problem with this figure is not having enough of them!

Load up boys:

GI Joe 2012 Series 03 - Cobra Trooper - Renegades - GI Joe 2010 - 2012 GI Joe 3.75" Figures (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS20939&mode=retail)

The figure is pretty cool, the gun stinks.

Get him some new weapons, a shield, or perhaps something from Marauder's SWAT collection to jazz him up.

Results for -SWAT-Police-Fire Gear (http://www.marauderinc.com/servlet/Categories?category=-SWAT-Police-Fire+Gear)

MLos1
12-28-2011, 12:40 AM
The only issue I had with this fig was its load out. That's it.

I agree. it's a lame load out.

Dansquatch
12-28-2011, 02:30 AM
I have 2 coming in the mail and can't wait for them. I dig the modern merc/PMC Blackwater (oh I'm sorry Xe services) esque vibe they were going for. I imagine these guys are like Cobra's answer to private security contracters. Probably ex cops or some military background, or guys with some of that training who washed out and still want to play soldier. Maybe some of these guys are ex vipers or blue shirts that got busted down the ranks even. I'm not worried about their loadouts. I can hit up Marauders or just dig up some fitting accessories from my collections that would look good with them. I'm already planning on displaying them with MP5s and those G36c rifles with the foregrips and the double mags.