PDA

View Full Version : New faction of G.I.Joe action figures... Mercanaries

Uninvited Ghost
11-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Having played for the Mercaneries in the Hisstank RPG Game (you may have seen some of our team threads in the forums), I started thinking that it would be cool if there was a new faction for G.I.Joe toys: mercenaries.

They could be anti-hero types, that work with G.I.Joe sometimes, and other times for Cobra, or a 3rd party interest.

Do you think adding these type of characters/figures to the line would interest people?

PS. The Hisstank RPG Game Mercenaries are looking for more players, click the link in my sig.

Darkseid83
11-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Pretty sure that MLP fills the void Boss.

Uninvited Ghost
11-16-2011, 03:01 PM
pretty sure that mlp fills the void boss.

My Little Pony?

darkwise
11-16-2011, 03:08 PM
My Little Pony?

Haha, I thought the same thing, and then remembered that Tanker's my little pony Skystriker. I do not think they are appropriate as Mercs.

I absolutely love the idea of Mercs (obviously). I would like to see Krake (Cobra Civil War) split from his Cobra ties and create a group that farmed out to the highest bidder. I would like to see an outlaw Chuckle be his 2nd in command, and from there out, introduce all new characters.

lowlight27
11-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Like little yellow birds?
You know that you wrote Mercanaries, right?
Isn't Wraith a Mercenary? or Mercer?

gunslingercbr
11-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Mercanaries. that's an awesome idea for a cartoon, soldier of fortune birds for hire -- mercenary canaries.

darkwise
11-16-2011, 03:25 PM

I mentioned that in the Mercs thread. I love the idea of little birds toting huge straps of shotgun shells!

darkwise
11-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Mercanaries. that's an awesome idea for a cartoon, soldier of fortune birds for hire -- mercenary canaries.

Someone is going to make a fortune off of this.

Stormgard
11-16-2011, 03:28 PM
How about a group of some decommissioned Joes, disenchanted Cobras, maybe a Oktober Guardsman, and a few completely new characters. They could be driven various various motivations, but find themselves working together on various missions against a wide range of foes.

Troops of Doom
11-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Iron Grenadiers would fall in that category. In the marvel comics we've seen them hire out to various factions, even sold weapons to the US.

lowlight27
11-16-2011, 03:44 PM
I think we should make custom figs and have a contest amongst the different factions of the RPG.

Darkseid83
11-16-2011, 03:51 PM
My Little Pony?

Yep, don't let the cuteness fool you, they will straight cut a bitch.

darkwise
11-16-2011, 03:58 PM

Mercer is such a lame name for a Mercenary. Is his last name Nary? Sigh.

kneroh
11-16-2011, 03:59 PM
http://www.keepingpetbirds.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/canary.jpg

Darkseid83
11-16-2011, 04:08 PM
How about a group of some decommissioned Joes, disenchanted Cobras, maybe a Oktober Guardsman, and a few completely new characters. They could be driven various various motivations, but find themselves working together on various missions against a wide range of foes.

I like this idea, the idea that soldiers from the different factions, coming together in a quest to get paid. Imagine the inner turmoil within the groups first missions, for instance there's some ex joes on the team and they had friends that were killed by other members of the team. So until they're able to gel properly, it'd be a bumpy ride.

Uninvited Ghost
11-16-2011, 04:09 PM

There's nothing worse than misspelling something in a thread title. Yes, I saw it right after I hit the button. :)

Nirvana
11-16-2011, 04:09 PM
http://satireknight.wikispaces.com/file/view/say-no-motivational-poster.jpg/171832917/say-no-motivational-poster.jpg

Hasbro doesn't need another "subteam" to confuse things even more for their design & marketing teams. Dreadnoks and Headhunters (solo team, but later on they're played off as having been rolled on to the Cobra payroll) were already for hire teams. Add Bludd, Firefly, and Wraith for solo artists. And the IGs fill in any other gaps for arms, equipment, and muscle.

darkwise
11-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Mercanaries: You give us the bird, we give you the finger.

http://display.carlyscomments.com/5/404e2d20a154604.jpg

cobracobra
11-16-2011, 05:09 PM
I would put Wraith in the Mercinaries section. I would love a couple "fringe" characters I really would even though I cannot spell Mercinaries and I spelled it wrong twice now.

Zarana
11-16-2011, 05:29 PM
I've always wanted to own some Blackwater figures.

Darkseid83
11-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Blackwater figures would be sweet. I'm waiting for them to make figs based off "Civilian Contractors", Major Bludd comes to mind for this design.

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
11-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Well I aplaud the idea...byt Hasbro is pretty married to the idea of no matter what sub unit it is characters are either Joe or Cobra...its easier to brand that way...clear cut two factions.

The comics will blurr that line at times but I think after the mess of the Phoenix Guard and Red Shadows storylines which basically tried to give us an all new faction (also tried before with SKAR & IRON Army) that they will cautiously wander any new faction roads.

But I completely wanna see some customs for a Mercinary faction.

Steelgrave
11-16-2011, 06:05 PM
This thread is awesome! Nobody knows how to spell mersineeries.

beef664422
11-16-2011, 06:19 PM
why cant anybody spell merzenereas. It is so easy MERZ EN ER EAS!!! get it right people...

RolandofGilead
11-16-2011, 06:24 PM
I guess a separate faction could work, but I always thought any guns for hire mercenaries would be working for Cobra. They're the ones with Major Blood, the Dreadnoks, and Firefly working for Cobra, but not necessarily devout followers.

TheFallen
11-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Couldn't the Plague fill this role nicely? Maybe even a redone Phoenix Guard?

Uninvited Ghost
11-16-2011, 06:45 PM
I think we should make custom figs and have a contest amongst the different factions of the RPG.

As if the IG's don't win enough. ;)

Uninvited Ghost
11-16-2011, 06:46 PM

I want to read that comic or watch that cartoon now.

Uninvited Ghost
11-16-2011, 06:48 PM
http://satireknight.wikispaces.com/file/view/say-no-motivational-poster.jpg/171832917/say-no-motivational-poster.jpg

Hasbro doesn't need another "subteam" to confuse things even more for their design & marketing teams. Dreadnoks and Headhunters (solo team, but later on they're played off as having been rolled on to the Cobra payroll) were already for hire teams. Add Bludd, Firefly, and Wraith for solo artists. And the IGs fill in any other gaps for arms, equipment, and muscle.

But they are all clearly "bad guys".

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
11-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Ok lets just say Mercs from her on...THAT I can spell.

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
11-16-2011, 07:20 PM
How many factions are there actually?

G.I. Joe
I mean there's G.I. Joe any sub unit is still part of that.

Oktober Guard
Even though their lumped in with Joe often.

Cobra
Cobra is kind of a mess because I think a lot of their factions can and do jump ship often.

Iron Grenadiers

Cobra-La

Lunartix Empire

Night Creepers

Red Ninjas / Arashakage Clan

SKAR

IRON Army

Red Shadows

And if your really wanna push stuff, the Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and I guess to some degree Pyro's Band of Thugs (from Bronze Bombers) could all be considered factions.

mrorange1382
11-16-2011, 08:05 PM
They could be called the Expendables and closely resemble Sly Stallone, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Jason Statham, Randy Courture, and Terry Crews.

lowlight27
11-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Well I aplaud the idea...byt Hasbro is pretty married to the idea of no matter what sub unit it is characters are either Joe or Cobra...its easier to brand that way...clear cut two factions.

The comics will blurr that line at times but I think after the mess of the Phoenix Guard and Red Shadows storylines which basically tried to give us an all new faction (also tried before with SKAR & IRON Army) that they will cautiously wander any new faction roads.

But I completely wanna see some customs for a Mercinary faction.

But aren't the Dreadknocks the exception? They work for cobra, but are their own team.

Derek
11-16-2011, 08:24 PM
So you want an A-Team.

lowlight27
11-16-2011, 08:32 PM
We mean this type
Mercenary - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mercenary)

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
11-16-2011, 08:44 PM
But aren't the Dreadknocks the exception? They work for cobra, but are their own team.

Well as long as they can be classified as a sub team of Cobra things seem to be ok for Hasbro.

But a completely 3rd faction...not too likely.

However thats the beauty of the individuals Joeverses....you can add whatever factions you want.

Rambo
11-16-2011, 09:38 PM
They could be called the Expendables and closely resemble Sly Stallone, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Jason Statham, Randy Courture, and Terry Crews.

The Expendables is a great idea.
But which Joeverse characters could play as Stallone, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Jason Statham, Randy Courture, Terry Crews, Swarze, Norris, etc?

lowlight27
11-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Here's my first entry, naturally its the Silent Commando himself, Snake Eyes.

After receiving a Dishonorable Discharge from the Army, and returning home to find out that his twin sister has been tragically killed. The nameless warrior sets out to earn his living as a soldier of fortune like so many other soldiers returning home from war and not able to get the taste of gun oil out of their memories. (Yes you must embrace the cheese!).
Along his journey he puts together a rag tag group of Mercanaries;-)

They say, that none shall now his true name, but he is willing to whisper it to you as he slits your throat!

Here is,

Snake Eyes and Timber
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac157/dacrebush/Joes%20and%20Bros/Easy%20Customs/DSCF6896.jpg
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac157/dacrebush/Joes%20and%20Bros/Easy%20Customs/DSCF6885.jpg
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac157/dacrebush/Joes%20and%20Bros/Easy%20Customs/DSCF6889.jpghttp://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac157/dacrebush/Joes%20and%20Bros/Easy%20Customs/DSCF6890.jpghttp://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac157/dacrebush/Joes%20and%20Bros/Easy%20Customs/DSCF6893.jpg

They say that

Big IV
11-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Hiring mercs to do the dirty work would tarnsih the good guy image of the Joes. Although black ops have been known to happen. If they're a disavowed team anyway then I suppose reputation doesn't matter.

If Chuckles is deep undercover, like in the IDW season 1, then it is possible he could wind up working his way up through the Merc market, but in turn hire out Mercs for his "special projects."

As a fan of IDW season 1 Chuckles, that would be a fun story line to see played out with more Mercs. It could be a spin off miniseries and still fit within the Jinx story.

Big IV
11-16-2011, 10:36 PM
How many factions are there actually?

G.I. Joe
I mean there's G.I. Joe any sub unit is still part of that.

Oktober Guard
Even though their lumped in with Joe often.

Cobra
Cobra is kind of a mess because I think a lot of their factions can and do jump ship often.

Iron Grenadiers

Cobra-La

Lunartix Empire

Night Creepers

Red Ninjas / Arashakage Clan

SKAR

IRON Army

Red Shadows

Larry Hama has now introduced Blue Ninjas which are rogue techno offshoot of the Russian Red Ninjas...do Russian Red Ninjas count as regular Red Ninjas?

Darklon's group is clearly not in line with Destro's band of Iron Gs.

Big IV
11-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Ok lets just say Mercs from her on...THAT I can spell.
her?

Big IV
11-16-2011, 10:39 PM
A tv show about disavowed Joes and the rag tag team they compile to work against the government and corrupt civilians...
I want to read that comic or watch that cartoon now.

Wasn't it called Renegades and awesome?

Lifeline_MD
11-16-2011, 10:58 PM
I think we have enough "merc" teams not associated with Joe/Cobra or who have fought alongside both:

Dreadnoks
Iron Grenediers
Oktober Guard (debatable)
Headhunters
Lunatrix Empire
Slice/Dice
Red Ninjas
Wraith
Firefly

Just from the top of my head.

I think we're pretty good for mercs thanks.

Flint-wo2
11-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Mercs would rock and In English I wrote a story about a Mercenary chicken.

darkwise
11-17-2011, 02:26 PM
But they are all clearly "bad guys".

^^^ This is the core of it.

darkwise
11-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Mercs would rock and In English I wrote a story about a Mercenary chicken.

Was he also a famous author, by the name of Charles Chickens? ;)

Stormgard
11-17-2011, 04:25 PM
I prefer to see a group of mercenaries operate within moral shades of gray than simply be a new independent baddie faction. It's more interesting that way. Imagine missions for the military so secret that even the President doesn't approve them. Say you have some U.S. hostages being held secretly in some country that the US wants to stay friendly with. You want complete deniability if the mission goes wrong.

Let's say the hostages are being held in a secluded mountain base somewhere deep in... Frusenland.

Say you send in some guys who have operated in this country before and are familiar with the area - Wild Weasel flies the stealthified Osprey, while the strike team in the back includes a couple of obscure Joes that never really got much exposure in the comic - perhaps some guys who were discharged, but haven't been brought back?

Sniper: Snow Job

Heavy Weapons: Sub Zero

Point Man: Hit n Run

Mountaineering expert: some ex Rock Viper, who defected to the US Government

RTO: an ex Tele Viper who served on a Cobra Terrordrome in Frusenland many years ago

Team Leader: Quinn

darkwise
11-21-2011, 04:39 PM
I guess the Canaries flew the cage.