PDA

View Full Version : I guess I am too traditional about what to expect with Resolute

thairestauranteur
08-21-2008, 11:20 PM
I was going through the DVD special features and came across an interview with Mary McDonald-Lewis (Lady Jaye) and Bill Ratner (Flint).

During the interview McDonald pointed out she'd be more than happy to revisit the Joe cartoon again and do her voice once again if there ever was a new cartoon.

During the teaser of the Resolute, I noticed there are all new voices that I wasn't familiar with.

It is my stance that Hasbro should try and hire the old voice talent to do the new Resolute series the best they can. It would be like nothing else to have Michael Bell, BJ Ward, the aforementioned, and the like to do these new characters.

This probably isn't possible, but the voice direction of Wally Burr was exceptional and this guy really brought out the best in these voice actors.

Regardless, Resolute will be cool no matter what, but to tip the hat to the traditional guys like me, it would be so cool and old school to bring back the voices of the past.

This akin to Star Trek the 60's series and the 80's movies. They brought back what people loved!

Hasbro has a chance to make this happen.

I hope they do it right and not opted out with Japanamation voice talent,

Keep it intune with what people know and love and it will be classic.

I am not asking nor expecting Hasbro to keep things in the dark ages, but there were some excellent things out of the 80's show and the best thing was the voice talent.

I mean, can you imagine how happy you would feel if then you start watching resolute, you are greeted with the original voices of Duke, Scarlett, Flint, Lady Jaye, Destro, the Baroness and the like?

It would be great!

M

Saboteur
08-21-2008, 11:22 PM
It would be nostalgic for me.
Sab

nightforceoutback11
08-21-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm right there with you!!

sharke
08-21-2008, 11:24 PM
I'd rather have voices that fit then ones just there for nostalgia

Headman
08-21-2008, 11:25 PM
I seriously don't like Roadblock's new voice. And gee, could they make his lips any bigger? It's like Song of the South 2009.

thairestauranteur
08-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Wouldn't the voices fit anyway? I mean, the kids wouldn't know any different and it would be tipping the hat to us nostalgic folks plus the voices are tried and true.

To me, nostalgic isn't bad so long it is done good.

Hopefully, if new voices are used, they will be good. It just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling if they use the guys from the past because it would be good and the actors would appreciate what they are involved with.

We'll have to see won't we?

Dark 5cythe
08-21-2008, 11:29 PM
it would sound so bad. those people are so old now.

thairestauranteur
08-21-2008, 11:30 PM
I seriously don't like Roadblock's new voice. And gee, could they make his lips any bigger? It's like Song of the South 2009.
I am hoping that is "Heavy Duty" so they can still bring in Kene Holliday who did Roadblock.

Keep in mind, these are Japanese or Korean animators who are making images as to what their current style reflects in they culture. Check out the animatin in Kill Bill and you will see what I mean.

thairestauranteur
08-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Check out the DVD, they sound just like the way they did. Mary McDonald Lewis actually is the voice in all the GM OnStar cars! Rantner has a classic voice and Michael Bell still does voices.

You never see voice actors get old like onscreen actors.

Saboteur
08-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Wouldn't the voices fit anyway? I mean, the kids wouldn't know any different and it would be tipping the hat to us nostalgic folks plus the voices are tried and true.

To me, nostalgic isn't bad so long it is done good.

Hopefully, if new voices are used, they will be good. It just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling if they use the guys from the past because it would be good and the actors would appreciate what they are involved with.

We'll have to see won't we?

Exactly.
Sab

wish12oz
08-21-2008, 11:33 PM
'japanimation' is an offensive term. and if you bother to watch the old shows its pretty appearent that the old voice actors were not very good.

Agent-GHQ
08-21-2008, 11:34 PM
In Transformers the live action, Peter Cullen was the original voice of Optimus Prime and he still sound bad-ass in the live-action movie.

barbecue
08-23-2008, 04:18 PM
'japanimation' is an offensive term. and if you bother to watch the old shows its pretty appearent that the old voice actors were not very good.

It's just a matter of tastes. I like the old voice actors a lot specially the ones that impersoned CC, Destro, Lady Jaye, Duke, Shipwreck(annoying but cool at the same time), Flint, General Hawk ,Leatherneck and Roadblock(I like it even with that somewhat stupid rap rhyme way of talking).

TheLongestDay
08-23-2008, 04:24 PM
I love the old voices....EXCEPT STORM SHADOWS!!!!! ;)

Freedom
08-23-2008, 04:48 PM
There are some old voices from the cartoon that I still hear in my head when I read a Joe comic. Some were really good like Duke, Flint, Roadblock, Mutt, The Dreadnoks, and others, but some were horrible like Clutch (Clutch was from New Jersey not Possum Gulch!), Short-Fuze, Airborne (Optimus Prime's voice didn't work for Airborne!), Leatherneck, Wetsuit, and any civilian character.

As long as they don't use the voices from Sigma 6, it'll be OK.

Shogi
08-23-2008, 05:14 PM
In Transformers the live action, Peter Cullen was the original voice of Optimus Prime and he still sound bad-ass in the live-action movie.

Actually, I thought he sounds a little old. There was a rasp there that I don't hear in the cartoons. He was still good, but it definately sounds like an old Optimus.

Ratner reprised Flint in a Family Guy episode a few seasons back and he sounded just the same. So I imagine some voice actors may sound a bit old, and some may sound the same, kind of a toss up if you ask me.

The one thing that (IMO) takes the life out of these performances is that Voice recording sessions don't do "round tables" anymore. Meaning all the actors are in the same room, doing their lines in order as if they were all on stage acting. The Simpsons apparently still does this and I remember that Beast Wars did it in the 90's but nowdays, most studios have the actors come in at seperate times, go into a booth, record all their lines, then it's all edited together. Personally, I feel this takes away a bit from the performances as the actors don't get to play off each other.

Tomahawk
08-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Actually, I thought he sounds a little old. There was a rasp there that I don't hear in the cartoons. He was still good, but it definately sounds like an old Optimus.

Ratner reprised Flint in a Family Guy episode a few seasons back and he sounded just the same. So I imagine some voice actors may sound a bit old, and some may sound the same, kind of a toss up if you ask me.

The one thing that (IMO) takes the life out of these performances is that Voice recording sessions don't do "round tables" anymore. Meaning all the actors are in the same room, doing their lines in order as if they were all on stage acting. The Simpsons apparently still does this and I remember that Beast Wars did it in the 90's but nowdays, most studios have the actors come in at seperate times, go into a booth, record all their lines, then it's all edited together. Personally, I feel this takes away a bit from the performances as the actors don't get to play off each other.

yep

sgtapon
08-23-2008, 05:32 PM
liked the voice of duke...didn't care for the voice of roadblock...the animation in the g.i.joe resolute trailer though was freakin awesome.

tkprime
08-25-2008, 12:50 AM
I'd like to have both old and new in Resolute if I had my way, but alas I don't work in Animation, or do I have any real pull, but as a fan, I'd love it if some of the original cast could be a part of this.

That Blasted Samophlange
08-25-2008, 06:08 AM
Well, if they are going to bring back all the old voiced, they'd have to dig up and clone 'ol Chris Latta.. y'know, pull a mindbender and bring this guy back from the dead.

It doesn't bother me one bit if they change the voice actors, as long as they are good.

CynthiaCM
08-25-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm right there with you!!

Right on! For example, I'd like a Lady Jaye that has a slight Gaelic tone to her voice... the way she's supposed to.

Mutt
10-14-2008, 06:49 PM
The voice I'm going to miss will be the Baroness'. That voice was sexy as hell and I'm sure we're not going to get anything like the original.

Shortfuse
10-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Rob Paulson who did the voice of Snow Job is still kickin as well as Greg Berg who did Cutter, Firefly, Ripcord, Sparks, and Spirit. I saw them both about 5 years ago at the San Diego Comicon at a panel of voice talent and they both are very busy with their careers (Paulson is currently Mr. Opportunity in those Honda car commercials) and both sound the exact same as back in the day!

I'd be glad to take over duties as the new voice of CC. I've only been practicing since I was 8 years old. I will tell ya, Chris Latta had some weird range and it can be painful to imitate. I won't even get into the craptacular Sigma 6 attempt at it.

Monkeywrench
10-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Zartan is the big one for me. I can't imagine him having a different voice.

Monkeywrench
10-14-2008, 07:41 PM
liked the voice of duke...didn't care for the voice of roadblock...the animation in the g.i.joe resolute trailer though was freakin awesome.

I didn't care for the rhyming of RB. I hope that doesn't carry over

Sergeant Slaughter
10-15-2008, 03:10 AM
Latta's the only major important voice they need to get and since they can't do that, I suppose it's a wash.

Of course I'd love the classic voices, but change can be good too. TMNT got new voices for their toon and it helped set a new tone for the show.

Griff
10-15-2008, 03:47 AM

thats wonderful thing about animation...that actors can be older than dirt and can still do voices.

BigFore
10-16-2008, 09:30 AM
I really enjoy the old series. Latta had an amazing voice and was such a large part of my childhood. Cullen was as well, voicing more than I ever realized, from He-Man characters through GI Joe, Transformers, Visionaries, etc.

I would like to see Flint, Roadblock, Beach Head, and even Duke reprise their roles. I always heard the voices of the TV show in my head when I was a kid playing with the toys.

I remember seeing the first episode of ST:TNG and the curator of far point was talking and I kept getting glimpses of his voice in my head. It hit me about 20 minutes into it that it was Duke, aka Michael Bell.

Copper21
10-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Latta's the only major important voice they need to get and since they can't do that, I suppose it's a wash.

Of course I'd love the classic voices, but change can be good too. TMNT got new voices for their toon and it helped set a new tone for the show.

I agree. I am still very excited about the new Resolute cartoon. I wasn't at Joecon, but saw the clip on Youtube. Maybe it was the audio quality, but Duke sounded like Michael Bell to me.

Hey, at least Snake Eyes will sound the same...

Zarana
10-16-2008, 11:41 AM
I don't care as long as its compitently done. The VvV movie was ruined, in part, by the casting of Beach head as a guy who sounded like Michealanglo from the old ninja turtles show.

Sgt. Kayfabe
10-16-2008, 11:50 AM
They sound exactly the same. The voice actor of Flint did a clip on Family Guy and sounded exactly the same. Are you telling me Peter Cullen doesn't sound like Optimus Prime after 20+ years?

G.I. Smurf
10-16-2008, 11:53 AM
im all for bringing them back. if you saw the DVD's, as you said you did they are not so old. i saw a thing with the old lady who played the voice of jokey smurf, she looks 90 now but still sounds the same. it would mean so much for us who loved the old show to have them back and as already said, the kids would not know any different.

Captain STEVEN DePACE
10-16-2008, 02:56 PM
im all for bringing them back. if you saw the DVD's, as you said you did they are not so old.

Yeah except all those guys who ya know died (The dude who did coke and voiced CC, the guy who voiced Blitzwing in Transformers)

artiepants
10-28-2008, 08:32 PM
I'd be glad to take over duties as the new voice of CC. I've only been practicing since I was 8 years old. I will tell ya, Chris Latta had some weird range and it can be painful to imitate. I won't even get into the craptacular Sigma 6 attempt at it.
i work with a guy who used to do some voice work for nintendo, he does an INSANELY good latta-style Cobra Commander.

but really, i hope they go in an entirely different direction with CC then that...

General Hawk
10-28-2008, 09:11 PM
i work with a guy who used to do some voice work for nintendo, he does an INSANELY good latta-style Cobra Commander.

but really, i hope they go in an entirely different direction with CC then that...

Oh, don't worry about that. The producers have stated multiple times that they are going for a much darker, more intimidating COBRA Commander than Sunbow gave us. I'm expecting good things.

Justin

skatezaz
10-28-2008, 09:21 PM
when is Resolute going to start btw?

General Hawk
10-28-2008, 09:23 PM
All we know is Q1, 2009, so anywhere between January and March. Probably closer to March.

Justin

Imperial_Ozma
10-29-2008, 01:28 AM
Scott McNeil should be in this, not only because he brings with him a legion of fangirls and boys, being one of the most prolific voice actors but also because he's been in almost every version of GI Joe.

He was Storm Shadow in the DiC Series,
Cobra Commander in Sgt Savage and the Screaming Eagles
Destro and Gung Ho in GI Joe VvV

hmm imdb even says he did Cobra Commander in the classic GI Joe... was that as a sub for Latta on episodes he couldn't do... or was it DiC did Latta do DiC?

Anyway love Scott McNeil's voice, it's very sexy and he's a great vocal talent! so I say bring him on.

I don't care as long as its compitently done. The VvV movie was ruined, in part, by the casting of Beach head as a guy who sounded like Michealanglo from the old ninja turtles show.

I think there was a joke there... his name's beachhead and he sounds like a surfer dude... get it? Beach... surfer dude? HALARITY!

BigFore
10-30-2008, 12:53 PM
The guy who did the voice for Beach Head sounded worse than the guy who did Ironhide in Transformers (lost the name, the CGI one where Ironhide is a young blue truck)???

That ruined me on that series.

Troynos
10-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Some of those voices, like Destro's and Cobra Commanders, are kind of goofy when listening to them today.

I'd rather have all new voices.

DavAnthony
11-09-2008, 10:50 PM

the old voice actors were not very good. Well everyone's entitled to an opinion but I seriously think your off the mark on that. These people's voice acting has held up for over 20 years compared to the voice acting of this generation where you have no connection to the material and most of the actors could be taken or left. The voice actors of the old cartoon DEFINED their characters by the sound of the voice they came up with. On top of that they built drama, interest, personality.

If that isn't good voice acting then I don't know what is.

boff123
11-27-2008, 10:18 PM

i think some newer toons were doing this like the new motu toon back in 02-03. also the justice league unlimited were recorded like that. they had backscreen stuff and one of them was interviewing the voice actors. hawkgirl is a real hotty!

boff123
11-27-2008, 10:20 PM
the old voice actors were not very good. Well everyone's entitled to an opinion but I seriously think your off the mark on that. These people's voice acting has held up for over 20 years compared to the voice acting of this generation where you have no connection to the material and most of the actors could be taken or left. The voice actors of the old cartoon DEFINED their characters by the sound of the voice they came up with. On top of that they built drama, interest, personality.

If that isn't good voice acting then I don't know what is.

i agree, they made the goofy characters less goofy if that makes any sense. perfect example: zartan. one bad ass mofo, leader of the dreadnoks with a wicked laugh or a goofball with color changing chest and a wierd skin disease?

also flint, baroness, & sunbow destro were perfect in every way.

boff123
11-27-2008, 10:24 PM
thats wonderful thing about animation...that actors can be older than dirt and can still do voices.

yup, the guy that does lion-o from thundercats is about 300 pounds but still sounds like him.

Shin-Gouki
11-27-2008, 10:39 PM

Sadly the only reason that happened is we (The TF Fans) were threatening to go to Hasbro and Paramount with Torches and Pitch-Forks if he was not the voice.

Some of those voices, like Destro's and Cobra Commanders, are kind of goofy when listening to them today.

I'd rather have all new voices.
What the hell are you smoking? Those two voices are iconic! If anything whoever get's the jobs for going them needs to do their damnedest to imitate them.

shadowsun
11-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Sadly the only reason that happened is we (The TF Fans) were threatening to go to Hasbro and Paramount with Torches and Pitch-Forks if he was not the voice.

What the hell are you smoking? Those two voices are iconic! If anything whoever get's the jobs for going them needs to do their damnedest to imitate them.

How about wanting someone who actually sounds like a Scotsman and an evil leader without a lisssssp?

Skyhawk
11-30-2008, 11:47 AM
If they can act right I dont care who the voices are. I just dont want it to sound cheese like it did before...

Skyhawk
11-30-2008, 11:57 AM

Hell no!!!! Destro, maybe, but hes a damn Scot!!!

But Cobra Commander needs to sound intimidating, not like a a little spoiled child! I always hated his voice...

The one I liked the most as a kid was LowLight. I always thought he was cool because he sounded like someone you needed to fear. And I liked Hawk and Fire Fly also.... For all I know it was the same guy... lol

Johnnyakiba
11-30-2008, 12:01 PM
I HATE hearing voice talents from anime in other cartoon. The voices NEVER change. I think it would be a GREAT I idea to have some or most of the original voice actors come back because they really brought the characters to life.

PLEASE HASBRO DONT SCREW THE POOCH.

Captain Carstein
11-30-2008, 12:06 PM
New voices definitely. I can see the attachment to the old Joe voices, but definitely new voices for Cobra's top baddies.

BadWolf
11-30-2008, 12:07 PM
As cool as it may be, I am under the understanding that LJ is not part of the current Resolute line up.

doomed huh
12-01-2008, 12:50 AM
I would like the 80s voice actors back

no ones ever gonna do duke or flint as good as those guys

I dont see how just the voice means its gonna bring the new version corny or something. that's just in your own head.

but the 80s voice actors are the definitive voices.