PDA

View Full Version : 25th Joes Starting to Look Ugly 2 you?

Fox
10-17-2011, 04:17 PM
I thought the 25th Anniversary Joes were some the greatest. Thought they even held up well enough to be displayed next to the more recent figures. I'm starting to change my mind about that. POC Low Light, 30th Sci-fi & Life Line are all in their classic uniforms but look far better than the 25th joes in their classic uniforms. It is like displaying the pre-1983 joes next to the post-1984 classic joes. Same basic toys but some are clearly better.

I can't stand POC Low Light next to Comic Pack Beach Head. Beachy got those skinny, big jointed arms. Some 25th figures still hold up. Some just don't. I'm started to think of selling some of them. Like Duke. I want to have a Duke in my modern collection dressed in his classic uniform. He looks absolutely horrible next to newer and even some other 25th line joes. I have several Dukes. Some look really good but they aren't wearing the right uniform. I need a 30th style Duke in right uniform cause 25th Duke is looking ugly. Still not as ugly as 25th Gung-Ho.

kneroh
10-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Very much so. The limited tooling, slit wrists, half arms that always fall off, little to no detail on any of the parts, boring over use of the same heads, poor articulation at the elbow. Yes.

The POC line and 30th sculpts have completely spoiled me. They leave the 25th figures looking like a half ass attempt to push out as much bland product out as quickly as possible.

Of course the 25th has it's exceptions and some amazingly well done figures, but by and large POC and the 30th trump the 25th.

mr_david
10-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Duke & Gung-Ho come to mind!

Mermaniel
10-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Very much so. The limited tooling, slit wrists, half arms that always fall off, little to no detail on any of the parts, boring over use of the same heads, poor articulation at the elbow. Yes.

The POC line and 30th sculpts have completely spoiled me. They leave the 25th figures looking like a half ass attempt to push out as much bland product out as quickly as possible.

Of course the 25th has it's exceptions and some amazingly well done figures, but by and large POC and the 30th trump the 25th.

this x 2

Ground Pounder
10-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Yeah some of the 25th guys just aren't holding up against the newer incarnations going into the 30th.

Guys like duke, gung ho, roadblock just don't look right to me anymore.
Some just NEVER looked good to me, like short fuse, grunt, and cutter. Of course these guys were store exclusives and used existing molds so what ya gonna do? (Btw, resolute beachhead body and the cobra ?lamprey officer? Head make a pretty good grunt imo)

Ako Roshi
10-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Big-Head Breaker and Crankcase always bothered me.
Even before PoC/30th figures.

TTT
10-17-2011, 04:28 PM
They were good for their time.

JohnSage
10-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Oh yeah. POC got me buying Joe's again. The detail is amazing. I like that the 25th are like reissues though. I bought a few off Ebay and whatever ones I see in the discount clothing stores (TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc.). Kinda like buying back pieces of childhood. The newer Joes are nice and modern though. What really gets me is that Habro does Joe and Marvel Universe, yet the issue of paint apps is completely opposite for both lines.

Ground Pounder
10-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Oh and I never liked Recondo. He always looked scared shitless to me. Lol

sharky
10-17-2011, 04:31 PM
The first 25th carded Lady Jaye always looked fugly from day one though.

Jettfire
10-17-2011, 04:31 PM
30th/PoC is to 25th as 25th is to ARAH.

At least that's what I put on my TANK S.A.T.'s.

Lifeline_MD
10-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Personally i think they hold up for the most part. But I guess that's just me. The new figures are better, but that's to be expected with practice on the new tooling.

speedocub
10-17-2011, 04:35 PM
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/speedocub1974/Joe%20Room/DSCN0770.jpg

They have their place.

Ground Pounder
10-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Oh yeah. POC got me buying Joe's again. The detail is amazing. I like that the 25th are like reissues though. I bought a few off Ebay and whatever ones I see in the discount clothing stores (TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc.). Kinda like buying back pieces of childhood. The newer Joes are nice and modern though. What really gets me is that Habro does Joe and Marvel Universe, yet the issue of paint apps is completely opposite for both lines.

Ya know, that is a really good way to look at it. Reissues. When are we gonna get a new gung ho btw? Rock and roll could use a do over as well. I did the quick bash with the thor head, jungle duke body, rnr's twin bandoliers and a saw. Looks pretty good.

OSOK
10-17-2011, 04:37 PM
i miss duke arms :(

youdoitimbusy
10-17-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm on board with that, i haven't been collecting sense the 25th, but i was going to start buying some of the older figs. I purchased the 25th gung ho and i think it well be my last of this line.

the odinson
10-17-2011, 04:40 PM
i still love the 25th stuff, it's just a different approach. most of them do a really great job of capturing the feel of the arah figures to me, and that's what i wanted.
i keep my arah update figures on their own shelf and all the newer stuff on another. i just have to live with lowlight being separated from the 25th stuff. the paravers go with the newer figures, too.

Beckley
10-17-2011, 04:41 PM
I don't know, while I agree the split wrist sucked, I'm still quite happy with my-

ParaVipers
BATS
EEL's
Snow Serpents
Bazooka Troopers
Resolute Troopers
And all the DOCI guys except for Dr. Mindbender

I'm not saying that I don't love POC, I just think a lot of the 25th stuff still holds up.

JohnSage
Even though I like the newer stuff much better for the detail, I usually stop in to any TJ Maxx or Marshall's to see if they have the 25th ones. Retro cards are cool. We need a new hooded C.C. that isn't the Comic Con suit or club exclusive. That's just me though.

Xenos
The newer figures are definitely better, but as a whole I'm still happy with the 25th figures. Sure there are a bunch that I wish were better, but for most of those, I already felt that way when I first got them, like Falcon.

Honestly, I will gladly take a remake of any figure as long as it's better then the first try.

UMAN
I was just thinking about this. My collection rotates a lot of stuff in and out and I was noticing I have very few figures from 07 and 08 left anymore.

Cobraoner
Im sure we said the same thing when we got the first few 25th joes .. "Man the vintage figures sucked!" Although I love the vintage figures the 25th made me a happy collector but as a kid ARAH was as good as gold !

I love GI Joe flat-out, period, point blank! F**K what you heard! RUN TELL THAT! lol

kingphilbert
10-17-2011, 04:46 PM
I do find myself replacing 25th figures with their newer 30th incarnations were applicable. It also has me wishing for other updates or earlier 25th figures like the aforementioned Duke and Gung-Ho. For the most part they still mix well, but the newer ones def stand out.

speedocub
10-17-2011, 04:49 PM
I do find myself replacing 25th figures with their newer 30th incarnations were applicable. It also has me wishing for other updates or earlier 25th figures like the aforementioned Duke and Gung-Ho. For the most part they still mix well, but the newer ones def stand out.

I agree that if a newer, more detailed and superior rendition of the ARAH makes it to plastic I'll replace that with the new...but when too much liberty is exercised on the character it looses appeal to me and I tend to revert to the 25th version.

Colder Soldier
10-17-2011, 04:51 PM

This x 3.

I felt most of the 25th could've been a lot better as they were being released. I bitched back then when it was in style and was warranted. The kids on here nowadays don't know how good they got it. Lol.

GI abe444
10-17-2011, 04:53 PM
They are still good to me,even though the 30th look a hell of a lot better.

CVdelgado
10-17-2011, 04:54 PM
i love the 25th line. im sure not getting rid of it.

i will add good representations of the characters i like from the poc/30th plus line, but there are also a lot im not interested in adding.

so 30th Stalker was a sweet redo, but im not feeling any of the poc Dukes or that "Recondo" that doesn't really look like Recondo. ill happily stick to me 25th Duke and Recondo over those.

i cant believe people are wishing for another duke... yikes...

GI abe444
10-17-2011, 04:56 PM
i love the 25th line. im sure not getting rid of it.

i will add good representations of the characters i like from the poc/30th plus line, but there are also a lot im not interested in adding.

so 30th Stalker was a sweet redo, but im not feeling any of the poc Dukes or that "Recondo" that doesn't really look like Recondo. ill happily stick to me 25th Duke and Recondo over those.

i cant believe people are wishing for another duke... yikes...

I hear ya!

A.C.T.
10-17-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm good with the way they are.

sjames90
10-17-2011, 05:12 PM
I'm a big fan of the 25th line, but do see myself swapping out certain figs for the newer lines. Until Hasbro makes definative versions of my favorites (i.e. Hawk in the brown jacket), I see myself keeping many of the 25th figs.

Black Llama
10-17-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm sure in 15 years we'll all be fatter, balder and still discussing this. 25th was the best, PoC was the end of the line.. etc Still, right now? My PoC/30th are on display and my 25th are in a box in the basement....

Scroll142
10-17-2011, 05:14 PM

i'm here, as much as the new are leaps beyond what they were 4 years ago, the 25th was leaps beyond the original 84-87 line for me...

the part that kills me, is i think Hasbro could make a 30th version of so many of the characters they've already released and i'd be all over it.

lardman
10-17-2011, 05:24 PM
I agree with an earlier poster saying that certain figures still look good, e.g. Snow Serpent, but then others look rather spindly (e.g. Recondo, Stalker/Snake Eyes, Falcon).

While this look may be partly a throw back to the comic drawing style, I certainly like the extra detail on the clothing of the 30th and POC figures (i.e. some fabric texture and the fact their BDUs look like they are made of something other than lycra and that they are not being worn by personnel on a starvation diet! ;) )

Ground Pounder
10-17-2011, 05:24 PM
By the way, since we are getting dreadnoks, renegades, maraduars, airtight and lifeline who are going to want to start begging for now? :( I vote jinx, iceberg and um....some other ones...

Adamantite
10-17-2011, 05:25 PM
The first 25th carded Lady Jaye always looked fugly from day one though.

To be fair arah v1 Lady Jaye was fugly too.

I think some 25th figures still hold up well: the BAT, HoH Firefly, Comic pack Firefly, most of DoCI, a couple of Destros and CCs here and there. However we probably are due for updates on some characters we haven't seen since 25th, specially those with good headsculpts. It would be easy for Hasbro to update Outback, Scrap Iron, Hit&Run, Red Star, Alpine. But then others would need huge makeovers to lok good these days, like Gung-Ho, Storm Shadow v2, RockNRoll, Starduster, Leatherneck, Grunt, etc.

felks22us
10-17-2011, 05:31 PM
i wished they would bring out more character that get no love . i know we all have to many duke , snakeeyesand a few other. but when they do bring other character Like covergirl , she is so so so price. I did not mind the ROC one but she just dont fit in with some other joes .POC wave was a great way to do things but it did not lasted that long tho . could we get more females characters later on.

CVdelgado
10-17-2011, 05:34 PM
behold the glory of the 25th line!!!

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture46666-modern-era-joes-1.jpg

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture46665-modern-era-joes-2.jpg

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture46852-dscn2430a.jpg

felks22us
10-17-2011, 05:40 PM
By the way, since we are getting dreadnoks, renegades, maraduars, airtight and lifeline who are going to want to start begging for now? :( I vote jinx, iceberg and um....some other ones...

I so hear you on that they should do a fan choice for Joe wave . that would so cool to do . I would love to get Jinx,Iceberg, Cross-Country, Law and order and ect....

and more vehicles like H.A.V.O.C, Thunder machine,and tomahawk...

Hyryx
10-17-2011, 05:46 PM
I don't know, while I agree the split wrist sucked, I'm still quite happy with my-

ParaVipers
BATS
EEL's
Snow Serpents
Bazooka Troopers
Resolute Troopers

I'm not saying that I don't love POC, I just think a lot of the 25th stuff still holds up.

Agreed, yet it's true that these new figs make the 25th look dated. I have only two 30th cobra troopers and just can't have em next to my 25th troopers. The 30th troopers stand out like a sore thumb when againts my 50 25th troopers. I'm way too invested in my 25th to spend that coin again to replace em with the nicer 30th. Plus not to mention I don't run into many of the poc or 30th troopers at retail. Its a pain to army build the new guys, can't find em and too expensive. Most of my troopers were bought back in 07 early 08 when they were under five bucks at retail, ahhh those were the days lol. For now I'm sticking to two 30th troopers and in my realm they are cobra commanders personal guards.

teemu8
10-17-2011, 05:47 PM
the 25th line is still the best joes after the 80's RAH line....

CVdelgado
10-17-2011, 05:48 PM
i have a squad of 25th troopers (8 silver, 8 red symbol) and i am going for 16 of the 30th. that was a GOOD update. i hope we get some officers and stinger drivers off of the new mold as well. Night Watch would be good too.

Tman
10-17-2011, 05:53 PM
POC is a technical improvement over 25th, sure. To argue against that is folly. But to echo some of the earlier responses, a great deal of POC are departures from character's signature looks. POC Recondo just ain't Recondo to me. What I find myself doing is light customization of the 25th incarnations to make them more to my liking. I even went as far as shaving down Gung Ho's mustache and painting in a more accurate one. The result is an accurate Gung Ho look that I doubt Hasbro will likely produce any time soon.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is: I don't find the 25th's fugly, I have improved them to the point where they trump new versions. My ultimate Snake Eyes is still the grey one from the initial 5-pack. POC SE went back into a box.

ero
10-17-2011, 05:55 PM

ParaVipers
BATS
EEL's
Snow Serpents
Bazooka Troopers
Resolute Troopers

That's where I'm at. And don't forget, 25th gave us the best female figure to date, the 5-pack Lady Jaye. A great rendition of my Sunbow queen.

Honestly, I will gladly take a remake of any figure as long as it's better then the first try.

Ditto.

To be fair arah v1 Lady Jaye was fugly too.

She was, but I gotta say, she's one of the few 25ths that didn't improve on the original. (Club Dial-Tone is another.)

behold the glory of the 25th line!!!

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture46666-modern-era-joes-1.jpg

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture46665-modern-era-joes-2.jpg

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture46852-dscn2430a.jpg

Bless you, laddy! All these fair-weather fans. Sheesh!

Yes, split wrists suck, and Gung-Ho's coloring is just ... weird, but for every sweet PoC fig--and there are many--there are duds, too. Behold: Thunderpants Snake Eyes, City Strike Destro (waaaay worse than Arctic, IMHO), Crazylegs (you know it's true), Kickstart, Cyber Viper, TRU Quick Kick, 30th Stalker, Black Dragon driver ....

POC is a technical improvement over 25th, sure. To argue against that is folly. But to echo some of the earlier responses, a great deal of POC are departures from character's signature looks. POC Recondo just ain't Recondo to me. What I find myself doing is light customization of the 25th incarnations to make them more to my liking. I even went as far as shaving down Gung Ho's mustache and painting in a more accurate one. The result is an accurate Gung Ho look that I doubt Hasbro will likely produce any time soon.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is: I don't find the 25th's fugly, I have improved them to the point where they trump new versions. My ultimate Snake Eyes is still the grey one from the initial 5-pack. POC SE went back into a box.

Really well-stated. I'm still so much happier with my Bazooka after I trimmed the handlebar mustache and thickened it up. Now he's perfect.

Sgt Humpty
10-17-2011, 06:05 PM
What I find myself doing is light customization of the 25th incarnations to make them more to my liking.

Yeah, this is what I do, as well.

dewrag
10-17-2011, 06:08 PM
25th spirit what a joke...

ero
10-17-2011, 06:08 PM

One of my favorite figures ... I would add, one of the most PoC in, well, spirit. Came with lots of gear, detail web gear, good articulation and a good sculpt (I know some hate the head sculpt, but whatever). And must I remind you: daggers in sheaths! He was doing it way before PoC Beachhead, OK? :D

Darkfire
10-17-2011, 06:35 PM

^^^ this is SOOO true! Bbut you forgot the 25th Wetsuit... epic fail.
But the 25th Airbourne is still a masterpiece IMHO.

Now the 25th Vipers and Blue Shirts I am making into wounded/dead troopers.

Darkfire
10-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Hoping we get a better Roadblock and Gung Ho soon.

CobraCommandr
10-17-2011, 06:39 PM
I liked the 25th Scarlett, still do.

kingphilbert
10-17-2011, 06:42 PM

You don't like Resolute RB?

Barefoot Jedi
10-17-2011, 06:45 PM
I am one of the lucky ones.

My OCCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Collecting Disorder) doesn't affect me in that way.

My thing is I can't mix any actual vintage item with anything "new" unless I opened it myself (I know that makes no sense, I didn't say it was logical), but I don't mind standing ARAH molds next to POC molds. It troubles me not at all.

Having been a Star Wars collector for many years, I wonder if perhaps I became accustomed to the cycle of progressively better resculpts of the same characters in the same outfits.

Adamantite
10-17-2011, 06:48 PM
You don't like Resolute RB?

Ugh, I hated that headsculpt.

Unclassified
10-17-2011, 06:59 PM
i feel the total opposite, i love the 25th and actaually don't like the direction on the poc (to many shields and armor on em) but the classics that are in the 30th are right on... if it ain't classic, i dont want it, unless i make a new character out of it or if it's a cool army builder. but i personally like the direction of the 25th and that is the only reason why i started buying toys...

BYE

Fox
10-17-2011, 07:00 PM

I've found you can improve the 25th figures by giving them their POC or 30th head swap. Still doesn't improve the rest of their bodies but it helps.

The 25th does look good when I put them all up on display by themselves. I just can't place newer figures wearing classic uniforms like Low Light next to them without it looking like Low Light is the star of GI Joe and everyone else is a slightly ugly side kick.

pig iron grenadier
10-17-2011, 07:21 PM
No, but many POC/30th ones are. Most are the vests are horrible.

spiderpumpkin
10-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Yes they are fugly now. I went crazy and bought everything from 2007-2009 but by the time ROC started I didn't like any of them.

GI FLINT
10-17-2011, 07:34 PM
although i love the 25th, lowlight, SE and stalker from the new stuff really outclass the 25th stuff.

if they make them all this good, i will buy them all again. hear that hasbro?

just like MU. some the early figs were real turds. but when i saw that new dd/bulls eye comic pack, i bought it, even though i had a dd and a bullseye. bought the new namor to replace the old one, etc.

and i have countless batman figs, each was the "definitive" batman, 'till i saw the next one.

if you make build, they will come/buy it. keep it up hasbro!!!

Cobra Terrorist
10-17-2011, 07:43 PM
My viewpoint on it is a little different than most 'Tankers here.

I only started buying from ROC-on, so I haven't had much contact with the 25th figures. Now that I'm seeing them in my TJ Maxx and Marshall's stores for $3.00 each I've been buying them. I definitely see the difference!

I don't think they suck, I definitely like 'em. But it does make me realize and appreciate how much better the new figures have become - and in such a short time too.

Crimson Rage
10-17-2011, 07:44 PM
No, not really - I see just as much fluctuation of quality in the original line, from melon heads to poor sculpting definition. I accept them as what they are.

lilmonster777
10-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Vintage seemed ugly when 25th came out....now 25th seems ugly compared to poc...

Mainframe
10-17-2011, 07:51 PM
i feel the total opposite, i love the 25th and actaually don't like the direction on the poc (to many shields and armor on em) but the classics that are in the 30th are right on... if it ain't classic, i dont want it, unless i make a new character out of it or if it's a cool army builder. but i personally like the direction of the 26th and that is the only reason why i started buying toys...

BYE

seconded

CVdelgado
10-17-2011, 07:53 PM
vintage joes are ugly??? that's just kinda sad to hear people thinking that. vintage joes freaking rock awesomeness. well, ill stick to pre-1998 with a few post 97 additions for me.

spazzy
10-17-2011, 07:58 PM
I am a MOC, MIB collector, I can't afford the vintage, the 25th I love pretty much everything, especially the carded figures, the figures themselves never bothered me, there are alot of great sculpts on the 30th line, but to me I am more drawn to the 25th style carding, I just get the POC I like now, and don't need to be a completist.

CVdelgado
10-17-2011, 08:03 PM
definitely. 25th moc is the way to go. they look fantastic. it is a shame MORE of the characters were not available on single cards.

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture46177-dscn1963.jpg

MeLikeJinx
10-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Yah... when you look at your 25th figs one by one... they look hideous compared to POC/30th figs. But for me, when I look at my little 25th collection of my fav Joes... as a whole... I love them infinitely more than any POC/30th stuff. The bond to ARAH is just stronger with the 25th figs.

CLIFFjump3r
10-17-2011, 08:14 PM
After getting the 30th versions of Cobra Soldiers & Vipers, I really feel like I wasted my money army building the 25th versions of them.

(Although, I guess all the money some of us spent army building 25th and new-sculpt-era figures helped keep the line alive long enough for the 3oth Anniversary to happen.)

dorian247
10-17-2011, 08:18 PM
I love 'em all. 25th, POC, 30th even a VERY few of the movie figs. There are some ARAH figures that I like also.

I mean VERY VERY few of the movie figures... like 6 maybe 7.

Shady
10-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Yeah they definitely look like an older line to me now. That's a good thing though because that means the poc and 30th lines are really improving. If they don't improve then things get stagnant.

CVdelgado
10-17-2011, 08:49 PM
how about this...

25th figures are like a hot chick. (some) poc figures are like a super hot oh my gawd chick.

it still doesn't make the hot chick ugly. sure there are flaws in some 25th figures but they are still hot.

i will continue to buy the next round of "classic adaptations". that means they need to be true to the OG arah character like 30th stalker and low light. even snow job, dusty and beachhead were good 30th updates in my book.

but, i really don't want to listen to tankers complaining about getting all their arah guys who have 25th releases updated in the 30th line.

its getting kinda silly. maybe its just new people around here or people who are ALWAYS complaining for more, more, more... but its gonna get old real fast.

if you don't have any 25th, go get them. they are still relatively inexpensive and great modern era updates of your classic arah favorites.

and if you don't have any arah go get them. NOTHING beats the originals.

ogre_h
10-17-2011, 08:54 PM
I think in comparing the 25th to PoC I think the 25th Cobra trooper fares the worst. The Diaper Crotch does him in, as the PoC version has the same web gear and weapon. I wasn't going to go after the regular troopers, I just thought that it was sacrilegious to put SE54's legs on a lowly Cobra trooper. But the sole one I've found has grown on me.
Fortunately the Resolute Trooper still works well. I'm thinking of using them as Cobra's version of Marines. I like the HoH Vipers better than the new ones. They've got the classic look, and fixed hands. The 30th aren't that much of an improvement.
I think if PoC Aliens Duke had a removable vest he'd be the default Duke. He's just a little off.
And I'd really like to see a Classic Falcon. The Marauder set is a good start, the colors are horrid.
Torpedo and Deep Six from RoC are still great as divers.
Comic Pack Beachhead still holds up well, as do the various flavors of Firefly.
They've got to make a Jinx, and the Oktober Guard.

Vulcan Raven
10-17-2011, 08:55 PM
I still like em well enough... *shrugs*

fireflyguy
10-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Well, I can definitely tell that quality has improved overall since the start of the 25th line, but I'm not ready to throw any of them out. As I've mentioned before, I collect differently than some of you. I collect mainly by certain character, so I welcome all incarnations and reincarnations of some of my favorites like Firefly, Beachhead, Snake Eyes, etc. Each of their figures has a special place in my collection.

fireflyguy
10-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Wow, CV, your MOC collection looks awesome!

I don't think the vintage figures look bad, but it's like comparing original SW figures to the ones made today. The quality comparison is just overwhelming, but those old school figures hold a certain appeal. I love displaying some of my vintage Joes next to the new ones.

orezona
10-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Definitely.

Anyone want to buy mine?

I am going to need that money for the rest of the 30th figs.

iflabs
10-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Got out of Joe stuff 3 years ago after the 25th stuff. I made the mistake of picking up a POC Skydive a few weeks ago on a whim, now I have amassed quite a few of Joe figures. Hasbro did it right with the details on the 30th stuff, and most importantly, the shit tons of accessories.

A.V.A.C.
10-17-2011, 09:19 PM
It's the smell that gets me, the newer releases give off a much better off gas imho than the 25th.

BEAM
10-17-2011, 09:22 PM
For the nostalgia of the ARAH days , I think the 25th line was a solid venture and is worthy for any Joe fan's collection. Personally I've moved beyond the asthetics of the 25th appearance and much prefer the POC line. I like the modernization of the figures and the further away they are from the cartoon, the better for my tastes. But some still have a place in my collection, like Airborne, Spirit, and General Hawk.

Unclassified
10-17-2011, 09:25 PM
i see i'm putting alot of you on ignore..

SlŠn libh

CVdelgado
10-17-2011, 09:45 PM
I don't think the vintage figures look bad, but it's like comparing original SW figures to the ones made today. The quality comparison is just overwhelming, but those old school figures hold a certain appeal. I love displaying some of my vintage Joes next to the new ones.

except it should be noted that the vintage arah joes were better than vintage star wars, and the new joes are better than the new star wars... :)

sbartek1974
10-17-2011, 09:50 PM

But it was only 4 years ago!

Steelgrave
10-17-2011, 10:09 PM
No! They're not looking ugly to me.

Van Hammer
10-17-2011, 10:11 PM
I hate Outback's hands literally no gun will fit in them.

TheRealDubya
10-17-2011, 10:20 PM
There's some gems from the 25th collection (same as RoC), but overall I'm all-in on the current aesthetic and have liquidated most of my 25th.

But they do make great Sunbow-style verions of the classic ARAH GI Joes. They have a place in my heart, and shit.

Blaster'spunchingbagg
10-17-2011, 10:30 PM
I don't feel as if the 25th is that horrid, sure there are some that are just terrible franken-joes but for the most part I like it.

MeLikeJinx
10-17-2011, 10:31 PM
There's some gems from the 25th collection (same as RoC), but overall I'm all-in on the current aesthetic and have liquidated most of my 25th.
I kind of feel sorry for people that troop builded the hell out of 25th Vipers and Cobra Troopers... it must feel like death when they see the 30th Vipers and Blueshirts on the pegs. LOL. I'm lucky, my 25th Cobra collection consists of HOH Storm Shadow and 25th Alley Viper... that's it. LOL.

Unclassified
10-17-2011, 10:39 PM
I kind of feel sorry for people that troop builded the hell out of 25th Vipers and Cobra Troopers... it must feel like death when they see the 30th Vipers and Blueshirts on the pegs. LOL. I'm lucky, my 25th Cobra collection consists of HOH Storm Shadow and 25th Alley Viper... that's it. LOL.

i don't even like the poc versions of them.. honestly, i don't even like the poc at all. like the roc and whatever else they came out with, i only buy what i like, to build, if i buy any other, they get ripped apart.. i look at the viper, all i see is storm shadow arms, hoh head, and shock trooper body, nothing about it appeals to me, and same goes for the troopers.

don't feel bad for me.. feeling bad for unclassified will get you no where, unless one of my cats pass away agian, then feel bad, that's when i will need your support..

i love my 25th collection, and really don't like the poc line.

zedhatch
10-17-2011, 10:42 PM
I can't help but crack up when threads like this pop up. The same complaints that we were told to "shut up and quit being negitive" about are the realizations of the future. It would be even more funny if it weren't so true.

Maybe knocking those negitive folks isn't the route to haveing a great GI Joe line.

Python_Puckman
10-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Some can be a little rough, but they are still beautiful!

sjames90
10-17-2011, 10:46 PM
I agree 30th and POC trump 25th in overall effort. But I don't think they're getting ugly. I love almost all of my 25th figs. But the updates have definately made me swap out a few for newer, (and to me) definative versions of characters.

Unclassified
10-17-2011, 11:02 PM
all of you are now delelted from my friend list and put on ignore...

Aloha k„kou

super curry max
10-17-2011, 11:15 PM
I'll take a diaper crotch commander over some fancy smancy puffy jacket commander any day.

Unclassified
10-17-2011, 11:18 PM
i'll just take a diaper crotch at this point, i've been drinkin'

Crimson Gord
10-17-2011, 11:21 PM
i agree for the most part, and even the customs i made using 25th web gear and parts are starting to look a little bland.

Unclassified
10-17-2011, 11:25 PM
^^^ ņ la prochaine

Jay West
10-17-2011, 11:39 PM

I loved Resolute and ROC Roadblock. I thought ROC Gung Ho was decent.

jogunwarrior
10-17-2011, 11:49 PM
I tried to collect the 25th Joes, but the weird limited articulation, and the fact I was unable to find the majority of the figures being released left me cold. I decided to abandon the Modern Era stuff almost all together and stick with the ARAH classics that I enjoy collecting and playing with!

Nirvana
10-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Other than a few of the really early figures that had some lame issues (Lady Jaye with the solid forearm/hand combo, for example), I think the 25th stuff still holds up quite well with the newer figures that have come out since.

Unclassified
10-18-2011, 12:04 AM
right on.. he stays..

crock master
10-18-2011, 12:08 AM
I have several Dukes.
nice

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e205/picklis/picasioncom_60e1f249a1f29b46030411eafdad9741.gif

CVdelgado
10-18-2011, 12:16 AM
I'll take a diaper crotch commander over some fancy smancy puffy jacket commander any day.

yeah, i had to use that poc puff jacket commander for my arctic cobra commander. ubp cc is still my default, but resolute looks good with 30th.

Unclassified
10-18-2011, 12:16 AM
nice

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e205/picklis/picasioncom_60e1f249a1f29b46030411eafdad9741.gif

how the hell did duke get speared in the heart, and just get a coma? my whole life i thought he died.. that was til i came here and someone said , nah he was in a coma..

Scoop
10-18-2011, 12:18 AM
I liked the fact that early on in the 25th line the figures looked as if they had an "animated" feel to them as if some of them came directly from the cartoons or comics.

Lately though with ROC, POC, and now the 30th line the figures are looking more "realistic" to me.

This causes a bit of a problem when trying to display figures from each line together. Some of them look out of place with each other.

With the release of the upcoming BBTS exclusive 7-packs I've noticed that the figures have more of a "realistic" feel than an "animated" feel to them. Some of the new figures from those 7-packs do not look like they will match up well when displayed along side figures from the 25th line.

This is just my opinion though.

Even with that said I'm still greatful that they are being released and I will eventually place an order for them.

Unclassified
10-18-2011, 12:21 AM
I liked the fact that early on in the 25th line the figures looked as if they had an "animated" feel to them as if some of them came directly from the cartoons or comics.

Lately though with ROC, POC, and now the 30th line the figures are looking more "realistic" to me.

This causes a bit of a problem when trying to display figures from each line together. Some of them look out of place with each other.

With the release of the upcoming BBTS exclusive 7-packs I've noticed that the figures have more of a "realistic" feel than an "animated" feel to them. Some of the new figures from those 7-packs do not look like they will match up well when displayed along side figures from the 25th line.

This is just my opinion though.

Even with that said I'm still greatful that they are being released and I will eventually place an order for them.

now you just scared me.. i never thought of that, and if my noks don't gel, i'm gwon be mad

urrutiap
10-18-2011, 01:11 AM
Even though I never got the chance to buy all of the other 25th anniversary GI JOe figures I have noticed that most of them just reuse the same damn body parts and repainted. Most of their body parts are green shirt body parts.

That and forearms reused from Vipers, Roadblock armband forearms, etc.

At least for the 30th anniversary and some Pursuit of Cobra figures, the body parts are somewhat new while some reuse some certain body parts like arms most of the time

thairestauranteur
10-18-2011, 01:35 AM
I'm started to think of selling some of them. Like Duke. I want to have a Duke in my modern collection dressed in his classic uniform. He looks absolutely horrible next to newer and even some other 25th line joes. I have several Dukes. Some look really good but they aren't wearing the right uniform. I need a 30th style Duke in right uniform cause 25th Duke is looking ugly. Still not as ugly as 25th Gung-Ho.

Why in the world ask for Duke?????? There is 50 million different version of that idiot!!!! Hasbro makes a Duke all the time. That and CC, SS, and SE.

Hasbro needs to focus on other characters for awhile.

25th was revolutionary in action figure design and engineering.

POC and up has expounded upon the premise at the expense of fubaring the filecard layout.

Just think of 25th as when Hasbro was getting the bugs ironed out and when POC came on the scene, they were in "the zone".

Too bad really. After RoC, my Walmart has refused to carry any Joes. Because of the terrible sales strategy of RoC, it has made retailers like my local Walmart forever hesitant in carrying Joes.

It sucks. Joe is in its prime now. Best action figures of all time and I can't get any. The only way it so get gouged on ebay.

10-18-2011, 02:00 AM
It' s the same line. From 82 to 94 improvements were made on the figures. Neck joint, Swivel arm battle grip, Battle Corp had more weapons. Hasbro makes improvements as the line moves forward. The packages may look diffrent every couple of years, but they are the same. If you only like the newer figures I can't vault you, there nice, but it's still the same line no matter what they call it. except for most of RISE OF COBRA THOSE THING'S ARE JUST FUCKING UGLY, EVEN WITH THE BETTER ARTICULATION.

FlintWO2
10-18-2011, 02:45 AM
I thought the 25th Anniversary Joes were some the greatest. Thought they even held up well enough to be displayed next to the more recent figures. I'm starting to change my mind about that. POC Low Light, 30th Sci-fi & Life Line are all in their classic uniforms but look far better than the 25th joes in their classic uniforms. It is like displaying the pre-1983 joes next to the post-1984 classic joes. Same basic toys but some are clearly better.

I can't stand POC Low Light next to Comic Pack Beach Head. Beachy got those skinny, big jointed arms. Some 25th figures still hold up. Some just don't. I'm started to think of selling some of them. Like Duke. I want to have a Duke in my modern collection dressed in his classic uniform. He looks absolutely horrible next to newer and even some other 25th line joes. I have several Dukes. Some look really good but they aren't wearing the right uniform. I need a 30th style Duke in right uniform cause 25th Duke is looking ugly. Still not as ugly as 25th Gung-Ho.

You know this is an excellent post and I have to totally agree with you. I would say unfortunately about half of the 25th Joes no longer stand up to their POC/30th counterparts. Some figures like 84 style Duke, 83 style Gung-Ho, 82 Cobra Trooper, and even HOH Beach Head look pretty rough next to newer figures like POC Wave 3 Duke, POC wave 3 Snake Eyes of the POC Low-Light. However, there are a few that still look great. Like, Airborne, Red Ninja, etc.
While I don't have any desire to see ever figure redone. It would be nice to possibly get a Joe and Cobra 7-pack for the 30th line, with key characters updated.

luigi
10-18-2011, 02:53 AM
how the hell did duke get speared in the heart, and just get a coma? my whole life i thought he died.. that was til i came here and someone said , nah he was in a coma..

yeah
in original script from what i heard they killed duke off
but then they decided it's too violent to have anyone ever die

Unclassified
10-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Even though I never got the chance to buy all of the other 25th anniversary GI JOe figures I have noticed that most of them just reuse the same damn body parts and repainted. Most of their body parts are green shirt body parts.

That and forearms reused from Vipers, Roadblock armband forearms, etc.

At least for the 30th anniversary and some Pursuit of Cobra figures, the body parts are somewhat new while some reuse some certain body parts like arms most of the time

i'm gonna have to disagree here.. from what i gather of the poc, they all use the same parts, duke legs/zartan legs, zartan arms/spirit arms( in which were modded roc ss upper arms, that were originally quick kicks and guess what he was from?), hawk legs/recondo legs, shock trooper/ trooper/viper, snake eyes/stalker, steal brigade arms/ shock trooper arms.

i do believe the poc reuses more poc parts than the 25th had, granted the amount of 25th figure trumps how many poc were made, though.

i don't think to much roc parts were used except for roc ss, they love them upper and lower arms, and torso as you can tell in the new 7 packs, and all three of them pieces were from quick kick, actually, and he was 25th.

i was gonna wait for gunslinger to point out the obvious, but it seems he don't wanna post in this thread.

and some parts were from resolute, hawk torso/duke torso and a few other parts..

25th was the shit, and you all know it.. i'm sure we can pull up some posts here dating back to 08 how you all loved em and they were the best ever and how hasbro fucked up with stopping it and ruining it with roc.

except for the new guys, they don't count and niether does their opinions. after you get your time in, then we will pay attention to you..

Fox
10-18-2011, 03:55 PM
The 25th, POC & etc have all reused parts. POC have better parts overall to reuse. 25th had some good parts to use but would often end up using the inferior parts.

omega145
10-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Yes but then again, compare them with the vintage figures and they are 100X better, dont care what anyone says with the ridiculous comments of the vintage figures being better. Besides nostalgic reasons, the 25th are still way better than the vintage Joe's. They still do an amazing job of recreating the original joe's while still sticking to the same similar mold and paint apps.

CVdelgado
10-18-2011, 04:53 PM
guys face it...

arah joes = awesome

25th = awesome

30th = awesome

next.

teemu8
10-18-2011, 04:55 PM
guys face it...

Arah joes = awesome

25th = awesome

30th = awesome

next.

agreed!!!!

pig iron grenadier
10-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Here are easy and obvious examples of what I call "The Line". Basically it is a line in the sand that determines if You are an ARAH guy, or a Joe guy.

Do you prefer CP or HoH Beachhead to POC Beachhead?

Do you prefer AOCI Recondo to POC Recondo?

The argument doesn't work as well with cobra Trooper and Viper, because there are really only aesthetic changes that make them more appealing, and they are still amazingly close to the spirit of the original. The same is basically true for POC W3 SE...Especially the Commando form...It is still classic SE--just jazzed up.

If you prefer POC Beachhead to the ME ones you are probably a Joe guy rather than an ARAH guy. I'll leave it at that.

lardman
10-18-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm quite fond of the original uniform looks (so e.g. 30th SE and Stalker, minus the dreads, are great).

I wasn't fond of the ROC and early POC moulded armour everywhere (POC Beachhead could have been perfect but for the random moulded armour), as I'd prefer a realistic or even old-school look to uniforms and equipment.

What I certainly like about ROC, POC, 30th over 25th is the increase in the detailing of the uniforms, clothing, vests, etc., whatever they may be.

Someone mentioned Recondo. I like the original ARAH look, which wasn't very well done in the 25th figures. I don't mind the look of the POC Recondo, but not as Recondo... :)

atomatron
10-18-2011, 08:23 PM
love em, now someone stop me troopbuilding aka box filliing

CVdelgado
10-19-2011, 11:24 PM
more 25th moc beauty...

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/cvdelgado-albums-my+modern+era+collection-picture46866-dscn2526a.jpg

Gatchaman
10-20-2011, 02:37 AM
i'm here, as much as the new are leaps beyond what they were 4 years ago, the 25th was leaps beyond the original 84-87 line for me...

the part that kills me, is i think Hasbro could make a 30th version of so many of the characters they've already released and i'd be all over it.

Totally!!!

If they re-did all the 25th figs over in POC/30th form keeping true to there original ARAH look (AKA Low Light, Crazy Legs, Air Tight, etc....) I would buy every single one.

The 25th line was great and I still love it and use it but the POC line is just soooo much better. When my son and I play we mix both 25th and POC. We don't use POC Recondo though because he is just too different. I think they did a good job with the 25th Recondo although it is definitely 25th style.

And I am sick of Duke like everyone else but I have to admit I would love to see a V1 POC/30th version of him.

Gatchaman
10-20-2011, 02:49 AM

Just put POC Spirits head on the 25th body and he becomes one of the best figs in the line. Seriously.

I hated the 25th Spirit. Then I did the head swap and he is now one of my favorites.

MLos1
10-20-2011, 06:19 AM
i was thinking this exact thing...

BUT

it's not a bad thing...it just shows how they are growing and making the sculpts better and better and the design squad keeps pushing boundaries...it's progress.

even the 25th pushed boundaries now the 30th and POC do...which is great in my opinion...

i also happen to like that each era has a different "look".

cobracobra
10-20-2011, 09:16 AM
CVdelgado your wall looks awesome. 25th is a little weird looking but allot of toys from 5 years ago look funky, The first 5 waves of Marvel Universe are complete junk compared to what they are doing now.
I would really love new heads to put onto 25th figures, Roadblock really comes to mind with this. He is a favorite character but his head being sooo small looks really silly to me.

rip_cord
10-20-2011, 09:29 AM
i actually prefer the 25th Trooper (v5) to the POC/30th Trooper.
don't get me wrong, the POC/30th is AWESOME, but the 25th has that right balance of nostalgia to me.
i'm sure i'm in the minority on this one.

iya818pque
10-20-2011, 07:33 PM
got all the 25th single carded in moc and loose and never army build so I'm pretty happy with my decision to keep one moc and one to display. My 25th vehicles are all MOC.