PDA

View Full Version : HATE the talking to Walmart/Target employees on

MLos1
08-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Especially the on the phone.

Target employees with their stupid shitty little scanner guns won;t go to aisles to actually tell you what's in stock unless you beg.

Then they have no clue what they are looking for. Girl came back to the phone telling me all they had were GI JOE cranes? Turns out it was a HISS Tank. Where you get a crane from that I have no clue?

And Walmart, the phone operator barely spoke any English, then when I get to talk to someone actually in the toy department, they tell me they do not carry 3-3/4 GI JOES, and have not for months, although last week I bought 4 figures there, and two days ago they had an entire set of vehicles and 6 Wild Bill figures.

I know if I drive out to Wal-mart right now. I'll find the Wild Bill figures on the pegs and that, yes they do carry them, and the vehicles will still be there too.

At Target, I'll find more than just the HISS tank, prob 2 packs with Destro and Breaker and Fred and Comic Viper and more vehicles.

They suck.

And this is not just for the toy dept either. Call any dept looking for anything and they cannot give you a clear answer.

Jism83
08-06-2008, 09:58 AM
its because they dont get paid enough to care what you want.

i dont even bother talking to employees anymore. i have gone around and around with them, got into a few altercations, and still ended up without what i wanted.

If i dont see it on the pegs now i dont even bother. Even though i know they have cases of wave 9 sitting in the back.

COBRACOLLECTOR
08-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Im sorry but eff the customer when you work a shitty retail job. The customers suck ass. too many customers come into stores acting like they are king and every employee should worship them.

Eff that. You wanna know whats on the peg? get off ur lazy ass and go to the store to find out. Dont like the service? go somewhere else instead of bitching out someone who already hates their fuckin job.

And if all you find is wildbill and torpedo, then you're gonna just have to try harder.

hey darth u sure you dont work in my staten island KB lol
hhaahhahahaa

Cus they hate when u ask anything lol

Jism83
08-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Im sorry but eff the customer when you work a shitty retail job. The customers suck ass. too many customers come into stores acting like they are king and every employee should worship them.

Eff that. You wanna know whats on the peg? get off ur lazy ass and go to the store to find out. Dont like the service? go somewhere else instead of bitching out someone who already hates their fuckin job.

And if all you find is wildbill and torpedo, then you're gonna just have to try harder.

whoa guy, calm down. deep breaths.....wave 9....bats....deep breaths....

Outsider
08-06-2008, 10:08 AM
whoa guy, calm down. deep breaths.....wave 9....bats....deep breaths....

Seriously... Not all customers are a-holes. I don't think it's right to treat the polite and friendly ones like myself like all the other crap that shops there. I always do my best to be courteous... Doesn't always work but hey... atleast you tried.

Dark 5cythe
08-06-2008, 10:12 AM
.........sorry guys lol. And actually I used to work at a KB toys along time ago lol. and a TRU. and a Target. Im just so fed up with retail and how people treat you because your an employee. Its like this sense of entitlement or something.

Ive said it repeatedly. If you want good service. dont be difficult and be polite. If you start to argue, employees just zone you out. its that simple.

I helped out EVERY collector that was nice to me. I would go and literally look though cases of what ever for them. the ones that were pricks got turned away or ignored.

and as for calling and asking whats in stock. If ur gonna be too lazy to go to the store, why wont the employee be too lazy to check for you?

Dark 5cythe
08-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Seriously... Not all customers are a-holes. I don't think it's right to treat the polite and friendly ones like myself like all the other crap that shops there. I always do my best to be courteous... Doesn't always work but hey... atleast you tried.

You are totally right. just 90 percent are lol.

The Batman
08-06-2008, 10:28 AM
There was one time I called a Target and the lady really tried to help me, I gave her the codes for the Battle Packs and she said they had 4 on the shelf and so I went and got my share. So for that day it was +1 for the Target people, but as far as Target as a whole is concerned - they are still way in the negative.

Dark 5cythe
08-06-2008, 10:34 AM
you gotta work at Target to really understand how badly people are treated there. The team leads(wannabe mini managers) are constantly watching over you telling you to do it faster. and then they go and give you everyone elses job while theyre at it.

And they have these little sheets of paper from the computer that says how fast you should be doing something.

Atreides
08-06-2008, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=Dark 5cythe;241901
and as for calling and asking whats in stock. If ur gonna be too lazy to go to the store, why wont the employee be too lazy to check for you?[/QUOTE]

Agreed, not only that but do you expect the average employee to even recognize whether figurees are new ones or just peg warmers? Luckily my Walmart, Kmart and Target are all with in a mile of each other. I can check all three in under 30 minutes without talking to a soul.

delta
08-06-2008, 10:42 AM
inner plastic peace.

Rad

MLos1
08-06-2008, 10:45 AM
I used to work for KB and Target too when i was in college.

I wasn't an asshole, because I understand the collector's circuit. And I was cool because I knew i wasn't stuck at those places, just temp job, and it's extremely simple to look for an item.

Laziness? No. Driving "X" amount of miles and walking "X" amount of feet are two different things in my world.

I called because it was 8:30 in the morning.

And I don't think 90 percent of customers are a-holes.

All of us on this board are customers somewhere, someplace, and if you're calling out 90 percent of customers as a-holes, then you're calling us a-holes too. Because we're in that 90 percent.

Makes no sense.

sharke
08-06-2008, 10:46 AM
weird, who'd figure a 16yr old making minimum wage wouldn't care? lol

I gotta go with Darth 5cythe on this one though. Most of the time people have entitlement and superiority issues when it comes to employees. Also lets be honest, most collectors (all brands) out there are hard to deal with.

MLos1
08-06-2008, 10:59 AM
And yes, employees are treated like crap at Target, and the personnel performance assessment sheets are bullshit. Because everyone works at their own pace. Not everyone can be compared to the prototype of the "super-worker" Target has cooked up with all their number crunching and personnel analysis.

Team leads are power mongers. But usually inept. So ignoring them was easy.

And calling and asking "Do you have any small GI JOES for 7.99?" is siiiiiimple to answer. Not rocket science. Makes it very clear you're not looking for 12 inch figures, and or vehicles.

If that's an impossible question to answer. The employee will not succeed working anywhere. Because jobs get a lot more complicated than working at Target. Unless they want to (which I doubt), or are forced by some outside influence to work at Target.

Just make the best of it, and answer me the "yes" or the "no" that my question simply beckoned of you.

Dark 5cythe
08-06-2008, 11:04 AM
And yes, employees are treated like crap at Target, and the personnel performance assessment sheets are bullshit. Because everyone works at their own pace. Not everyone can be compared to the prototype of the "super-worker" Target has cooked up with all their number crunching and personnel analysis.

Team leads are power mongers. But usually inept. So ignoring them was easy.

And calling and asking "Do you have any small GI JOES for 7.99?" is siiiiiimple to answer. Not rocket science. Makes it very clear you're not looking for 12 inch figures, and or vehicles.

If that's an impossible question to answer. The employee will not succeed working anywhere. Because jobs get a lot more complicated than working at Target. Unless they want to (which I doubt), or are forced by some outside influence to work at Target.

Just make the best of it, and answer me the "yes" or the "no" that my question simply beckoned of you.

Ideally I do agree with you on this. the problem is that enough rude customers creates very jaded employees. and yeah, the fat old lady that works toys should answer your question. But she most likely isnt gonna know whats new and whats old or sit there and tell you figure by figure whos on the pegs lol.

Dark 5cythe
08-06-2008, 11:05 AM
weird, who'd figure a 16yr old making minimum wage wouldn't care? lol

I gotta go with Darth 5cythe on this one though. Most of the time people have entitlement and superiority issues when it comes to employees. Also lets be honest, most collectors (all brands) out there are hard to deal with.

I know huh? Whats the world coming to where a 16yr old making 5-8 bucks doesnt give a shit about some nerd calling for toys lol

Amberbratt
08-06-2008, 11:08 AM

post of the day!

FTW!

delta
08-06-2008, 11:12 AM
I usually hate talking to customer service as well.

I have run into the random nice employee, but they are few, and far between.
I have worked in customer service as well (Pizza Biz). You can't let people run all over you, but you do have to do what the customer asks. You don't have to be happy about doing it, but you do have to act happy about doing it (if you ever want that 25. cent raise you were promised).

I'd say asking what GI.Joe items they have in stock is not asking them to go above, and beyond their job description.

However expecting them to know the difference between the GI.Joe items is a bit much.
So yeah calling a Hiss Tank, a GI.Joe crane (while confusing to guys like us) sounds about right. At least that tells you they have "something" GI.Joe in stock.

Dark 5cythe
08-06-2008, 11:14 AM
I usually hate talking to customer service as well.

I have run into the random nice employee, but they are few, and far between.
I have worked in customer service as well (Pizza Biz). You can't let people run all over you, but you do have to do what the customer asks. You don't have to be happy about doing it, but you do have to act happy about doing it (if you ever want that 25. cent raise you were promised).

I'd say asking what GI.Joe items they have in stock is not asking them to go above, and beyond their job description.

However expecting them to know the difference between the GI.Joe items is a bit much.
So yeah calling a Hiss Tank, a GI.Joe crane (while confusing to guys like us) sounds about right. At least that tells you they have "something" GI.Joe in stock.

A Gi Joe crane lol? " Uh yeah we have this little motorcyle and a little flying bubble with a purple guy on it" lol

MLos1
08-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Target Online Job Application - Homeland Stupidity (http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2005/08/09/target-online-application/)

Read the comments on bottom of this page to see where stupidity leads you. It's funny.

Realistically, every post so far is right and wrong in some way. The employees "should be", or "shouldn't be" stuff is always gonna be an point to be argued.

People are hard to deal with yes... But, I just want 1 simple f'n question answered. It's possible. It is possible to get the question answered. It's not the HOLY GRAIL of all questions, not complex math, it's one simple question that can be answered.

16/17 years olds don't give a shit about ANYTHING, not only Target, so that's true.

In other news...

Click the link up top, and scroll down and read some of the comments left on the article. It's hysterical and really shows how dumb the people are, Dark 5cythe's POV, but yet how much they pretend to give a shit, and how well they will work out for the company- LOL, where are all these people?

Yes, I do understand it's all bullshit. And there are TONS of 16/17 year old chicks on this message board with kids. Crazy. Bag the shit up.

MLos1
08-06-2008, 11:25 AM
And yeah, she called it a crane when I called this morning. It was a HISS Tank, though. But she thought it was a crane.

Probably because of the hook it has, and the big arm ascending from it's orange/yellow structure...

I can see it gets confusing.

Christ....(Rolls-Eyes)

She probably drove there this morning too, which is even MORE f-upped. Danger.

sharke
08-06-2008, 11:27 AM
but how do you expect a guy who has no kids and doesn't collect to know what you're specifically talking about. All he'll know is GI Joe yes we have them or no we don't. DCPI doesn't give specific figures and doesn't always give that great a description.

MLos1
08-06-2008, 11:30 AM
All I wanted was a "yes" or "no" on 7.99 figs, I'll drive out to look what they have if I know there are at least some on the peg.

She threw the "crane" comment in there by her own free will.

Daywalker
08-06-2008, 11:38 AM
I used to work at TRU in college from 95-98 and I would specifically go out of my way to make sure scalpers and collectors didn't gorge everything. Star Wars was coming out then and Hot Wheels Treasure Hunts made everyone go crazy. Hot Wheels collectors were the worst. We'd get 30 cases of Hot Wheels in and couldn't put them out till the ones on the shelves sold and no one could understand that. They expected us to just open them up and let them grab the Treasure Hunt cars or whatever they needed and seal them back up. I'd catch customers in the back all the time.

I tried to help kids the most but made sure I got alot of stuff too (believe me, Treasure Hunts (could trade them for other stuff)and other rare toys did not make it to the floor :p) but then I would try to help collectors. After awhile you get an idea of who is who and can try and make sure scalpers do not get alot of stuff. In a big store like Walmart or Target that is tough though. Unless they specifically work in Toys they have no idea what you are talking about and a "sorry, we don't carry that or we are out of that" is easy to do.

With gas prices and the headache I just do pre-orders through BBTS and will check here and there if I happen to be at a store. Not worth it dealing with the hassle.

sharke
08-06-2008, 11:48 AM
random derailment, are Hot Wheels collectors that bad? I always hear horror stories about them but it seems beyond comprehension.

TEMPLAR BAGGINS
08-06-2008, 12:01 PM
HEY NOW!!! I work for Walmart and yes, I give a shit about the customer(s). In fact, I give 2 shits! If a customer calls looking for assistance in toys, I will go and LOOK for what they want and if we don't have it, I'll look it up in the computer and tell them which store locally DOES have it (I'll even call that store to confirm it). And it's not just in toys either. Furniture, sporting goods, hba, pets, electronics... you name it and I can find it. I've worked every department in that store so I have a pretty good grasp of where anything is. If I don't know, I find somebody who does.

When it comes to customer service, I DO give a shit. I do it because I know that if I were in THEIR shoes, I would want someone like myself to help them find what they're looking for. No, the customer is not always right. But the customer DOES pay my salary and put food in mine and my wife's mouths so yeah, I'm gonna bend over backwards to help them - even though it's the right thing to do anyway.

its because they dont get paid enough to care what you want.

i dont even bother talking to employees anymore. i have gone around and around with them, got into a few altercations, and still ended up without what i wanted.

If i dont see it on the pegs now i dont even bother. Even though i know they have cases of wave 9 sitting in the back.

MLos1
08-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Hot Wheels collectors are crazy.

When I worked for KB there were a few that would come in every Wednesday like clock work looking for treasure hunt cars and they would ask if the other guy had been there before them so they could nag him for trades on what product he beat them to the punch to.

Back on my tour of duty, the Furby moms were lunatics.

The Tickle Me Elmo mommies were crazy too.

Pogs people were dumb, as I never saw the attraction.

There was a re-issue of the Betsy Wetsy doll, and a hurricane in Thailand knocked the major manufacturer off a cliff so no one got any of those for months and months and they were getting to become a murderous mob, they did not believe us when we told them the factory was destroyed, they thought it was a bullshit story. But it was true.

The Pokemon people were just plain weird and addicted to that stuff like crack. As well as the Magic card people.

watson349
08-06-2008, 12:14 PM
i don't talk to them anymore either. at walmart i just get there early while they still have cases on their little cart, and take what i want, open it and leave what i don't want on the shelf. i consider it helping the employee out in a way. just make sure they aren't around at the time.

Daywalker
08-06-2008, 12:34 PM
random derailment, are Hot Wheels collectors that bad? I always hear horror stories about them but it seems beyond comprehension.

They are NUTS, well generally. No other collectors would go back in the storeroom and try to get boxes of stock out. We had to start stacking the boxes where they could not be seen because of so many fights with customers wanting them. The TH craze was nuts.

I was at TRU for Power Rangers, Tickle Me Elmo, Tamagotchi and Furbies. We didn't know what Tamagotchi was and some lady bought all we got in at first like 200 of them. Power Rangers was the craziest during Christmas time we had parents camping out all day with lunches in hopes of getting them for their kids. Spoiled much? Reminded me of TFs in 1984 and how hard a time my parents must have had and only could get Soundwave. My kid would just have to wait a few more months for sure.

Tracker
08-06-2008, 12:46 PM
I was told by a walmart toy employee when I bought the ucp #for certain the figs that she could not see if they had that particular one in stock she said no matter what # I brought it would only show what they have on the shelf

Gunzlingr
08-06-2008, 01:00 PM
I was told by a walmart toy employee when I bought the ucp #for certain the figs that she could not see it they that a particular one in stock she said no matter what # I brought it would only show what they have on the shelf

LOL

I asked a kid that I know if they had anymore, he scanned the peg and told me that they were currently out, but that they would have more by Sunday.

Lifeline_MD
08-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Honestly, I've found that service depends both on the customer and the employee.

Obviously as a collector I have a lot of experience dealing with clerks.

Generally, if you are friendly to the clerk, they are much more willing to help you. I know that just from asking the simple question of "Do you know if you can order G.I. Joe action figures? Your peg is empty." at WM, I had one of the clerks in the toy department holding cases of Joes for me for the next three waves (then she got bumped to sales and disappeared). Just from being friendly to her, she was willing to help. By contrast the same clerk would block other customers from knowing what they had in stock because of their rude disposition (everything from yelling to swearing).

Similarly, I've found that by engaging the workers at local specialty stores, I've gained some good collector friends who are willing to hold specific figures for me until I get off work. Other customers who just fly in and out without a word of acknowledgment unless they have to pay do not have that option.

In my opinion this contrast in service depends greatly on the actions of the customer.

Now, I've never worked as an employee in retail, but I have a little anecdotal evidence for that side.

At the local TRU, I've been a regular customer for several years. I've seen complete staff turnovers dozens of times (including 5 different managers), but two experiences with clerks stand out in my mind.

The first was just around the time the 5-packs, and waves 1 and 2 were initially arriving. I'd scored both 5-packs two days previously, and asked one of the clerks in the action figure section if they knew if they'd be receiving the single carded figures. He had just been talking perfectly amiably to a fellow clerk, and to my surprise he glared at me and said that the only people who had purchased the ones they got in were older people who just wanted to put them on display in their little offices, and he wasn't going to tell anyone if or when Joes came in. I decided it was best to ignore him and leave (two weeks later he was gone from the job).

By contrast, just a few weeks ago, there was another staff turnover. It was the day they were putting out the clone wars stuff, and a friend and I were on a toy run. Two of the younger clerks were just finishing struggling with the clone wars signs over the display. Both of them were griping about how it should have been one of the stock guys who put these up last night, rather than leave it to them to do during their shifts. Despite their evident irritation, my friend asked whether or not they had more boxes in the back, as he was looking for something in particular. Despite her irritation of a moment ago, one of the clerks cheerfully took him into the back to rummage around in the cases that they didn't have shelf space for. The other asked if I needed help with anything, and then assisted in my quest for Joes (sadly none). She offered to let me know the nest time I came in if they got a shipment of Joes. (Is it wrong to want to ask out a clerk to get perks on Joe shipments?)

To me these two experiences highlight how an employee's personality can have a great impact on the service you receive.

In the end the success of a retail interaction depends both on the customer's treatment of the clerk, and the clerk's personality. Both consumers and clerks have some disgusting people, but equally, they have some very nice and helpful people.

Tracker
08-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Honestly, I've found that service depends both on the customer and the employee.

Obviously as a collector I have a lot of experience dealing with clerks.

Generally, if you are friendly to the clerk, they are much more willing to help you. I know that just from asking the simple question of "Do you know if you can order G.I. Joe action figures? Your peg is empty." at WM, I had one of the clerks in the toy department holding cases of Joes for me for the next three waves (then she got bumped to sales and disappeared). Just from being friendly to her, she was willing to help. By contrast the same clerk would block other customers from knowing what they had in stock because of their rude disposition (everything from yelling to swearing).

thing is I was nice and this person was determined that she was not going to help me. She feed me two bs stories two day in a row. I was even nice after ward say thank you and good by.

Lifeline_MD
08-06-2008, 01:31 PM
thing is I was nice and this person was determined that she was not going to help me. She feed me two bs stories two day in a row. I was even nice after ward say thank you and good by.

Thats happened to me also - see second half of post.

topnotch97
08-06-2008, 05:40 PM
start with a smile, and then ask them nicely.

and lastly don't expect them to know stuff, especially if the store has hundreds of items that they're not even aware of.

you expect a part-time college kid to know what wave 9 is? or what it looks like?

sba
08-06-2008, 06:15 PM
post of the day!

FTW!

I find it funny that you agree about not helping out customers, then one thread down from here you're complaining about Hasbro not helping a customer to their satisfaction.

Headman
08-06-2008, 06:22 PM

I agree with this 100%. They don't pay you enough to care about every stupid customer expecting the royal treatment. When you call them on the phone you're cutting into time they need to get their actual work done before they can go home. Put yourself in their shoes. You make $7.50 an hour, your boss is being a dick, and some customer is chewing your ear off about some stupid toys.

sba
08-06-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm shocked at the amount of people here who agree with not helping a customer to full satisfaction.

That's pretty much what you're paid to do. You're a representative of your company, and these customers are spending money in your stores. You should be going out of your way to help them find what they're looking for, or direct them to someone who can help them.

Headman
08-06-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm shocked at the amount of people here who agree with not helping a customer to full satisfaction.

That's pretty much what you're paid to do. You're a representative of your company, and these customers are spending money in your stores. You should be going out of your way to help them find what they're looking for, or direct them to someone who can help them.

Are you serious? These people get treated like crap from both their bosses and the customers and make next to nothing. Yet they should take satisfaction in helping some toy collector score some plastic crack?

sba
08-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Are you serious? These people get treated like crap from both their bosses and the customers and make next to nothing. Yet they should take satisfaction in helping some toy collector score some plastic crack?

It should be no different whether you're helping a customer asking about toys, or a little old lady asking where the Tide is. Regardless of how much money you make, or how crappy you think you're being treated. Your first job above all others if you are on the sales floor is to help the customer.

Headman
08-06-2008, 06:38 PM
And I should poop skittles so all the children of the world can enjoy delicious candy.

DarthBrett
08-06-2008, 07:10 PM
My first real job was working at Target and I have to say no matter how stupid or irritated a customer I got I always strived to meet their needs and not cave in to the mentality of being a "mediocre" employee. The #1 golden rule in customer service................"The customer is always right". It's hard to abide by but ultimately you have to try hard to adhere to it. Customers are what keep the business that writes your paycheck afloat. And I would say customers are not all a-holes by any means. I'd say 33% are awesome, 33% are just....well they're just there and then you have the other 33% that are raging d*@kheads. I also have to say that a lot of times an asshole would end up being really nice and polite if I just responded to their inquiries with some courteous behavior. It's when you roll your eyes and slouch over and act as though you don't care when the customer then becomes irate. If you want to make money (even if it's only 5-8 dollars an hour) then you damn well better work hard for it. I don't understand, if you want to make good money, you work harder. If an employee is bitter about his wage then maybe he's in the wrong occupation or maybe he needs to work hard and actually earn that pay increase.

Seems like everybody these days thinks they deserve to make money right out of HS. Sorry, you have to earn your stripes in the workplace.

Headman
08-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Maybe the customers should actually show up to the store instead of calling them about a product that they won't be able to hold for them anyway. Yeah, everybody should work hard and try their best. With that said... don't be offended when some teenage kid with a boatload of work to do doesn't want to go digging on the floor or in the stock room for some pushy customer who won't be happy with any other answer beside "Why yes we do. We'll hold it as long as you'd like!". I actually liked working retail. Even more I liked working toys, but customers have to understand that the world does not revolve around them. If the customer were always right they'd already know the answers to their stupid questions.

DarthBrett
08-06-2008, 07:29 PM
I guess you could say that you just have to roll with the punches and accept the fact that customers being pushy comes with the territory. It's still not a good excuse for being a sub-par employee no matter what the situation is. If I'm a supervisor or manager, I would expect 100% effort from my employees and nothing less. You have to earn a raise, not slack off or leave customers dissatisfied or angry.

Headman
08-06-2008, 07:38 PM
I actually agree with you. The people in question have a lot to learn about responsibility. But responsible people don't stay in those jobs for long. The nature of retail is to keep costs down and that includes the help. Less than stellar costumer service is to be expected in that line of work. In their defense, part of the problem is that we expect them to be experts on every single item in the store. If we want experts then maybe we should stop bashing the so called scalpers and pay extra for the service.

DarthBrett
08-06-2008, 07:39 PM
You're fired!!! LOL, just kidding. I do agree with you.

Dr. Henry E. Miller
08-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Some college kid who's only working there to pay for beer and car insurance doesn't care about you or your toys.

ladyhump
08-06-2008, 07:43 PM
If there weren't customers there wouldn't be a store. Or, so Sam once told me.

DarthBrett
08-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Some college kid who's only working there to pay for beer and car insurance doesn't care about you or your toys.

And the college kid working there has to understand that the customer who wants to buy a toy (and in essence putting money into the store that pays the college kid so he can get his beer and insurance) also doesn't care about the college kid's beer and car insurance.

Headman
08-06-2008, 07:56 PM
You need to try being indifferent about something now and then. It's very liberating. :)

BigD350Z
08-06-2008, 08:02 PM
And can ultimately, if the customer so chooses, have a negative impact on that employee buying anymore beer (i.e. getting their ass canned for being a worthless pile). It's simple. You get training when you start and they tell you this is what you do and how you're supposed to do it. If you choose not to do that, you run the risk of getting canned. Wal-mart, Target, TRU didn't come knocking on their door asking them if they wanted a job. I think it's ludicrous to believe employees shouldn't be expected to help customers find things via the phone. If that were the case, why does Target answer by saying "Thank you for calling Target what can I help you find today?" Hmmmmm....

Headman
08-06-2008, 08:08 PM
And can ultimately, if the customer so chooses, have a negative impact on that employee buying anymore beer (i.e. getting their ass canned for being a worthless pile). It's simple. You get training when you start and they tell you this is what you do and how you're supposed to do it. If you choose not to do that, you run the risk of getting canned. Wal-mart, Target, TRU didn't come knocking on their door asking them if they wanted a job. I think it's ludicrous to believe employees shouldn't be expected to help customers find things via the phone. If that were the case, why does Target answer by saying "Thank you for calling Target what can I help you find today?" Hmmmmm....

That's the confusing part. They make you answer the phones and then they get mad at you when you neglect your actual work so you can run around the store looking for some obscure item that a customer swears they saw the other day. They're not worthless piles of anything. They're doing their jobs. You're just getting mad when they don't go out of their way to do you a favor. Or if they do look, you assume they're lying to you. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

P.S. And by "You" I don't mean anyone in particular. I just mean the customer in general.

sharke
08-06-2008, 10:11 PM
And I should poop skittles so all the children of the world can enjoy delicious candy.

this makes me giggle

Bamphalas
08-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Today I approached a worker at the my Wal-Mart toy aisle. With a smile on my face, I approached him and asked him "How are you today?" He replied, "I'm doing fine, Thanks." He then asked me if there was something he could help me find. I told him how I was looking for GI Joes, but the pegs are bare except for the two crushed ones. He then told me that they had been ordered but Wal-Mart central shipping just hasn't bothered to send them to the store. He then most graciously pulled out his scan gun, blipped the bar code and showed me the screen where it indicated 2 in stock, 16 on order and 0 in transit. This gentleman is not a teenager, not a college kid, but an older man who is probably doing what he can to supplement his income. We parted ways after chatting about Wal-Mart's computer inventory system, and how someone not even at that location decides if they are allowed to receive more of a product. He said that despite putting in an order, central shipping will send it to the Wal-Marts with the most traffic, especially the ones that sell out.
The point of the story is, that regardless of me being the "customer", I approached him in a pleasant manner as one person to another. If you approach someone with a sense of entitlement, you are bound to encounter hurdles. And believe it or not, just by calling the store and expecting someone to do your legwork, you have already given the impression that you think yourself "special".

sharke
08-06-2008, 10:46 PM
And believe it or not, just by calling the store and expecting someone to do your legwork, you have already given the impression that you think yourself "special".

I could not agree with this statement more!

vadersquest
08-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Today I approached a worker at the my Wal-Mart toy aisle. With a smile on my face, I approached him and asked him "How are you today?" He replied, "I'm doing fine, Thanks." He then asked me if there was something he could help me find. I told him how I was looking for GI Joes, but the pegs are bare except for the two crushed ones. He then told me that they had been ordered but Wal-Mart central shipping just hasn't bothered to send them to the store. He then most graciously pulled out his scan gun, blipped the bar code and showed me the screen where it indicated 2 in stock, 16 on order and 0 in transit. This gentleman is not a teenager, not a college kid, but an older man who is probably doing what he can to supplement his income. We parted ways after chatting about Wal-Mart's computer inventory system, and how someone not even at that location decides if they are allowed to receive more of a product. He said that despite putting in an order, central shipping will send it to the Wal-Marts with the most traffic, especially the ones that sell out.
The point of the story is, that regardless of me being the "customer", I approached him in a pleasant manner as one person to another. If you approach someone with a sense of entitlement, you are bound to encounter hurdles. And believe it or not, just by calling the store and expecting someone to do your legwork, you have already given the impression that you think yourself "special".
Thank You!!

Tunnel Rat
08-06-2008, 10:48 PM
there is a really nice lady in the tampa walmart who helps me all the tima looking for joes.. she takes her job serious and is all about customer service.

BigErn
08-06-2008, 10:50 PM
It usually sucks talking to those people.

When I heard that the Target exclusives were running out and no more were going to be made I panicked (I still didn't have them) and started calling my local stores. To make a long story short most of the people I talked to either left me on hold until I hung up or gave me attitude like I just kicked their puppy.

If you don't like your job, find a new one, or at least let someone else answer the phone.

BigD350Z
08-06-2008, 10:55 PM
So you think you're special if you call a store and ask them if they have something? I guess you also always go to pick up your pizza when you order it too don't you? How much more patronizing is that? Not only telling someone what you want, but making them bring it to your doorstep. Wait...what...that's their job??? So is assisting me via the phone for a retail employee.

Captain STEVEN DePACE
08-06-2008, 10:56 PM
And the college kid working there has to understand that the customer who wants to buy a toy (and in essence putting money into the store that pays the college kid so he can get his beer and insurance) also doesn't care about the college kid's beer and car insurance.

Wait, so the cat who doesn't care that some dude who's old enough to be his dad is buying action figures, has to be all "SURE THING MASSA I'LL DO WHAT YOU WANT" but Mr "ITS A SERIOUS HOBBY I SPEND A LOT OF MONEY ON IT!" doesn't have to care about the employee?

From my experience respect is a two way street, I know there's been times I've come across as a dick to someone working retail and if they didn't do there absolute best to help it's not a big deal, sometimes I don't even care about what I ask for.

sharke
08-06-2008, 10:59 PM
To make a long story short most of the people I talked to either left me on hold until I hung up or gave me attitude like I just kicked their puppy.

then, you should have kicked their puppy. always after, not before.

crock master
08-06-2008, 10:59 PM
im sure target and walmart employees hate talking to customers on the phone too especially at $5 an hour

DarthBrett
08-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Wait, so the cat who doesn't care that some dude who's old enough to be his dad is buying action figures, has to be all "SURE THING MASSA I'LL DO WHAT YOU WANT" but Mr "ITS A SERIOUS HOBBY I SPEND A LOT OF MONEY ON IT!" doesn't have to care about the employee?

From my experience respect is a two way street, I know there's been times I've come across as a dick to someone working retail and if they didn't do there absolute best to help it's not a big deal, sometimes I don't even care about what I ask for.

Customer service isn't about respect. It's a service that's provided by people who are getting paid to do it as a job by their employer.

"The customer is always right". It's a rule that all employers have gone by for years. You as an employee don't have to believe it, but you better let the customer believe it. Customers don't have to respect anybody to get some service. It's called biting your tongue. Sure, you may not like the customer, but you have to oblige....it's what you are getting paid to do. Seems like a lot people on here don't really get that. Target isn't paying their employees to make up their own rules and only satisfy the needs of the customers that "respect" their employees. And it doesn't matter what the consumer is buying. It's all money in the long run and that is all that the retailer or your employer cares about is making money and making the customer happy so he spends even more at the store. If every employee at Target sucked a$$ and management didn't do a thing about it, then customers would start avoiding the store and business would go down and the employees would either lose their job or take a pay cut. Simple way to look at it....make the customer happy. They spend money. Customer puts money into the store. Store gives you a paycheck.

DED(

BigErn
08-06-2008, 11:14 PM
I've had my share of jobs I didn't like but I have never been a dick to a customer, that's bad for business plain and simple. Some customers are just naturally going to be nasty, but you have to be able to see it coming and react accordingly. Every customer needs to be handled slightly different than the last. If that's too much for some people to handle then they're in the wrong line of work.

Headman
08-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Judging by the "We no longer cater to collectors" memo from Target I'd say that whole load about the customer always being right is nolonger company (Or IMO Industry) policy. I don't know what retail stores you guys have been working at, but in the real world people aren't being paid to answer phones and dig in the stock room for every lazy slob who knows how to dial a phone. Being a jerk will get you know where, and it's a shame this hobby is infested with jerks. I can see why a lot of Joe collectors still play with toys. It's because they're a bunch of spoiled babies.

BigD350Z
08-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Who's lazier, the person who won't drive 15 miles to go see if a store has something or the person who won't walk 15 feet to go check for them? I'm not insinuating you be a butthole when you call and honestly I've never had an issue when calling in to have something checked. My issue is with people saying that's not supposed to be part of their job. I wonder what their boss would say if I asked them if it's part of their job. What do you think?

Saboteur
08-06-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm no fan of Target, but as far as customer service goes, DarthBrett and Mlos1 are right on the money. It's sad that many don't see this and is a prime example of why customer service is all but dead in America.
My hat's off to all of the employees, toy departments, sporting goods departments, fast food chains and any and all businesses that deal with the public one on one on a daily basis that bite their tongues and strive to satisfy and put their customers first! Sab

Saboteur
08-06-2008, 11:43 PM
I've had my share of jobs I didn't like but I have never been a dick to a customer, that's bad for business plain and simple. Some customers are just naturally going to be nasty, but you have to be able to see it coming and react accordingly. Every customer needs to be handled slightly different than the last. If that's too much for some people to handle then they're in the wrong line of work.

Well said. Sab

Tracker
08-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Judging by the "We no longer cater to collectors" memo from Target I'd say that whole load about the customer always being right is nolonger company (Or IMO Industry) policy. I don't know what retail stores you guys have been working at, but in the real world people aren't being paid to answer phones and dig in the stock room for every lazy slob who knows how to dial a phone. Being a jerk will get you know where, and it's a shame this hobby is infested with jerks. I can see why a lot of Joe collectors still play with toys. It's because they're a bunch of spoiled babies.

Maybe a few are but most are not. It isn't very mature to start name calling.

I say it always pays to be nice even if the employees are rude. I agree that being a jerk will get you nowhere.

delta
08-06-2008, 11:51 PM
People who work at the DMV, the poast office, and Nurses rank higher on the b!tchy scale than most retail workers.

No one wants to go and renue their license, or go to the post office, or especialy the hospital, but at some point we all have to.

None of us HAVE to go to Wal-Mart, and the like. We want to. I can deal with a snotty retail employee a little better, cus' I know it's kinda ridiculous for me at 27 years old to be buying toys in the first place.

Saboteur
08-06-2008, 11:53 PM

So, you're calling us 'lazy slobs' and 'spoiled babies' and WE are the jerks?
Question 1: If you aren't being paid to answer phones and bring stock from the stock room into the store, who is?
Question 2: Please tell me where you work and I will make a point to steer clear away from you as it doesn't seem like your well versed in customer service.
Sab

sharke
08-07-2008, 12:04 AM
I'd say that someone who calls a store and asks for an associate to look for toys for him is kind of a slob.

Dr. Henry E. Miller
08-07-2008, 12:06 AM
None of us HAVE to go to Wal-Mart, and the like. We want to. I can deal with a snotty retail employee a little better, cus' I know it's kinda ridiculous for me at 27 years old to be buying toys in the first place.

Finally someone who gets it.

Headman
08-07-2008, 12:14 AM
So, you're calling us 'lazy slobs' and 'spoiled babies' and WE are the jerks?
Question 1: If you aren't being paid to answer phones and bring stock from the stock room into the store, who is?
Question 2: Please tell me where you work and I will make a point to steer clear away from you as it doesn't seem like your well versed in customer service.
Sab

#1- Customer service takes the phone calls but their main job is returns. They transfer the calls to an understaffed department usually staffed by one or two kids who have about 100 other things they've gotta do besides hunting down random toys that they're not allowed to hold for you anyway.

#2 - I don't work retail anymore. When I did I always went out of my way to be helpful, but I can see why some retail employees behave as they do. I cannot however see why some of my fellow collectors behave as they do. You wanna put yourself in their boat? That's your call.

Obviously you took offense to some of my comments. I'm sorry about that. I'll ignore your snotty remarks seeing as I don't think you really understood who I was referring to.

sharke
08-07-2008, 12:18 AM
offended members, snide comments, self righteousness, this has all the makings of a great thread!

Headman
08-07-2008, 12:21 AM
I hate the term "self righteousness". Can't we call it something else, like "Integrity"?

sharke
08-07-2008, 12:21 AM
no, not nearly as funny!

Headman
08-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Worth a shot.

sharke
08-07-2008, 12:23 AM
true

Blaster'spunchingbagg
08-07-2008, 12:26 AM
So you think you're special if you call a store and ask them if they have something? I guess you also always go to pick up your pizza when you order it too don't you? How much more patronizing is that? Not only telling someone what you want, but making them bring it to your doorstep. Wait...what...that's their job??? So is assisting me via the phone for a retail employee.

I have to agree, I seldom get answers I'm looking for on the phone, unless I give them a DCPI #. That always helps. I wouldn't call on the phone that much if gas wasn't four dollars a gallon. I actually like the hunt. I live within walking distance to two targets, one wally and one TRU. I rarely call, but sometimes for a desirable you have too. ie BATs. I found two by calling and two by working over a store by my house. If you go at the opening 8:00 am, you are bound to get some goodies eventually.

Saboteur
08-07-2008, 01:33 AM
I'd say that someone who calls a store and asks for an associate to look for toys for him is kind of a slob.

Then, I'd say I hope your not in customer service! Sab

Saboteur
08-07-2008, 01:48 AM
#1- Customer service takes the phone calls but their main job is returns. They transfer the calls to an understaffed department usually staffed by one or two kids who have about 100 other things they've gotta do besides hunting down random toys that they're not allowed to hold for you anyway.

#2 - I don't work retail anymore. When I did I always went out of my way to be helpful, but I can see why some retail employees behave as they do. I cannot however see why some of my fellow collectors behave as they do. You wanna put yourself in their boat? That's your call.

Obviously you took offense to some of my comments. I'm sorry about that. I'll ignore your snotty remarks seeing as I don't think you really understood who I was referring to.

I was on the other end of the spectrum from you on the train of thought in this forum. So, yes, I did take offense. There was nothing snotty about my comments. Sincere questions.
I'm not a slob or a jerk and rarely do I bother or harass employees in person or by telephone for toys, or anything else in the world that I need thats more important that some plastic action figure. And thats good information for you to remember since you don't know me from adam or anyone else here that you accuse of being "lazy slobs" or "jerks"
But if you can't understand that some people can't afford gas to drive around and around and around (my nearest Target is 45 mins away) then don't accuse them of being jerks or lazy slobs.
The only boat I place myself in is that when I walk into a store, I don't think I'm special. I don't think I'm owed anything, other than a polite smile and a willing hand from someone who works in customer service. After all, that IS what they're paid to do. And I DO expect customer service. If that's too much for someone, they need to find another line of work. Or win the lottery. Now, if you think Target or Wal-Mart is going to stand behind some rude employee over a customer who is not being bothersome, just looking for some help, and the employee whines they're not being paid enough, or it's not their job, you've missed the boat.
If you left your job because you were overworked or underpaid, sounds to me like your beef isn't with collectors. It's with the company who hired you.
Ignore all you want pal. From here on out, I'm ignoring you. Sab

Headman
08-07-2008, 02:16 AM
"Being a jerk will get you no where, and it's a shame this hobby is infested with jerks." That framed my argument as I intended it. I guess somewhere I struck a nerve.

Tracker
08-07-2008, 02:34 AM
hay now don't you two think this is getting a little out of hand

Headman
08-07-2008, 02:37 AM
I agree. Maybe I got carried away with some of my comments. I do apologize.

Dark 5cythe
08-07-2008, 02:56 AM
Hot Wheels collectors are crazy.

When I worked for KB there were a few that would come in every Wednesday like clock work looking for treasure hunt cars and they would ask if the other guy had been there before them so they could nag him for trades on what product he beat them to the punch to.

Back on my tour of duty, the Furby moms were lunatics.

The Tickle Me Elmo mommies were crazy too.

Pogs people were dumb, as I never saw the attraction.

There was a re-issue of the Betsy Wetsy doll, and a hurricane in Thailand knocked the major manufacturer off a cliff so no one got any of those for months and months and they were getting to become a murderous mob, they did not believe us when we told them the factory was destroyed, they thought it was a bullshit story. But it was true.

The Pokemon people were just plain weird and addicted to that stuff like crack. As well as the Magic card people.

OMG you are so right about the tickle me elmo and furby moms! They are some scary people! I saw women get in fist fights over cutting in line!

And yah guys hotwheel collectors are the bottom of the barrel as far as store employees are concerned. My target banned some of them because they pushed some little kids out of the way and security saw it.

Dark 5cythe
08-07-2008, 02:57 AM
offended members, snide comments, self righteousness, this has all the makings of a great thread!

And I just got the infraction to prove it! Epic lol

Dark 5cythe
08-07-2008, 02:58 AM
I agree. Maybe I got carried away with some of my comments. I do apologize.

Why apologize if its what you really felt and meant? You are no less wrong because someone is offended.

We seem to bow down to who ever is offended in this society. it sucks.

Imperial_Ozma
08-07-2008, 04:02 AM
I myself have never called Walmart (and Target dosn't exist up here... what kind of store is it exactly? just toys, or is it a dept store?) Anyway... I do remember being with my friend (the Joe fan who runs the hobby store) when he called them once looking for Stargate Atlantis boxsets... the conversation went like this

"do you have stargate atlantis season 1 in stock?
"what's that?"
"a dvd set"
"let me check"
"we have Stargate S G, is that what you're looking for?"

What always bugs me is a lack of product knowledge in store reps... of course it's impossible to know everything, but you should know your dept or section pretty well, so you can properly assist customers.

Headman
08-07-2008, 04:12 AM
I myself have never called Walmart (and Target dosn't exist up here... what kind of store is it exactly? just toys, or is it a dept store?) Anyway... I do remember being with my friend (the Joe fan who runs the hobby store) when he called them once looking for Stargate Atlantis boxsets... the conversation went like this

"what's that?"
"a dvd set"
"let me check"

What always bugs me is a lack of product knowledge in store reps... of course it's impossible to know everything, but you should know your dept or section pretty well, so you can properly assist customers.

Target is kinda like Wal-Mart only more expensive and less crowded. As for basic knowledge of the product at Wal-Mart you've gotta cut them some slack because they sell everything. And not knowing the name of every science fiction series on DVD doesn't exactly make you a horrible employee.

Dark 5cythe
08-07-2008, 04:14 AM

"what's that?"
"a dvd set"
"let me check"

Target is the direct competitor to Walmart. The only difference is that Target is a little more expensive because its for "better" customers. not the poor people who generally frequent walmart.

Targets are usually as big as most walmarts and carry the same items. they tend to be clean and organized unlike Walmart.

Headman
08-07-2008, 04:17 AM
Target is the direct competitor to Walmart. The only difference is that Target is a little more expensive because its for "better" customers. not the poor people who generally frequent walmart.

Targets are usually as big as most walmarts and carry the same items. they tend to be clean and organized unlike Walmart.

Just say it. Target is the evil Wal-mart.

Amberbratt
08-07-2008, 04:48 AM
HEY NOW!!! I work for Walmart and yes, I give a shit about the customer(s). In fact, I give 2 shits! If a customer calls looking for assistance in toys, I will go and LOOK for what they want and if we don't have it, I'll look it up in the computer and tell them which store locally DOES have it (I'll even call that store to confirm it). And it's not just in toys either. Furniture, sporting goods, hba, pets, electronics... you name it and I can find it. I've worked every department in that store so I have a pretty good grasp of where anything is. If I don't know, I find somebody who does.

When it comes to customer service, I DO give a shit. I do it because I know that if I were in THEIR shoes, I would want someone like myself to help them find what they're looking for. No, the customer is not always right. But the customer DOES pay my salary and put food in mine and my wife's mouths so yeah, I'm gonna bend over backwards to help them - even though it's the right thing to do anyway.

And that boys and girls.. is why he is "SHOCK-WAVE-THE-MAGNIFICENT" FTW!

Imperial_Ozma
08-07-2008, 04:53 AM
Target is kinda like Wal-Mart only more expensive and less crowded. As for basic knowledge of the product at Wal-Mart you've gotta cut them some slack because they sell everything. And not knowing the name of every science fiction series on DVD doesn't exactly make you a horrible employee.

LoL I just said "you couldn't know everything" but again I think you should have some basic knowledge of your section... put people who actually know about shoes in the shoe section and people who know about sewing in the cloth and sewing materials section.

Anyway... my gripe about product knowledge is more a general thing not limited to Walmart (if you work in a comic store you should know your batmans from your captain americas for example... I've seen people who don't). And the story was mostly just meant to be amusing...

sharke
08-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Then, I'd say I hope your not in customer service! Sab

yes because thinking its lazy to call Target and ask an associate to find a Duke for you means I have no interaction skills.

There was nothing snotty about my comments.

"Then, I'd say I hope your not in customer service!"

you can't understand that some people can't afford gas to drive around and around and around

if you can't afford gas then reset your priorities. these are toys.

Just say it. Target is the evil Wal-mart.

I'd say you have that reversed

DOC
08-07-2008, 10:50 AM
I find that calling around is for the most part a wast of time. Although On occasion I'll get a competent/Willing employee, that will take the time out to check and actually inform me there is new stock in. Also putting the stuff on hold for me at the customer service desk.That is only at target I get help like that! 24hour WalMart's are great if you can be there around restocking hours. Most of the time you just have to ask someone working stock to help. They will most of the time,pull anything with out a street date off the pallet and opener up for you.

It's the Hot~Wheels guys that F*** it up for everyone els! I hear lots of employees complaining about that group of collectors all the time.

jaimanstone
08-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Target Online Job Application - Homeland Stupidity (http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2005/08/09/target-online-application/)

Read the comments on bottom of this page to see where stupidity leads you. It's funny.

I nearly cried reading this I was laughing so hard! Makes me want to gets me one uh dem edjumications!

spacemonkeymafia
08-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Well I have a Sister who works for Target and my GF works for Walmart........My sis is told by the managers at Target to help people with whatever they need.......My GF is told by her Managers (LSMs) to act dumb and to not help........

Walmart as a whole dont care....there are the few Employees who do but not enough. When your told by your managers to act dumb and not help is stupid....and yes they might not make much but they still get paid.

If you hate your Job so much and cant take time to help a "GUEST" than you need to go find a new job........

I find Target is better.......they get more stock (Walmarts here get none except walmart 40 mins away)......

Target might be alittle more Expensive but at least their people seem to care.....and they have stock.......

Headman
08-07-2008, 02:13 PM
LoL I just said "you couldn't know everything" but again I think you should have some basic knowledge of your section... put people who actually know about shoes in the shoe section and people who know about sewing in the cloth and sewing materials section.

Anyway... my gripe about product knowledge is more a general thing not limited to Walmart (if you work in a comic store you should know your batmans from your captain americas for example... I've seen people who don't). And the story was mostly just meant to be amusing...

I understand what you mean. And I do expect more knowledgeable service at specialty shops than I do department stores and the like. With Wal-Mart the department the person on the phone is helping you with may not be their every day department. If they're short handed they'll just have someone cover it. Plus to be honest I can't remember half the DVDs I own, and not being a fan I could easily see myself not knowing the difference between Stargate Atlantis and Stargate SG-1. But yeah, I get your general point and do agree that a little more product knowledge would be nice.

Saboteur
08-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Sharke, I guess you didn't read my last post correctly.
"These are toys."
No kidding.
And you don't call people because you think that is lacking in interaction?
Newsflash bub, talking on the phone IS interaction and it involves people skills. Something ELSE you obviously lack.
Bugger off. Sab

concrete
08-07-2008, 02:26 PM
you gotta work at Target to really understand how badly people are treated there. The team leads(wannabe mini managers) are constantly watching over you telling you to do it faster. and then they go and give you everyone elses job while theyre at it.

And they have these little sheets of paper from the computer that says how fast you should be doing something.

true, i worked at a target for two years so i sympathize with the employees but to often when im shopping at target i get the absolute worst customer service. walmart is pretty bad but not as bad as target. the worst part of it all is,target is my wifes favorite place to shop.

Saboteur
08-07-2008, 02:38 PM
I've had shitty jobs before. I think we all have at one time or another. I've worked in customer service and had customers who have come in and were looking to give a hard time.
Did I like it?
No.
But if I wanted to keep my job and the bills paid, I bit my tongue and kept a smile on my face.
Like I've already said before though, if you are overworked and/or underpaid, your beef is not with "collectors" and/or consumers. it's with the company that hired you. Period.
What I and others fail to see is if you're treated poorly by your employer, where is the right to turn around and take it out on a customer?
Do you hate your employer so bad, but are scared to say anything about it, so you take it out on some unassuming customer, by whining 'it's not YOUR job' or 'I don't get paid enough'
When you work for a company, you work as a team. Don't like it, thats your right. Look for another job.
But being able to bite it and go or turning it around and being a whinebag to a consumer/customer is the earmark of what makes a worker responsible and mature.
No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Sab

lister
08-07-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm kind of of two minds on this subject. On the one hand, I believe that when someone is hired to do a job they should be expected to do the job and what it entails. That said, I don't expect employees of any store to go out of their way for me or anyone else. I can't be upset that an employee making $7.50 an hour is just doing the bare minimum.

Saboteur
08-07-2008, 03:02 PM
My last paragraph in my last post.
Sab

Headman
08-07-2008, 03:05 PM
My last paragraph in my last post.
Sab

Aren't you ignoring me?

concrete
08-07-2008, 03:16 PM
target sucks

Headman
08-07-2008, 03:29 PM
One thing I find somewhat amusing is this idea that if people aren't happy in their jobs they should quit. First, if retail is all you're qualified for where exactly are you supposed to go? Second, some people depend on their benefits and don't have time to work another 90 days to qualify for benefits somewhere else. These are the practical reasons why these guys and gals don't just up and quit. As I said in an earlier post as a rebuttal to a couple of more civilized people with opposing views, responsible people don't stay in these jobs for very long. If the stores want better help, they'll have to pay for it.

concrete
08-07-2008, 03:34 PM
i hate target

Saboteur
08-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Yes,
In fact I thought we were ignoring each other?
I'm tired of going round and round with ya and your pal Sharke.
I never said that when the scalper with the bad attitude comes in every week, and TELLS you to go look in the back you should bow down him as the master and do as he says.
In fact, you should report him to your manager. And if your manager is half decent, he would ask him to not be demanding of the employees. If said customer continues, the manager should inform the customer he is not welcome in the store and to leave the premises.
However, when one man comes in, sees the shelves empty and sees an employee and aks, 'Do you have any in stock that you haven't been able to get out just yet? Could you check for me?'
The employee, if they're half decent, should say, 'Let me check for you. I'll be right back.'
Not, 'I dunno' or 'I dont get paid to do that' or 'That's not my job'
Customer service. That is what CUSTOMER SERVICE is about. Call Target or Wal-Mart or any other business and ask them if this is not their policy. Then tell us what they told you.
Heaven forbid they have to 'look' in the stockroom, because they would only be doing something else on the floor and on the clock if they weren't looking for product for a customer.
If its unfair that your employer doesn't pay you enough, or overworks you, then its unfair that you turn around and pass it along down the chain to the customer.
Two wrongs don't make a right.
If you or your pal can't see this and have to resort to name calling (ie lazy slobs or jerks) and have to pretend to that your a slave for doing your job(wonder how many people you offended with that quip genuis) then you've got a lot to learn in the real world my friend and as DarthBrett said it's beating a dead horse.
Sab

Saboteur
08-07-2008, 03:37 PM
And I've kept my word Headman. I've put you and Sharke on ignore and can't see your posts. I expect you to do the same. Sab

245am
08-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Consider this a general warning to all posters in this thread: The topic of this thread is individuals' experiences as customers and employees at different retail stores.

Personal attacks on other users won't be tolerated. Using this thread to trade insults will get it closed ASAP. I'm not saying this again.

concrete
08-07-2008, 03:44 PM
i mean i really hate target, lol

spacemonkeymafia
08-07-2008, 03:46 PM
I love Target........really love it........I hate Walmart....

Just messing Concrete..........

Headman
08-07-2008, 03:51 PM
I know that was just a joke from Space, but I don't really understand the Wal-Mart hate in general. I usually find more of what I'm looking for there and at better prices. The help is usually about the same between the two stores in my area.

delta
08-07-2008, 04:13 PM
O.k. I just tried calling my two local Target stores as an experiment due to this thred.

Both were helpful, but not overly.

The first I asked
Q."Do you have any GI.Joe products in stock?"
A. "Yes. We have GI.Joe action figures."

Target#2
Q. "Do you have any GI.Joe comic packs?"
A. "Yes. They come with two figures, and a comicbook."

Both were acceptable answers IMO.

Normal people don't know as much about GI.Joe as we do, and we shoulden't expect them to.

Here on the Tank GI.Joe is all of "our thing".
Amongst Me, and my friends GI.Joe is "My thing". If I start talking about CobraLa, or the arisaka clan around "Normal" people I know I'll get funny looks:)

delta
08-07-2008, 04:18 PM
I know that was just a joke from Space, but I don't really understand the Wal-Mart hate in general. I usually find more of what I'm looking for there and at better prices. The help is usually about the same between the two stores in my area.

I just don't like Wal-Mart cus' of ethical reasons. Everything is exported from China.

Not to mention what they do to the little man, and his or her buisness.

Still though I'm poor most of the time, and if I can get a can of something 60 cents cheeper I'll go there to get it.