PDA

View Full Version : Defenders Of The Earth

PitViper
09-03-2011, 12:52 AM
So I just bought the entire run on dvd via Amazon...5 discs (I think).

Anyone I loved this show as a kid and havent seen it in years. I'm watching the very 1st episode and really I can't believe this toon didn't do better. I think for what it is and when it was done they did a fantastic job of fleshing out the characters and actually making them seem relevant and pretty badass......I mean these characters are pretty ancient!

Sure, there is a cheese intro (why does he strain his voice like that!?) and I dare you to not sway your head when he does Mandrake's part of the song......some dated animation and stuff but in the end for the few bucks that it is, it turned out to be one of the cartoons I bought that I remembered why I liked it as a kid.

Very cool cartoon....I'd love to see this revamped in another toon or a comic book or something.

Crimson Rage
09-03-2011, 06:03 AM
Yeah, I bought the box-set years ago and loved it - Each episode actually had a narrative that moved from A to B to Z nicely. Unlike modern cartoons that have small amounts of exposition followed by 15 minutes of fighting, DOTE (rather like most 'toons of the day) told a story.

Characters were interesting & charismatic, and while the animation had a lot of problems (similar to contemporary Joe and TF), it was consistant, colourful, and people looked like... people, not super-deformed grotesques with absurd chins.

I know the "rose tinted spectacle" argument gets tossed around a lot, but I honestly look at these shows and consider them better in just about every way to what kids are showered with now.

Very cool cartoon....I'd love to see this revamped in another toon or a comic book or something.

But you just know an updated series would remove everything we liked.

PitViper
09-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Well said man. I'm on like episode 4 or 5 right now and I'm just beyond impressed with the continuity and character development with these guys.

I think it was the 1st or 2nd episode where you find out Flash Gordon's whole reason bring down Ming is because.......Ming killed Gordons wife! What??? That is pretty damn deep for an 80's cartoon that is 2nd tier at best.

Or how about how the Phantom's brother Curt is a douchebag?...That entire episode when they show how they were in competition to be the next Phantom from their father was incredible......again some deep stuff there for an 80's cartoon.

Sure there is caddy and corny comic relief with some of kids in the Defenders and yes there are absolutely some animation flaws but I think for the time they're ok. I get passed them the same way I get passed the special effects in a Universal Horror movie.....hey it's 70 someodd years old.

As far as a new cartoon, if I knew it was going to end up like say the Avengers or something I might like to see it. Then again I was all for the new Voltron cartoon and after 4 episodes I jumped ship so you might be right.

I'm just happy I threw this in the PS3 and it has yet to dissapoint. It's simply an awesome cartoon!

PitViper
09-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Also I know I showed this in another thread but I thought if anyone missed it, this would be a good thread for it.

How cool is it that I scored this at my local comic book shop? Hunting for the rest is gonna be a bitch!!!

Iok
09-03-2011, 04:31 PM
When it aired in the UK everybody thought it was funny that they kept using the initials DOE, as that's usually used by the government body Department Of the Environment in Britain...

I wasn't into it that much myself but I did love the Phantom 2040 series.

(Apologies for the crappy sound but it's the only version I could find)

Phantom 2040 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md0i8B_aPqk)

PitViper
09-04-2011, 01:42 AM
I had no idea about that 2040 stuff. Thanks for sharing!

On another note, now that I'm totally obessessed with DOE. Did you guys know Stan Lee wrote the lyrics for the song??

Lt. Faceless
09-04-2011, 02:48 AM
Phatom was alwasy my fave. Those are such old characters,isn't Phatom almost as old as superman or the xmen?

I dare you to say Flash and not say the rest of the sentence.I need to pick that movie up,i haven't seen that in a long time.I was a confused kid when i found out the Hawkmen from Flash Gordon weren't the same from DC.

How much was the set?

JokerFC
09-04-2011, 01:06 PM
yup I have Defenders on DVD too and love it.

also have all the figures,Flash ship and Phantoms Skull Copter on display.Mandrake and Phantom were my faves.

PitViper
09-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Phatom was alwasy my fave. Those are such old characters,isn't Phatom almost as old as superman or the xmen?

I dare you to say Flash and not say the rest of the sentence.I need to pick that movie up,i haven't seen that in a long time.I was a confused kid when i found out the Hawkmen from Flash Gordon weren't the same from DC.

How much was the set?

Oh man, I can't deal with that movie...but it def has a pretty solid fanbase!

Anyway you can get that set cheap as hell, it's really a no frills thing. Big plastic box with 5 or 6, 2 sided discs in paper envelopes.

I know they have it in seperate discs but I got the entire set on amazon for like 9 bucks or something..brand new. Can't beat that!

Iok
09-06-2011, 11:11 AM
I had no idea about that 2040 stuff. Thanks for sharing!

On another note, now that I'm totally obessessed with DOE. Did you guys know Stan Lee wrote the lyrics for the song??

Phantom 2040 was superb. Story arcs, proper character development and a great visual style all made it a near-perfect cartoon. Along with Gargoyles it's probably one of the best action cartoons ever made.

And I didn't know that about Stan lee writing the lyrics! That's great!

Iok
09-06-2011, 11:13 AM

Yeah, The Phantom predates Superman by a couple of years and the X-Men didn't appear until the 60s.

PitViper
09-11-2011, 01:13 AM
Yeah I don't know about Mandrake or Lothar but Phantom and Flash go waaaaaaaaaay back.

I mean Flash Gordon was comic strips and serial movies from the 1940's!

I know there is a Phantom comic out now I've yet to check out, I would love to see a limited DOE run comic book......it would be great to see these guys side by side again. I think a good artist could have a field day with this verse.