PDA

View Full Version : More repack nonsense

nacho
07-26-2008, 06:50 PM
I went hunting today, and it was stunning to learn that some people have no soul. I'd read about all the repacks and return nonsense that goes on in other places, but I'd never seen it before... until today.

At WM, there was only one vehicle pack, a RAM/TrubbleBubble pack, in which the televiper was missing and breaker was just rolling around. Then at Target, there was only one vehicle, a vamp where someone had returned it after replacing clutch with a Steel Brigade Red-Zone figure. Then I went to another target that had two vehicles, but the televiper had been replaced with a DTC Scrap Iron. Finally, I found a vamp there with clutch, and I was stunned to find something that was unmolested. I was so happy that I became skeptical and wondered what was wrong with the item. After taking a closer look, I realized that someone had replaced the vamp with an '82 vamp and returned it.

Seriously, is this the work of one jerk in every town, or has society just gone to hell such that outright stealing of toys is common and acceptable? Really, some people have no soul. I buy lots online just for this reason, but it's sad that people stoop so low. I thought it was only in other places, but I guess the jerks have migrated here too.

Jism83
07-26-2008, 06:57 PM
i still havent seen this done. I waiting to see something like this with some OG that i want haha

Crimson Rage
07-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Someone gave up an original VAMP for the new one?
Unless the original was totally delapidated and worthless, that's the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

Monkeywrench
07-26-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm not surprised at all. I assumed that the tele-vipers would be treated like this. The 82 vamp does surprise me.

nacho
07-26-2008, 07:02 PM
I was surprised as well, and I considered buying it, but I figured I'd get it home only to learn that it didn't roll or the gun turret was all floppy or something like that. People are crazy!

Flame Viper
07-26-2008, 07:02 PM
I understand completely. I live in small town Kansas. Never in my wildest dreams did I think things would ever get this bad. People come to the Alco we have here do crazy things like that. 30 miles away at the closest Wal-mart it is even worse.

People are just different now, like its all ME ME ME in the world.

I just don't remember the meanness like this growing up.

I guess this is just a sign of the times.

nacho
07-26-2008, 07:09 PM
The worst I ever saw as a kid was people hiding things. I thought that was bad for the store and kinda mean to other shoppers, but it wasn't outright theft. This is toys for pete's sake. Who steals toys?! I don't think younger kids would ever think to do this, and it's unlikely a kid would have an '82 vamp to swap out! It's some collector with no scruples. Seriously, if someone has to resort to stealing, maybe they should just find a cheaper hobby... I hear rock collecting is rewarding, ha ha!

Crimson Rage
07-26-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm sure the person responsible would insist they "weren't hurting anyone". It's the same sort of deluded arrogance that any criminal would use.
I'd like to see their faces if their homes were burgled.

The L.O.C.
07-26-2008, 08:04 PM
When the Target exclusices were out, I almost bought an original A.W.E because some jerk re-packaged it.

Apeiron
07-26-2008, 08:07 PM
I think it's pathetic that a grown adult will do that just over a toy. Unfortunately I've seen it, thankfully only once, when I went to TRU last weekend and someone had switched Steeler with a 25th Duke in the Armadillo vs Serpentor's Chariot pack. If I didn't notice it I probably would have ended up buying it.
Stuff like that makes me want to work in returns at a store where someone does that so I can catch them in the act. Even if the store does nothing it'd be fun to at least delay or frustrate the jerk.

Syn3sthesia
07-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Damn, sounds like you got a serial re-packer in your area.

dmizrok
07-27-2008, 12:32 AM
as reported in another thread (Illegal Customizers) its no doubt the same dude screwin with the new comic packs in the GLENMONT NY area...both Kmart and Walmarts both got hit...ALOT.

Amberbratt
07-27-2008, 12:42 AM
I went hunting today, and it was stunning to learn that some people have no soul. I'd read about all the repacks and return nonsense that goes on in other places, but I'd never seen it before... until today.

At WM, there was only one vehicle pack, a RAM/TrubbleBubble pack, in which the televiper was missing and breaker was just rolling around. Then at Target, there was only one vehicle, a vamp where someone had returned it after replacing clutch with a Steel Brigade Red-Zone figure. Then I went to another target that had two vehicles, but the televiper had been replaced with a DTC Scrap Iron. Finally, I found a vamp there with clutch, and I was stunned to find something that was unmolested. I was so happy that I became skeptical and wondered what was wrong with the item. After taking a closer look, I realized that someone had replaced the vamp with an '82 vamp and returned it.

Seriously, is this the work of one jerk in every town, or has society just gone to hell such that outright stealing of toys is common and acceptable? Really, some people have no soul. I buy lots online just for this reason, but it's sad that people stoop so low. I thought it was only in other places, but I guess the jerks have migrated here too.

LOL this is what happens when u charge 8$ a figure.. :P

Bionic Commando
07-27-2008, 01:05 AM
I've seen this happen with the Premium line of Movie Transformers being returned with the regular versions in the package on the shelf kinda sucks this mentality made its way to the Joes just as bad when people were stealing the Doc stickers from the first waves of comic packs.I was sooo pissed when I got excited to find an Ace/Wild Weasel way back then only to find the file cards and Doc sticker missing

mfjlf2
07-27-2008, 01:06 AM
I don't mean to condone those who do this, they are in the wrong. However, I do think Hasbro is part of this problem too. If they wouldn't make it so hard to get figures that people want, without buying things they don't want, we wouldn't see this happening so much.

nacho
07-27-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm not sure that distribution is the main problem. I think high prices and a false sense of entitlement are as much to blame as lack of product.

If they had a full shelf of VAMPs, I don't think that would have mattered to the guy that switched it with the '82 version. I think he just didn't want to pay for a new one, and he felt he was justified in trading his 25 year old toy for the new one at the expense of the store or the unsuspecting buyer that gets stuck with his junk. He's probably proud of himself for having "stuck it to the man". I think it's just sad and pathetic.

It mostly irks me that someone will buy those toys and be disappointed when they get home and realize they've been had.

Amberbratt
07-27-2008, 01:46 AM
I don't mean to condone those who do this, they are in the wrong. However, I do think Hasbro is part of this problem too. If they wouldn't make it so hard to get figures that people want, without buying things they don't want, we wouldn't see this happening so much.

thank U! exactly!

Captain Hydra
07-27-2008, 01:48 AM
BS...Assholes are Assholes regardless of what Hasbro does. That's like saying a convenience store deserves to be robbed because they have money in there. These pricks choose to collect, they just decided to steal them rather than buy. I pray to God that one of them gets busted and is made an example of. This is retail theft, plain and simple. Hey you elaborate shoplifting dickheads, why don't you just grow some balls, stuff the whole toy isle in your pants and simply walk out? That would save you a lot of work, and you can keep the crappy figures you would have replaced them with. If you are going to be a criminal, you might as well do it right. Hell, why not just hijack the Hasbro delivery truck while your at it.

Amberbratt
07-27-2008, 01:54 AM
BS...Assholes are Assholes regardless of what Hasbro does. That's like saying a convenience store deserves to be robbed because they have money in there. These pricks choose to collect, they just decided to steal them rather than buy. I pray to God that one of them gets busted and is made an example of. This is retail theft, plain and simple. Hey you elaborate shoplifting dickheads, why don't you just grow some balls, stuff the whole toy isle in your pants and simply walk out? That would save you a lot of work, and you can keep the crappy figures you would have replaced them with. If you are going to be a criminal, you might as well do it right. Hell, why not just hijack the Hasbro delivery truck while your at it.

tee hee..........

Colt Blue
07-27-2008, 02:20 AM
I for one have not seen this for myself fortunately, it is such a despicable practice to go that low as to rip off a kid's type toy. What I don't understand is how these jerks are getting away with it. I would think there would be a notice sent to the returns department to look out for just this sort of thing. Perhaps the retailers though are simply unaware and don't take the proper time or use safeguards against such blatant thefts.

MLos1
07-27-2008, 02:26 AM
Sounds like the odds of all this happening in one day are astronomical.

An 82' vamp in the box? With a turret? It's dumb not to buy it even if it was beat up when you opened it.

Turret's on 82' Vamps were usually always floppy, at least floppier than the new one. And the barrels also moved in and out.

Does anyone else find this story "odd?"

All in one day?

To one person?

In one town?

And discovering an 82' vamp in a box?

Weird.

RUNAMUCK
07-27-2008, 03:25 AM
That and the cost will always drive such desperate measures. You can say what ya want, but I don’t see these actions ending anytime soon as long as the price and the way the figs are being sold remain the same or worsen. Why not sell these vehicles the way they used to be individually with a driver. For example why not sell the cobra flight pod with driver for 7.99 rather then force someone to be stuck with an extra Ram cycle they don't want and for more money then they want to pay. That goes for the comic two packs too. I don't remember comic two packs back in the eighties. People are already asking for a single pack Tripwire. Maybe cause Hasbro and the retail stores would realize that 6.99 a single figure is way too much to ask us to pay and it should be half the price of the comic two pack which is 4.99. Hell if you broke it down and divide 14.99 into two that’s 7.50 for a vehicle and a figure. All that extra glorious plastic for a dollar more, cause we already pay 6.99 for just a single figure. How they figure their profits by giving us more then double the plastic for a dollar more we may never know.......Oh S*%t I said too much hope Hasbro or Target don't send someone to my house at 3 in the morning......COBRA!

Sergeant Slaughter
07-27-2008, 04:50 AM

An 82' vamp in the box? With a turret? It's dumb not to buy it even if it was beat up when you opened it.

Turret's on 82' Vamps were usually always floppy, at least floppier than the new one. And the barrels also moved in and out.

All in one day?

To one person?

In one town?

Weird.

It's called making stuff up. Just look around, tons of it on this site.

Jism83
07-27-2008, 04:51 AM

sceptic, the truth is out there

Sergeant Slaughter
07-27-2008, 05:08 AM
I believe there are people repacking stuff. However I also believe there are people so sad and desperate for attention and/or conversation that they make up elaborate stories on forums just to get some bizarre acceptance or fame or whatever it is that makes people come up with some of the out and out nonsense I read on here.

There are some incredible stories out there, but there's also a lot of BS. Which is almost more unbelievable that people would lie about such things, but that's the actual truth. Which is more scary than people repacking gold for nickels.

Crimson Rage
07-27-2008, 05:22 AM

I don't think that's a factor in 're-packing', as the perps have found the figures/vehicles in the first place.

nacho
07-27-2008, 11:07 AM

All in one day?

To one person?

In one town?

Weird.

Man, that's uncalled for. I'm not making a word of that up.
The '82 vamp is 100% crazy but true. I was stunned myself as I almost didn't notice until I realized the wheels had the smaller tread, then I checked the turret, and sure enough, classic version. The only reason I posted it was because I'd always heard about repacks but never experienced them myself. Then boom, my stores are suddenly repack-central. I was really disappointed and wanted to share. No need to claim I'm making this stuff up. That's untrue and extremely uncool.

Echo7Solo
07-27-2008, 11:29 AM
The '82 vamp is 100% crazy but true. I was stunned myself as I almost didn't notice until I realized the wheels had the smaller tread, then I checked the turret, and sure enough, classic version. The only reason I posted it was because I'd always heard about repacks but never experienced them myself. Then boom, my stores are suddenly repack-central. I was really disappointed and wanted to share. No need to claim I'm making this stuff up. That's untrue and extremely uncool.

I agree. It is uncool and uncalled for. NO MORE BASHING! But I will ask this nacho, why didn't you get it? Or even take a pic. Man I would have been all over that.

sgtapon
07-27-2008, 11:29 AM
i haven't seen any re-packs as of yet but i have seen things missing from the package. when i discovered the 25 anniversary line i immediately was out i was searching for flint and firefly. i found their cards at kmart on the bottom shelf but the bubble and figure and weapons were gone. if i found an 82 vamp though. i seriously think i would have to buy it just for the fact of um....its and 82 vamp!!

nacho
07-27-2008, 11:36 AM
I agree. It is uncool and uncalled for. NO MORE BASHING! But I will ask this nacho, why didn't you get it? Or even take a pic. Man I would have been all over that.

Well, I considered it, but I'm a collector from back in the day and I have several original vamps already. I'm tryng to be judicious with my toy spending these days and didn't think it would make sense to spend $20 on a toy I already have many of... But don't think I wasn't tempted! I do wish I'd taken a picture with my phone, but it didn't occur to me at the time. It was only later that I decided how wild that really was and decided to share.

crazyfellow1
07-27-2008, 11:40 AM

I believe you nacho, wouldn't surprise me if people doing this kind of stuff weren't very bright. maybe they didn't have the means to sell it, like no computer or no one to sell it to and they would rather have the new vamp or something

Echo7Solo
07-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Well, I considered it, but I'm a collector from back in the day and I have several original vamps already. I'm tryng to be judicious with my toy spending these days and didn't think it would make sense to spend $20 on a toy I already have many of... But don't think I wasn't tempted! I do wish I'd taken a picture with my phone, but it didn't occur to me at the time. It was only later that I decided how wild that really was and decided to share.

do us all a big favor. Go back and take a pic. This is a must see!

bradforj
07-27-2008, 11:46 AM
I totally believe it. My WM is full of these repacks. There is an Animated DVD pack Megatron in the $20 Megatron pack. Then there is a $20 Megatron in the $40 Megatron pack, almost as if the guy worked his way up over several returns! There are tons of single cards that have different figures in them, all the wrong figure (mostly Viper cards with various comic pack figures in them). All of the Indiana Jones 12" have been opened and had the Ark redemption stickers taken out, although those might be outright shoplifting. They have a Movie Masters Batman resealed with a cheaper Batman inside.

The sad part is that I mentioned these issues to the toy manager and she said until this stuff sells, she cannot order new product. This junk will never sell!

fett413
07-27-2008, 11:48 AM
I've seen this for years with Star Wars exclusive vehicles. I can't believe somoeone would do this bullshit. I've never collected the large Star Wars vehicles (except the new Falcon....drool). So, I've missed out on quite a few exclusive figures over the years. However, I've always been able to buy them on eBay or trade for them with fellow collectors. Thing is, there are a lot of collectors who buy multiple vehicles and don't need 5 Clutch's. Oh well, some people are just natural thieves.

darthdoug
07-27-2008, 11:52 AM
I believe there are people repacking stuff. However I also believe there are people so sad and desperate for attention and/or conversation that they make up elaborate stories on forums just to get some bizarre acceptance or fame or whatever it is that makes people come up with some of the out and out nonsense I read on here.

There are some incredible stories out there, but there's also a lot of BS. Which is almost more unbelievable that people would lie about such things, but that's the actual truth. Which is more scary than people repacking gold for nickels.

I find it odd that people think this is so rare? I have seen this in the stores plenty of times. I agree with another member who said it is how HASBRO is packaging. (Like we all can't wait for the recarded Tele-Vipers?) It started with the Star Wars battle packs. How many times did we see red or grey clone troopers replaced with common white ones in those packages? I saw it in the SW Commic Packs. Someone took about 3 of those that had the Tie Pilot w/removeable helmet and replaced them with Mace Windu's. That was bad. Then last week I saw K-Mart had an evolutions Queen Amidala 3-pk. They replaced them with a Padme Amidala and 2 Princess Leah figures (including the very rare "Monkey Face Leah").

Just because I don't have a picture of them doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It seems to be happening more frequently. Some of us on this web page may even be doing it. I too would love to get a job at the returns counter. I'd shock the crap out of that person. I'd get a pic then and put them on the web!!!

Just imagine that grandmother who buys the GI JOE trouble-bubble 2pk that little JOEY put on his Christmas list. It's Christmas Morning... little JOEY opens this gift... his Christmas is ruined. All thanks to someone who stole the figures from the pack and returned it with a DUKE and a COBRA OFFICER. Don't ruin Christmas for Little Joey!!! YO JOE!!! (This has been a public service announcement)

darthdoug
07-27-2008, 11:57 AM
I've seen this for years with Star Wars exclusive vehicles. I can't believe somoeone would do this bullshit. I've never collected the large Star Wars vehicles (except the new Falcon....drool). So, I've missed out on quite a few exclusive figures over the years. However, I've always been able to buy them on eBay or trade for them with fellow collectors. Thing is, there are a lot of collectors who buy multiple vehicles and don't need 5 Clutch's. Oh well, some people are just natural thieves.

Oh... I LOVE that new FALCON (And the AT-TE). THANK YOU HASBRO!!!! (Now make us a full-scale Death Star and I'll be happy!!!)

crazyfellow1
07-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Now make us a full-scale Death Star and I'll be happy!!!

(drool)

genoneguy
07-27-2008, 07:47 PM
I saw one where someone replaced the Vamp with a live kitten. It was sitting right there on the shelf!!!

MLos1
07-28-2008, 06:10 AM

I see it all the time too. But this had me laughing. So, I had to comment, i usually do with all the seemingly "bullshit" stories i come across on here.

MLos1
07-28-2008, 06:31 AM

I'm entitled to my opinion. And I feel this story to be very odd and super far fetched. What I said previously is definitely not bashing.

Because I merely disagree with this fantastical plot doesn't mean he's getting bashed.

In my experience....

I've worked at K.B toys all through college, the actual mall store and the warehouse.

And I worked at Target while I was finishing up college, warehouse as well...

Never, would I think this story to be 100% true. Based on my experience as a guy who used to work in and around the prime areas for this to happen to many a toy line, and in my experience as a collector.

What I do believe though, as stated above is this: I do believe in the posting of fantastical stories as some sort of bizarre way to get attention. Maybe it's loneliness, maybe it's to stir the pot a little bit, maybe it's because you can make these kind of things heard on a forum by remaining faceless. Maybe it's to generate more posts from guys like me to keep the thread alive. Maybe it's all of the above. Who knows?

What I do know though is, I def would have taken a picture, or in this case, many pictures, and I would have thought of it then-and-there, and not after the fact, and I would have proof, because I would know going into a forum such as this one, where people analyze all the minute details of the figures themselves, carries over to the analysis of these posts too. I'd be put under the microscope if I had this type of story to tell. But I'd be ready to base it with some factual evidence, BECAUSE it was so extremely bizarre.

And he states he'd been collecting his whole life. Well so have I, and I've run across re-packed junk and whatnot, but as a veteran collector, I'd have the sense to make sure I documented this odyssey, because it's just too weird, even if I had to come back to the stores and snap some shots upon returning. That's just what vet collector's do when they run across this kinda thing.

Nemesis_Enforcer
07-28-2008, 07:55 AM
I was at WM once and I saw a Transformers Alternators repacked with one of those crappy .50 beach toy trucks. I can't remember which Transformer it was supposed to be. I do remember seeing the name and picking it up real quick because I needed it, then I noticed what was inside; had a quick laugh, and put it back on the shelf.

ThreeHGame
07-28-2008, 11:00 AM
I don't know why you guys are drooling over the 82 VAMP and having it in the story makes the story sound so unbelievable. Iíve seen then sell on eBay for as little as $10 to $20 mostly complete (90 t0 99% complete).

fireflyguy
07-28-2008, 11:20 AM
I haven't really encountered this problem, but then again, things don't really sell fast where I'm at, so I'm assuming that I am one of a few collectors in the area, and the rest of the sales are accounted for by kids who go home and actually play with the toys.

scifinut999
07-28-2008, 07:13 PM
i have not seen this with g.i joe but have seen it with star wars figures where weapons would just be taken out of the pacages and the coins romoved from the 30th annaversery line

ThreeHGame
07-28-2008, 07:17 PM
It happens ALOT with wrestling figures too. I always double check the classic superstars figures before I buy them, in fact I think my LJN Undertaker had been opened and displayed then resealed and returned because when I opened it, he was coverd in dust and had paint touch ups.

ogre_h
07-28-2008, 07:34 PM
I've seen repacks, mostly at Walmart. TRU its usually outright theft. They just rip the figs out of the bubbles and leave the packing. Of course the TRU is in an urban area and the Wallyworld is in a suburb.
Its easy to spot with the single cards, but you have to be very vigilant with the comic packs and vehicles.

nacho
07-28-2008, 08:43 PM
I see it all the time too. But this had me laughing. So, I had to comment, i usually do with all the seemingly "bullshit" stories i come across on here.

Well just so you know, I went back to that Target on Sunday (it was just down the street from my family reunion), and the '82 VAMP was still there (apparently, someone actually bought the Scrap Iron as Televiper repack). I took two pictures with my phone. Unfortunately, I have a verizon phone and live in the boonies, thus I can't get them out of the phone by emailing it to myself. Apparently I have to hack the phone to get motorola phone tools to full functionality so I can transfer the pics to my PC. Check back soon and be prepared to apologize ;)

nacho
07-28-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm entitled to my opinion. And I feel this story to be very odd and super far fetched. What I said previously is definitely not bashing.

Because I merely disagree with this fantastical plot doesn't mean he's getting bashed.

In my experience....

I've worked at K.B toys all through college, the actual mall store and the warehouse.

And I worked at Target while I was finishing up college, warehouse as well...

Never, would I think this story to be 100% true. Based on my experience as a guy who used to work in and around the prime areas for this to happen to many a toy line, and in my experience as a collector.

What I do believe though, as stated above is this: I do believe in the posting of fantastical stories as some sort of bizarre way to get attention. Maybe it's loneliness, maybe it's to stir the pot a little bit, maybe it's because you can make these kind of things heard on a forum by remaining faceless. Maybe it's to generate more posts from guys like me to keep the thread alive. Maybe it's all of the above. Who knows?

What I do know though is, I def would have taken a picture, or in this case, many pictures, and I would have thought of it then-and-there, and not after the fact, and I would have proof, because I would know going into a forum such as this one, where people analyze all the minute details of the figures themselves, carries over to the analysis of these posts too. I'd be put under the microscope if I had this type of story to tell. But I'd be ready to base it with some factual evidence, BECAUSE it was so extremely bizarre.

And he states he'd been collecting his whole life. Well so have I, and I've run across re-packed junk and whatnot, but as a veteran collector, I'd have the sense to make sure I documented this odyssey, because it's just too weird, even if I had to come back to the stores and snap some shots upon returning. That's just what vet collector's do when they run across this kinda thing.

Yeah, I don't take pics with my phone because I can't get them out, so it didn't really occur to me. Plus, it wasn't until I got home that I even decided to share with the 'Tank.

And, I clearly stated that I have not seen this to be a problem in my area before. I've seen stolen figs, and I've seen stuff that looked opened, but it was a toy line that I don't collect, so I wouldn't know if it was a repack or not. Just because it's extremely odd doesn't make it false. I have better things to do than make up crap for attention. Jeez, dude, you crucify a guy for sharing the 100% truth. Really nice.

nacho
07-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Just for all the skeptics out there, I hacked my crappy verizon-multimedia-crippled RAZR to get the pics out.

I accept sincere apologies from each of you doubters in advance.
(I'm looking at you MLos1 and Sgt Slaughter) :)

http://www.pickelpartners.com/image_host/binding/072708_14421.jpg
http://www.pickelpartners.com/image_host/binding/072708_14431.jpg

Snake Eyes-Joe Ninja
07-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Dude, I believed you from the start. I've seen it done. Hell, in a weird way, I've done it... Long story, and I totally had justification, as far as I'm concerned. In fact, off to post it in a different thread... Yay for boredom!

wei yau
07-29-2008, 12:18 AM
That is some weird stuff. Can't believe some people who go through the effort to save a coupla bucks? If the price is seen as too high to pay, then don't buy it. No one, not any of us, NEEDS these GI Joe toys.

I'm glad that nacho was able to furnish pics of this bizarreness. But, I tell ya, much worse than the idea that some people might make up stories on the Internet, is the idea from a few posters here that repacking is justifiable.

It's theft, plain and simple. And not even stealing a loaf of bread to feed your family. It's stealing a bit of plastic to save a couple of bucks.

Twin Sunset
07-29-2008, 12:30 AM
i honestly believe this is a problem that is not going to be fixed anytime soon. as stated before, issued notices from hasbro would help... but you can't get every high school kid working a wally world to care about returned toys. and even if they put out notices, unless there are collectors taking returns, they'll just see a figure in an unopened (resealed) package and give the cash back. business as usual.

i went to a local target and saw the vamp i need with the TRU officers pack duke. it sucks, but i can't expect the 50-something lady in returns to know the difference between duke and clutch.

some of you are blaming prices/distribution but i'm throwing my ire on store policies and employee ignorance. policies because even if some collector noticed a repacked return, they can't prove the guy returning it did it. as long as there's the plausible "manufacture mistake, i bought it like this!" stores can't really do anything, unless you have a manager who doesn't mind a scene over $10-$15... but most managers i've ment would just try to please a customer to the best of his ability.

bottom line for me is hunt for single carded figs, order anything that can be tampered with.

slink831
07-29-2008, 12:48 AM
The worst I ever saw as a kid was people hiding things. I thought that was bad for the store and kinda mean to other shoppers, but it wasn't outright theft. This is toys for pete's sake. Who steals toys?! I don't think younger kids would ever think to do this, and it's unlikely a kid would have an '82 vamp to swap out! It's some collector with no scruples. Seriously, if someone has to resort to stealing, maybe they should just find a cheaper hobby... I hear rock collecting is rewarding, ha ha!
Hey i've got something to say. I am new to Hisstank and this post caught my eye and I just had to say something. Recently while out shopping with my son, we went to the toy aisle to hopefully find some new single pack joes. Of course all I found where a shelf full of comic packs. After looking through them to see if by magic there might be something new in there, I was disgusted at what i found. Some piece of crap, lowlife, S.O.B. has taken a knife or boxcutter and sliced down the side of every comic pack to take out the DOC stickers. Now you talk about not having any soul. I have seen this done at several local walmarts and targets. This is not the workings of a true Joe collector but that of a selfless ebay hoard trying to make a quick buck. I am the only one to see this going on or is this happening everywhere?? Sorry but I just had to vent.

nacho
07-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Yes this has been a problem since the comic packs came out. Many others have lamented the same thing you describe. It's pretty sad that some people stoop that low.

BTW, welcome to the 'Tank!

Grippen
07-29-2008, 08:41 AM
The 25th line brought out some bad piece of *hit persons. Because of the success the line has and also because now we live in a world of internet scalpers and criminals found a new way to make business. Let's face it if it was 10 or 15 years ago even with some success they wouldn't do it either because ebay wasn't popular or people didn't had internet or simply were to skeptical about buying things in the net. The world changed and they saw an opportunity here. Sometimes I even think they are well organized. The clean up the shelves in a second leaving some people no other chance other then buying them on ebay. Online stores are a possibility but they don't stock as a retail store do and sometimes take a bit more time to receive the items. Now this new sort of deal, either to collect or increase the profit gain on ebay is just incredible. Here in Portugal I think they would think twice because you cannot return a toy item. They issue you a credit for you to use it as you want. Of course you could always do something like bringing one taking what you wanted return it and bring the other more or less for free but that would never be as profitable as this.

RAR
07-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Not sure a whole lot more can be said. I have seen the re-pack thing one time. It was this past weekend. Someone took the Hiss Driver and PP Officer packages and put RAH figures in them. At first glance, I really thought Hasbro had flubbed up. (If I sold on e-bay I would probably have grabbed them up to make $50). But they were resealed, complete with white paper showing with the slightest movement of the bubble.

The only remotely justifiable reason I can think of is that it keeps the pegs/space open for the product if no one buys the re-pack. The store employee will see one left and order more instead of filling in the spot with Corps figures. Even as I write this I realize that this is not even justifiable.

I am with all of you who know it is frustrating to walk down the aisle, see the card or the box for Joes, have your heart leap in your chest, and then realize what you are looking at is the product of some thieving scumball.

My real problem is that this behavior justifies the view some employees have of we collectors/enthusiasts.

slink831
07-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks nacho, its nice to find a place like hisstank where you can find people that share the same love of collecting. I tried to start collecting hot wheels for my son a while back but had a bad experience even with that. I was at a Walmart one day looking at an entire endcap full of hot wheels, as well as in the aisle. As I was looking through the endcap, I felt someone walk up on my right, so i moved to my left, allowing this person to look as well. Now this person is on my left, so i move back to the right. So i stood up and looked at this mid forties 5ft 3in little man starring at me and he says "are you going to hog them all"! I said "you can look here i'll look in the aisle. As I begin to look at the ones in the aisle, I feel this guy starring a hole in me. He then replies " YOUR ABOUT A RUDE PRICK"!!! I'm looking at this man wondering what I did to piss him off. All of the sudden a friend of mine just so happens to be in the store at this time, comes walking around the corner, looks at this little fella and relizes he is talking to me. This guy then SCREAMS, HE'S HOGGING ALL THE HOT WHEELS! Me and my friend look at each other with shock. As this guy is walking away, he lets out another loud scream, I'LL BE WAITING FOR YOU IN THE PARKING LOT BUDDY!!! So this little hot wheels incident put a bad taste in my mouth with hot wheels collecting. So now me and my son are sticking to real toys, Gi JOE!!!!

bradforj
07-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks nacho, its nice to find a place like hisstank where you can find people that share the same love of collecting. I tried to start collecting hot wheels for my son a while back but had a bad experience even with that. I was at a Walmart one day looking at an entire endcap full of hot wheels, as well as in the aisle. As I was looking through the endcap, I felt someone walk up on my right, so i moved to my left, allowing this person to look as well. Now this person is on my left, so i move back to the right. So i stood up and looked at this mid forties 5ft 3in little man starring at me and he says "are you going to hog them all"! I said "you can look here i'll look in the aisle. As I begin to look at the ones in the aisle, I feel this guy starring a hole in me. He then replies " YOUR ABOUT A RUDE PRICK"!!! I'm looking at this man wondering what I did to piss him off. All of the sudden a friend of mine just so happens to be in the store at this time, comes walking around the corner, looks at this little fella and relizes he is talking to me. This guy then SCREAMS, HE'S HOGGING ALL THE HOT WHEELS! Me and my friend look at each other with shock. As this guy is walking away, he lets out another loud scream, I'LL BE WAITING FOR YOU IN THE PARKING LOT BUDDY!!! So this little hot wheels incident put a bad taste in my mouth with hot wheels collecting. So now me and my son are sticking to real toys, Gi JOE!!!!

I had a similar incident several years ago (2001, I think) when the He-Man reissues came out. I was looking through a box of them that had just come onto the floor at Wal-Mart when a guy walks up and attempts to take a figure out of the box. I told him I had located it and he could have what was left when I was finished. He got huffy and said, "Why I oughta to kick your ass." I then politely informed him that I carry a knife at all times and would be happy to carve him a new smile. The guy walked away, apparently not accustomed to coming face to face with another bull.

Force must be met with force. It is the only thing that some people understand. Sad but true.

nacho
07-29-2008, 01:51 PM

I don't exactly collect Hot Wheels for my little one, merely pick up ones I stumble upon that look cool. I have no clue what's new and/or valuable. However, I was looking at the HW endcap the other day at walmart, and an older lady that apparently runs the toy dept gave me full rundown on exactly what she had put out and what day and time she was going to put out more, etc. I was kinda laughing because I didn't care as I don't really collect them, but she thought I was a collector and was being nice and trying to give me the scoop. If only she'd known when the Joes would arrive.

(and no, MLos1, I don't have photos, video, or signed affadavits from WM employees, but that's a totally true story too) ;)

Echo7Solo
07-29-2008, 01:53 PM
that 82 Vamp is is pretty good shape.

nacho
07-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I forgot to look, but from the pics, it's hard to tell if the dash is still in it. I know the gas cans were missing.

Captain Hydra
07-29-2008, 10:10 PM
You know what's worse than people who make up crazy stories on the internet for attention? The people who want the attention of being the first to call them a lier. Especially when they prove their story was true and you look like fool. Here's a concept, if you don't believe what someone posts...don't reply.

Zefram
07-29-2008, 10:46 PM
At my local Walmart in Audoban the Storm Shadow/Firefly pack was cut open. The only thing stolen? Firefly's pliers and plastic explosives from out his backpack.

Mind you, not the figure, or even the backpack, just one or two of the things in it.

Seriously? You wanted 1/18 scale pliers that bad?

nacho
07-29-2008, 10:55 PM
And sadly, I totally believe you :) WTF are people thinking?

If only that person had been caught and convicted of shoplifting 1/18th pliers...

spacemonkeymafia
07-29-2008, 11:02 PM
but the televiper had been replaced with a DTC Scrap Iron.

Where you from because I saw these very same thing in a Target near me.........

nacho
07-29-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm in Kingston. Turkey Creek seems to be repack central these days... does your g/f still work at TC-WM?

Another witness to the rest of my story. Where are the nay-sayers now?!

yo-man2
07-30-2008, 12:52 PM
I have seen alot of repacking lately with the walmart buld a droid guys for star wars. They take out the droid part and the exclusive R2 units and replace them with the common junk figure from one of the other 2 packs.

I have never seen vintage figs repacked but I have seen what I percieve as better figs repacked. When the first round of comics pack came out during the VV years, someone swapped out the comic pack color cobras for TRU infantry division troopers, I found 3 of these at wally world and bought everyone of them. I showed them to the manager, who listed them as tampered goods and gave me 10% off.