PDA

View Full Version : Lines/Colors/3D Gi joe bedroom

ChucklesCID
07-28-2011, 10:13 AM
The best part about the release of all the 25th and now 30th Anniversary GI JOE figures is getting to re-live my childhood with my two boys. This a a custom GI JOE bedroom I made for them. My brother and I designed it after the interior of the GI JOE Headquarters from the 80's cartoon. I still need to add more characters on the wall but the boys sure love it.
It's kind of hard to tell, but it is a bunk-bed and the bottom bunk has a recessed computer in the wall that is only loaded with GI JOE cartoons. The GI JOE logo sign on the wall, I carved from foam and then hard coated and painted. The characters, (Blowtorch and Snake Eyes) were hand drawn and painted with acrylic paint. More figures to come.

Number one question: Is this your MANCAVE? No......be sure and check out the pics of my actual MANCAVE on page 4 of this forum. Thanks again for all the great comments! Your humble servant - ChucklesCID

KushViper
07-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Lucky kids! Very cool.

Mermaniel
07-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Holy shit dude!!! thats insanely awesome! Wish I had a room like that when I was a kid!

TK1945
07-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Don't lie. We know this is where you sleep. JK :D

Tuga Viper
07-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Very cool! Great job.

EM

Nictus
07-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Holy shit dude!!! thats insanely awesome! Wish I had a room like that when I was a kid!

you're such a liar you wish you had a room like that now.

oh and i don't see any kids in the photos so i must assume that you've got imaginary children that you use as a cover story when you're buying at various retailers...it's cool, we all know that this is your room :) we're all jealous too.

however if this is actually for your boys...you and i both know that you spend as much time in there as they do...only you call it "working" however you need to justify it is completely fine and understandable.

all in all...this is awesome, and if that was my room when i was a child, two things would be certain

1) none of my friends would be allowed to cross the threshold without the proper clearance

2) i would have little or no need to collect gi joe as an adult.

well done sir...you've just been nominated for "father of the week"

Reznov
07-28-2011, 10:36 AM
you're such a liar you wish you had a room like that now.

oh and i don't see any kids in the photos so i must assume that you've got imaginary children that you use as a cover story when you're buying at various retailers...it's cool, we all know that this is your room :) we're all jealous too.

however if this is actually for your boys...you and i both know that you spend as much time in there as they do...only you call it "working" however you need to justify it is completely fine and understandable.

all in all...this is awesome, and if that was my room when i was a child, two things would be certain

1) none of my friends would be allowed to cross the threshold without the proper clearance

LoL "Father of the week" hahaha... But well done ChuckleCID I wish I have a room like that not like my toy room which where I sleep too LOL I have my PIT on my desk(which means when I do my homework I play with my toys too). And one more thing how much did you pay that?

jaimanstone
07-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Way too cool.

mightyjl
07-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Wow!! Top notch. Sadly, I only had girls so I can't create something this cool for my kids

Reznov
07-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Wow!! Top notch. Sadly, I only had girls so I can't create something this cool for my kids

If you're a dad make a Barbie room for you're girls.... LOL :D

jignacio_2k
07-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Man that is super sweet! Lucky kids (or should I say, lucky you).
If I had the space, I would make a room like that for myself!

thanks for sharing!

ArcticCG
07-28-2011, 10:51 AM
That is AWESOME!!!!

CG23
07-28-2011, 10:54 AM
That is SUPER cool! That's awesome you can share this with your kids!

nightfall
07-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Man that room is awesome. Switch it up into a command center adult style with a part of the room as a display area for the collection. Ultimate GIJOE mancave.....hoorah!!!

sonoftimmy
07-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Awesome! Lucky kids to have a Dad like you. Great job and thanks for sharing it gives me ideas for my son. He is not as much into Joes as I would like, but he is really into Marvel and SW. Maybe I'll make him a MF or Echo base someday.

lilmonster777
07-28-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm so not showing my kid these pics ;)

Python_Puckman
07-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Holy Sh!t

Xenos
07-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Awesome, but how do your kids feel about all the MoC stuff? Don't they want to tear it open and play with it?

Jettfire
07-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Are you looking to adopt any kids in their 30's by any chance?

rip_cord
07-28-2011, 02:20 PM
awesome.

Slaymaker
That is sweet! I a saving this page to show my boys and perhaps we will undertake a similar project!

Great Job!

USAgent
Amazing. I would have killed a friend for that room when i was a kid!

Cloud Strife
07-28-2011, 02:35 PM
This is just INSANE!!! You and your brother did an awesome job on the room and I'm sure your kids love it.

UMAN
07-28-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm totally stealing this idea for my own room. Lucky kids!

Jaybird
07-28-2011, 02:58 PM
That's too cool! I love it!

luigi
07-28-2011, 02:59 PM
epic F^%$*&^ ness
this is awesome

storm-shadow-md
07-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Dude, that is crazy awesome. I love the bunks, the design, the hand painted men. I can tell that took some time. Well done my friend... well done.

Matt Trakker
07-28-2011, 03:37 PM
This room is full of win! Congrats on such a great place for your boys!

Waspinator
07-28-2011, 03:45 PM
What about the floors though? Hardwood floors might look better than carpet.

This sorta reminds me of that Star Trek that turned his apartment into the inside of a starship. This was a UK fan.

Star Trek Fan Turns Apartment Into Spaceship: Man Overboard? (http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/272742)

TEMPLAR BAGGINS
07-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Somebody front page this NOW!!! awesome work!

But really, we all know this is really your mancave. I mean, we're all adults here :)

B and H Comics
07-28-2011, 04:11 PM
um Dad, we like Thundercats.

ChucklesCID
07-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Much thanks to for all the great replies! You all are cracking me up! I'm humbled and flattered. My seven year old says "I'm now famous!"

I must answer many of your questions:

1. I'm a true collector. I buy a figure for the boys to open, one for me to keep, and sometimes, just sometimes.....one more just in case.

2. Yes, I am quite a star wars collector as well, but have slowed way down since the GI JOE 25th Anniversary Line came out and brought new meaning and purpose to my life.

3. Yes, I have to COOLEST wife in the world. But she does think I'm insane.

4. And no boys it's not my MANCAVE

THIS IS MY MANCAVE!!!!:

fireflyguy
07-28-2011, 04:40 PM
I wanted to do this to our room but the wife shot it down.

That's freakin' awesome! I might consider doing something like this for my boys.

luigi
07-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Much thanks to for all the great replies! You all are cracking me up! I'm humbled and flattered. My seven year old says "I'm now famous!"

1. I'm a true collector. I buy a figure for the boys to open, one for me to keep, and sometimes, just sometimes.....one more just in case.

2. Yes, I am quite a star wars collector as well, but have slowed way down since the GI JOE 25th Anniversary Line came out and brought new meaning and purpose to my life.

THIS IS MY MANCAVE!!!!:

lol that is still epic

80sKid
07-28-2011, 04:48 PM
WOW!!! and Double WOW!!! Those two rooms kick ass! Highly impressed! Awesome work!

Black Rose
07-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Dude, love how you have a bar right next to the collection. You talk about an awesome place to just kick back and chill. Thanks for sharing these awesome rooms.

Cobra Terrorist
07-28-2011, 05:06 PM
That...is....AWESOME! You sound like a really cool Dad. Well done!

EDIT: Just saw the Mancave. Now I'm really jealous.

The Batman
07-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Damn. That is so damn awesome! It looks super cool!

redx24
07-28-2011, 05:14 PM
i am at a loss for words. very nice man lucky kids

manicmotive
07-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Great rooms man. Your kids' room looks like a lot of work and love went into it. Awesome.

Sgt Humpty
07-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Man, this is amazing!

joe1974
07-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Forget kid I want it now!!! LOL

TK1945
07-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Party at your house! :D

THIS IS MY MANCAVE!!!!:

07GT500 COBRA
07-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Don't let any tankers in your boys' room or else all kinds of stains might start showing up in the glow from the computer consoles.

Nice work!

Reznov
07-29-2011, 01:27 AM
Man you're rich! LoL you have a bar in your house if you're my dad you're FREAKING COOL!

Magick
07-29-2011, 02:26 AM
I am stealing that wall scheme.. That is totally insane. You have two very lucky boys. Well done sir.. well done indeed.

Magick
07-29-2011, 02:31 AM

THIS IS MY MANCAVE!!!!:

Holy Crap.. I wish I had a Basement..(One of the downsides with living in TX) I'm trying to either buy a new house with an upstairs game room.. or by chance find one out here that actually has a basement, so I can do that exact thing.. I have a bar, but it's not the same as a Man's Bar. Right now, my toy room shares the office, bedroom, living room.. and the attic. Basically all over the house with the main concentration in the Office.

KingBiohazerd
07-29-2011, 04:05 AM
This is awesome! I would say Father of the year

RATFINK
07-29-2011, 05:42 AM
top 5 best dads ever

Minor Blood
07-29-2011, 05:57 AM
VERY NICE DUDE!

Now for the bad news: I used to be a electrical inspector so I've got to say this, please don't be offended, I'm just looking out for your family's safety: move those power cords away from the lower bunk bed. If your kid hits those in the middle of the night, best case scenario he'll get shocked, or cause a spark. I'd probably either move that outlet or cover it too.

butter_the_pure
07-29-2011, 07:41 AM
This is the coolest room in America!

CTGLinks
07-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Wow......Great job dad! I'm sure they love it, I know I would!

I wonder if I could talk my wife into....hmmm....prob' not...LOL

alexan2dros
07-29-2011, 08:47 AM
tell the truth.. you spent more time in there than your own childrens! :)

samantha
07-29-2011, 08:48 AM
That is very cool. You have some lucky boys there.

DR.Sin
07-29-2011, 09:09 AM
That is some awesome stuff. Your kids' room, the bar, your mancave with the Star Wars and G.I. Joe stuff, and the bar. Dude. I would love to have a hang out as cool as that. If I could live in a permanent place I would definitely do this to my home.

Zartanman
07-29-2011, 09:39 AM
WOW! That's Epic, in every sense of the word. You and your children are very lucky and I hope you spend many years enjoying your awesome room.

Woo-Dig-It
07-29-2011, 09:39 AM
excellent work! awesome! FRONT PAGE PLZ!

WVMojo
07-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Dude that is just fantastic. I'm saving the pictures for when my son and daughter (twins) quit sharing a room in a year or so.

Awesome job.

cobracobra
07-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Really awesome work, man your kids have a dream room. The fact that it has unopened toys as well is crazy. I would go bonkers entering that room.
Questions.
What did you use to paint the Snake Eyes and Blowtorch? Are they prints? Or someone knows how to fabricate real well.
Anyways Kudos, may your kids never leave the house because with a room that sweet I wouldnt.

Reznov
07-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Really awesome work, man your kids have a dream room. The fact that it has unopened toys as well is crazy. I would go bonkers entering that room.
Questions.
What did you use to paint the Snake Eyes and Blowtorch? Are they prints? Or someone knows how to fabricate real well.
Anyways Kudos, may your kids never leave the house because with a room that sweet I wouldnt.

Um... cobracobra I know I'm not the one you're asking but as you can see it's a print. No paint can do such good like that. :)

WildWeaselZ06
07-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Dude, sweet room. I hope the wife will let me do something like that with my man-cave as well. Don't have kids yet, so don' know how theirs will be decorated, but yours have it made.

ChucklesCID
07-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Questions.

I get the first question all the time: "How do you keep your kids from opening the toys?" I've taught both boys from the time they were born the difference between "toys for looking and toys for playing" and somehow they get it and I've never had them open one. Now their friends on the other hand, need looked after and we've only had 3 POC casualties.

The Snake Eyes and Blowtorch in the bedroom were hand-drawn by me. I drew them out on the 1/4 inch thick foam poster-board you can purchase at any Wal-Mart, Target, Office Max and so on, and then painted them with acrylic paint and then outlined with a sharpie. The poster board kinda gives them the 3-D appearance so they POP off the wall. I just finished Duke last night and my 7 year old wants the Renegades version of Tunnel Rat next. They're real easy to do when you really break down how simply drawn the 80's cartoon characters were.
Man,.....maybe I've just discovered my new business venture!

ChucklesCID
07-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Lots of folks asking about the Characters, they're not prints, I hand draw them all on 1/4 inch foam poster board and them paint em with the cheap ass acrylic paint from Micheal's, then just outline with a thick sharpie.

Here's a closeup on Blowtorch and the Duke I finished last night. Still need to cut Duke out with the old EXACTO Knife. Up next, Renegades Tunnel Rat.

State Trooper
07-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Someone front page this.

Unclassified
07-29-2011, 11:24 AM
wow, that is the sickest shit ever. the detail is simply stunning to say the least, i wish my room looked like that now..

Unclassified
07-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Someone front page this.

it won't happen, really awesome things never get the front page.. not til i'm a mod anyway, i will front page anything that actually deserves a spot.

Gatchaman
08-04-2011, 01:58 AM
Wow, just wow. Can't wait to show this to my son!

CVdelgado
08-04-2011, 02:07 AM
effin sweet.

FreddyTV
08-04-2011, 02:13 AM
Pretty damn amazing! I wouldn't mind having a room like that as my man cave lol.

vermillion21
08-04-2011, 03:51 AM
Awesome rooms ChucklesCID - thanks for posting pics and sharing!!

jankatana
08-04-2011, 05:22 AM
Holy fudge cakes!

whiteknight
08-04-2011, 05:30 AM

If I were the kid occupying this room, I'd have passwords and counter-passwords before entering. Oh yes, and a pat-down search of each kid before leaving the room.

You are an awesome dad!

iDzBowl
08-04-2011, 07:38 AM
I just remodeled a room that size last summer. It wasn't custom or themed, but it was a lot of work. Hats off to you and I hope your kids don't grow out of it too soon. But if they do, until they're 30 again, looks like you have a new man cave (2nd one)! Great job man!

heymilt
08-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Way to go dad, you rock!!!

Jefehawk
11-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Ok I saw the hawk eye sign and then saw you r in DES moines! Soooo.... Whenever you want to invite me over to see those sweet rooms, I'm available! Your bar is awesome! Go hawks!

THIS IS MY MANCAVE!!!!:

Slaymaker
11-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Ok I saw the hawk eye sign and then saw you r in DES moines! Soooo.... Whenever you want to invite me over to see those sweet rooms, I'm available! Your bar is awesome! Go hawks!

I never noticed the Iowa connection - we all could have stopped over after the joe meet and saw it in person. :D

Jefehawk
11-18-2011, 07:47 AM
Not too late!.... That bar makes me thirsty. Ha

Keenan
11-18-2011, 09:13 AM
This is great! Lucky kids for sure.

ctupa
11-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Nothing I can say that hasn't been said but man, what a kick-butt room!!!! AWESOME!!!!

Topside
11-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Best Dad Ever?

TheRealDubya
11-22-2011, 11:11 AM
You're a good dad. Nice work.

Or a master brainwasher. Can't decide.

That Blowtorch cutout is the eternal radness.

Chief CWO
11-22-2011, 11:19 AM
This cool beyond words...

Flint-wo2
12-15-2011, 01:43 AM
um Dad, we like Thundercats.

No bear. (http://myfacewhen.com/150/)

XAMOT
12-15-2011, 11:06 AM
I am speechless.

Outbackk
06-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Man, after seeing this in person I can tell you the pics don't do it justice.