PDA

View Full Version : Questions Anyone have luck taking apart the new Sky Striker?

Shin Densetsu
07-27-2011, 02:23 AM
I have unscrewed all the screws from my 3rd Sky Striker and cannot get the body to come apart. Seems like some parts were glued on. There has to be a way.

Took apart the cockpit and Hasbro was right, 2 figures in the cockpit would look weird. At the very least, the front cockpit module would have to be removed. The main reason for weirdness is due to the new way the cockpit connects to the body. The bar on the body that inserts into the cockpit takes enough space to make 2 figures look cramped in the cockpit.

KingBiohazerd
07-27-2011, 02:43 AM
Sorry can't help haven't found one to tinker with yet I'm sure some one has tryed actual I would try the tf sights I'm sure someone on there is trying to make skywarp,thundercrack,and acid rain

speedocub
07-27-2011, 02:49 AM
I'll assume you mean to repaint it?

In that case, I would recommend Frog Tape. I don't think she's coming apart. I've noticed that Hasbro is not just using screws but glue too.

nighthawk
07-27-2011, 03:41 AM
Took apart the cockpit and Hasbro was right, 2 figures in the cockpit would look weird. At the very least, the front cockpit module would have to be removed. The main reason for weirdness is due to the new way the cockpit connects to the body. The bar on the body that inserts into the cockpit takes enough space to make 2 figures look cramped in the cockpit.

Any chance you can take a picture of this? I'd like to see how it would look with two figures.

Thanks!

MLos1
07-27-2011, 03:46 AM
i looked over one of mine tonite...the glue mention really puts me off from trying to take it apart...

even after un-screwing it just seems like it'd never come apart without destroying it...and they are too beautiful to mess with in my hands...

maybe someone with the right skill set could mess with the glued parts...but i'm def not that guy...

i'm super happy with them just the way they are...i don't want to risk destruction just to fit a co-pilot in there...

God will be the co-pilot for my guys...lol

Shin Densetsu
07-27-2011, 04:44 AM
i looked over one of mine tonite...the glue mention really puts me off from trying to take it apart...

even after un-screwing it just seems like it'd never come apart without destroying it...and they are too beautiful to mess with in my hands...

maybe someone with the right skill set could mess with the glued parts...but i'm def not that guy...

i'm super happy with them just the way they are...i don't want to risk destruction just to fit a co-pilot in there...

God will be the co-pilot for my guys...lol

You can take apart the cockpit before attaching to the body. The cockpit isn't glued so all you have to do is unscrew it.

The body is tough. Not sure if the outermost part of the engine areas are glued on.

I have an idea for how to separate the wings and landing gear YET still have the wings swing together. I just need to get the body taken apart, then I can attempt to do my magic.

Steelgrave
07-27-2011, 05:34 AM
Where's that thread that shows you how to separate the wings from the landing gear? It shows you how to clip the gear teeth on the wings & I suggested grinding the teeth down with a Dremel. I posted in it but I just went back & looked through 10 pages of my posts & it wasn't there. I also tried searching but I can't find it anywhere. If you could find it I'm sure that guy could help you. He already took one apart.

Hawkeye
07-27-2011, 05:39 AM
I have an idea for how to separate the wings and landing gear YET still have the wings swing together. I just need to get the body taken apart, then I can attempt to do my magic.

Let us know how that goes, I'd be interested in doing the same thing to mine.

Exciter
07-27-2011, 07:12 AM
Where's that thread that shows you how to separate the wings from the landing gear? It shows you how to clip the gear teeth on the wings & I suggested grinding the teeth down with a Dremel. There are links in this (single page) thread to a few other threads that have what you're looking for.

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-toys-modern-general-discussion/134978-help-modification-new-sky-striker.html

Hyryx
07-27-2011, 07:15 AM
I have yet to take mine apart but if I can this is what I'm trying to accomplish. I want the wings in but landing gear down. so I have to reset the gears for the wings by taking the wings off track with the landing gear down, at which point I will reinstall the wings opposite to the way they were with the wings now in the in position. That way when the slide handle is pulled back the landing gear goes up and the wings go out. I think it might work cause the space for the wings to move back and forth is already there, all I gotta do is set them opposite then what they already are. What do you guys think.

Exciter
07-27-2011, 07:17 AM
I have yet to take mine apart but if I can this is what I'm trying to accomplish. I want the wings in but landing gear down. so I have to reset the gears for the wings by taking the wings off track with the landing gear down, at which point I will reinstall the wings opposite to the way they were with the wings now in the in position. That way when the slide handle is pulled back the landing gear goes up and the wings go out. I think it might work cause the space for the wings to move back and forth is already there, all I gotta do is set them opposite then what they already are. What do you guys think.I think it will look great parked...

Syn3sthesia
07-27-2011, 07:50 AM
I ran into the same problem too. I couldn't separate the body so I just left it alone.

dcooper
07-27-2011, 08:38 AM
I took apart the cockpit and got my seats from my vintage Skystriker and put them in there. The only way I see it working is if someone cuts out the back part of the cockpit.

Shin Densetsu
07-27-2011, 11:34 AM
I have yet to take mine apart but if I can this is what I'm trying to accomplish. I want the wings in but landing gear down. so I have to reset the gears for the wings by taking the wings off track with the landing gear down, at which point I will reinstall the wings opposite to the way they were with the wings now in the in position. That way when the slide handle is pulled back the landing gear goes up and the wings go out. I think it might work cause the space for the wings to move back and forth is already there, all I gotta do is set them opposite then what they already are. What do you guys think.

You can do this without taking the body apart. You have to unscrew the body, the middle part near the wings isn't glued, so you can pry it open a tad, and get the wings out. From there it's all a matter of reinserting them in the desired position.

With the "surgery" I'm trying to perform I need access to the internal frame. I just can't manage to separate the body completely. Goal is to separate wings from landing gear, yet have the wings able to swing together. If I can just get the body separated completely I will see if my theory works, then I can share it with all of you.

I took apart the cockpit and got my seats from my vintage Skystriker and put them in there. The only way I see it working is if someone cuts out the back part of the cockpit.

The main issue is the space molded for the bar/block that inserts/connects the body to the cockpit. Look inside the cockpit from behind, before attaching it to the body. That bottom space/groove is what makes adding 2 figures difficult.

Magick
07-27-2011, 11:47 AM
I'll assume you mean to repaint it?

In that case, I would recommend Frog Tape. I don't think she's coming apart. I've noticed that Hasbro is not just using screws but glue too.

Its actually not glue.. but a sonic weld, much like they use on the figure torsos.

Steelgrave
07-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Its actually not glue.. but a sonic weld, much like they use on the figure torsos.

In that case just wrap your Skystriker in a sock & then put it in a vice. There ya go! Problem solved. :D

Shin Densetsu
07-27-2011, 01:16 PM

Huh? What is that? How do you take a sonic weld apart?

Shin Densetsu
07-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Alright folks, I don't want to do this but I am considering cutting out the top body of the Sky Striker so I can access the linkage. I've read recommendations for dremels and jewel saws...which would be better to surgically cut out a portion of the top part of the body?

lilmonster777
07-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Alright folks, I don't want to do this but I am considering cutting out the top body of the Sky Striker so I can access the linkage. I've read recommendations for dremels and jewel saws...which would be better to surgically cut out a portion of the top part of the body?

Good luck :)

Shin Densetsu
07-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Good luck :)

Thanks. I just want to take the whole thing apart already! I really don't want to cut into the top...the seams will be a PITA to putty and resmooth.

Breakerfan
07-28-2011, 12:43 AM
I have unscrewed all the screws from my 3rd Sky Striker and cannot get the body to come apart. Seems like some parts were glued on. There has to be a way.

Wait a minute. I know you. You're that kid I learned never to lend my toys to aren't you?

Shin Densetsu
07-28-2011, 12:52 AM
Wait a minute. I know you. You're that kid I learned never to lend my toys to aren't you?

Uh...no.

Read up on sonic welds,...apparently if the weld was done good enough the welded parts become one....

Magick are you completelyy certain the body of the Sky Striker has been sonic welded?

Darkseid83
07-28-2011, 12:56 AM
microwave it.

Shin Densetsu
07-28-2011, 01:03 AM
microwave it.

No.

BTW everyone else who was trying to get the Sky Striker open, I tried wedging a screwdriver between the gaps....didn't work. Afraid it will break off some pegs too.

joeMANdan
07-28-2011, 01:07 AM
This is a tough nut to crack! The sonic welds are only in the front and rear of the main assembly (intake and exhaust). I tried taking it apart myself and stopped to figure the best way. I took a flashlight to x-ray it and it seems really hard to take it apart at the intake area.

Shin Densetsu
07-28-2011, 01:14 AM
This is a tough nut to crack! The sonic welds are only in the front and rear of the main assembly (intake and exhaust). I tried taking it apart myself and stopped to figure the best way. I took a flashlight to x-ray it and it seems really hard to take it apart at the intake area.

That's where I found them too. The welds on the intakes confused the hell out of me! Couldn't tell which part was welded, and where the original seams actually were!

SuperFlanker
08-01-2011, 01:55 AM
I'm taking a look at mine now. I didnt expect Hasbro to glue the upper and lower structure. What I have found:

1. The mechanical actuating slide bar has Zero commonality with the one on the Classic Skystriker. It is an entirely new design.

2. There is more internal bracing structures and the space is more confined due to other redesign points. The system I created for the Bombcat will not work in its current design on the new plane and a whole new system will have to be explored and re-engineered from the ground up.

3. There is a high risk of damage cosmetically if you try to take this thing apart. More specialized tools will be needed to prevent damage. Hasbro's designers incorporated notch style tabs coupled with some type of cyanoacrylate type glue which contributes to making this a bit more difficult.

This has gotten very intersting rather quickly...

dorian247
08-01-2011, 02:39 AM
man I hope it works for you, Ive been trying to take mine apart as well. On my classic skystrikers I would have the landing gear down WITH the wings swept in, they display nicer on my Flagg in my opinion, however with the new one I cant separate it to do this. =(

SuperFlanker
08-01-2011, 03:10 AM
man I hope it works for you, Ive been trying to take mine apart as well. On my classic skystrikers I would have the landing gear down WITH the wings swept in, they display nicer on my Flagg in my opinion, however with the new one I cant separate it to do this. =(

I edited my reply above. I have no answer yet. The plane is like Fort Knox...there's a high risk of damage if you force this thing to give. I'm studying a whole new design.

joeMANdan
08-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Is it a sonic weld or super glue? I hope its glued because I can use super glue debonder to loosen the bond. It really looks welded though.

jwmagick
08-02-2011, 12:55 PM
If it's sonic welded then you're screwed. You'll have cut through it. You could try heating a super thin wire between where the pieces meet. I would love some kind of kit to do sonic welding at home. It could fix a lot of broken plastic.

freakintiger
08-02-2011, 01:38 PM
You will have to carefully (both for the plane's sake and your own) cut it apart with a razor knife in the seam. It will take a long time to do right. Be prepared for body work as it is inevitable that the razor knife will slip at least once and scar the body. I've had to do this before with the newer toys and it is a pain, but it's not impossible. I would recommend wearing heavy leather gloves for a project this size so you won't lose blood/gain stitches and pain lots of pain...

Marine_Deadpool
08-02-2011, 09:46 PM
I have an Excel exacto knife kit # 44200 with a very fine saw blade that would be perfect for cutting this apart. You would have find a section to get the blade in and get started, but it would work quicker than using a razor blade.

Shin Densetsu
08-02-2011, 11:22 PM
First off, thank you all for the tips and suggestions, I appreciate it folks!

I'm taking a look at mine now. I didnt expect Hasbro to glue the upper and lower structure. What I have found:

1. The mechanical actuating slide bar has Zero commonality with the one on the Classic Skystriker. It is an entirely new design.

2. There is more internal bracing structures and the space is more confined due to other redesign points. The system I created for the Bombcat will not work in its current design on the new plane and a whole new system will have to be explored and re-engineered from the ground up.

3. There is a high risk of damage cosmetically if you try to take this thing apart. More specialized tools will be needed to prevent damage. Hasbro's designers incorporated notch style tabs coupled with some type of cyanoacrylate type glue which contributes to making this a bit more difficult.

This has gotten very intersting rather quickly...

SuperFlanker, very interesting and insightful observations! Had no idea the actuating bar was a new design! This thing really has more going on than meets the eyes. Did you take yours apart completely?

You can by unscrewing the body, prying it apart just a bit near the wings, gently lifting the wings up and out, then reinserting them in the desired position.

Is it a sonic weld or super glue? I hope its glued because I can use super glue debonder to loosen the bond. It really looks welded though.

I think it's a weld man and it's very confusing in the front.

If it's sonic welded then you're screwed. You'll have cut through it. You could try heating a super thin wire between where the pieces meet. I would love some kind of kit to do sonic welding at home. It could fix a lot of broken plastic.

Hmm...I will definitely consider that. I get the feeling the Hasbro guys did not want this thing to be taken apart.

You will have to carefully (both for the plane's sake and your own) cut it apart with a razor knife in the seam. It will take a long time to do right. Be prepared for body work as it is inevitable that the razor knife will slip at least once and scar the body. I've had to do this before with the newer toys and it is a pain, but it's not impossible. I would recommend wearing heavy leather gloves for a project this size so you won't lose blood/gain stitches and pain lots of pain...

Thanks man, ah man, I remember the feeling of knife slips with exactos....not fun! I tried scraping some glue off with the edge of my screwdriver, but this needs more.

I have an Excel exacto knife kit # 44200 with a very fine saw blade that would be perfect for cutting this apart. You would have find a section to get the blade in and get started, but it would work quicker than using a razor blade.

Hmmm, for the front part it's hard to figure out where to start. I will look up that kit.

I want to avoid getting impatient and smashing the body open with a brick.

SuperFlanker, do you have pics of the inside, and do you think rubber washers could be inserted over the landing gear pegs?

joeMANdan
08-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Has anybody popped one of these apart yet? I would love to see pics of the internal structure at the sonic welds.

orezona
08-24-2011, 04:21 PM
I have a strong feeling that the reason there hasn't been a ton of custom Sky Strikers posted is precisely for this reason. I admit that I took the "easy way out" and just painted the wings before popping them on the body because I did NOT want to mess with trying to take it apart. Now I'm glad that's the route I took.

Look, this thing is tough as shit and can definitely handle some prolonged playtime with a kid under 8 years old. Hasbro did a fantastic job designing this and while that's good for the survivability of the Sky Striker, it's not so great for us who like "hacking" into our toys to tweak the design to our own personal needs.

So far I've only seen maybe a few fully painted new Sky Strikers posted on here and from what I read the customizers just pried the body open enough to get paint in there without having to fully disassemble the entire structure.

I'm really interested to see how this progresses. I wish I had a spare 30th Sky Striker layout around that I didn't care about but then again I like them so much it's not likely I wouldn't have already developed an attachment!

Someone will figure this out...

bad karma
08-24-2011, 07:37 PM
I have to take a few of these apart for projects I am working on so here are some pics of the inside and trouble areas.

The front has a piece on both sides that is glued inside that cannot be accessed from the outside. This is the piece that prevents you from pulling apart the front even after you cut the visible seams.

The back has that outer engine piece holding the top and bottom together and is glued and would not pull off.

joeMANdan
08-25-2011, 12:24 AM
THANK YOU! bad karma for the pics. I knew it would be hairy. I might try to delicately saw through the trouble areas. If I figure an easier way then I will post it.

Shin Densetsu
08-26-2011, 02:56 AM
I have to take a few of these apart for projects I am working on so here are some pics of the inside and trouble areas.

The front has a piece on both sides that is glued inside that cannot be accessed from the outside. This is the piece that prevents you from pulling apart the front even after you cut the visible seams.

The back has that outer engine piece holding the top and bottom together and is glued and would not pull off.

THIS MAN HAS DONE IT! How do you get those parts off man?

bad karma
08-26-2011, 09:03 AM
I broke this one apart. I tried not to but I really needed to see what these looked like on the inside. Now that I have one apart as reference I can try and devise a way of disassembling one without breaking it. Those pieces at the rear over the engine shaft are on there really damn good. They are what prevents you from pulling the top and bottom body apart at the rear. The only idea I have for them right now is to try and make a clean cut through them following the path of the body seam. Once you do this you may be able to pry the upper body up enough to access the trouble area in the front, and cut through the glued piece. I'll try this when I get another one. If you try this remember to put the landing gear down so the lever isn't in the way. The whole internal gear mechanism is screwed to the bottom body piece and the only pieces that may fall out are gonna be the wing sections.

If anyone breaks theirs trying this don't blame me.