PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever like Serpentor when he was first introduced?

KobraKahn
07-22-2011, 02:44 PM
I was watching Teletoon Retro the other night, and Rise, Serpentor Rise was on, and it was cool and all, but I dunno, could be just me... but I never liked Serpentor and I still don't. I was Cobra Commander loyalist through and through and I hated seeing our coward upstaged by some test tube baby.

What did you think of him as kids?

dmizrok
07-22-2011, 02:47 PM
I was into the comic version, and thought it was lame when they changed up the origin for the cartoon; a blank clone floating in a giant test tube was WAY cooler than the red blob of living monster slime... Also the comic didnt go all crazy with the This I command crap....and never liked how ALL of Cobra pretty much took Serpys side....(human, comic)
CC all the way

sjames90
07-22-2011, 03:02 PM
I didn't care for him as a kid. I still don't think of him as the leader of Cobra. But I like him a little more now.

ero
07-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Sure, I loved him. '85 and '86 were the big Joe years for me, so he was the man for his time and place. He fit right in there.

Cloud Strife
07-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Serpentor rocks! Loved him as a kid and still do.

!!Snake-Eyes!!
07-22-2011, 03:06 PM
I also like the Comic Serpentor much more! and i liked how the comic introduced him! i made up my own story on where Serpentor fits into my Collection,but that is another thread post! :D

Steelgrave
07-22-2011, 03:21 PM
Serpentor is a great example of an awesome idea that was poorly executed. When I first heard about him & how Dr. Mindbender created him I was all for it. I raced out to find the toy. It was so damn cool. But then I saw how crappy the toy was & then saw him in the cartoon & I couldn't stand him after that. His outfit was goofy as hell & I couldn't stand the constant "THIS I COMMAND" crap.

VideoViper
07-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Back then you could never find a Cobra Commander, or Snake-eyes.....

So he was a good substitute although he did look a little odd to me even as a kid.

sjames90
07-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Serpentor is a great example of an awesome idea that was poorly executed. When I first heard about him & how Dr. Mindbender created him I was all for it. I raced out to find the toy. It was so damn cool. But then I saw how crappy the toy was & then saw him in the cartoon & I couldn't stand him after that. His outfit was goofy as hell & I couldn't stand the constant "THIS I COMMAND" crap.

The new 25th Serpentor is much better though!

pryorstemmed
07-22-2011, 03:32 PM
I also like the Comic Serpentor much more! and i liked how the comic introduced him! i made up my own story on where Serpentor fits into my Collection,but that is another thread post! :D

I agree with both of you. I really liked the idea, but the finished product was too silly looking for me. He was definitely better in the comic than the cartoon.

CVdelgado
07-22-2011, 03:33 PM
"this i command" is classic like megatron's "excellent."

i only saw the toon as a kid, i thought it was an interesting idea.

i liked cobra commander but you really cant blame the other cobras for looking for a better leader.

i just read the comic version last week. i liked that too.

i like him more now than when i was little, but CC will always be my #1. :P

sjames90
07-22-2011, 03:33 PM
I agree with both of you. I really liked the idea, but the finished product was too silly looking for me. He was definitely better in the comic than the cartoon.

Your FF sig pic is awesome.

Dod Ear
07-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Serpentor rocks! Loved him as a kid and still do.

Seconded. It was until I discovered this site that I was shocked to find a bevy of fans, particularly who followed the comic book, hated him.

pryorstemmed
07-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Your FF sig pic is awesome.

Thanks man, Python Puckman created it for me (thanks a ton PP) and I added a few touches to it. Gotta love a pic of FF blowing sh*t up!

ravage28
07-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Good concept but sucked in the end.

Wylde Weezle
07-22-2011, 04:15 PM
10 year old me liked the comic book version, didn't like the cartoon version. The figure was a lot of fun to play with. Had I still been playing with the toys by the time both the comic and the animated movie killed him off, he would have been the guy destined to die during all my play battles.

In my JoeVerse he is a Viper picked for a Springfield local access channel host for a kid's afternoon block of cartoon shows. Pretty much what SGT Slaughter did in real life.
In this JoeVerse he keeps the same supersoldier DNA backstory though he's really just a guy from Hoboken NJ hosting the cartoon block, promoting Cobra for the kiddies between shows.
His squadmates like him and had R&D develop a kevlar suit that looks like his TV costume so he can actually wear it during combat missions. And his air chariot is really a custom frame built around a Flight Pod/Trouble Bubble engine :D

nerdsgetchicks
07-22-2011, 04:21 PM
I read the comic version first. It is a way better story.

CrimsonGuard101
07-22-2011, 04:33 PM
I have always liked him, i just never liked the way he was throttled and never really allowed to take over something and pwn it all, like all heavy hitter individuals DNA he was given...he was a super being that could have done more, they just let the genie out of the bottle by making him overly awesome that he would not even need the loosers in Cobra anymore. Why I wished they had doen a better job with the connection to Cobra La. The ocncepot oif them influencing Dr. Mindbender to creat ehim was really cool.

Weezus
07-22-2011, 04:36 PM

the sarcasm is staggering with this one.

NAJA EMPIRE
07-22-2011, 04:40 PM

Gotta be joking...

Crimson Rage
07-22-2011, 04:41 PM
I automatically took a dislike to him for sidelining Cobra Commander in the 'toon. He made more sense in the comic (and his origin, although 'ridiculous', appealed to the sci-fi loving kid I was), but I couldn't get past that costume. Never cared for him at all.

KobraKahn
07-22-2011, 05:15 PM
10 year old me liked the comic book version, didn't like the cartoon version. The figure was a lot of fun to play with. Had I still been playing with the toys by the time both the comic and the animated movie killed him off, he would have been the guy destined to die during all my play battles.

In my JoeVerse he is a Viper picked for a Springfield local access channel host for a kid's afternoon block of cartoon shows. Pretty much what SGT Slaughter did in real life.
In this JoeVerse he keeps the same supersoldier DNA backstory though he's really just a guy from Hoboken NJ hosting the cartoon block, promoting Cobra for the kiddies between shows.
His squadmates like him and had R&D develop a kevlar suit that looks like his TV costume so he can actually wear it during combat missions. And his air chariot is really a custom frame built around a Flight Pod/Trouble Bubble engine :D

This is too good :P

Nictus
07-22-2011, 05:45 PM
i like the idea behind serpentor...i like the science that explains his existence...but i don't like the cartoon/movie interpretation of those ideas

IDW's approach is interesting and i think i prefer better as it's easier to believe

however serpentor doesn't really have a crucial part to play in my verse...he's just a figure head and serves no real purpose

Cobra Terrorist
07-22-2011, 05:52 PM
I love the "Arise, Serpentor, Arise" 5-parter, but he didn't really have "legs" story-wise after that.

I especially love the part in that mini-series where Serpentor thinks the US is surrendering (at the Lincoln Memorial) and he says something like "Kneel before me, you PATHETIC LOSERS!".

UMAN
07-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Pretty much always hated Serpentor...

Jaybird
07-22-2011, 06:42 PM
I liked (and still do) his origin story in the comics. I owned the fig as a kid and appreciated that Cobra finally got a strong, inspiring, dynamic leader. Now, I keep it simple. Cobra Commander is the leader of Cobra. It just doesn't make sense any other way.

Zombieboy
07-22-2011, 06:49 PM
comic yes cartoon no

Ronnie Dobbs
07-22-2011, 07:01 PM
I had no problems with Serpentor in the cartoon as a kid. I was always just too damn excited for the next new episode of G.i.JOE to come on.

What DID bug me as a kid, was that they pretty much killed off all of the Gen 1 Transformers to make way for the new line of shitty characters. I remember throwing some of my perfectly good G1 Transformers in the garbage can because I thought..."Well he's dead so I have no use for him anymore." I wasn't the only kid that did this. Fuck you hasbro!

ero
07-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Seconded. It was until I discovered this site that I was shocked to find a bevy of fans, particularly who followed the comic book, hated him.

Yeah, same here. What's with you guys! :)

What DID bug me as a kid, was that they pretty much killed off all of the Gen 1 Transformers to make way for the new line of shitty characters. I remember throwing some of my perfectly good G1 Transformers in the garbage can because I thought..."Well he's dead so I have no use for him anymore." I wasn't the only kid that did this. Fuck you hasbro!

Ha, classic. Exactly.

Hawkwinter
07-22-2011, 07:29 PM

Wow! I really hope you are kidding.

MLos1
07-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Serpentor comic ='s awesome

Serpentor cartoon ='s retarded

WVMojo
07-22-2011, 07:46 PM
I had three Cobra factions...those who followed serpentor, those who followed CC, and Destro and his crew.

I liked him. Could do without this I command every two minutes, but other than that, he was alright

MLos1
07-22-2011, 08:11 PM
I had three Cobra factions...those who followed serpentor, those who followed CC, and Destro and his crew.

I liked him. Could do without this I command every two minutes, but other than that, he was alright

I like this idea...

1- cobra commander has cobra...

2- destro has iron grenadiers...

3- serpentor, in theory, could have:
"serpentorians"
"serpenticons"
"serpentorinators"
"serpent order"
"order of the serpent"

....something like those above...sub-group oriented.

Shipshape1983
07-23-2011, 12:21 PM
I actually like Serpentor. CC was great and all, but Serpentor was a leader thru and thru. He took command in the comics yet still retained that unstable whack job air to him. In the cartoon he actually led Cobra to successfully or almost successfully take Washington DC. The Prez just happened to be out of town....

Loose Cannon
07-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Yes. I love Serpentor. Loved it as a kid on the Cartoons loved it in the Comics. He and CC pretty much are co-rulers. He leads the main forces into battle, CC handles the finances. THey hate each other, but they've figured that since they both strive for world Domination, they make it work. Even though most Vipers follow Cobra Commander, Serpy has more of the tougher Vipers following him, like the Range-Vipers, Para-Vipers, Jungle-VIpers.

spacemonkey
07-23-2011, 01:09 PM
I don't like the hokey nature of Serpentor in the toon but i love the comic version of him. I thought his origin was pretty well executed. With science making this more plausable, i think it's even more relevant today. The idea of a power struggle within cobra between CC and Serpentor should have been IDW's direction. CC would have to up his game to show he can compete with a genetically "gifted" tactician. Ultimately CC would win out and prove to everyone he's got the stones and brains to lead cobra and he's not a huge puss!

Rohan757
07-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Must disagree with some people hear, The 25th ann Serpentor was awesome, really what was wrong with him? I dont see the big fuss.

I never liked him in the cartoons, that whole cobra-la thing to me was complete garbage, plus Snake-Eyes gets wrecked!!! And Cobra Commander wasn't even human? I do agree that Cobra-la did have potential but Im sorry that storyline sucked...

As for Serpentor himself, awesome Idea, awesome character, awesome backround. The most I ever got out of The Marvel Run of Gi Joe was the summaries on Gi Joe comicbook Archives... was Serpentor in the Marvel Run? what was it like, did him and Snake-Eyes throw down?

Cobra Commander still is the true leader imo aswell

crock master
07-24-2011, 11:36 AM
as a kid , i loved the toy, and hated the characters on the cartoon.
now, i like him because of the troubles he caused me as a kid. serpentor actually had my dad kick my ass!

Gallows
07-25-2011, 06:50 AM
TV Serpentor sucked the big one but I liked the Marvel comic version of him.

BigFore
07-25-2011, 07:35 AM
I truly thought the execution of Serpentor in the comics was leaps and bounds ahead of the cartoon version. My opinion of the cartoon version was pretty low; however, I thought issues 49 and 50 were two of the best written comics of the Original Joe line, thus I liked Serpentor in the comics.

The reason may have been the introduction of the new Joes; it may have peaked at the same time as my interest in GI Joe did; however, things in that comic stuck with me more than any other that I have read.

2 visuals stick out in my head: Serpentor holding the fallen Viper and the Joes flying into Springfield in the C-130s and Tomahawk.

Nightrain
07-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Arise Serpentor Arise are my favorite set of episodes. That said, I really dug him as a super soldier who cared about his brethren. I never saw that until recently during my quest to read all of Marvel(I'm on vol 7 now).

cobracommanderiv
10-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Marvel comic Serpentor all the way. Btw, he was holding an injured Cobra Trooper when he rallied the troops at The Battle For Springfield...I remember that story well. One of the best. I'm surprised Destro never truly sided with Serpentor in the comics-he could have profited so much from selling MARS weaponry to a monarchical ruler of Cobra as opposed to a psychotic tyrant like CC...

SnowSerpent11
10-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Serpentor fan right here!

crock master
10-05-2011, 02:56 PM
the toy was introduced to me first, so i had to have one.
but he got on my damn nerves on the cartoon.
but now i like the serpentor concept.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e205/picklis/picasioncom_db247aa6fb703ebf7b2dd48f9aa0bb7d.gif

bitetheasp
10-05-2011, 04:11 PM
I only got into G.I. Joe little over a year ago.

I loved Serpentor right away.

Hama did the best he could do for him in the comic and it worked, imo.

I watched G.I. Joe: the Movie about two months ago and despite Cobra La being 98% suck, I like the Cobra LALALALALALALA!!! :D

gunslingercbr
10-05-2011, 04:17 PM
I loved everything G.I. Joe as a kid. every new idea was a kick ass idea.

Cobra Emperor to take the place of Cobra Commander? Fucking awesome, added a cool new character and storyline to play.

Vipers being introduced as the bottom of the barrel Cobra Trooper instead of the basic Cobra? Fucking awesome, gave me another cool Cobra figure to play with.

Crystal Ball? Fucking awesome, just one more way for Cobra to interrogate Joe prisoners.

etc., etc.

nighthawk
10-05-2011, 04:36 PM
I liked him until he started saying Cobra Lalalalalala

That was annoying.

CG23
10-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Cobra Commander is the true leader of Cobra!

RolandofGilead
10-05-2011, 05:35 PM
There are two distinct versions of Serpentor in my mind. The first is the comics version which was of a man-made clone who was a tactical and political genius who worked to win the hearts of the men and women in Cobra and usurp Cobra Commander's power out from under him. This character was cool and calculating who also suffered from occasional identity crises due to holding the memory of so many past lives.

The second was that of the cartoon. To me, Arise Serpentor Arise was the best miniseries as it saw GI Joe losing to Cobra one battle after another. The origins of Serpentor were interesting and it didn't hurt that the Cobra armies magically transformed into the Vipers and other cooler cobra characters. Eventually he became a little silly, but then so was Cobra Commander as portrayed in the cartoon.

Serpentor also opened the GI Joe conflict wider in my mind because it went from Cobra Commander as a militaristic dictator to a royal emperor who ruled Cobra Island as a sovereign nation. The cobra threat went from a back room or warehouse full of thugs to an entire country out to destroy the United States.

Vanguard
10-05-2011, 05:36 PM
In the Comics he kicked ass! In the cartoon he was terrible.

krooklyn
10-05-2011, 05:54 PM
I was a Serpentor fan when he was first introduced, then he quickly became another lame character in the Cobra rank and files.

Shipshape1983
10-05-2011, 07:44 PM
I like Serpentor.

Colder Soldier
10-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Of course I loved Serpentor as a kid. Why? He could fight! Unlike CC or Destro for all that matter, Serpentor went hand-to-hand with the man who whooped every Joe and the entire inaugural platoon of BATs.

Now that I'm older, I realize his story is kinda lame.

crock master
10-05-2011, 08:09 PM
but serpentor was so mean.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e205/picklis/picasioncom_c175036a50f0f7fb6931fae7e92724fb.gif

PROVOST
10-05-2011, 08:13 PM
No..

CaptThunderLion
10-14-2011, 11:49 AM
YES and HECK YES!!! I prefer him over Cobra Commander and he is the RIGHTFUL leader of COBRA. Blasphemy!!! Most of you would say but I say to you all NA NA NA NA BOO BOO! So there. :)

Monte Williams
10-14-2011, 01:17 PM
I found the cartoon character tiresome, but I loved the toy!

Big IV
11-13-2011, 10:21 PM
I am a Commander loyalist, but I like Serpentor taking over and making Cobra Commander the underdog.

Cobra lalalalala

sjames90
11-13-2011, 10:23 PM
I found the cartoon character tiresome, but I loved the toy!

I can go along with this. I think I played with the toy and the chariot quite a bit as a kid, but didn't really care for the cartoon character.

skinny
11-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Zartan killed him, I built a coffin out of balsa wood, traced the panel with the arrow sticking out of his head, stuck the drawing behind the coffin and never looked back.

Quick Kick
11-13-2011, 10:49 PM
His run in the Marvel comics was some of the best story of the entire run of the series, from his ability to stop G.I.Joe and help Destro evacuate the entire Cobra Oranization from Springfield, To the fact that he was an actual "leader", unlike Cobra Commander who could never get the Cobra Hierarchy to work together to accomplish anything. Then, when he returned in the Devil's Due comics with "The Coil", with characters like Overlord working with him, that was really sweet, and created some really awesome concepts, and a whole entire faction was added to the G.I.Joe Universe. While Serpentor's tag line was annoying in the cartoon, if you set that aside, he was clearly superior to Cobra Commander in every way.

Shin-Gouki
11-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Comic Serpentor I kinda liked. I especially liked how as soon as soon as his 2 years on the shelf were up, and Hasbro's mandate that he be used was up Hama killed him.

Zefram
11-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Cobra Commander had become such a joke by the end of the first season that having a crazy badass ubermench who would ride out by himself on his chariot to lure a building sized monster away from the Terrordrome to save Cobra, and at the edge of a cliff turn around with his back to the cliff and challenge the building-sized monster to fight him if he dared was a huge breath of fresh air.

I loved Serpentor because as goofy and crazy and over the top as he was, it was just awesome to see the bad guys have someone leading them with a pair of iron balls the size of the FLAGG.

Hell, his first act was to invade Washington DC! Was it totally reckless and stupid waste of resources? Yup. Was seeing DC in flames a hell of a way for a villain to make an entrance? HELL YEAH!

Vulcan Raven
11-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Hell yes I did. Had the mail-away.

fireflyguy
11-13-2011, 11:51 PM
As a kid, I liked Serpentor okay, I guess. I liked the figure with the air chariot. I liked the idea of him being more of a super-soldier, though. I didn't like when he sort of took over Cobra, both in the comic and cartoon, although I will say that , like many of you, I thought the comic did a better job with the story.

As an adult, I hate Serpentor.

Tom-1
11-13-2011, 11:55 PM
I think I liked Serpentor as a story element, but never as a replacement for Cobra Commander. I liked that Cobra Commander was given someone to have real conflict with inside his organization (not just Destro or the ocassional, random upstart) but in the end - to me - it was always meant for the Commander to take back his place. But just like any leader-come-lately (Hordak, for instance) their purpose was to eclipse the original enemy only to make them shine brighter later on.

Tom

blayze5150
11-13-2011, 11:56 PM
I like Serpentor! The storyline was a great idea. The comic handled it much better than the cartoon, but he's still pretty cool!

cardensb
11-14-2011, 12:03 AM
I had him as a kid. I did not like the cartoon version but liked the comic version. I used him as some sort of battlefield leader for Cobra and CC became more corporate like, I guess - not knowing it as a kid. CC ended up in the HQ a lot and definitely not putting his butt on the line. I was not excited with the figures look or the air chariot but played with them quite a bit.
Cloning was all the rage in the tech news so it was cool to see the comic being on the cutting edge.

TheRealDubya
11-14-2011, 12:34 AM
Liked the toy and the comic book representation... hated the shit in the cartoon.

RockColdSlither
11-14-2011, 04:09 AM
I loved the comic version of Serpentor. The cartoon version was a bit too campy for me. I think the cobra civil war and death of Serpentor was a great run in the comic. I also enjoyed the revamp that Devil's Due did with Serpentor.

Nemesis*Prime
11-14-2011, 05:23 AM
"Arise, Serpentor, Arise" was my introduction to G.I. Joe as a kid and I loved it, and of all the old Sunbow animated story arcs it is still my favorite. It was the beginning of when G.I. Joe caught my attention, and when I say G.I. Joe I mean COBRA. '86 introduced a lot of great new COBRA lieutenants, troops and vehicles, and the horror/sci-fi themes of Serpentor's introduction just sucked me in. To this day I think Serpentor is a better leader for COBRA then Cobra Commander ever was.

mrcobra
11-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Cobra Commanders my favourite character but i hate the cartoon version of Serpentor, more so than the cartoon Cobra Commander.I like the concept for him in the comics and it would be cool to get a realistic version of him but he just seems stupid and too honourable when compared with Cobra Commander i mean hes the leader of terrorist organization not a Roman Legion.

In my Joe verse he isn't really about ive thought about putting him in there but he wouldn't be much more than a battle field general or bodyguard.

darthdrew13
11-17-2011, 02:38 AM
Yup. Liked the idea of Serpentor, just the execution of the character after his into in the comics and the cartoon was lackluster. I loved his into in issue 49 and 50 of the Marvel comics and "Arise, Serpentor, Arise" was a cool mini-series. It seemed Serpentor lost a lot of his cool after the intros. Oh well. I can always create my own stories.