PDA

View Full Version : Ugh...So now I remember why I do not buy new toys off of Ebay

wolfrunner74
07-05-2008, 09:40 PM
So my impatience got the better of me and I ended up purchasing 25th Anniversary Gi Joes Wave 9: Snow Serpent and Hawk off of Ebay this afternoon. I should be ecstatic that I got two of my favorite childhood Gi Joes in 25th style, right? Well, it turns out that after shipping I paid 32 dollars for only two figures =(. Now I have this sick feeling in my stomach with buyer's remorse that I should've waited it out. What's even sad is that my brother, who's visiting from out-of-state, saw the entire Wave 9 set earlier in the day but passed on them because he's lost interest in collecting due personal reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I am totally glad I don't have to drive around town, wasting gas, looking for the only two figures that I want from this wave, but I essentially paid double of what Target is charging for their 25th Joes. The seller wanted to charge me an additional 5 dollars for insurance on top of spending 32 bucks for these; and I really wanted to insure them since I am a MOC collector, but paying 37 dollars for two Joes was way too hard for me to wrap my mind around, so I passed on the insurance since it was optional.

Anyhow, I hope this serves a reminder to me that I need to be patient when it comes to finding these hard-to-find 25th Joes. I just know, that knowing my luck, I am going to see these two figures in the next week or two sitting on pegs; and I will probably kick myself for it too. D'OH!!! Fortunately, I am moving to a small town where there is a Walmart and my brother who lives there always find the new waves of Joes in no time.

I will never buy new releases of toys off of Ebay again, I swear. Has anyone ever essentially done what I did today with newly, hot releases of any type of toy before? Please share so I can feel better with the damage I've done to my wallet =). Damn you Hasbro for making these 25th Anniversary Gi Joes so hard to find!

slim19722
07-05-2008, 09:45 PM
I was so tempted last night to get a comlpete set off ebay cuz there was nothing new of ANYTHING in my area, but I said I'd wait a few more days to see if they would show up at retail. Went looking this mornig and got a complete set, plus a extra Hawk & Storm Shadow.

Jism83
07-05-2008, 09:46 PM
i feel bad for the guy who paid $130 for 6 wave 9 figs. I bet he went to walmart the next day to get some toilet paper and saw them all on the pegs haha

cmderinchief
07-05-2008, 09:52 PM
heh heh....guess you had to learn the hard way. :D

evopete
07-05-2008, 09:52 PM
I fell the same way right now, as I paid 60 bucks for the Hiss, TB, and Cycle OPENED, for 68 shipped... I went to TRU and found two cases of Vehicals... I bought them, but I should have waited....

jeremywatts
07-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Dude I wish I knew these were so scarce. I just got the serp and the bat and left the rest today. I left all the other figs hanging because I scored a whole set yesterday. I could've got all the figs two more times today.

Syn3sthesia
07-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Patience man patience.

Flame Viper
07-05-2008, 10:26 PM
To be honest, I have bought several items off ebay myself. Most of which have been long since been considered new waves. Like recently I got a Crimson Guard and Arctic Snakes Eyes for about $17.00 shipped. I personally consider that a good buy because of the gas I saved to find them at retail.

And trust me, my retail stores closest have nothing new EVER it seems. And if they do scalpers and such find them first.

The only mistake I really made was when the Target Exclusives Vehicles went on E-bay. I overpaid for them. But I have them now, and the closest Target to me is over 100 miles, so I still think I did okay.

But I can feel for you man. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. At least you have the figures now. That is what is important.

And yes, I did over spend also on all the waves 1-6 plus 2 comic packs and all the five packs for about $400 shipped.

I know some have spend more I am sure.

minstrelboy
07-05-2008, 10:33 PM
That's why I always factor the shipping price into the auction price. If it's too much, it's too much, and not worth it.

Syn3sthesia
07-05-2008, 10:51 PM
That's why I always factor the shipping price into the auction price. If it's too much, it's too much, and not worth it.

See I do this too. I'd rather find them at retail

Sniper
07-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Well personally I just could not see myself spending $30+ on two of these figures. Even if it does save me gas..blah blah. I passed on Hawk and Ninja Ku the other night bacause the cards were bent. Went back the next night and they are gone.

This wave 9 is new and hot right now. In about 3-4 weeks, these will be old news. Just look at Major Bludd. People were paying $14+ plus shipping a few weeks after wave 8 came out. Now you can get him for half that and in some cases less.

Shogi
07-05-2008, 11:30 PM
I did the exact same thing with wave 8. I bought them off of a member for $10 each and the same day I sent my paypal payment, I found 2 sets of the entire wave at Wal-Mart

spazzy
07-05-2008, 11:36 PM
it is tough to wait for them from online stores, I sometimes get the "hunting fever" every couple weeks, but I still see very little and it holds me off for awhile longer. especially when you see almost everyone else has them it makes you want them, and now ith the prices from target at $7.99 it is ALMOST worth it to pay a buck or two extra, if I wasn't going to San Deigo Comic con in a couple weeks, I woul be all over the set of wave 9 at $70 shipped, even though if I wait for bbts I could get all six plus an extra SS and BAT for only $50 plus shipping!
I got to keep remembering patience!

Ruination04
07-05-2008, 11:39 PM
I am just about desperate to go to eBay myself....I just can't bring myself to pay double for these figures though...

Collecting Joes, well Cobra in my case, is a relatively inexpensive hobby for me. But when I have to resort to paying double the prices on eBay or BBTS, etc. it kinda takes the fun out of it. Looks like I will have to resort to eBay soon though....

chucktoys
07-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Dude same thing happend to me with snowjob and torped first of the year and to make it worse my boss found them the next night and the person i bought them from didn't send them for a month so I know how you fell. I gets better with time.

foor
07-06-2008, 12:07 AM
No regrets for me. They're not even available where I live, so ebay is one of my only options to get the harder to find figures.

ShakeZula77
07-06-2008, 12:26 AM
I have no choice but to go to online retailers and be patient. I would love to find wave 9 or 5,6,7,8 to bad I will never find them in my area. My wal-mart has had wave 4 and only wave 4 for 6 months.(no exaggeration Road-block, Scarlet, Destro, Cobra Commander, Gung-ho and all the crappy comic packs you could never want) There has not been any restocking of Joes since before X-mas. I'm losing my mind. I envy all of you who can shoot down the street and find new figures. I live in a small town in TN and if people don't buy these peg warmers they don't re-order. They have told me as much.

morgana08
07-06-2008, 12:34 AM
That's also how it is where I live. Plenty of Scarlet, Dukes, Roadblock, etc but nothing new. Online sources are about my only recourse sometimes. Though I also have a limit to what I'm willing to pay on E-bay, depending on how bad I want the figures. I did find Barbecue and Bazooka yesterday on E-bay for $7.00 each which I didn't think was too bad.

Sniper
07-06-2008, 12:42 AM
I have no choice but to go to online retailers and be patient. I would love to find wave 9 or 5,6,7,8 to bad I will never find them in my area. My wal-mart has had wave 4 and only wave 4 for 6 months.(no exaggeration Road-block, Scarlet, Destro, Cobra Commander, Gung-ho and all the crappy comic packs you could never want) There has not been any restocking of Joes since before X-mas. I'm losing my mind. I envy all of you who can shoot down the street and find new figures. I live in a small town in TN and if people don't buy these peg warmers they don't re-order. They have told me as much.

You will have to take matters into you own hands. I live in a small town with the only GI Joe retailer being WM thats opened from 6a-10p. The next retailer is about 40 miles away in a larger town/city. My WM had Wave 4 for months and no one bought them except me and I got all I needed. So, one day I bought them all (about 16 figures). I took them to the nearest WM and returned them. This allowed my local WM to order more. Since then, I have been able to find all the Waves about 5 days after I notice someone on here found the new Wave.

I don't know if people agree with me and I don't care. If it allows me to score the new figures, I'll keep doing it.

GI Kiwi
07-06-2008, 12:43 AM
I have to buy online as I live in New Zealand...I have a wave 9 case on order at BBTS and people looking for extra BATS and Serpents for me at retail and I still can't wait! I check ebay too but it's sooo expensive since they are new...I'm sure in a few weeks they'll be cheaper and easier to get like Vipers in wave 7

Sniper
07-06-2008, 12:50 AM
I'm sure in a few weeks they'll be cheaper and easier to get like Vipers in wave 7

Yeah, no kidding. I can even sell MOC Vipers for less than retail these days. I remember these being the new "got to have 50 of 'em figures".

ShakeZula77
07-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Dude I would have to buy like 30 wave 4 figures and at least 60 comic packs. First I'm not rich enough. Even if I returned them immediately. I guess if I did a little at a time. It's just to insane for me to even fathom. I know I'll get a cart load it up. Take it to the hardware department, and find the lighter fluid. Calmly start the greatest bonfire ever and carefully get out. Then maybe I could see some new Joes.

Overkill?

They might get the point!

If only I didn't mind going to prison.

karamazov80
07-06-2008, 12:54 AM
When wave 3 first came out, with shipping, I spent about 30 bucks for Zartan and Firefly off of eBay. They were my two favorite Cobras, though, and I didn't know how long it would take before the "hoarders" around here would get their fill, and would graciously allow me to have a couple.

It took a couple of months after that before I ran into either of those in the store, so ultimately, I feel that it was a good investment. However, after that, I learned that pre-ordering on BBTS was a good idea, and that has been my default option since then. With shipping there, it is about the same as retail, plus minimal waiting if you pre-order early.

With "hoarders" the way they still are here, that is the way to go for a more casual Joe shopper like myself (I look when I am at the Wal-Mart for other purposes, I don't typically make special trips to look for Joes).

GI Kiwi
07-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Yeah, no kidding. I can even sell MOC Vipers for less than retail these days. I remember these being the new "got to have 50 of 'em figures".

Yeah, I just gotta wait

wolfrunner74
07-06-2008, 01:54 PM
I have been reading all your guys' replies and I just want to say thanks guys and girls for all the encouraging words. It's nice to see that I am not the only impatient 25th Anniversary Gi Joe collector out there. Granted, I am sorry to everyone of us that lost a lot of money to scalpers due to our impatience; however, at least we got, or will be getting, the figures that we wanted with ease from our keyboards and internet connections.

Actually, in retrospect, I should've just bought Snow Serpent instead of both Snow Serpent and Hawk. Snow Serpent is my all time favorite cobra figure and he was worth getting for 13.50 to ensure that I would have him; with Copperhead coming in a close second. I had Hawk as a kid, as well; however, I could've waited to find him in the stores or when some time went by and I could've got him for cheap on ebay. In fact, after reading some of your replies, that's probably what i'll do if I miss out on a wave, or a hard-to-find figure that I want from now on. I'll just wait a month or so, once the 'newness' dies out and then I'll just buy them off of ebay when people are desperate to unload them and they're not in such high demand. LOL!

Thanks again guys and gals, I really appreciate the kindness in all of your posts =).

Crimson Rage
07-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Just be thankful Ebay wasn't your only source for Joes like we poor foreigners!! At least, until a few kind souls here started to fix me up with goodies anyway!:)

coola784
07-06-2008, 02:12 PM
if it makes you feel any better , when i first got back into collecting last year i baught a wolf and tiger shark from guru planet and paid 40$ for each one. i got them and they were in horrible shape!

i was pissed and would never buy from guru planet again but mabe other people have had better exspirences from them but thats why now when i buy off ebay i alweys wait it out untill i can get some kind of deal. it pays to be patient. i just got a hydrofoil in really nice conditon for 25.00 with shipping. theres nothing broken, its 100% complete and all the stickers are in nice shape as well. lucky me!

Amberbratt
07-06-2008, 02:13 PM

lol i looooooove it

vipers = cheap for Amberbratt

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Captain Hydra
07-06-2008, 02:23 PM
I once bought Buzzer off of ebay. Now eveytime I go into a store there he is taunting me.

wolfrunner74
07-06-2008, 02:32 PM
I once bought Buzzer off of ebay. Now eveytime I go into a store there he is taunting me.

Ouch...that's gotta sting! =/

Amberbratt
07-06-2008, 02:32 PM

i bought the lady jaye wave for like umm

i think it was 60$ shipped...

who was in the wave??

this was back before hisstank and before I knew how easy it would to to 'find these'

and back before i started spending 500$ a month a toys again

*sigh*

everytime i see the lady jaye with a hat I want to kick her in the face.

wolfrunner74
07-06-2008, 02:39 PM
everytime i see the lady jaye with a hat I want to kick her in the face.

LOL...you're funny Amber Bratt! =P

Quick_Kick
07-08-2008, 01:50 PM
I've used eBay to acquire a wave 1 Flint, which ran me about 37 dollars w/shipping. I feel like it was a good deal considering I didn't start collecting until wave 6. Deals always come down to what you feel comfortable paying, one person may differ from the next!

GunghosLipHair
07-08-2008, 01:55 PM
i used to army build with ebays help, but now i find trading is much easier and beneficial for everyone

morgana08
07-08-2008, 07:00 PM
I just used E-bay to find Hawk, Bazooka and Barbecue. That was before I discovered how easy BBTS could be. *hits self in forehead* Of course, I'm still waiting on them to actually show up.

Fingers
07-09-2008, 01:16 AM
I caved today and bought Hawk and BBQ on ebay, found a couple of good auctions with free shipping. Im just really worried these wont show up around here, only 2 cases came out this weekend and I got 1 fig from them. Wave 8 hit very lightly here too and I was lucky to put a full set together. But now wave 7 is overflowing so who knows if wave 9 will be sometime shortly. If so I can always use 10 bats like I have vipers now.

code_red_shockwave
07-09-2008, 04:33 PM
The distribution does end up an issue for some figures in my area. I have bid on a total of three auctions for 25th Anniversary figures. The first auction was for a Firefly/SS Comic-pack. I bought it for $20 and I don't think that's too bad since I gave up the two figures to someone else and got a pretty good trade out of it. The second was for a lot of comic pack figures(9 2-packs) loose and while I don't remember the price, I remember that it ended up about $3 per figure and all were complete. The third one was for two customs that I bought for $15. While I am unsure if I would go buy any more on ebay, it looks like most are too expensive to get nowadays.

fred V
07-09-2008, 06:15 PM
So my impatience got the better of me and I ended up purchasing 25th Anniversary Gi Joes Wave 9: Snow Serpent and Hawk off of Ebay this afternoon. I should be ecstatic that I got two of my favorite childhood Gi Joes in 25th style, right? Well, it turns out that after shipping I paid 32 dollars for only two figures =(. Now I have this sick feeling in my stomach with buyer's remorse that I should've waited it out. What's even sad is that my brother, who's visiting from out-of-state, saw the entire Wave 9 set earlier in the day but passed on them because he's lost interest in collecting due personal reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I am totally glad I don't have to drive around town, wasting gas, looking for the only two figures that I want from this wave, but I essentially paid double of what Target is charging for their 25th Joes. The seller wanted to charge me an additional 5 dollars for insurance on top of spending 32 bucks for these; and I really wanted to insure them since I am a MOC collector, but paying 37 dollars for two Joes was way too hard for me to wrap my mind around, so I passed on the insurance since it was optional.

Anyhow, I hope this serves a reminder to me that I need to be patient when it comes to finding these hard-to-find 25th Joes. I just know, that knowing my luck, I am going to see these two figures in the next week or two sitting on pegs; and I will probably kick myself for it too. D'OH!!! Fortunately, I am moving to a small town where there is a Walmart and my brother who lives there always find the new waves of Joes in no time.

I will never buy new releases of toys off of Ebay again, I swear. Has anyone ever essentially done what I did today with newly, hot releases of any type of toy before? Please share so I can feel better with the damage I've done to my wallet =). Damn you Hasbro for making these 25th Anniversary Gi Joes so hard to find!if it makes you feel any better,way back in february, i
bought a battle armor cc for $25.00 plus shipping,and that january,i bought a whole case of the force unleashed figs for $120,only to find the whole wave in store about a month later,talk about kicking your own ass!!