PDA

View Full Version : Preview For Cobra #2

Shin Densetsu
06-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Cobra #2 Preview - GI Joe News (http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/comics-8/cobra-2-preview-10474/)
http://cdn.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/attach/4/2/0/1/1/COBRA_02_Preview-1_1308635176.jpg
Cobra #2 Preview

dorian247
06-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Ok well given how the recent IDW stuff has been I feel like I should write off Breaker and Steeler right now. If would be nice if they make it through and at least one of these other random characters did as well then we would get a chance for some original character development.

The death of a random non-ARAH joe can still carry as much weight as one of our classic characters if done correctly. Does anyone remember Cool-Breeze from the Marvel series? I hope I am wrong and Breaker and Steeler make it out of this one.

Barbecue51
06-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Yeah I'm not a fan of the pointless deaths either.

EdWLilly
06-21-2011, 02:04 PM
I don't see it as pointless deaths. Their joes just none that r familiar to the fans. Idw dosent want to cause trouble like devilsdue did with killing off ladyjaye. How many people moaned and groaned that they were doing it for shock value. Besides if memeroy serves me right they killed bbq almost every ninja the joes had so not like all r meant to b forgotten.

Trooper13
06-21-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm still loving the story, but the art is getting worse. It seems even more rushed in this issue. Half of the Serpentor scenes look like stills from cheap animation instead of static at in a book that costs 3.99. The story has been topnotch, but with the art getting steadily worse, it's getting hard to pay that 3.99. :/

IIIzoeIII
06-21-2011, 08:03 PM
I think they should take just a little more time on the art before they publish this stuff.....I'm being serious not being mean.

GI Joe resolute looks way better than this and it was animated 1,000s of cells and this is just a few squares on a page....

I remember when comics used to be worth the buy...jim lee days...even eric larson and andy kubert

I have seen a few um...squadron supreme I think.. that have blown me away...wouldn't you guys rather just wait longer to have better books if you could, or would you rather just have a load of content that looks quite horrid?...
I find the whole situation sad...GI Joe is such a cool thing to see this way....Wry save us!!! haha

IIIzoeIII
06-21-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm glad ppl are addressing this issue and not sweeping it under the rug.
there are far too many of us out here that can draw really well and us taking a back seat to this is insane...we could give the fans a much better looking product. comics are a visual feast if not they may as well just be regular books with no art at all. can I get an amen?

Rockshield
06-21-2011, 09:26 PM
WOW the artwork is REALLY sucking ass! No way Id pick up this trash. reminds me of DD's Master & Apprentice 2

cobracommander1
06-21-2011, 09:38 PM
the artwork is not the best, but it is no where near as bad as Master and Apprentice 2.

I still cannot determine Serpentor's race. Is he white, black, asian? It seems to change with every issue and no one seems to notice.

Story is intersting, but moving at the pace of a snail. I like the idea of running 3 books, but how is it that Helix appears in both the main series and in Snake-Eyes book at the same time. Seriously, I get that they want to push a new character and I am all for it, but not at the expense of the story.

Also, I much prefer the Devil's Due version of Firewall. Blaylock must be ticked off to see his character drawn this way.

Trooper13
06-21-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm glad ppl are addressing this issue and not sweeping it under the rug.
there are far too many of us out here that can draw really well and us taking a back seat to this is insane...we could give the fans a much better looking product. comics are a visual feast if not they may as well just be regular books with no art at all. can I get an amen?

I have to agree. Honestly, as a fan of spy fiction and someone who likes to read the story in the Cobra series could easily work as a series of novellas. I love seeing the Joes in comic format, but not with bad, lazy, or rushed art. It's really disappointing. The Snake Eyes book had much better art, and while it's story was a decent Joe story, it's nowhere near the tales that are being told in Cobra. This story deserves to be told from an artistic standpoint, and it deserves to either have it's artwork given the talent and attention it deserves or just move it to pure prose. Of all the books IDW puts out, this one should be getting the most resources thrown at it simply because it's telling a relevant and compelling story. Sad.

cobracommander1
06-21-2011, 09:39 PM
ps: Croc Master looks AWESOME!!!

PitViper
06-21-2011, 09:45 PM
ps: Croc Master looks AWESOME!!!

Haven't bought anything Joe/Comic related since DDP's Master and Apprentice and I'm buying this solely based on cover art...I'm a CM fan.

I guess I'll buy the one before it fill myself in a bit.

Weezus
06-21-2011, 09:48 PM
which of us is gonna custom that croc master first?

and who cares who dies? seriously??? its a comic.

if i wrote it id kill every character in the whole thing because thats how i played with my toys. everybody died at the end.

666Werecat
06-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Disgusting artwork. I work in an art based industry, if any one from our business let something equal to the quality of this leave our shops they would fired. No excuse for how bad it is.

Iron Claw
06-22-2011, 01:11 AM
This sounds very interesting.

ucsf
06-22-2011, 04:50 AM
the artwork is not the best, but it is no where near as bad as Master and Apprentice 2.

I still cannot determine Serpentor's race. Is he white, black, asian? It seems to change with every issue and no one seems to notice.

Story is intersting, but moving at the pace of a snail. I like the idea of running 3 books, but how is it that Helix appears in both the main series and in Snake-Eyes book at the same time. Seriously, I get that they want to push a new character and I am all for it, but not at the expense of the story.

Also, I much prefer the Devil's Due version of Firewall. Blaylock must be ticked off to see his character drawn this way.

Serpentor is Menasian lol

Well.. the new names of fodder joes are a bit silly.. Knuckles after the first cobra series..

I like how they try to expand the whole spiritual leader stuff and with this "man inside" twist, it can be good. And the artwork is getting lazy, as you guys already said it.

PROVOST
06-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Looks like I am not missing a damn thing by not getting this comic series.

Jay West
06-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Looks like I am not missing a damn thing by not getting this comic series.

This is a great comic. The art is off, but the story rocks. One of the reasons Costas should be writing the main title. I wish IDW would put Costas and Atkins on the main book.

Jinx723
06-22-2011, 07:52 PM
I wish IDW would put Costas and Atkins on the main book.

Oh my god, that would be awesome. Even for a story arc, heck a stand alone (issue) story with this team would rock.

Stormgard
06-27-2011, 05:02 PM
I like the artwork overall actually. What I don't like is these new made up cannon fodder Joes. They should at the very least be given more distinctive outfits rather than all show up in basic black tactical gear almost indistinguisable from Blackout.

If they are going to introduce a bunch of new Joes I think the best way to do it would be to let us get to know them for an issue or two, before they start taking casualties. But keep aybe 25% of them alive and those that survive can become a new generaion of main line Joe chararcters. That way, we would become a little more attached to the new characters and we care more when they die, and after they start surviving we start gunning for them and hoping our favorite ones will make it through.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

I was confused what happened at the end. Did everyone die except Steeler, or everyone except Breaker? Because Croc Master claims five kills, and the Joe team was a six man team.

Breakerfan
06-27-2011, 05:18 PM
I was confused as well. They put in a bunch of new joes and then killed them. The art is so bad I could not tell any of the joes apart and had no idea who was getting killed. Overall, I like the story line in the cobra book, but the art is really making it less pleasurable to read than the other books.

Also, didn't Croc Master get killed earlier in the cobra series?

Stormgard
06-28-2011, 10:45 AM
I think he got stabbed by a katana. Guess he survived - he's clearly a pretty tough guy. I love his new look BTW.

Breakerfan
06-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Speaking of stabbing, why did Blacklight cut himself?