PDA

View Full Version : What to buy?

omega145
06-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi Everyone!

I've been collecting Transformers and Marvel/DC for a few months now and have been resisting the temptation to start collecting GI Joe's for the past month. Needless to say I have since picked up a few of the newer Joe figures while I was out on the toy hunt for things I normally do collect. I was always a fan of GI Joe growing up and unfortunately like most, had my huge childhood GI Joe collection thrown in the trash or sold for a quarter a piece at a garage sale. I think it is time for me to pick up a few of the newer figures and im now kicking myself because I'm sure I could have scored big time when I was at the NJCC but I was only looking at other stuff that I had already started collecting.

It first started by me finding a ROC Destro for 94 cents. After that I picked up a couple of Snake Eyes at TRU and picked up a ROC Desert Viper, ROC Snake Eyes City Strike and a Counter Intelligance at Marshalls for only 4 bucks each. I guess you can tell who my favorite GI Joe character always was.
Heres a pic of my very small collection so far:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h21/omega145/Collection/IMG_1531.jpg

I have a lot of Marvel Universe figures and I've noticed that these new Joe figures come with a lot of accessories which the MU do not and that has also given me a good feeling on picking up a few of these GI Joe's and starting a small collection.

What other newer style GI Joe's should I be looking at and are there other figures that I might be interested in? I've heard nothing but awesome things about low-light (dont want to spend 20 bucks on him now) but have not heard much else on any other particular figure.

Thanks for reading and any comments or help would be appreciated.

Unclassified
06-14-2011, 07:44 PM
dude, get the 25th shit, it's remakes of the ones we had as kids, and you can score em cheap now a days on ebay..

luigi
06-14-2011, 07:45 PM
i guess destro
just kidding i know it's SE

Unclassified
06-14-2011, 07:52 PM
snakes eyes, lou..

omega145
06-14-2011, 07:58 PM
No, it's the Fridge! :)
I'll have to check out the 25th on eBay and see if I can find some cheap stuff.
Any other Joe's on that same level as detail and cool accessories like Low Light?

SonOfMindbender
06-14-2011, 08:16 PM
I would start with the 25th as stated above. eBay will be your best bet in catching up with past waves. Keep your eyes open if you drive past a Marshall's or Ross, you can normally score 1 or 2 figures there as well. There are some ROC tie-ins you may like but that's a matter of personal preference. Some Big Lots still have some 25th comic 2 packs as well.

omega145
06-14-2011, 08:23 PM
I've noticed the comic packs at big lots but havent seen anything that I really liked. Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross are all on my stop list usually anyway because of the other toy lines that I collect and have started looking for Joes there.
Thanks for everyones input so far.

CobraVirus
06-14-2011, 08:28 PM
You should buy all my stuff.

crock master
06-14-2011, 08:33 PM
dont forget your childhood memories. getting those old toys you had as a kid is the best place to start

dayglojoe
06-14-2011, 08:46 PM
I would go with 25th items for back stuff and grab the new stuff as it comes out

Darth Awgmon
06-14-2011, 08:52 PM
No, it's the Fridge! :)
I'll have to check out the 25th on eBay and see if I can find some cheap stuff.
Any other Joe's on that same level as detail and cool accessories like Low Light?

You need to keep checking your walmart for POC wave 5. The Cobra Trooper, Steel Brigade Trooper, Jungle BAT, Hawk, Blowtorch, and Cobra Commander are all awesome. All are very detailed and come with a shitload of accessories. As far as the 25th stuff goes...you need all of it. I've been into action figures for over 30 years, and the 25th/Modern Era Joe line is my favorite line.

SoCalKid
06-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Oh, man. Good luck with just buying a few. Once you start and realize how great the detail and the new articulation is (and continues to improve), you're going to be hooked. Welcome to your new addiction.

Jekyll
06-14-2011, 09:54 PM
If you grew up with Joe & Transformers you might have also collected M.A.S.K. and if so, you also might be interested to know they did a Joe of Matt Trakker for the 25th (much to the ire of some folks on here) which is actually what brought me into the fold. Great to see that old toyline get a little modern love. Plus, backpack helicopter! :D

Definitely be sure to check out the Resolute stuff. They're not all winners but the ones that are are totally worth tracking down and can be picked up pretty cheap. The Boxsets are on sale at BBTS right now.

As others have said, the 25th stuff is a nice place to start if you have memories of certain figures you'd like to recapture. Seeing the vintage style art on Sgt. Flash (my first Joe in the 80's) nearly choked me up. Just a fantastic tribute to our childhoods.

Nostalgia aside however, you really can't go wrong with just about anything with POC on the card. Head over to GeneralsJoes.com for some great reviews and pics to help inform your buying decisions. That's what I've been doing and they haven't steered me wrong yet.

nelly54ram
06-14-2011, 09:58 PM
too bad you were not in this mind frame during the holidays....TJ Maxx and Marshalls were overflowing with 25th and ROC figures and vehicles. They were dirt cheap like 2 bucks a pop....but good luck hunting em down...I'd say keep checking Marshalls and those stores and may stumble upon a nice haul....

OSOK
06-14-2011, 10:26 PM
25th/modern era stuff is the bees knees

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/osok2000/bees-knees-by-sharron-caudill-northern-soul-tattoo-liverpool-uk.jpg

omega145
06-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Yea Ill keep checking the local stores and see what I can find on the forums and eBay. I'm watching a few 25th lots on eBay as we speak.

I do remember M.A.S.K.! Funny that you mention that, I still have that orange stinger car sitting in a bucket of some loose older toys that I still have left over and forgot what it was from.
Thanks for the reminder!

Anyone, please feel free to PM me if you have Joe's that I might like or figure lots to start off my collection.

omega145
06-15-2011, 11:39 AM
I was just sniped on this 25th lot, anyone have a similar lot for sale?
GI Joe 25th anniversary Lot 21 figures - eBay (item 290575678700 end time Jun-15-11 08:27:44 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290575678700&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:US:1123)

UKJoeCollector
06-15-2011, 01:08 PM
For me its got to be the originals. Id buy ME figures if rare and/or cheap but its the nostalgia of the old ones. The new ones are cool toys, but I dont have any memories off playing with them as a kid, so theyre just an investment or part of a collection.

You can build up a large collection of these very quickly too. At the moment there are lots of bulk lots very cheap on ebay.

Starfighter
06-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi Everyone!

I've been collecting Transformers and Marvel/DC for a few months now and have been resisting the temptation to start collecting GI Joe's for the past month. Needless to say I have since picked up a few of the newer Joe figures while I was out on the toy hunt for things I normally do collect. I was always a fan of GI Joe growing up and unfortunately like most, had my huge childhood GI Joe collection thrown in the trash or sold for a quarter a piece at a garage sale. I think it is time for me to pick up a few of the newer figures and im now kicking myself because I'm sure I could have scored big time when I was at the NJCC but I was only looking at other stuff that I had already started collecting.

It first started by me finding a ROC Destro for 94 cents. After that I picked up a couple of Snake Eyes at TRU and picked up a ROC Desert Viper, ROC Snake Eyes City Strike and a Counter Intelligance at Marshalls for only 4 bucks each. I guess you can tell who my favorite GI Joe character always was.

I have a lot of Marvel Universe figures and I've noticed that these new Joe figures come with a lot of accessories which the MU do not and that has also given me a good feeling on picking up a few of these GI Joe's and starting a small collection.

What other newer style GI Joe's should I be looking at and are there other figures that I might be interested in? I've heard nothing but awesome things about low-light (dont want to spend 20 bucks on him now) but have not heard much else on any other particular figure.

If you want an instant Cobra Army, here is my link up for Auction for 109 Cobra figures and 1 Joe figure. It ends tomorrow morning. Just trying to help:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l270/tkjaer21/Cobra3.jpg

GI Joe Cobra Lot of 110 ROC POC 25th CON Exclusives | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/GI-Joe-Cobra-Lot-110-ROC-POC-25th-CON-Exclusives-/170653336342?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bbbb4316#ht_500wt_1139)

vapor
06-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Get a poc alley viper it's an amazing fig also if u can find a steel brigade or the new infantry viper I recommend those as well.

omega145
06-15-2011, 01:36 PM
I hear ya on the nostalgic of collecting the older figures but I'm going to stick with picking up the newer figures. I like how they display a lot better and 99% of all of my other collections are all opened and on display.

Wow thats an insane lot but I dont have $500 to spend now on GI Joe's at the moment.

Reymarkable
06-15-2011, 05:06 PM
i would jus pick up the poc line...if u can find any if not order some online thru hasbrotoyshop to get u started. if u see army builders...immediately get those. ex shock troop or alley viper. if u happen to stumble on 25th aniiversary fig at marhsalls or ross...get them as well.

NCR_Ranger92
06-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Hi Everyone!

Nice find bro.

ero
06-15-2011, 05:20 PM
dude, get the 25th shit, it's remakes of the ones we had as kids, and you can score em cheap now a days on ebay..

Yeah, really the way to go. And you could probably go PoC Croc Master, Viper, Crazy Legs, Cobra Trooper, Blowtorch and Steel Brigade and suddenly have yourself a nice little ARAH-style collection with good quality stuff that's fairly attainable right now at retail.

A word of advice from someone who started collecting during the beginning of Rise of Cobra: Go for quality over quantity. If nostalgia is what you're after, then pursue good deals on 25th stuff online and forgo most of the stuff at retail right now. I bought waaaaaay too much Rise of Cobra before figuring out that really what I wanted was the Xamot/Tomax comic pack, Alpine, Quick Kick, etc. ...

Welcome back to Joes. You'll be dropping Transformers in no time. ;)

X-factorz
06-15-2011, 05:37 PM
I would Say HoH Storm Shadow, Zartan, B.A.T., and Firefly (or the ROC TRU exclusive Firefly) if you are looking for great versions of original characters. Beachhead, Duke (Jungle Strike), and Spirit in the POC line are also great figures!

Shipshape1983
06-15-2011, 10:12 PM
I dont understand why you need to collect Joes....

Just because you collect marvel U, and transformers.....I dont understand how this would lead to Joes.

I collect Joes for the most part exclusively, but thats it.
This didnt make me want to start collecting anything else at all.

sounds to me like you just feel the need to buy stuff.

I dont even go out and buy all the new Joe figures either, just the ones I like.

If your fav dude is Snake Eyes though, why not just focus on him? If you want to start collecting for nostalgia sake, just stick to the dudes you liked as a kid.

omega145
06-15-2011, 10:32 PM
I never said that I NEED to collect Joe's. I was simply stating what I currently collect and have always liked GI Joe and have started to become interested in the newer line of figures. Collecting Transformers is what got me back into toy collecting which led to Marvel and now GI Joe. I enjoyed all of these when I was a kid and still enjoy them all.

I am asking what to buy to find out what is out there and what the knowledgable fans and collectors on this forum deem to be the best figures as far as detail/accessories and just flat out coolness to get.

allen dane
06-15-2011, 10:33 PM
I dont understand why you need to collect Joes....

Just because you collect marvel U, and transformers.....I dont understand how this would lead to Joes.

sounds like he likes toys, and joes are the best toys ever made.

omega145
06-16-2011, 06:52 AM
That's true Allen, I do like toys and have become fond of the GI Joe brand just like when I was a kid. Thanks for the comments as shipshapes comments were a little unnecessary as I'm only trying to support GI Joe collecting at this point.

ero
06-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Hey, omega, this is actually a pretty good deal on figures that hit all the right notes:

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-buy-sell-trade/35236-help-me-pay-my-6th-anny-sideshow-25th-poc-tf-sw-more-pics-added-6-16-a.html

Those Vipers make it worth it, as I believe they are the chrome faced version with the better hands (the first 25th release had terrible hands that made it very hard for them to hold anything naturally).

If you've got the scratch, go for it! And he's a reputable Tanker, too, so you can trust him on a deal.

omega145
06-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the link Ero. That lot is really nice and i'll consider it. I've picked up a few Joe's off of eBay recently and found the 12" Cobra soldier at Marshalls for 5 bucks.

evopete
06-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Start with 25th Items and go from there.... ROC and POC are cool but if you want nostalga you need the 25th stuff.