PDA

View Full Version : Questions Paint or Dye.

Beckley
06-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Who here has dyed figures instead of painting them?
How would I go about dyeing Neo Viper heads black?
Just dump em' all in a bucket full of Rit?
Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks

thealleyviper
06-07-2011, 04:51 PM
I haven't tried dyeing plastics, but I have tried to dye fabrics. I don't think a dye would stick too well, because the plastic isn't porous enough. It would probably take many tries to get the depth of color that you want.

starwarsgeek
06-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Dye works, but it's often not a permanent solution. Your best bet is to heat up some water on the stove, not boiling but simmering hot, add the dye and then soak the pieces you want dyed in there for about 20 minutes or so. It will come off when you touch it for a little while after, but not all of it will come off.

However, over time the dye will be absorbed into the plastic and the original color will show through.

I've used dye as a 'base' coat, to give something a different color before I painted it, but other than that dye is pretty much not good.

gunfighter77
06-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Dyeing - JCWiki (http://wiki.joecustoms.com/wiki/Dyeing)

an in depth analysis of all you need to dye joes.

good luck.

RATFINK
06-07-2011, 05:36 PM
im going to say Both =)

ArbcoCeo
06-07-2011, 05:44 PM
I've worked with dye before and it works pretty well. I've mostly used it to die things black, but I also successfully turned a blue Snake Eyes green using yellow dye. I've had better luck with the plastic Joes are made from than with Star Wars Figs, but they still take to it pretty well. Always add plenty of salt to the water, mix the dye and bring it to a boil. Any torsos that you've split or thighs that you've separated should be put back together so they don't warp. Use a sieve to keep parts off the bottom of the pot or they'll warp. Let the dye cool to a low simmer and add your pieces. Keep an eye on it and check on it regularly to see how its coming along and nothing is warping. When you are checking on the color rinse off excess dye to get a truer look at how dark it is. When you've achieved the color you want remove the parts and rinse them in cold water and then throw in an ice bath for a few minutes and, rinse them one last time and you should be good.

Beckley
06-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys!
I only want to dye some neo viper heads, so I don't have to worry splitting torsos, thighs, or any of that stuff.

You think dyeing something that is originally silver, black will look ok?

Lt. Faceless
06-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys!
I only want to dye some neo viper heads, so I don't have to worry splitting torsos, thighs, or any of that stuff.

You think dyeing something that is originally silver, black will look ok?

Thats hard to say.I've dyed Sigma 6 Firefly black and his silver pads turned a darker silver.Also,for some reason.The lowerlegs don't take black dye to good.

This I Command!
06-08-2011, 12:32 AM
I have done this in the past. The way that I have the best results is to dye the part multiple times, boiling water, long soaks in the dye, wipe off excess.

Eventually this will build up a really strong quality base, but still isn't quote opaque enough to my liking, so then I would take some Citadel black paint, and apply 1 or sometimes 2 very thing coats just to get that deep black where it looks totally solid.

If you do it right it will look almost factory. Sometimes it gives a cool effect to leave a little of the undercoat showing through, almost like it's marbleized.

the odinson
06-08-2011, 12:33 AM
if it's just heads, why not paint?

jestermon
06-09-2011, 07:15 AM
Just get a jar of Testors Acrylic Model Masters flat or gloss black and a brush.

Cleans up with water no thinner needed.

Sometimes faster than others it gets unscratchable.

Dying is a stinky time consuming process that you can't know how it's going to turn out.

Warped the parts I needed.

W.O. leroy
06-09-2011, 07:25 AM

This man, seriously I've used dyeing before and while I swear by it for doing joints and colouring a whole figure you would be better off painting your heads, just use a clear coat sealer over the top to protect the paint.

Beckley
06-09-2011, 09:39 AM

Just get a jar of Testors Acrylic Model Masters flat or gloss black and a brush.

Cleans up with water no thinner needed.

Sometimes faster than others it gets unscratchable.

Dying is a stinky time consuming process that you can't know how it's going to turn out.

Warped the parts I needed.

Yeah, I think I'll paint them, I just never dyed anything before, and I thought it might be easier or cleaner, doesn't sound like it will be though.

Kaedryl
06-09-2011, 11:46 AM
If you want the best of both worlds, and you're looking to color them black, head to an autoparts store and pick up a can of black vinyl dye. Will bond better to the plastic than paint, but comes in a spray can so easy to apply like paint. Multiple thin coats and you're golden.

Beckley
06-09-2011, 03:08 PM
If you want the best of both worlds, and you're looking to color them black, head to an autoparts store and pick up a can of black vinyl dye. Will bond better to the plastic than paint, but comes in a spray can so easy to apply like paint. Multiple thin coats and you're golden.

Thank you sir, I think I might give that a try!

Gargoyle
06-09-2011, 03:42 PM
I used to paint Games Workshop miniatures and models, and I use the same technique to my Joes-
1st, I spray a light coat of Testors Dull Cote- this helps fix any future paint or ink.
Next, I use Games Workshop acrylic paints for base color, inks for shading, and paints again for fine drybrushing or picking out details.
Finally I spray Dull Cote on as a protector.

Or to keep it simple- spray Dull Cote, use inks instead of dye, and leave it at that!

BUT! (caveat here) I have no idea how it stands up to play, since I then pose them and leave them alone... Good luck!