PDA

View Full Version : Discussion non GI joe playsets that REALLLY STINK!

arthurdent
05-11-2011, 06:45 PM
This was on the topless robot website... This pile of manure is the new Thundercats Tower of Omens playset. It comes with a clear thundercat figure with a magnet inside that triggers sound chips in the sections, as well as an elevator and slide... And this is all there is of it. What playsets have you seen or know of that are this bad? I can't imagine ANYBODY buying this for their kid or any customizer buying this when it goes into the bargain bin at the store.

sharky
05-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Fuck clear Lion-o! In before the merge.

Xenos
05-11-2011, 06:51 PM
That is pretty terrible. I really don't know why any company other then Hasbro even bothers to try and make 4" figures. They are all just so awful.

starbuck
05-11-2011, 06:55 PM
I find this playset both shallow and pedantic.

sharky
05-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Huh ho!

JoeMama
05-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Van Helsing's Castle Dracula... a cheap pile of manneur.. Biff Tanner grade.

Ctrl_Z
05-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Van Helsing's Castle Dracula... a cheap pile of manneur.. Biff Tanner grade.

Idk who or what biff tanner is, but that set could be used as a back drop for dio photos. Castle Destro entrance?

sharky
05-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Idk who or what biff tanner is, but that set could be used as a back drop for dio photos. Castle Destro entrance?
He's a guy that really hates manure. It cost him 300 bucks damage to his car cause of that son of a bitch Calvin Klein.

RolandofGilead
05-11-2011, 07:37 PM

Biff was the villain of most of Back to the Future movies (his ancestor Bufford Tanner was the villain for BttF III).

I actually think the Van Helsing Castle looks very cool. I'd like one for Dr. Doom's palace.

arthurdent
05-11-2011, 07:40 PM
who makes the van helsing castle?

M_renegade
05-11-2011, 07:42 PM
I don't see it as terrible.
Is not pretty, that's for sure, but a customizer can easily make something out of it.
That clear Tygra is going to ne difficult to get for collectors, tho.

facehammer
05-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Tower of boring.

arthurdent
05-11-2011, 07:47 PM
I don't see it as terrible.
Is not pretty, that's for sure, but a customizer can easily make something out of it.

If you CAN do something with this, please post an idea or two... otherwise it's a waste of money.

facehammer
05-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Of course they will put this out, it will sell like crap and it will further the notion for toy companies that 'playsets don't sell'. They are right though. Crappy playsets don't sell.
Hasbro has been saying this for Star Wars since the relaunch. All of those playsets have been total crap...

Rebelscum.com: Star Wars Revenge of the Sith Photo Archives (http://www.rebelscum.com/ROTS05mustafar.asp)

Crap.

Rebelscum.com: Star Wars Episode I Photo Archives (http://www.rebelscum.com/episodeItheedgenerator.asp)

Crap.

Rebelscum.com: Star Wars Episode I Photo Archives (http://www.rebelscum.com/episodeItheedhangar.asp)

I see a pattern here. Crap.

This is probably the coolest modern Star Wars playset:

Rebelscum.com: Star Wars Power of the Jedi Photo Archives (http://www.rebelscum.com/potjcarbonitechamber.asp)

And it wasn't sold in stores. Fan Club exclusive.

Ugh...

RolandofGilead
05-11-2011, 07:51 PM
I disagree as I like all those Star Wars playsets.

Ctrl_Z
05-11-2011, 07:54 PM
He's a guy that really hates manure. It cost him 300 bucks damage to his car cause of that son of a bitch Calvin Klein.

Biff was the villain of most of Back to the Future movies (his ancestor Bufford Tanner was the villain for BttF III).

I actually think the Van Helsing Castle looks very cool. I'd like one for Dr. Doom's palace.

.... Are you guys talking about Biff TANNEN?

facehammer
05-11-2011, 07:58 PM

I wanted to like them... They just don't feel sturdy to me.

Superion
05-11-2011, 08:00 PM
When I saw the price point I knew it was going to be a disappointment.

RolandofGilead
05-11-2011, 08:00 PM

You are correct.

Dragasses
05-11-2011, 08:04 PM
heh.

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
05-11-2011, 08:06 PM
The recent Star Trek sets come to mind as bad....I mean great for customizers, but as is and as a playset...awful.

I mean that bridge was a playmat and parts....it reminded me of the old PlayDoh Death Star playset.

I swear as an novice costumizer and a long time fan of both Joe and Trek even at the amazing prices of places like Big Lots and Family Dollar I STILL couldn't pull the trigger on those sets....what does that say?

sharky
05-11-2011, 08:35 PM
No I was talking about the other Biff...um...yeah...the one that processed leather. :D

sharky
05-11-2011, 08:38 PM
I swear as an novice costumizer and a long time fan of both Joe and Trek even at the amazing prices of places like Big Lots and Family Dollar I STILL couldn't pull the trigger on those sets....what does that say?
It says you are not a true collector. :D

JediKnutt
05-11-2011, 09:05 PM
There was going to be a very cool ice cave playset for the Golden Compass line. What stinks about it is....it was never released. Not enough retailers ordered it. The movie sucked, the toy line tanked , so I guess retailers had it right. I would have bought at least two of them though.

gn0s1s
05-11-2011, 09:57 PM
*cough*RoC Mobile Command Center*cough*

Vanguard
05-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Tower of Omens? C'mon!!! They better put out a Cat's Lair later down the line!

luigi
05-11-2011, 10:27 PM
*cough*RoC Mobile Command Center*cough*

that joe dude
also gutting the thing makes it better

M_renegade
05-11-2011, 10:37 PM
If you CAN do something with this, please post an idea or two... otherwise it's a waste of money.

Again, it's not pretty or cool. It justdoesn't looks bad.

That big cat head can be modified easily into a big serpent head with some snading down, paint and sculpt.
The tower itself loos somewhat organic, it reminds me of the bio towers of Cobra La.
The clear Tygra is cool cos you can sell it loose to get back some cash lol

I like them too. For someone that doesn't customize it's a cool way to display your SW figs.

Thunderlips
05-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Any playset made for Weebles!

toolrocks302
05-11-2011, 10:51 PM

Lmao. That made me laugh, thank you. Love Family Guy.

Shipshape1983
05-11-2011, 11:31 PM
I have the Van Helsing castle playset. and you can place the peices from the deluxe figures on it too.

If I rememebr right....Dracula's coffin, the monster's lab table and the lightning machine that came with Van Helsing.

All in all, a cool piece. and its made by Jakks pacific.

arthurdent
05-11-2011, 11:53 PM
[QUOTE=M_renegade;2534345]Again, it's not pretty or cool. It justdoesn't looks bad.

That big cat head can be modified easily into a big serpent head with some snading down, paint and sculpt.
The tower itself loos somewhat organic, it reminds me of the bio towers of Cobra La.

Put it THAT way, it would make some sense. Add some foamboard walls, some other accessories, and this could be a cobrala playset.

steve_smmr
05-12-2011, 12:00 AM
[QUOTE=M_renegade;2534345]Again, it's not pretty or cool. It justdoesn't looks bad.

Put it THAT way, it would make some sense. Add some foamboard walls, some other accessories, and this could be a cobrala playset.

.........and why would we want a cobra-la playset? :D

arthurdent
05-12-2011, 12:33 AM
to have the joes cower before globulus... or kick his snaky butt!

DR.Sin
05-12-2011, 03:31 AM
From that picture of the Thundercats set, I wouldn't say it was a playset. It looks likes a bunch of pieces thrown together. Even the crappy ROC Playset has a bit more value than that.

Those Star Wars sets are useful for displaying the figures. I liked them for that. Now that I have one too many figures, there really is no point to having the playsets taking up space. Oh wait I thought of another bad playset.

The folding Cantina. Sure I used it for my Cantina Aliens, but it was cheapo folding board. How economical that was.

M_renegade
05-12-2011, 07:30 AM

Of course, i'm not counting the price.
If the set is shitty but cheap, then that gives him points lol

[QUOTE=arthurdent;2534783]

.........and why would we want a cobra-la playset? :D

I would usually say the same, but lots of people like Cobra-la. It's like the IGs, i can't hate them enough but people go nuts about them.

arthurdent
05-12-2011, 04:22 PM
I used cobra-la as an example of what could be done to it, or any fantasy playset, like barsoom for the john carter/dejah thoris figs another tanker made. But personally speaking, The only way I'd ever buy this is if it sold for $10.00 or less... simply because I'd have to add a lot to this thing just to upgrade it to something useable.

arthurdent
05-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Any other bad sets you know of?

steve2477
05-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Hasbro always says that playsets dont sell, but if they made the correct playset it would most probably sell well. For instance, if they made a playset based on the Republic/Imperial Star Detroyer bridge, Cobra base, Pit command centre or MARS factory, i believe the sales would go through the roof.

Maybe there isnt many good playsets that would sell well for Gi Joe, but Star Wars has many locations that would make good playsets, Star Destroyer Bridge, Mos Eisley Cantina, Jabba's Palace, Cloud City, Hoth Echo Base command centre, Wampa ice cave, ROTJ Home One Rebel Briefing, Mos Eisley Street, Rebel Hoth Battle Trench, etc.

RolandofGilead
05-16-2011, 05:48 PM
I remember using the Kenner Death Star Playset with the original Joes back in 1982. I pretended it was an abandoned building that they had to search for some special treasure. There were no cobras at that time so there was no one for them to fight.

GI Guppy the third
05-16-2011, 05:59 PM
What was that third He Man fortress? I think I remember that thing stinking.

Darkseid83
05-16-2011, 06:14 PM
If I remember correctly, there was greyskull, snake mt then a swamp type playset, but I might be wrong.

Magick
05-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Greyskull, Snake Mountain and Eternia. There were smaller playset items like Hordak's pit and stuff.. but those three <----- were the big ones.

As for other playsets that suck.. I'm sure there are way more than what has been listed.. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but give me time and I'm sure i will remember something. LOL

RolandofGilead
05-16-2011, 06:23 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ioFiB7_6rUI/R3JWmo2hR4I/AAAAAAAAAgs/ucVreEdINzE/s400/Land%2Bof%2Bthe%2BJawas%2B3.JPG

I had the Land of the Jawas playset when I was a kid. Except for the escape pod it was the lamest playset of all time. Just a vacuum formed platform with a cardboard background.

Of course I was so lame I used to pretend it was the copycat playset Land of Hoth and that the cardboard backdrop sand crawler was my AT-AT.

http://www.12back.com/playsets/hoth.jpg

Xenos
05-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Hasbro always says that playsets dont sell, but if they made the correct playset it would most probably sell well. For instance, if they made a playset based on the Republic/Imperial Star Detroyer bridge, Cobra base, Pit command centre or MARS factory, i believe the sales would go through the roof.

Maybe there isnt many good playsets that would sell well for Gi Joe, but Star Wars has many locations that would make good playsets, Star Destroyer Bridge, Mos Eisley Cantina, Jabba's Palace, Cloud City, Hoth Echo Base command centre, Wampa ice cave, ROTJ Home One Rebel Briefing, Mos Eisley Street, Rebel Hoth Battle Trench, etc.

Target had the Hoth Battle Trench clearance from $40 down to something like $12 right after Christmas. I didn't get it since I don't collect SW anymore, but it looked like a cool set, so I don't think it's failure to sell was necessarily due to quality.

JR0d28
05-16-2011, 06:38 PM
What was that third He Man fortress? I think I remember that thing stinking.

Fright Zone whatta craptacular fortress was just a hole in the wall w a jail

JR0d28
05-16-2011, 06:39 PM
If I remember correctly, there was greyskull, snake mt then a swamp type playset, but I might be wrong.

Fright Zone

GI Guppy the third
05-16-2011, 06:53 PM

I'm thinking of the Eternia playset. From the images it looks like a Care Bear Adventureland.

arthurdent
05-16-2011, 08:49 PM
The ewok tree village was reissued, with slight changes, as the Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves Sherwood forest playset. As an ewok villiage it was okay but it was senseless as robin hoods' hangout, it being slightly too small for the RH figures.

Shipshape1983
05-17-2011, 03:18 PM
The ewok tree village was reissued, with slight changes, as the Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves Sherwood forest playset. As an ewok villiage it was okay but it was senseless as robin hoods' hangout, it being slightly too small for the RH figures.

but the leaves they added totally improved on the playset.

arthurdent
05-22-2011, 03:05 AM
any more playsets that stink you know of?

T J Bang
05-22-2011, 06:47 AM
I liked the sw cantina, i got two and put them together to form a whole building. Moded the interior and glued it to a base then glued sand around the outside on the base. Cardboard was crap but it did the job. I remember using a tmnt technodrome as a terrordome for joes. And i remember having robin hoods ewok village lol

DR.Sin
05-22-2011, 07:14 AM
I liked the sw cantina, i got two and put them together to form a whole building. Moded the interior and glued it to a base then glued sand around the outside on the base. Cardboard was crap but it did the job. I remember using a tmnt technodrome as a terrordome for joes. And i remember having robin hoods ewok village lol

I did almost the same thing. I cut the whole back off of an extra one then slid it under the other set to double the background. My cantina dudes just needed a bigger hang out. I mean it did the job, I just wish there could have been a better version made, oh well.

arthurdent
05-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Good use of a subpar playset. That can be done AFTER they hit the bargain bin.

arthurdent
09-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Any more terrible playsets out there?

jmc2915
09-03-2012, 06:32 PM
i always thought that if the cat head could be made to look like a snake if someone could remove the ears and maybe do something with its nose

percehonson
09-03-2012, 06:36 PM
he's a guy that really hates manure. It cost him 300 bucks damage to his car cause of that son of a bitch calvin klein.

lol!!

redx24
09-03-2012, 06:40 PM

smh at how hard this made me laugh

Cdt Weasel
09-03-2012, 08:02 PM
[img]http://www.12back.com/playsets/hoth.jpg

Check out that snowspeeder with the mad drift skills.

Python_Puckman
09-03-2012, 08:30 PM
That Thundercat tower deserves its own hate thread. That kid in the image is a great actor... he actually looks like he's having fun with that load.

Here is a crap playset. Recreate the famous SW moment where Luke opens Leia's cell door over and over again! Minutes of fun for everyone

http://guidestobuy.com/images/actionfigure/upload//images/I/51xcDXuIJvL.jpg

Xenos
09-03-2012, 08:35 PM
I actually really liked that Detention Block playset. It was a great little display piece. I wish there were more tiny little sets like that were meant for just a couple of figures. Maybe not a lot of fun to play with, but really nice for a little display.

arthurdent
09-03-2012, 08:53 PM
I actually really liked that Detention Block playset. It was a great little display piece. I wish there were more tiny little sets like that were meant for just a couple of figures. Maybe not a lot of fun to play with, but really nice for a little display.

I like those little playsets as well, simply because I don't have a lot of display space. Can't find them anymore locally.

Typhis
09-03-2012, 09:01 PM

Same here.Mustafar is DR. Mindbender's base

lazlo76
09-04-2012, 12:16 AM
I only had playsets when I was a kid in the 80's but those were cool like the M.A.S.K. Boulder Hill playset, and from G.I.Joe I had the Outpost Defender and Cobra Surveillance Port.

Ixz72
09-04-2012, 01:43 AM
That Thundercat tower deserves its own hate thread. That kid in the image is a great actor... he actually looks like he's having fun with that load.

Anything Thundercats in the Bandai 4" line sucked including the figures. I was really looking forward to the Thundertank and guess what... it sucked. My 6 year old hates the thing.

arthurdent
09-06-2012, 07:56 PM
I saw, about two years back, a large "Carrier Playset" for the Corps figures... It was hilarious because what they had done was put two of their minijets on a aircraft carrier THAT WAS IN A MUCH SMALLER SCALE! The two jets took up the entire flightdeck, and the included 3 3/4 inch figure, if it was put on the carrier, would have wound up looking like the statue of liberty on top of a cruise ship!

knoxvelour
09-06-2012, 09:04 PM
This was on the topless robot website... This pile of manure is the new Thundercats Tower of Omens playset. It comes with a clear thundercat figure with a magnet inside that triggers sound chips in the sections, as well as an elevator and slide... And this is all there is of it. What playsets have you seen or know of that are this bad? I can't imagine ANYBODY buying this for their kid or any customizer buying this when it goes into the bargain bin at the store.

if you turn those side gates vertical and give it some red paint, that head can be easily converted into a cobra

arthurdent
09-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Any more bad playsets out there?

Headman
09-28-2012, 12:48 AM

And the snake glove won't fit my hand anymore!

dropshipbob
10-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Buy two or more of those Star Wars dentention block playsets and you could put them end to end making a....longer.....hallway.

O.k., I don't know if that's an improvement or not.

GI Flow
10-02-2012, 06:37 PM

Here is a crap playset. Recreate the famous SW moment where Luke opens Leia's cell door over and over again! Minutes of fun for everyone

http://guidestobuy.com/images/actionfigure/upload//images/I/51xcDXuIJvL.jpg

I liked that one. I've always wanted to buy multiples and have a whole detention block. Minutes of fun haha!

As far as that half assed attempt at a thundercats playset. Adding some walls and such would make it a great Black Panther castle or something

arthurdent
11-13-2012, 06:31 PM
with christmas coming up we are going to see a LOT of toys in the stores: Which ones do you like and which ones do you HATE!?

DR.Sin
11-13-2012, 11:01 PM
That Star Wars Droid tank is quite horrendous and overpriced.

Darth Awgmon
11-13-2012, 11:41 PM
That Star Wars Droid tank is quite horrendous and overpriced.

Yes. I love Star Wars, but that is one giant piece of shit. We get that instead of a Sail Barge.

ssg4life
11-16-2012, 03:12 PM
for all of these so called "stinker" playsets, i'm willing to take all of them off your hands for the cost of shipping

arthurdent
12-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Anybody wind up with anything that's a pile of manure?

meandnooneelse
01-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Hasbro says playsets don't sell, but I think the problem is the price point at which they sell the play sets. Hell anything with the Star Wars name on it sells for twice it's worth. I'm not cranking out $100 on a playset or ship. I have bills to pay.

arthurdent
01-12-2013, 10:23 AM
I totally agree with you... After I pay all the bills I don't have a lot left over... And I seriously balk at things that cost $50 or more!

jhester
01-12-2013, 12:15 PM
I believe that Sold Out EVERYWHERE Ninja Turtles playset that was 100+ dollars debunks the whole playsets don't sell argument. I'm glad we got my son his way before christmas because 3 weeks before xmas they were no where to be found. Its a great set too. Huge.

arthurdent
05-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Any more bad palysets out there?

NetViper X
05-18-2013, 01:20 AM

Well I guess if you wanted to make a diorama of the elf city of Rivendell then this set would be a nice start minus the lion head on the gate. Get a couple of Star Trek Spock figures to use as elf guards and an Agent Smith figure from the Matrix to play Elrond and your set.

arthurdent
05-18-2013, 11:26 PM
I believe that Sold Out EVERYWHERE Ninja Turtles playset that was 100+ dollars debunks the whole playsets don't sell argument. I'm glad we got my son his way before christmas because 3 weeks before xmas they were no where to be found. Its a great set too. Huge.

If I could have got that set i would have. It's a great playset!

AnimeFan1980
05-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I really want that TMNT playset myself too. It looks real nice.

cobracobra
05-28-2013, 10:30 PM
Its pretty rad I have to say. It makes the turtle Figures look incredible. Its sturdy and really well designed. I am not usually a fan of the abstract playset but this is just so interactive with the action figures. If your a turtles fan I would obtain this pronto.

I have only seen a handful of the episodes but really love what nick' did with them.

Xerofall
05-28-2013, 10:36 PM

I dunno... have you seen this guy's custom?

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-customs-finished-projects/278154-tower-omens-custom.html

He did a good job making it look cool as hell.

ozzie92
05-28-2013, 11:48 PM
I don't know...the kid seems to really be enjoying the set. ;)