PDA

View Full Version : G.I. Joe Modern Era Wave 9 B.A.T. Review

DESTRO
06-11-2008, 05:36 PM
B.A.T.s (Battle Android Troopers) are dangerous to everybody. They'll shoot, bayonet, or kick anything in sight, Cobra Infantrymen don't like to be on the same battlefield with B.A.T.s. When a Cobra unit is losing a battle they will dispense B.A.T.s into the midst of the firefight in order to evacuate the area. They can still push farther than regular troops and take more damage. Nothing short of rendering them absolutely inoperative (destroy all vital core components) would stop them.

Set to be the biggest Army Builder of the line so far, the Cobra B.A.T. is full of upgrades. Now you can remove the hands from both sides of the figure and attach any of the weapons included to the right or left side of the figure.

The back-pack looks a bit bulky with the weapons placed inside. If you use the hands to sit in the top of the back-pack it looks much better. The claw hand opens and shuts and the B.A.T. also comes with a sidearm, what looks to be a Desert Eagle. The chest plate is not easy to remove on this version. I'm sure there is a way but until I get a few more that test well need to wait. This has always been my favorite Troop Builder and I am looking forward to the Battle Damaged Version.

High Res Images
http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/25th-anniversary-3/gi-joe-modern-era-wave-9-cobra-bat-review-7372/

Eopie Herder
06-11-2008, 05:41 PM
There is going to be a battle damaged one?

fogger1138
06-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Set to be the biggest Army Builder of the line so far, the Cobra B.A.T. is full of upgrades.

Yup, that's for sure. I will be getting as many of these as I can find.

artiepants
06-11-2008, 05:58 PM
i really don't even like B.A.T.s and i have to admit they knocked this one all the way out of the park. I love the 'Terminator' arms.

Can we expect a Snow Serpent review today Shiney Bald Boss? (my favorite troops)

Syn3sthesia
06-11-2008, 05:58 PM
I can't wait to see them at the stores. They look awesome.

artiepants
06-11-2008, 05:59 PM
There is going to be a battle damaged one?
yeah, they had 'battle damage' pieces (head and one forearm IIRC) and a Spore backpack (from the comics issue BATs debuted in) @ Toyfair...

Gung.Heaux
06-11-2008, 06:01 PM
didnt have a BAT as a kid......now as a kid, i will have one!

G.I.Eddie
06-11-2008, 06:01 PM
they *sniff* are so *sniff, sniff* beautiful....i've never *sniff* been more happy *sniff* in my life....

do they really come weathered like that or is that your own touch Big D?

delta
06-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Thats really good looking. Wish they put this much thought in the others!

barbecue
06-11-2008, 06:02 PM
I want to have a insanely big army of about 30-40 of those tech creeps. Sadly because of money limitations I will get about 6-12.

I hope Hasbro releases in a future an army builder pack of BATS so we can get more of them for a cheaper price.

ceraurus
06-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Wow, that's incredible. It will definitely be hard to adhere to my new rule on limited troop building.

G.I.Eddie
06-11-2008, 06:03 PM
...so we can get more of them for a cheaper price.

exactly why they probably won't...

Commando
06-11-2008, 06:04 PM
The B.A.T. looks great Destro, congrats on getting wave 9 early.

Now when do you think the rest of us can expect to start seeing them at retail?

VIPER 48
06-11-2008, 06:08 PM
So many BATS, so little time. They look great, i can't wait to see them here...

Cataclizm1
06-11-2008, 06:14 PM
All your BATs are belong to me.

Gung.Heaux
06-11-2008, 06:15 PM
i stated that i have never owned a BAT.....and now, oddly, with these pics i take a really good look at it......its a robot, with pants and shortsleeves....ooo-kay.

still like it nonetheless......just kinda odd.

Badgumbo
06-11-2008, 06:18 PM
I cannot wait to build a squad of these! They look incredible. I am looking forward to the second release (variant?) with battle damage and spore pack from the comic.

Did anyone else like the red facplate in the cartoon? I always thought it gave the BATs a Terminator like feel and may do a few repaints.

Thanks for the review Destro!

Nekoman
06-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Ten sounds like a good number, I hope these are decently available.

camper
06-11-2008, 06:24 PM
BBTS has this wave slated for June shipment. So all you Cali gents should be on the lookout for the rest of the month.

DESTRO
06-11-2008, 06:32 PM
The B.A.T. looks great Destro, congrats on getting wave 9 early.

Now when do you think the rest of us can expect to start seeing them at retail?

Last I herd it was end of June.

COBRAVAMPIRE
06-11-2008, 06:34 PM
man thems dope

Sy-Rein
06-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Oh cool, cant wait for these. Got a few on order through BBTS.

Question, it looks like there is only two spots to store the extra arm attachments in the backpack, is that the case? Kinda sucks if it is, the original could store all 3 extra attachments on his backpack.

Commando
06-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Last I herd it was end of June.

Thanks Destro

DESTRO
06-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Oh cool, cant wait for these. Got a few on order through BBTS.

Question, it looks like there is only two spots to store the extra arm attachments in the backpack, is that the case? Kinda sucks if it, the original could store all 3 extra attachments on his backpack.

Yes 2 pegs but the hand fits in the lower compartment giving you 3. If you look at the backpack pics you can see what I am talking about.

Crimson Rage
06-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Now that is a corker of a figure. I just hope I'm in with a chance of grabbing a few when the dust from the initial rush settles.

JR0d28
06-11-2008, 06:41 PM
4 is all I need I mean if they have the strengh as much as 4 Cobra Troopers 4 of them is like 16 troopers! Ten or Twenty would be OVERKILL!!!

ladyhump
06-11-2008, 06:57 PM
I've got 13 preordered from HTS and a case from BBTS to look foward to. I desperately want to make love to a school boy. Wait, that's not right.

firmpulse
06-11-2008, 06:59 PM
BEFORE i gripe (too late) i must say i love this figure. i think the head and neck are especially fantastic.

NOW i may be alone here, but silver backpacks get on my nerves. ESPECIALLY on wave 7 snake eyes....

anyway, thanks a lot for the review and pics dest!

spiderpumpkin
06-11-2008, 07:00 PM
I like the figure a lot but I don't like the weathering on the arm attachments. Why are the attachments so dirty but the rest of the figure is nice and clean? Hopefully, it will be easy to remove the black weathering paint.

spiderpumpkin
06-11-2008, 07:03 PM
... silver backpacks get on my nerves...

I didn't notice that the backpack was different at first. However, I did notice it's nice and clean without any weathering like the attachments.

Why didn't they go with a black backpack?

DESTRO
06-11-2008, 07:06 PM
I like the figure a lot but I don't like the weathering on the arm attachments. Why are the attachments so dirty but the rest of the figure is nice and clean? Hopefully, it will be easy to remove the black weathering paint.

Might be just as easy to ad glossy silver paint.

NeoDragonKnight
06-11-2008, 07:23 PM
awesome, anyone gonna try to make a cartoon version with the red face?

ceraurus
06-11-2008, 07:36 PM
i stated that i have never owned a BAT.....and now, oddly, with these pics i take a really good look at it......its a robot, with pants and shortsleeves....ooo-kay.

Robots deserve pants just like the rest of us!

And they have short sleeves because long sleeves get too hot.

Nemesis*Prime
06-11-2008, 08:04 PM
I'll take a hundred or so please. :)

This was first G.I. Joe figure as a kid and still one of my all time top favorites, I'm definitely going to be army building this new one like crazy.

Also I'm pretty sure the handgun Hasbro included is their version of an HK USP Match pistol that originally came with the VvV Firefly figure.

King_Snake
06-11-2008, 09:42 PM
wow...this wave is intense! i hope waves 10 and 11 are equally as great looking!

Saboteur
06-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Never really cared much for the bats..But these look really good, might consider getting a few..Bazooka and Barbecue are my main priorities in this wave though..Can we see some previews of them?
Saboteur

Tunnel Rat
06-11-2008, 10:37 PM
These things are going to be impossible to find in the stores... they did an amazing job on this figure

Black Rose
06-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I agree Tunnel Rat - even if Hasbro increases production these will be very hard to find. I think everyone and their mother will be troop building these.

WVMojo
06-11-2008, 11:00 PM

still like it nonetheless......just kinda odd.

Baggy Pants to boot...speaking of boots, why does a robot need boots? And on a completely non-related topic, why does a viper need goggles if he has a full helmet and face shield!?!

Only Hasbro knows...

Deefuzz
06-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Great writeup man.

This is one of the figures I have been looking forward to the most.

Tunnel Rat
06-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Black Rose, your right. No matter how many hasbro makes they are still gonna be tough to find. People say they are gonna make armies. Well not if you cant find them. Unless they go the internet route and pay more.

MAJOR WOLF
06-12-2008, 12:18 AM
If I can find atleast 6 Bats I'll be Happy!

Snake Eyes-Joe Ninja
06-12-2008, 12:37 AM
I only want 3, 4 tops.

Monkeywrench
06-12-2008, 01:30 AM
I can't wait. I'm going to need at least 50 of them

Sergeant Major
06-12-2008, 10:00 AM
I can't wait. I'm going to need at least 50 of them

You aren't kidding! This friggin' figure will put me in the poor house!

spacemonkeymafia
06-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Like all my Troops I need only 2. Pre ordered a wave 9 set BBTS so one is down.........

dealer
06-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Ok this is a minor nit to pick, but sloppy work annoys me.

The fact that there is no period after the T on the stands. It's a friggin acronym people.

That being said, these do look awesome as I never had a B.A.T. v1

tuan_tran73
06-12-2008, 09:02 PM
I hope that Hasbro make 2 billions of these guys, because I am saving all my allowances on this guy.

murphbri
06-13-2008, 01:42 AM
I cannot wait to build a squad of these! They look incredible. I am looking forward to the second release (variant?) with battle damage and spore pack from the comic.

Did anyone else like the red facplate in the cartoon? I always thought it gave the BATs a Terminator like feel and may do a few repaints.

Thanks for the review Destro!

I loved the red faceplate from the cartoon and hope that when they repaint this it will be a toon-accurate deco. (No neon grenades plskthanx)!

BEFORE i gripe (too late) i must say i love this figure. i think the head and neck are especially fantastic.

NOW i may be alone here, but silver backpacks get on my nerves. ESPECIALLY on wave 7 snake eyes....

anyway, thanks a lot for the review and pics dest!

Yep, I wholeheartedly agree. I like the sculpt but feel they really dropped the ball on the deco. I don't get why they don't have the colors match the originals when these are supposed to be remakes/tributes.

Yeah, they really went overboard with the blackwash. If I want dirty figs I have plenty of oil and mud at home. Save the money on unnecessary paint apps and apply it to other figs that need 'em. My Python Patrol Officer needs painted kneepads, darnit! *shakes fist at Hasbro*

Bernit69
06-13-2008, 03:36 AM
I'm betting a whole bunch of you will set a bunch aside for Firefly like me...lol

flip wilson
06-13-2008, 03:58 AM
I just want one.

Then with the addition of the BAT, all I need is a toxo-viper... :)

Dawg99
06-13-2008, 04:14 AM
10-20 good enough for me if ican find them start a small army for my son

Iron Spider-Man
06-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Well I got my three fell-off-a-truck special/Hong Kong B.A.T.s today. I was at first surprised that I didn't get their belt, when I already knew I wasn't getting arms, gun or backpack, but I guess I shouldn't expect much from HK.

However, once I got messing with them, they were awesome. The arms move really well, and they look like they can hold almost any gun, very well. The ab joint is really impressive on the three I have, usually on figures I can't get it to move around side to side, but on these guys I can. If that stays on the carded versions, I think a lot of people are going to be very happy.

While they didn't come with any accessories, I tried removing their hands, and its easy to do, without making anything loose or floppy. I'll probably use these three accessory-less guys to help with HISS tank gunnery.

Also, the chest piece appears to be glued in with two little pegs so it might be more tricky to get it out than just tapping him on the back or something easy. I am sure if you took apart the torso you could get it off.

jdizz76
07-01-2008, 07:17 PM
A 10...a perfect 10! This is my favorite figure of the modern line. This figure is just amazing. The color scheme, including the rust/damaged accents on all attachments, are just perfect. The articulation is, again, perfect. The sculpt...the sculpt is right on the money; not one flaw. I was lucky enough to find a complete set, but I'll surely spend a small fortune hunting down at least 9 or 10 more of these.