PDA

View Full Version : 2011 GI Joe Q&A Round 2: POST QUESTIONS NOW!

Shin Densetsu
05-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Post your questions now for the second round of 2011 GI Joe Q&A! Please remember the following:

Topics open for discussion –Deco Decisions, Design Choices, Design Product Development and Redeco/Retooling.Also, questions pertaining to past and curren Strategy and Marketing.
Topics that cannot be addressed -“When will X toy be made/redesigned/released, Hypothetical, Sales/Cost Data, Product Idea Submissions, Potential Design/Redesign Future Movie/Entertainment.

UMAN
05-06-2011, 01:39 AM
Hope this falls into questions ok to ask... design choices, I suppose.

Can we see more diversity within the ranks of Joe and Cobra? POC has a distinct lack of female characters, for one. It would also be nice to see characters from different ethnicities - perhaps variants of army builders with different skin tones, as well as named characters.

rfarrell22
05-06-2011, 01:47 AM

Can we see more diversity within the ranks of Joe and Cobra? POC has a distinct lack of female characters, for one. It would also be nice to see characters from different ethnicities - perhaps variants of army builders with different skin tones, as well as named characters.
I like this. good start.

Shin Densetsu
05-06-2011, 02:01 AM
In the last Q&A we heard the Battle Corps vehicles and WHALE molds were lost, but what about the Tomahawk?

In 2010 the Dragonfly was said to be planned for re-release but we never saw it. What happened?

tycondrius
05-06-2011, 02:06 AM
heres my question.
A lot of the new figures have been location specific Ie City Strike, Jungle assault, etc with the next wave of vehicles on the way being mostly aerial related is there any plans to release naval vehicles for either force ?

Also side secondary question, are international fans going to have to wait till the next movie for any Joe products to be seen in their stores ,could possible international exclusives be outa the question?

Fogwraith
05-06-2011, 02:08 AM
Is the Python Patrol Croc Master a hint that we will see more of the sub groups again in the future, perhaps as rereleases of popular figures? ex. Nightwatch Shock Trooper or Python Patrol Shadow Tracker. Or was the Python Patrol Croc Master simply an attempt to save a potential peg warmer and in doing so, was the last we will see of the sub groups sans multipacks or club releases?

Retail-Viper
05-06-2011, 03:23 AM
....Also side secondary question, are international fans going to have to wait till the next movie for any Joe products to be seen in their stores ,could possible international exclusives be outa the question?

I second this one

speedocub
05-06-2011, 03:52 AM
Why can't the Joe line begin focusing on characters that exist from the comics or cartoon that have not been made.

Zandar, Raptor, Big Boa, Crystal Ball, Crimson Guard Immortal, Annihilator, ect...at some point in Joe figure history they made these characters...supported them with comics and cartoons...why all the constant, Duke CC and SE focus...lets open the doors to diversity. Give it a try eh?

Trigue
05-06-2011, 04:01 AM
Hopefully this is an okay question.

Will the Ferret ATV and Whirlwind (aka Jungle Terror Twin Battle Gun) see a release in classic colors and will the retooled Silver Mirage cycle ever see a retail release for the 30th ?

or

Will the new POC Cobra Trooper and Viper also come in Python Patrol variants ? and will there be an Officer verison of the Trooper ?

tycondrius
05-06-2011, 05:30 AM
can we get a crimson strike version of the new Viper ?

lardman
05-06-2011, 05:59 AM
I hope these are suitable:

We have Joes/Cobras adapted for various environments e.g. Jungle strike, City strike, Arctic, Desert, etc. Any chance of the Joes and Cobra once again breaching the final frontier and us seeing some updates of the Space-themed Joes such as Payload and Astro-Viper (to tie in nicely with the publicity surrounding the retirement of the Space Shuttle)?

I would also like to see some more marine (as in ocean, not specifically the service branch) orientated figures and vehicles for an Ocean-strike sort of team (and again, SEAL Team Six/DEVGRU have had some decent publicity recently that this might ride on the back of, and piracy around Somalia is a constant in the news too)

Trooper13
05-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Not sure if this is okay.

With the upcoming movie and it's wider exposure. Is there any chance of a return of the "Comabt Heroes" figure line?

blackman2005
05-06-2011, 08:16 AM
1) Is there any chance that more female chaarcters will get released for the 30th Anniversary line-up besides Renegades Scarlet?

2) With retailers allowing the newly retooled Skystriker to have shelf space in their stores, if it sells exceptionally well will there be more large aircraft vehicles planned for release like the Phantom X-19?

3) The upcoming Zombie Viper shown at Toyfair 2011 had weird blueish color for the skin-tone. Is this the final color scheme or is it still in the early phase of production.

4) Any chance that the other six Joes from the Attack on Cobra Island 7-pack will get an update like Recondo received in the Pursuit of Cobra line?

Gothiczartan
05-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Will there be new gijoe figures in same incarnation as the classic figures like Budo, Scoop, footloose, metal-head, big boa, thrasher, zandar, payload, hardtop, steam roller, toxo-viper (1988 version), hardball, recoil.

How about some figures based on the comic book

scarlett in her design from america's elite series, mayday devil's due series, zanya zartan's daughter, greenshirts devil's due design, the oktober guard members, alexander son of destro, mistress armada, cobra officers devil's due design.

any vehicles playsets like the tomahawk, havok, stunn, hydrofoil, the none mobile gi joe pit headquarters based on the comic book series either the marvel or the idw series?

Viper6
05-06-2011, 08:38 AM
can we get a python patrol stun and ASP, how about an ASP period! DO IT...NOW!

carded televiper with vintage accessories please

fixing serpentor anytime soon

a no nipple straps mindbender in the works?

GI C
05-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Hasbro,

Will walmart ever carry the Joes again?

blackman2005
05-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Hasbro,

Will walmart ever carry the Joes again?

Without Walmart to rely on for Joes the availability of new product is very limited. Any progress on getting Joes back into Walmart?

EduardimusPrime
05-06-2011, 09:19 AM
I really dig the aesthetic of the new Iron Grenadiers and would love to see more of this alternative faction. Any plans on expanding the IG with a more modern twist?

OSOK
05-06-2011, 10:06 AM
guess i cant ask about the Flagg :(

themac339
05-06-2011, 10:12 AM

Can we see different ethnicities in the figures like the upcoming steel brigade figure and some of the cobra troop figures? I would love to be able to get a black version of these.

Mech-Viper
05-06-2011, 10:20 AM
if another company with a military theme can get large vechiles on the shelves, why cant hasbro do the same?

blackman2005
05-06-2011, 11:00 AM
if another company with a military theme can get large vechiles on the shelves, why cant hasbro do the same?

They could dominate the Military themed vehicle/playset section in retailers like Toys R Us but they simply chose not to. Please, I'm tired of hearing about cost evaluation mumbo jumbo. If the upcoming Skystriker can be produced ata MSRP below $30 so can many other larger scaled vehicles...

sithlordsmart
05-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Will we see any neutral figures released? I.E. Hector Rameriez (20Q guy) etc or business suit Tomax and Xamot?

blackman2005
05-06-2011, 11:05 AM
5) Is there any chance that any new play-sets similar to the 2009 Walmart exclusives will be made for the upcoming 30th Anniversary.

starbuck
05-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Can we get a peek at this years Ross exclusives?

J/K!!!

Serious question:

Quality and playability of the new figures is better than it has ever been. Because early 25th figures were made during the "learning process" for the modern era sculpt, is there a chance we could see some of these characters released again in the same ARAH styling, but with the quality we now enjoy?

Specific examples include the dreadnoks and Lt Falcon...

Un-dead Soldier
05-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Will Hasbro be taking more of an initiative in the next year or so towards marketing GI Joes, especially towards our younger generation. Like maybe TV commercials on the HUB?

kneroh
05-06-2011, 11:52 AM
What is the biggest challenge facing the GI Joe brand today?

IE: in order to make GI Joe a banner property once more what needs to be done?

pig iron grenadier
05-06-2011, 11:56 AM
I second the question that asked if there would be an ocean/water theme for POC..ala City Strike, Desert, etc.

Hawkwinter
05-06-2011, 11:57 AM
With the availability of 2011 waves 1 & 2 and possibly 3 & 4 being location specific and limited at best, are there any plans to do a repack wave of the most popular figures from PoC (Low-Light, wave 3 Snake Eyes, Viper, etc) within the 30th Anniversary line? It seems to work beautifully for Star Wars, why not GI Joe?

This is one of the big things I wonder about. With PoC having been so limited in its availability but at the same time getting nothing but praise from the fans why not just re-pack them like Star Wars does. Seeing the Alley Viper and Cobra Soldier mock-ups at the con really got me wishing they would do this. Not repaints as that always ticks people off, but actual repacks.

EduardimusPrime
05-06-2011, 12:07 PM

This would be one of the best questions to ask, if not THE best question. We talk allot about what challenges We think hasbro faces and what needs to be done, but We haven't heard much in regards to what Hasbro's take is on these issues are.

kneroh
05-06-2011, 12:18 PM
This would be one of the best questions to ask, if not THE best question. We talk allot about what challenges We think hasbro faces and what needs to be done, but We haven't heard much in regards to what Hasbro's take is on these issues are.

Thank you! We speculate all the time on this board as to why GI Joe isn't what it once was. Whether is political, socio, or economical. I'd love to actually get Hasbro's official word on it. What are they doing, who are they targeting and what can we do?

We all want the line to succeed but first we have to identify why it's struggling.

Stunksstage
05-06-2011, 12:22 PM
1) With the huge success of the troopers in the PoC line, such as Alley Viper and Shock Trooper, has HasbroToyShop considered releasing 12-figure "army builder" cases, similar to what they did with ME Paratroopers? (this could also work for New Cobrat Trooper, Viper, and Steel Brigade)

2) What led to the decision to release the Croc Master in the yellowish tone with the Python Patrol running change, rather than simply releasing the Python Patrol version? Same question regarding Blowtorch running change.

3) The 30th anniversary seems to provide an opportunity for Hasbro to "go retro" as they did during the 25th, a time period that not only pulled old collectors back into the line but also kept current collectors happy. If the 30th line picks up the same level of momentum as the 25th, can fans expect an explosive amount of product similar in variety (DVD battle packs, three packs, comic packs, singles, 7 packs)?

angelofdeath69
05-06-2011, 12:25 PM
We have seen many versions of Duke, Snake Eyes, Cobra Commander and even Storm Shadow or Destro, why can't we see some new Scarlett or Baroness, or even better Lady Jaye or Covergirl?

ero
05-06-2011, 12:26 PM
I know this has been asked in the past, but I'd really like to know if they plan to work on getting more MASK released, either in the 30th or if they view it as something that would need its own line. Perhaps there's a more strategic way to ask this, so I'll leave that to the site elders.

Wouldn't mind knowing as well if they would take the Trakker approach with any of the characters from COPS n Crooks.

3) The 30th anniversary seems to provide an opportunity for Hasbro to "go retro" as they did during the 25th, a time period that not only pulled old collectors back into the line but also kept current collectors happy. If the 30th line picks up the same level of momentum as the 25th, can fans expect an explosive amount of product similar in variety (DVD battle packs, three packs, comic packs, singles, 7 packs)?

I like this question a lot.

Jasonwelcome
05-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Can we please get Cobra Troopers in different ethnicities? Also Joes are lacking in this department as well.

skinny
05-06-2011, 12:38 PM
The GIJOE Collector's Club seems to be gaining popularity as of late with the switch to current product, the offering of Dialtone, and now the subscription service.
Is Hasbro taking a hands off approach to what the club offers via the subscription service, or will they be more involved in the process?

Jmacq1
05-06-2011, 01:13 PM

Which company would that be, and define "large" vehicles? If you're talking about True Heroes, think again. They're pretty much a retailer-exclusive (Toys R Us)...not a mass-retail product (Wal-Mart doesn't carry 'em). Same thing with Forces of Valor and Target. MMI doesn't have any product on shelves yet, and the Corps! doesn't really do any vehicles much bigger than what Hasbro does with Joe. Is there some other mass-retail (IE at all major retailers) military brand that I'm not aware of and apparently isn't carried in any retailer in my area?

Oh, and retail being willing to carry arguably the most recognizable and iconic vehicle from the entire line (The Skystriker) doesn't mean they're going to be eager to pick up any "large" vehicle Hasbro throws at them.

I also second the "Biggest challenge" question. I'd be very curious to see what kind of answer Hasbro gives us on that one.

Laser Viper
05-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I would like the Mumba be redone is all black with red Cobra stickers maybe like a night ops or something, the X-19 to come back out and maybe the return of the Frag viper and the HEAT Viper? also, bring back the Black Hiss and be available to ALL RETAILERS not just F*cking Ross stores along with the VAMP II and the Cobra Fury as well.

With retailers worried about space in their inventory, maybe a scaled down version of the Terror Drome would be nice and is snaps together or something? Just a thought.

Xenos
05-06-2011, 01:46 PM
With the Rise of Cobra figures disappointing, will we see a more scaled back approach to the toy line when the new movie comes out?

skinny
05-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Hasbro, does anyone read the rules for asking questions?

Topics that cannot be addressed -“When will X toy be made/redesigned/released, Hypothetical, Sales/Cost Data, Product Idea Submissions, Potential Design/Redesign Future Movie/Entertainment.

not meant as a jab just a reminder

46 Zone
05-06-2011, 04:27 PM
The GIJOE Collector's Club seems to be gaining popularity as of late with the switch to current product, the offering of Dialtone, and now the subscription service.
Is Hasbro taking a hands off approach to what the club offers via the subscription service, or will they be more involved in the process?

This question is awesome. Please use this, and not the combat heros question.

My question would be:

Will you ever authorize the GIJCC to produce large vehicles (i.e. same size as skystriker, Dragonfly, Killer Whale, etc.)?

Troynos
05-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Hasbro, does anyone read the rules for asking questions?

not meant as a jab just a reminder

This thread didn't get past the first couple of posts before an unaddressable topic question was asked.

I like the "big challenges" question.

drew2kew
05-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Are there are figures/vehicles or exclusives that are to be released this year that we do not know about yet?

angelofdeath69
05-06-2011, 05:20 PM
What trends does the design department follow when making designs? current military uniforms, game designs, etc? is there a preference?

snakeeyes566
05-06-2011, 06:31 PM
1) Can you comment on the story behind the Zombie Viper? How the idea came up, who designed it, is it going to come with guns, etc?

2) Are some of the designs from the first movie going to be changed for the sequel ? For example: Many fans loved the portraying of Ray Park as Snake Eyes, but were bothered with the lips.

3) How is the sequel line going to be handled? How many single card figures are planned,is it going to be as large as ROC, will there be lots of exclusives, is the articulation going to be at the same level as 30th Anniversary, etc?

4) Are there any more Renegades figures or 30th Anniverary figures planned? We are still missing Destro, Baroness, Zartan, and Roadblock from Renegades. Do you plan on revealing more at SDCC?

5) The day after SDCC, at what time will we be able to order the Exlcusives? And please make plenty of them.

paraviper
05-06-2011, 06:45 PM
With the availability of 2011 waves 1 & 2 and possibly 3 & 4 being location specific and limited at best, are there any plans to do a repack wave of the most popular figures from PoC (Low-Light, wave 3 Snake Eyes, Viper, etc) within the 30th Anniversary line? It seems to work beautifully for Star Wars, why not GI Joe?

This is one of the big things I wonder about. With PoC having been so limited in its availability but at the same time getting nothing but praise from the fans why not just re-pack them like Star Wars does. Seeing the Alley Viper and Cobra Soldier mock-ups at the con really got me wishing they would do this. Not repaints as that always ticks people off, but actual repacks.

I'm sure the later revision cases will include early 2011 figures later in 2011 and early 2012. I'm sure some figures will carry over on 30th cards in filler/revison cases. You will see a lot of these revison cases in the fall for the x mas build up.

Shin Densetsu
05-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Are there are figures/vehicles or exclusives that are to be released this year that we do not know about yet?

We'll know @sdcc

Dangerjoe
05-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Can you give us a hint what the 7 packs will be? One of the Characters maybe? Do you think fans will be excited about it?

ero
05-06-2011, 08:08 PM
This thread didn't get past the first couple of posts before an unaddressable topic question was asked.

I like the "big challenges" question.

You know, Troynos, sometimes it's OK to pass on a snarky opportunity.

ILuvCoverGirl
05-06-2011, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=ero;2519511]I know this has been asked in the past, but I'd really like to know if they plan to work on getting more MASK released, either in the 30th or if they view it as something that would need its own line. Perhaps there's a more strategic way to ask this, so I'll leave that to the site elders.

Wouldn't mind knowing as well if they would take the Trakker approach with any of the characters from COPS n Crooks.

I LOVE this question!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know that I will probably be ridiculed to no end because I want it asked, and I think Hasbro would probably not actually add more MASK to the Joe line. Why not ask it though, it may give them pause to think about revisiting MASK. I know A LOT of Joe fans would buy into the line for the awesome vehicles, and there is already an association to the Joe line. PLEASE ask this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also want to know:

1 - There was some talk of 7 packs at the JoeCon not being ready for show, but progressing well. What details can you tell about the future of the 7 packs in development?

2 - I still have to hear how Hasbro plans to deal with Zarana at Comic Con. Many fans are nervous she will sell out like Sgt. Slaughter. Is Hasbro considering the huge demand for this figure, and are they planning to increase production numbers to meet what is sure to be an overwhelming demand?

Hawkwinter
05-06-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm sure the later revision cases will include early 2011 figures later in 2011 and early 2012. I'm sure some figures will carry over on 30th cards in filler/revison cases. You will see a lot of these revison cases in the fall for the x mas build up.

Well I'm not sure where you get this idea from because never in the history of GIJoe has Hasbro re-released the exact same product on a new lines cardbacks (25th does not count as it was still the same line, cardbacks were still the same with only the 25th changed for several different symbols). But RoC didn't see any exact repacks of 25th. PoC didn't see any repacks of RoC and so forth.

Also, with 30th looming fairly soon, I'm not sure how many revision caes will actually be released. I know they usually do 4 for each wave but I wouldn't be surprised if we only see one each which will include the new Croc Master and Blowtorch variants.

That's why I'm curious. The troop builder cases asked by someone else is even better though :)

gunslingercbr
05-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Well I'm not sure where you get this idea from because never in the history of GIJoe has Hasbro re-released the exact same product on a new lines cardbacks (25th does not count as it was still the same line, cardbacks were still the same with only the 25th changed for several different symbols). But RoC didn't see any exact repacks of 25th. PoC didn't see any repacks of RoC and so forth.

Also, with 30th looming fairly soon, I'm not sure how many revision caes will actually be released. I know they usually do 4 for each wave but I wouldn't be surprised if we only see one each which will include the new Croc Master and Blowtorch variants.

That's why I'm curious. The troop builder cases asked by someone else is even better though :)
I think it is pretty obvious that the 30th line is a continuation of the current line with just a face lift to the packaging, just like the 25th line to the "ME" line, so his argument applies. there doesn't appear to be a concept change or rebranding of the line, like what was done through the new sculpt years which you are arguing.

Beckley
05-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Ok, when the MARS Trooper was first introduced it was in an exclusive 3 pack.
We later saw this same MARS Trooper in a TRU Exclusive five pack, and in a Wal Mart exclusive set.
This made Troop Building him very easy, do you have plans to do this in the future?
I ask because The Alley Viper included with the Cobra Fury was kinda pedestrian looking, and I think a regular POC Alley Viper would have looked better and would have allowed us to add to our ranks.
The Snow Serpent Officer included with the Ice Cutter is another example. If you had to do it all over again, would you have just included a Snow Serpent in his traditional blue colors?
Sorry for rambling, I just wonder if you guys would consider not doing repaints on established troop builders.

flash70
05-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Her is my Question:

Why does G.I.*Joe have such a small to non-existent shelf space at the major retailers (Walmart, Target, Toys R' US)?

Troynos
05-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Her is my Question:

Why does G.I.*Joe have such a small to non-existent shelf space at the major retailers (Walmart, Target, Toys R' US)?

That should be pretty obvious.

It doesn't and hasn't sold enough for the retailers to devote more shelf space to it.

It's not a question Hasbro can really answer as they don't control shelf space.

Unclassified
05-06-2011, 11:10 PM
do you ever have any plans on doing a flagg?

:D

Steel Brigade
05-06-2011, 11:46 PM

^ I like this! ^

Steel Brigade
05-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Ok, when the MARS Trooper was first introduced it was in an exclusive 3 pack.
We later saw this same MARS Trooper in a TRU Exclusive five pack, and in a Wal Mart exclusive set.
This made Troop Building him very easy, do you have plans to do this in the future?
I ask because The Alley Viper included with the Cobra Fury was kinda pedestrian looking, and I think a regular POC Alley Viper would have looked better and would have allowed us to add to our ranks.
The Snow Serpent Officer included with the Ice Cutter is another example. If you had to do it all over again, would you have just included a Snow Serpent in his traditional blue colors?
Sorry for rambling, I just wonder if you guys would consider not doing repaints on established troop builders.

I'd personally hate for this to happen, part of me personally buying vehicles etc. has to do with the variety of characters, I don't want a single carded Alley Viper included with my Rage, I'd want a fresh figure or at the very least a fresh coat of paint on the Driver (like what they have been doing). If I need more of the same figure than I will buy more of the same figure.

paraviper
05-07-2011, 02:23 AM
I think it is pretty obvious that the 30th line is a continuation of the current line with just a face lift to the packaging, just like the 25th line to the "ME" line, so his argument applies. there doesn't appear to be a concept change or rebranding of the line, like what was done through the new sculpt years which you are arguing.

I could not have said it better myself. Thank you.

alexan2dros
05-07-2011, 04:01 AM
heres my question.

Also side secondary question, are international fans going to have to wait till the next movie for any Joe products to be seen in their stores ,could possible international exclusives be outa the question?

thisss^^^^

Gouki03
05-07-2011, 05:34 AM
I have two main questions:
1) Why are popular figures produced in such limited numbers? Nameless/faceless soldiers--troopbuilders-- shouldn't be out numbered 2:1 or more, by excessive numbers of Destros or a new version of Duke.
2) How can Hasbro address the lack of supply? Toys R Us/Target/Walmart have tiny G.I. Joe sections and the Joes they /do/ have are a year or more old. I really want the current waves to be available for retail, but at least put them on the HasbroToyShop website in sufficient quantities if the big chains aren't keeping them in stock.

One suggestion: Keep the weapons in SCALE! Wraith's P-90, The Doctor's AUG Steyer and the Iron Grenadiers' Uzi are vastly OVERSIZED and out of scale. I cant collect figures with such haphazardly produced accessories. Scale consistency would make figures much more appealing to collect. (Same goes for the Marvel Universe line-- ie. Uncanny X-Force ver. Wolverine and the undersized comic pack Magneto).

lardman
05-07-2011, 05:44 AM
I am ever hopeful that we will again see Joes in the UK and elsewhere outside the USA (after the next movie I guess), but would you consider opening up the online HasbroToyShop for international orders (with the appropriate shipping costs added in of course)?

Deftones1982
05-07-2011, 07:14 AM
1. Does Habro care about customers outside America?
2. How about more details and actual dates of future releases?
3. Any news about the GIJOE Club figures?

Shock Viper
05-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Will Larry Hama return to doing the file cards? Will we see a commercial for G.I. Joe even for the 30th anniversary line? Will we ever see the comics, cartoons and the toy released at sync like in the 80's?

Unclassified
05-07-2011, 08:18 AM
no one likes my question?? wtf??

loiosh
05-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Although the political climate has changed dramatically since the 80's, and what was acceptable then for a toyline story is different from the 80's. That being said I am finding Cobra to be a lot less believable as a terrorist organization. what, if anything is being done to give a more threatening, and a more congealed feel to the storyline of the modern era like POC and whatnot?
to clarify, the Shock troopers and Iron Grenadiers are great figures with an excellent idea behind them, but where are these people recruited from? what drives them to follow cobra? what threat are they able to make when the American government is ( If I remember right from the 80's stories) attempting to suppress the media about the existence of Cobra?
Thank you.

fireflyguy
05-07-2011, 09:03 AM
You guys at Hasbro have said that GI Joe:Renegades will be going on hiatus because of the upcoming live action sequel. However, will the toys continue to be released? BTW, I'm a huge fan of Renegades so count me in as one of those who definitely wants to see it come back!

gunslingercbr
05-07-2011, 11:17 AM
I have two main questions:
1) Why are popular figures produced in such limited numbers? Nameless/faceless soldiers--troopbuilders-- shouldn't be out numbered 2:1 or more, by excessive numbers of Destros or a new version of Duke.
no troopbuilder in POC has been released in less numbers than the named characters; every single on e has been released in at least an even ratio. just because the named characters don't sell out as fast and hang around on the pegs after the troop builders are sold doesn't mean the troopbuilders are produced in less quantity.

Skipper
05-07-2011, 11:50 AM
1-How does Hasbro choose what design will be used? What is it based on? Is reality a factor?

What is current strategy regarding 30 for 30? Will this strategy be used for GI JOE II.

captain mal
05-07-2011, 12:23 PM
1. Why did POC Wave Six show up at retail before POC Wave Five?

2. As much as I hate to admit it, the strategy of continually-re-issuing "core" characters seems to work. I rarely see Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, or Cobra Commander on the shelves. However, DUKE and DESTRO do not seem to be in the same ranks as the other "core" characters.

Has Hasbro considered re-thinking which characters get "core" status? I nominate Flint, Roadblock, and Major Bludd.

3. We are loving the troop builders... but why are there so many "new" characters, rather than giving some classic troop-builders the POC makeover? Crimson Guard, Crimson Guard Immortal, Headhunters, TeleVipers, and Eels - to name a few.

Griffin73
05-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Can we get less of Duke and Destro and more of rare or previously unmade figures? I know some are coming out but it's not enough. We (the buying public) are tired of the same old characters.

gunslingercbr
05-07-2011, 06:31 PM
QUESTION: When sculpting new body parts for figures, are they done so only with the specific character in mind that they are being used for first, or does the design team sculpt parts with the idea that they would be perfect for additional characters afterwards or down the line?

luigi
05-07-2011, 07:40 PM
are we going to see dial-tone in renegades?

boomer77
05-08-2011, 12:13 AM

I second this.

fireflyguy
05-08-2011, 12:48 AM
QUESTION: When sculpting new body parts for figures, are they done so only with the specific character in mind that they are being used for first, or does the design team sculpt parts with the idea that they would be perfect for additional characters afterwards or down the line?

I've often wondered about this myself. I see a new figure and I'll look at the parts and think, "That's xxxxxxx's arms" or "those are the legs used on xxxxxxxx." But it could be that those parts were meant for another figure first.

fireflyguy
05-08-2011, 12:49 AM
Is there any possibility that some of the figures produced for the convention or the club might resurface in some form or fashion as a wide-scale Hasbro release?

Loose Cannon
05-08-2011, 01:19 AM
1)What is the biggest challenge facing the GI Joe brand today?

Excellent question I 2nd or 5th it. I want to hear what is going through their little heads.

2)1) With the huge success of the troopers in the PoC line, such as Alley Viper and Shock Trooper, has HasbroToyShop considered releasing 12-figure "army builder" cases, similar to what they did with ME Paratroopers? (this could also work for New Cobrat Trooper, Viper, and Steel Brigade)

3) What led to the decision to release the Croc Master in the yellowish tone with the Python Patrol running change, rather than simply releasing the Python Patrol version? Same question regarding Blowtorch running change.

Excellent idea, excellent question!

4)Can you give us a hint what the 7 packs will be? One of the Characters maybe? Do you think fans will be excited about it?

Yeah come on we need a little easter egg! Although we may find out more at SDCC and they will say so. It may still be too early.

5)You guys at Hasbro have said that GI Joe:Renegades will be going on hiatus because of the upcoming live action sequel. However, will the toys continue to be released? BTW, I'm a huge fan of Renegades so count me in as one of those who definitely wants to see it come back!

Count me in too! Don't fix it if it ain't broke. This sounds like the Black Ripcord logic. Who cares? Why not do both? Still i wonder how many new characters we get for ROC 2? How early will the toys be released. There were plenty of crap figures but a lot of good ones as well. A lot!

6)Is there any possibility that some of the figures produced for the convention or the club might resurface in some form or fashion as a wide-scale Hasbro release?

I 2nd this one.

7)
My question, and it may have been asked before. Will we see any of the IDW characters in toy form? i.e. Krake

drunknmunky
05-08-2011, 01:40 AM
Is there any way to get repaints in future revision cases? I know we are getting Croc Master and Blowtorch but what if instead of throwing in CrazyLegs (for example) in to a future wave, what if it was a Night Force version? I guess what I mean is if we're going to get the same figures crammed into later waves, instead of having them peg warm, why not repaint them into a figured that people would really want. Repaints and revision waves are inevitable so why not repaint them into what we want? We're happy, you make money, they don't peg warm, more product sells, etc.

CornDog_The_Ninja
05-08-2011, 05:34 AM
To save Hasbro time, I'll go ahead and answer all the questions:

1. Yes.

2. No. We have no plans for that.

3. Maybe.

4. Just wait for SDCC.

5. We can't release that information.

Bonus answer: Sautéed mushrooms and peanut butter.

!!Snake-Eyes!!
05-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Will Hasbro provide the general public with similar figure molds as the exclusive figures in the past such as, Pimp Daddy Destro or Sgt.Slaughter and DialTone for example?

sbartek1974
05-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Question for Hasbro: How does it make you feel when you release a figure, and you're happy and have a sense of pride of how well you think it came out, and then a customizer gets their hands on that figure you made and modifies it and it comes out 110 times better than what you did? And the figure you produce, the retailers can't even sell it for a $3.99 clearance price but yet when the guys who do the customizing can sell their(much better)versions for a much a higher price than what you're selling yours.

blackman2005
05-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Question for Hasbro: How does it make you feel when you release a figure, and you're happy and have a sense of pride of how well you think it came out, and then a customizer gets their hands on that figure you made and modifies it and it comes out 110 times better than what you did? And the figure you produce, the retailers can't even sell it for a $3.99 clearance price but yet when the guys who do the customizing can sell their(much better)versions for a much a higher price than what you're selling yours.

I really wish they would respond to this.....

Jmacq1
05-09-2011, 10:12 AM

I really wish they would respond to this.....

Why? There's a very simple answer:

Customizers have what effectively amounts to an unlimited budget and an unlimited catalog of parts when it comes to making figures. They don't have to worry about a cap on how many paint-apps they can apply, mixing and matching parts between toy lines, keeping it to a limited number of accessories in order to meet the cost/profit ratios that Hasbro is looking for in a mass production product, or any other of the numerous factors that go into producing a mass-retail product.

In short, anyone comparing the work of customizers (particularly the truly good customizers) to Hasbro is making a false association, because Hasbro has to operate within limits that customizers are not bound to. Unless you're talking about simple LBC/headswap/repaint-style customs (if the repaint has the same number of paint apps as the original, or less), the question is moot. Customizers will naturally be able to produce a higher-quality product given enough time and resources.

It'd be just like asking Ford Motor Company "How do you feel when someone buys one of your Mustangs, pimps it out with thousands of dollars worth of after-market accessories and modifications, and sells it for more than they bought it from you?"

At absolute best, the answer you get will be along the lines of, "We're always amazed and gratified by the great work and creativity of the customizing community."

tuan_tran73
05-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Question to Hasbro:
1. Where can I buy Joes? I didn't see at my Target, Walmart, Toysrus, Walgreen, CVS, etc....

2. Will it be available at Ross, TJ Maxx?

lardman
05-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Question to Hasbro:
1. Where can I buy Joes? I didn't see at my Target, Walmart, Toysrus, Walgreen, CVS, etc....

+1 and add to that "I live outside the USA" ;)

Python_Puckman
05-09-2011, 02:46 PM
What is the story behind the decision to make the Zombie Viper? Does he fall into a specific story arc or maybe an updated version of the Toxo-Zombie?

SNAKE EYES
05-09-2011, 05:34 PM
1. Why did the Aqua Viper Officer receive a unique head-sculpt... was it meant for another character?

2. Any chance we could see a running change on Crazylegs with a different head-sculpt and legs?

Here's an idea: Crazylegs head-swap using the RoC Aqua Viper Officer head:

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss299/Snake-Eyes_/8909ffb8.jpg

Still needs better legs though.

titanate
05-09-2011, 08:16 PM
How about "are we EVER going to find out what this year's 7-packs are?"

TYPHUS
05-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Would you consider opening up the online HasbroToyShop for international orders (with the appropriate shipping costs added in of course)?

^^^ THIS........IS.......A..........CRUCIAL........... .QUESTION!!!

And:

With the amazing Zombie-viper being possibly the most contentious,fan-dividing joe figure EVER, could you tell us anything about his evolution,from initial concept to final design??? Ie did all the team like the idea??
What were alternative designs??did the popularity of zombies in games/movies/tv directly influence his appearance in the line??is he deliberately non joe/cobra specific to encourage kitbashing/customising?? And finally are you aware of the army building hype that is building around the figure???

Tucker
05-09-2011, 11:24 PM
I remember at JoeCon 2011 at the Hasbro Sneak Peak Panel, the Hasbro team mentioned something about a disagreement. It was between, IIRC, the marketing team and the development team. The development team fought with marketing for a while about the release of a certain product (right now I'll call it "X" because I can't remember what it was, little help, anyone?) that, when it actually was shown to us, was met with an overwhelmingly positive response. So my question involves that:

If the marketing team was so against product "X" and the development team was so for it, and it was met with cheers and a very positive response, is the marketing team now more likely to listen to the development team, now knowing that they know what we want?

I've never submitted a question so go easy on me if you think it's shit... is it too hypothetical?

Also, does anyone remember this short conversation? It came and went really quickly...

I am ever hopeful that we will again see Joes in the UK and elsewhere outside the USA (after the next movie I guess), but would you consider opening up the online HasbroToyShop for international orders (with the appropriate shipping costs added in of course)?

I hate to break it to the international fans (as I agree wholeheartedly that HTS should make their sales open to international customers) but Hasbro has made it clear to us before that Hasbro Toy Shop is a "separate entity" over which they have no control...

Love this question kneroh.

sbartek1974
05-10-2011, 01:37 AM
Why? There's a very simple answer:

Customizers have what effectively amounts to an unlimited budget and an unlimited catalog of parts when it comes to making figures. They don't have to worry about a cap on how many paint-apps they can apply, mixing and matching parts between toy lines, keeping it to a limited number of accessories in order to meet the cost/profit ratios that Hasbro is looking for in a mass production product, or any other of the numerous factors that go into producing a mass-retail product.

In short, anyone comparing the work of customizers (particularly the truly good customizers) to Hasbro is making a false association, because Hasbro has to operate within limits that customizers are not bound to. Unless you're talking about simple LBC/headswap/repaint-style customs (if the repaint has the same number of paint apps as the original, or less), the question is moot. Customizers will naturally be able to produce a higher-quality product given enough time and resources.

It'd be just like asking Ford Motor Company "How do you feel when someone buys one of your Mustangs, pimps it out with thousands of dollars worth of after-market accessories and modifications, and sells it for more than they bought it from you?"

At absolute best, the answer you get will be along the lines of, "We're always amazed and gratified by the great work and creativity of the customizing community."

I know what their answer will be, but I also know that we are dealing with human beings. And with human beings, come human emotions. And I am almost certain that a sense of jealousy and competitiveness comes out of the Hasbro design team when they notice that we go crazy over the customized figures and hate on their original ones. I'm just wanting to know if they do have those feelings(which I'm 100% sure they do)and I wonder what they talk about around the design table when they see their original figs customized. I want to know if they really here our cries for a more accurate figure. I want to know if they learn by seeing what other people are able to create and if they make adjustments within their own team to bring about higher quality Joes.

Jmacq1
05-11-2011, 07:34 AM
I know what their answer will be, but I also know that we are dealing with human beings. And with human beings, come human emotions. And I am almost certain that a sense of jealousy and competitiveness comes out of the Hasbro design team when they notice that we go crazy over the customized figures and hate on their original ones. I'm just wanting to know if they do have those feelings(which I'm 100% sure they do)and I wonder what they talk about around the design table when they see their original figs customized. I want to know if they really here our cries for a more accurate figure. I want to know if they learn by seeing what other people are able to create and if they make adjustments within their own team to bring about higher quality Joes.

I'm pretty sure nobody on the Hasbro design team gets particularly "jealous" of customizers. Have you seen the customs that the actual Hasbro guys make when given the time and opportunity? Easily as good as or better than anything else out there, and again, why is someone going to get "jealous" or "competitive" when they know the customizers have advantages that they don't when it comes to a mass retail figure vs. a customized one?

Nevermind that this "Hate on Hasbro/Love the Customizer" phenomenon you speak of is hardly universal,

Jmacq1
05-11-2011, 07:37 AM
I remember at JoeCon 2011 at the Hasbro Sneak Peak Panel, the Hasbro team mentioned something about a disagreement. It was between, IIRC, the marketing team and the development team. The development team fought with marketing for a while about the release of a certain product (right now I'll call it "X" because I can't remember what it was, little help, anyone?) that, when it actually was shown to us, was met with an overwhelmingly positive response. So my question involves that:

If the marketing team was so against product "X" and the development team was so for it, and it was met with cheers and a very positive response, is the marketing team now more likely to listen to the development team, now knowing that they know what we want?

I've never submitted a question so go easy on me if you think it's shit... is it too hypothetical?

Also, does anyone remember this short conversation? It came and went really quickly...

Interesting question. My only addendum would be: How did that product do at retail when it got there (if it got there)? All the cheers at Joe Con in the world don't mean diddly if the product doesn't get bought once it hits retail. The Marketing team may have ended up with the last laugh after all.

I would absolutely expect the design team to be more in-tune with what the adult collector base wants...aside from the design team being the guys that have more direct contact with that collector base, a lot of those guys are fans themselves. The marketing team, however, is paid to see the big picture, and to make decisions that aren't based on nostalgia and personal love of the line. Their decisions aren't always (or even often) popular I'd imagine (being the "bean counters") but ultimately they're the guys keeping the line afloat.

Troynos
05-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Interesting question. My only addendum would be: How did that product do at retail when it got there (if it got there)? All the cheers at Joe Con in the world don't mean diddly if the product doesn't get bought once it hits retail. The Marketing team may have ended up with the last laugh after all.

I would absolutely expect the design team to be more in-tune with what the adult collector base wants...aside from the design team being the guys that have more direct contact with that collector base, a lot of those guys are fans themselves. The marketing team, however, is paid to see the big picture, and to make decisions that aren't based on nostalgia and personal love of the line. Their decisions aren't always (or even often) popular I'd imagine (being the "bean counters") but ultimately they're the guys keeping the line afloat.

^ This

Gotta keep in mind that Joecon is only a couple hundred people.

It's a good cross-section of the longtime Joefan not the entire Joe market.

Even taking into account the online segment. We'll use the 'Tanks numbers, which is 20,200 (also remember that those numbers are lifetime and reflect people that aren't fans anymore, lots and lots of spammers over the years and multiple accounts).

20,000 is not the sales numbers that Hasbro would be looking for, so there is a large segment of Joe buyers that aren't represented online or at Joecon.

sbartek1974
05-11-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm pretty sure nobody on the Hasbro design team gets particularly "jealous" of customizers. Have you seen the customs that the actual Hasbro guys make when given the time and opportunity? Easily as good as or better than anything else out there, and again, why is someone going to get "jealous" or "competitive" when they know the customizers have advantages that they don't when it comes to a mass retail figure vs. a customized one?

Nevermind that this "Hate on Hasbro/Love the Customizer" phenomenon you speak of is hardly universal,

Well, you do make a good point about the customs that the Hasbro guys have made it the past. I forgot about those. I haven't seen any Hasbro customs in a good while. I wonder if they have made any recently.

Jmacq1
05-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Well, you do make a good point about the customs that the Hasbro guys have made it the past. I forgot about those. I haven't seen any Hasbro customs in a good while. I wonder if they have made any recently.

Dunno. They had that one set of customs that they trotted out for several cons in a row, and I think they added a few characters to it here and there, but generally it's been the same bunch for a couple or three or four years now, and it's been whittled down a bit as some of the characters that were made as customs have been made into retail figures (not exactly the same versions, but the same character).

I thought I glimpsed a few photos of them from this year's Joe-Con but they don't get much attention anymore because they've been seen so many times.

RogueWingnut
05-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Other sites like Rebelscum have had contests in the past where fans and board members were allowed to participate in a Fans Choice style voting contest based upon multiple areas of franchise history. This was to create new figures or reinvent old ones whom Hasbro might not have made in the conventional sense as they are sticking with more mainstream characters. Would Hasbro be open to such a line for G.I. Joe fans?

OSOK
05-12-2011, 10:15 AM
this is more of a demand than question: more zombies please!

Jmacq1
05-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Other sites like Rebelscum have had contests in the past where fans and board members were allowed to participate in a Fans Choice style voting contest based upon multiple areas of franchise history, would Hasbro be open to such a line for G.I. Joe fans?

Not a bad idea, but I'd hate to see it happen just because whenever Hasbro does one of those, the people whose character didn't "win" spend the next 5 years complaining about how the voting was rigged, etc...

RogueWingnut
05-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Not a bad idea, but I'd hate to see it happen just because whenever Hasbro does one of those, the people whose character didn't "win" spend the next 5 years complaining about how the voting was rigged, etc...

Once a format is established, I think it would work out fine.
Rebelscum is on its 3rd or 4th year for it and they've gotten it down to almost a science.

ero
05-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Question:

With three versions of Ace--including the ARAH-inspired comic pack version--having appeared in the modern era, what was the rationale behind the newly designed Ace that will accompany the upcoming Skystriker? This seemed like a great opportunity to release a cartoon-style Ace, whose look differs greatly from his comic and original toy counterpart.

sbartek1974
05-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Dunno. They had that one set of customs that they trotted out for several cons in a row, and I think they added a few characters to it here and there, but generally it's been the same bunch for a couple or three or four years now, and it's been whittled down a bit as some of the characters that were made as customs have been made into retail figures (not exactly the same versions, but the same character).

I thought I glimpsed a few photos of them from this year's Joe-Con but they don't get much attention anymore because they've been seen so many times.

Yeah, cause I kind of remember a picture on the web from a few years ago of a Hasbro custom Techno-Viper and Golobulus at a Joe Con.

Jmacq1
05-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Once a format is established, I think it would work out fine.
Rebelscum is on its 3rd or 4th year for it and they've gotten it down to almost a science.

Actually they do the polls frequently, but they've only done true "fan's choice" (as in the figure is actually going to get made) polls twice, and it was a collaboration between many different Star Wars collector sites.

Personally, I don't think Joe has a large enough collector base to make it worth Hasbro's while. Let's not forget that the far more numerous Star Wars fans clamored for YEARS to get a "Jabba's Fat Dancer" figure...which ended up being one of the worst pegwarmers in the line's history.

gunslingercbr
05-12-2011, 09:25 PM
it is a terrible idea. last time Hasbro opened a vote to Joe fans, the same fan base that whines incessantly about getting Snake Eyes too much voted for two HOH Snake Eyes figures, as if there was anything "ultimate" that could have been to the 25th versions of v.1. or v.2 Snake Eyes that hadn't already been done.

Joe fans shouldn't get to vote for a single product that Hasbro ever releases.

kennywr22
05-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Lol. So true gunslinger. That came to my mind right away.

gunslingercbr
05-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Lol. So true gunslinger. That came to my mind right away.

even worse, the same said Joe fans who claim female figures would jump off the shelf and Hasblow is stoopid for not making them had an opportunity to vote to get two female figures that certainly could have benefited from new or altered versions -- Scarlett and Baroness (the latter which already had a brand new mold that either would have got us a single carded Baroness in black or a cartoon version of the awesome 5 pack mold) and voted for neither.

Shin Densetsu
05-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Any fan with internet access could've voted on said polls. I don't think the diehard fanbase was the largest group of voters on those polls.

Jmacq1
05-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Like I said the first time around: No matter the results, people will complain.

Personally I think the HoH vote was messed up from the get go (primarily because it included a bunch of figures that hadn't even been released yet), but I do find it interesting that the results do seem to at least partially back up Hasbro's continual refrain that Snake-Eyes is the best seller and females aren't as popular as we seem to think.

lardman
05-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Unfortunately voluntary votes (as opposed to sampling a subsection of the population) always tends to be skewed towards the two extremes of those who really do and really don't want/like/etc. the subject of the vote.

Regarding female figures, I have absolutely no interest in them I've got to say, but I also don't absolutely hate them, so would probably not vote at all if someone was running a poll about whether we should have more female figures. This is the root of the problem.

What might be better is to ask all members to vote on any particular question that is being asked (though that will probably be rather annoying for many people) and then look at the statistics of who votes for/against and who just ignores it/abstains due to lack of interest, to decide whether any positive/negative signal is actually significant.

Trigue
05-14-2011, 05:31 AM
Since so many vehicle drivers have came with out a stand, or just to have extra stands for older figures with only one foot peg. Would it be possible to include an extra blank (no name) figure stand with figures ?

Speaking of vehicle drivers, would it be possible to have stands with the vehicles in the future for those that come with a driver ?

Sgt Humpty
05-14-2011, 06:40 AM
I really dig the aesthetic of the new Iron Grenadiers and would love to see more of this alternative faction. Any plans on expanding the IG with a more modern twist?

Seconded! The packaging for the new IG identifies him as a member of a heavy weapons support team. The implication clearly being that there are other types of IG's.

Best. Question. Ever.

I must have the answer to this so that I might make it a reality!

Although the political climate has changed dramatically since the 80's, and what was acceptable then for a toyline story is different from the 80's. That being said I am finding Cobra to be a lot less believable as a terrorist organization. what, if anything is being done to give a more threatening, and a more congealed feel to the storyline of the modern era like POC and whatnot?
to clarify, the Shock troopers and Iron Grenadiers are great figures with an excellent idea behind them, but where are these people recruited from? what drives them to follow cobra? what threat are they able to make when the American government is ( If I remember right from the 80's stories) attempting to suppress the media about the existence of Cobra?
Thank you.

Excellent question. I'd take it a step further and ask why not develop other threats for the Joes to deal with aside from Cobra?

To save Hasbro time, I'll go ahead and answer all the questions:

1. Yes.

2. No. We have no plans for that.

3. Maybe.

4. Just wait for SDCC.

5. We can't release that information.

Bonus answer: Sautéed mushrooms and peanut butter.

Thank you for ruining the suspense. Next time, could you please add some sort of SPOILER WARNING to such posts? Sheeesh!

Other sites like Rebelscum have had contests in the past where fans and board members were allowed to participate in a Fans Choice style voting contest based upon multiple areas of franchise history. This was to create new figures or reinvent old ones whom Hasbro might not have made in the conventional sense as they are sticking with more mainstream characters. Would Hasbro be open to such a line for G.I. Joe fans?

I am tempted to like this idea, but I fear the outcome.

Fast_Draw
05-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Question:

Can I get a case of Techno-Vipers instead of Renegades figures mixed in?

Spade
05-15-2011, 11:58 AM
The Marvel figures have fan choice winner and runner up released as single figures. Why hasn't this idea been incorporated in the GI Joe line?

Waspinator
05-24-2011, 03:25 PM
May 9th deadline looks like I missed out?

Well, incase anyone can answer this...

Last year, HTS offered 8 packs of Star Wars Troopers, Droids, etc. for army building purposes for $59.99... Why can't they offer the same for Cobra Troopers on HTS.com?

Jinx723
06-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Deadline was the 9th of May. It's June where are the answers?

kennywr22
06-02-2011, 11:20 PM
When are the answer due back?

Tollbooth
06-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Why can't they let the fans vote for a top ten want list. I think that would end the peg warming. I mean give us what we want not destro snake eyes storm shadow and cobra commander. The hall of heroes voting was a good idea just done wrong.

Lantern_Lad
06-05-2011, 12:09 AM
I've got a good one for next go-around... Hopefully we'll get some answers soon...