PDA

View Full Version : Snake Eyes named 12th Greatest Character of All Time, CC is 50th!!!

Snake Eyes-Joe Ninja
05-23-2008, 05:10 PM
To celebrate their 200th issue, Wizard Magazine had a cover feature of the "200th Greatest Characters of all Time", and Snake Eyes, GI Joe's own silent ninja, snagged 12th!!! Beating out heroes like the Hulk, Punisher, Iron Man, Thor, Daredevil, Robin, Nightwing, Colossus, Cyclops, Emma Frost and countless others, Snake Eyes was beaten by ONLY the Batman, Wolverine, Spiderman, Magneto, Joker, Hellboy, the Thing, Superman, Captain America, and two others (can't remember off the top of my head)!

Cobra Commander himself was 50, beating out the likes of Venom, Darkseid, Sabertooth and the Juggernaut as one of the world of fiction's worst and most conniving villians!

Congrats to the two posterboys! It seems that GI Joe is really entering the public eye, as not even any Transformers or Star Wars characters made the list!

Steel Brigade
05-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Wow!!

Shin Densetsu
05-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Bah, Storm Shadow is better.

karamazov80
05-23-2008, 06:55 PM
You accidentally typed "Storm Shadow" instead of "Flint." Common mistake :)

Derek2783
05-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Snake Eyes was beaten by ONLY the Batman, Wolverine, Spiderman, Magneto, Joker, Hellboy, the Thing, Superman, Captain America, and two others (can't remember off the top of my head)!

How the heck did the Thing beat out any..uh...thing... for greatest character of all time?!

I concurr...

Golobulous
05-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Flint was a better cartoon character than comic character, besides at the end of the marvel run they started calling the whole book "gi joe in small letters" "STARRING SNAKE EYES" he is what made the book click from his secret history, to his unveiled face, to his complex relationship with storm shadow and scarlett. yeah i see him 12th if not top ten

Sysiss
05-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Bah...seriously flawed list IMO. How does someone like Vader not make a list of that sort of 50 characters never mind top 5. And NOT ONE Transformers character as well? I could MAYBE understand it if a G.I. Joe character didn't make it also...*maybe they weren't going for that sorta thing* but geez!! Not saying some of those picks aren't noteworthy, but overall horrible list.

theprocess
05-23-2008, 07:38 PM
You accidentally typed "Storm Shadow" instead of "Flint." Common mistake :)

HAHAHAH...without a doubt.

A.V.A.C.
05-23-2008, 07:48 PM
i think that's pretty cool about snake eyes, no wonder we see so many of them. however, they forgot about who dept. stores think is the most popular, BUZZER of course.

i do agree with syssis bout' vader though, c'mon. i haven't seen the list yet, but my main man... er, robut, betta be on it:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:eOl-n2I75eEJ:students.fim.uni-passau.de/~hansenk/bilder/futurama/bender2.jpg (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://students.fim.uni-passau.de/~hansenk/bilder/futurama/bender2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://hippiecraque.blogspot.com/&h=768&w=1024&sz=164&tbnid=eOl-n2I75eEJ:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbender%2Bphotos&hl=en&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=3)

DarthBrett
05-23-2008, 08:08 PM
What about Han Solo or Indiana Jones?

A.V.A.C.
05-23-2008, 08:13 PM
sheesh darthbrett, are you jealous of calista flockhart or something? :D

Sysiss
05-23-2008, 09:01 PM
What about Han Solo or Indiana Jones?

Not sure about Solo, but possible. IJ is a must however. Considering how four big time movies revolve solely around him, a mini-series and work inspired by IJ exist he should be there as well. Not to mention all the crap that has been made in the Indiana Jones name.

I find it funny how some of those characters are considered "great." Unless your a comic junkie you won't even know who the heck some of them are. Although it wasn't specified i'm thinking the author of this thread may have meant to write "Greatest Comic Characters of All Time"

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be some really bad selections here as far as "great" goes along with some "truly great" characters missing. It seems all geared toward comic characters, not just "Great Characters." At least the ones you posted.

atomicpower
05-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Wizard is a comic book magazine. I don't think movies matter to them.

atomicpower
05-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Oh, and the two you forgot were John Constantine and Rorschach, from Hellblazer and the Watchmen, respectively.

G.I. Smurf
05-23-2008, 09:11 PM
psh, just the fact that overused characters like snake eyes and wolverine and even hellboy (what the hell) are on the top 12 show that wizard has no idea as to the meaning of the word great.

how can you have hellboy up there before optimus, cobra commander or a characters from star wars.

karamazov80
05-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Bah...seriously flawed list IMO. How does someone like Vader not make a list of that sort of 50 characters never mind top 5.
Agreed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXuxSXSUSyU

Since I'm posting way off topic anyway, howzabout the great Antichristo! He is the number 1 after all, and the best. Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FgN3UEM2P8

atomicpower
05-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Rick Grimes is a fantastic comic character and I have no idea how he got left off the list. If any of you like zombies and haven't checked out the Walking Dead, you're doing yourselves a great disservice. It's in black and white, so the trades are relatively cheap.

DaViper
05-24-2008, 12:12 AM
I like snake-eyes at 12 but not to have megatron or optimus prime in the top 10!? blasphemy!!

Sysiss
05-24-2008, 12:16 AM
I like snake-eyes at 12 but not to have megatron or optimus prime in the top 10!? blasphemy!!

Nevermind top 10, they weren't even in the top 50!

Agent-GHQ
05-24-2008, 12:25 AM
According to them yeah. But I say S.E. is number one, hands down!!

RedHeadKevin
05-25-2008, 10:41 AM
and where are Hamlet? Romeo and/or Juliet? Atticus Finch? Achilles? Odessyus? Holden Caulfield? How did none of them make the top 50 characters of all time?

Dirtbag
05-25-2008, 12:03 PM
There is something very enigmatic and appealing about Snake-Eyes. A masked mute ninja commando that had a wolf for a pet with a tragic past and a scarred face who was utterly overrated but awesome nonetheless in the comics. Characters shrouded in in mystery always turn out successful, same thing with Wolverine.

As for Darth Vader he was to me one of the greatest villains of all time until the new trilogy came out. When they show you Darth Vader origin and well how it was handle in the new movies I think with me it failed. Telling me that the Lord of the Sith was this whining arrogant uncool Jedi looking out for power.Why? What where his motives, he kill all the Sand people who took his mother.
They are more questions but I'm not going to bother I'm lazy right now and I don't want to translate every word in my head.

Still I'm glad Joker made the list he's to me the greatest villain of all time.

King_Snake
05-25-2008, 01:13 PM
the list is for the 200 Greatest COMIC BOOK characters of all time, which is probably why someone like Indiana Jones wasn't included. It's still a seriously flawed list, but it's nice to see Snake Eyes place so high. I don't think the Wolverine of the past 15 years or so is worthy of the greatest comic book character of all time (80's Wolvie was better, but still not number 1...)

Iron Spider-Man
05-25-2008, 01:57 PM
the list is for the 200 Greatest COMIC BOOK characters of all time, which is probably why someone like Indiana Jones wasn't included. It's still a seriously flawed list, but it's nice to see Snake Eyes place so high. I don't think the Wolverine of the past 15 years or so is worthy of the greatest comic book character of all time (80's Wolvie was better, but still not number 1...)

That makes a lot more sense, that Wizard would put out the greatest 200 Comic Book characters of all time.

However, why can't they make a list of the 200 greatest characters of all time, and put Snake-Eyes at 12, and leave off dozens of characters that someone else feels are more deserving? The bottom line is its an opinion, and they're allowed to have whatever one, no matter how flawed it seems to be.

MAJOR WOLF
05-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Wow!!

Go Snake-Eyes!!

spacemonkeymafia
05-25-2008, 04:49 PM

Yup.......

DPrime
05-25-2008, 11:41 PM
I find it funny how some of those characters are considered "great." Unless your a comic junkie you won't even know who the heck some of them are. Although it wasn't specified i'm thinking the author of this thread may have meant to write "Greatest Comic Characters of All Time"

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be some really bad selections here as far as "great" goes along with some "truly great" characters missing. It seems all geared toward comic characters, not just "Great Characters." At least the ones you posted.

Agreed, this list is stupid, and as a "greatest comic characters" list, I'm not even sure GI Joes should be in it. They're not comic characters who were made into toys - they were toy characters who happened to have a comic as well, which was only created to advertise the toys.

and where are Hamlet? Romeo and/or Juliet? Atticus Finch? Achilles? Odysseus? Holden Caulfield? How did none of them make the top 50 characters of all time?

Because Wizard is for nerds.

Chris L
05-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Ok,

I can understand the logic that Wizard is a comic book magazine and therefore they chose from comics to make the list. But even using that logic, their list is flawed. SE certainly wouldn't be that high on the list and Spawn (who I never liked) would definitely have beat out Hellboy (??).

So if we were to take the list in the context in which many of us first understood it, or would like to understand it, I would say the top 10 unquestionable comic/fanboy Icons are, in no particular order:

Darth Vader
Snake Eyes
Storm Shadow
Optimus Prime
Superman
Batman
Wolverine
Spiderman
Bobafett
Yoda

I base this list on fanboy love, what figure(s) has its own section in the toy aisle and how big it is, as well as how often I would think a child would be able to name the figure if placed in front of them. I don't have Megatron on the list simply because >>I<< even have problems at times recognizing Megatron due to the fact they change his form so often and I'm a long time Transformers fan. However you can almost ALWAYS tell what figure is Prime. Other choices that could be in the top 10 based more on recognizability:

Hulk Hogan - Think about how large a fan base wrestling has, its section in the toy aisle and the one character that personifies Wrestling and it's history.
Cobra Commander
Spawn
HALO spartan - but time will tell if this will remain on the list.
Not Indiana Jones - no "staying" power between movies
Barbie - Sorry, if we are being honest about recognizability
Gollum - LOTR
Shrek and Donkey
The M&M pieces - Food network said they are the most recognized character images in the world.
Mickey Mouse

Of course, this last few are not really keeping with the idea of the list.

Psyche-Out
05-26-2008, 12:45 PM
and where are Hamlet? Romeo and/or Juliet? Atticus Finch? Achilles? Odessyus? Holden Caulfield? How did none of them make the top 50 characters of all time?

Their comic books haven't been the best reads and thats if their stories were even made into comics. This is a list of characters portrayed in comic books. Just thought I would clarify that for the several of who whom apparently do not know what Wizard magazine is.

Sysiss
05-26-2008, 12:53 PM
There is something very enigmatic and appealing about Snake-Eyes. A masked mute ninja commando that had a wolf for a pet with a tragic past and a scarred face who was utterly overrated but awesome nonetheless in the comics. Characters shrouded in in mystery always turn out successful, same thing with Wolverine.

As for Darth Vader he was to me one of the greatest villains of all time until the new trilogy came out. When they show you Darth Vader origin and well how it was handle in the new movies I think with me it failed. Telling me that the Lord of the Sith was this whining arrogant uncool Jedi looking out for power.Why? What where his motives, he kill all the Sand people who took his mother.
They are more questions but I'm not going to bother I'm lazy right now and I don't want to translate every word in my head.

Still I'm glad Joker made the list he's to me the greatest villain of all time.

In all honesty, if you agree that Darth Vader was one of the greatest villains of all time, why would the new trilogy change that? Considering that Anakin and DV are two totally SEPARATE characters that should have have NO impact on you changing your mindset.

Anything that Anakin says or does, which happens to take place for the majority of the prequels isn't as THE character DV, so they need to be looked at separately.

Until Anakin makes the transition to DV, which isn't ENTIRELY complete until about 2 minutes before ROTS ends, he's not the same character. VERY VERY little of the prequels as a whole actually show the character Darth Vader. It's basically just a glimpse of what Anakin is to become, but ISN'T yet.

DPrime
05-26-2008, 01:52 PM
In all honesty, if you agree that Darth Vader was one of the greatest villains of all time, why would the new trilogy change that? Considering that Anakin and DV are two totally SEPARATE characters that should have have NO impact on you changing your mindset.

That's an interesting point of view, but a bit philosophical for my tastes (not that I mind that sort of thing). I suppose the argument could be made, but I don't agree. I can't help but feel that something of Darth Vader has been lost because of the prequels. It's not so much Hayden that has diminished the character (he was fine - not great, but not as bad as people say), but portraying him as a ten-year-old kid... Meh.

Sysiss
05-26-2008, 06:51 PM
That's an interesting point of view, but a bit philosophical for my tastes (not that I mind that sort of thing). I suppose the argument could be made, but I don't agree. I can't help but feel that something of Darth Vader has been lost because of the prequels. It's not so much Hayden that has diminished the character (he was fine - not great, but not as bad as people say), but portraying him as a ten-year-old kid... Meh.

I see what your saying. It's almost as if we're saying Darth Vader was once a HUMAN and a KID!!! WHAT THE HELL!!?!?! It is kinda funny in a way. Most of us remember Vader as one character and one character only. Then you throw this whole other image of what he USED to look like/act into the equation years later and it's like....that guy used to laugh?.....HE COULD LAUGH?!?!?! Yea, it messes with u.