PDA

View Full Version : How do you use Dreadnoks in your Joeverse?

PitViper
03-27-2011, 01:59 PM
These guys seem to fall under the love/hate category and rarely anywhere else.

As a kid watching Sunbow I didn't care for them much, they were just too stupid. Then I would read the filecards and though they were written in the same vein, they came off a bit "meaner" and formidable.

Now with all the Marvel and DDP stuff I've read and my own fan fiction I'm actually a big fan and don't percieve them as "bumbling idiots" at all...."muscle bound goons"? perhaps.

My Noks are Mercenaries and muscle that gets ALOT of work from Cobra handed down to the direct link: Zartan but it's in no way they only work they get. They got their "para-military" training through Zartan and everything else was from learning the ropes in other MC's.

I don't think of them as "stupid" actually they're incredibly street smart. Incredibly dangerous and would probably pull the trigger on anyone for the right price.

I also don't think their chapters are always hanging out in some roadhouse with Harleys lined up outside. Times have changed, there are a few juice head Noks making their bones by dressing the part and comming into clubs and breaking the backs of ecstacy dealers for selling and not kicking up. There are Noks that can hang with the HAMC and Noks that have been in suits and provided security at high end resturants for "Mafia" meetings.

I think this is one avenue of Joe that could be an "expanded universe" on its own. I'd like to see the Noks go head to head with other MC's or perhaps even get contracted to get Headman and the Evil Headhunters off of Cobra turf.

How do you use them?

Zombieboy
03-27-2011, 02:02 PM
i use them as urban warriors the biker thing is just cover theyre lethal smart (Buzzer was a phd) and effective and made for nice emmissaries between Cobra and the Headhunter forces

Barefoot Jedi
03-27-2011, 02:13 PM
In my Joe-Verse, the Dreadnoks are all American prep school kids with names like Andrew, Blake and Chad who develop the biker gang persona as a means of getting back at their super-rich, ultra-conservative parents.

They struggle to out-horrible one another, to prove which one is the most "real" thug. They invent false backstories for themselves (the filecard info), speak in fake accents, and constantly push the envelope of anti-social behavior to, as I said, prove which one is the most "legitimately" loathsome. Basically they are cosplay gone mad or the ultimate poseurs.

They are all strikingly good-looking but struggle to negate their features by wearing scruffy beards, not bathing, dirty clothes, cutting themselves up, etc.

Zartan meets them on a mission and is so amused and entertained by them he hires them as his personal bodyguards and second rate stooges. My Zartan has a quirky sense of humor.

sgcaper
03-27-2011, 03:09 PM
My 'Noks are based on the MCs I grew up with. My pops was a King Cobra, my step dad a Diablo. Both spent a lot of time with Hell's Angels, Longriders, etc. So my 'Noks are 1%ers. They deal, strip bikes, provide protection, etc. Most have some military background, if not they get trained by Cobra. Just like the HAs there are some who are "suits" and others who are straight up WT to the core.

Neuspeaq
03-27-2011, 03:09 PM
I love your take on them Pit Viper. I see them working in tandem WITH Headhunter though; who I DON'T portray as some smelly, wierdly dressed dealer. The 'Noks are like the Sons of Anarchy in my 'Verse, Especially so in that they have Chapters EVERYwhere, (some of which are 'brothers;') add to that the members that can 'dress up' and integrate themselves in 'mainstream' society + the paramilitary education Zartan gave them...
Ruthlessly Efficient.
Headman in MY 'Verse is a cross between the drug kingpin in the remake of the Miami Vice movie, and 'Peoples' from Shaft. Sometimes Shadow Tracker does work for him...

MldMnrdReporter
03-27-2011, 08:45 PM
In my universe they just sit around the Terrordrome and sing folksy songs about Cobra Commander and his love of 70's Boogie.

the odinson
03-27-2011, 08:46 PM
In my Joe-Verse, the Dreadnoks are all American prep school kids with names like Andrew, Blake and Chad who develop the biker gang persona as a means of getting back at their super-rich, ultra-conservative parents.

They struggle to out-horrible one another, to prove which one is the most "real" thug. They invent false backstories for themselves (the filecard info), speak in fake accents, and constantly push the envelope of anti-social behavior to, as I said, prove which one is the most "legitimately" loathsome. Basically they are cosplay gone mad or the ultimate poseurs.

They are all strikingly good-looking but struggle to negate their features by wearing scruffy beards, not bathing, dirty clothes, cutting themselves up, etc.

Zartan meets them on a mission and is so amused and entertained by them he hires them as his personal bodyguards and second rate stooges. My Zartan has a quirky sense of humor.

very funny, great angle for the 'noks.

Beckley
03-27-2011, 08:49 PM

So Zartan is Ms. Garrett and Road Pig is Tootie.

Unclassified
03-27-2011, 08:53 PM
who's joe?

MightyMegs
03-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Just like the Marvel comics. Buzzer's pretty smart, tho...

PitViper
03-27-2011, 09:34 PM
My 'Noks are based on the MCs I grew up with. My pops was a King Cobra, my step dad a Diablo. Both spent a lot of time with Hell's Angels, Longriders, etc. So my 'Noks are 1%ers. They deal, strip bikes, provide protection, etc. Most have some military background, if not they get trained by Cobra. Just like the HAs there are some who are "suits" and others who are straight up WT to the core.

Awesome man! Were the King Cobras ever in Northern Jersey? Maybe back in the 80's? I seem to remember that patch and rocker. Near Newark if that helps which is all H.A. now.

Very cool if they may have been them!

Sgt Humpty
03-27-2011, 09:41 PM
My Noks are pretty close to what Pit Viper laid out.

Some of them are business-minded, while others are just muscle. Some are smarter than others, some are more depraved than others - but all are loyal to the club.

My Noks are NOTHING like Sunbow depicted them.

PitViper
03-27-2011, 09:41 PM
I love your take on them Pit Viper. I see them working in tandem WITH Headhunter though; who I DON'T portray as some smelly, wierdly dressed dealer. The 'Noks are like the Sons of Anarchy in my 'Verse, Especially so in that they have Chapters EVERYwhere, (some of which are 'brothers;') add to that the members that can 'dress up' and integrate themselves in 'mainstream' society + the paramilitary education Zartan gave them...
Ruthlessly Efficient.
Headman in MY 'Verse is a cross between the drug kingpin in the remake of the Miami Vice movie, and 'Peoples' from Shaft. Sometimes Shadow Tracker does work for him...

Thanks man! And I view Headman and the Hunters in pretty much the same way.

I think the Noks in the past have had a "good" working relationship with Headman and maybe even took some work training the Headhunters in some hand to hand or something cool like that.

I just think an AWESOME story would be something like...everything is cool between them and then the smallest, stupidest thing stirs the pot. Maybe Torch got drunk and ends up smacking around a Hunter at a party..turns out to be Headman's boy, it goes back and forth etc.

Zartan pissed at Torch for f'ing up...pissed at Headman for not letting up and before you know it, it's about money, turf and "politics."

In the end a full blown war in the streets of some drug infested ghetto complete with apartment complexes that are PERFECT for shoot outs and all out chaos.

Plus I think a story like that could maybe bring in a few of the cooler "fan favorite" Joes....maybe Shockwave comes in with the DEF and bam--sh*t goes down! :)

Wry1
03-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Excellent thread brotha, love me some 'Noks, dig your 'verse ideas. I had a chance to draw the 'Noks a little while ago, and getting to do a modern take was excellent, these dudes definitely need an update.

PitViper
03-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Excellent thread brotha, love me some 'Noks, dig your 'verse ideas. I had a chance to draw the 'Noks a little while ago, and getting to do a modern take was excellent, these dudes definitely need an update.

Thanks man, dude did you post the artwork on here??

Flint071
03-27-2011, 09:59 PM

I think the Noks in the past have had a "good" working relationship with Headman and maybe even took some work training the Headhunters in some hand to hand or something cool like that.

I just think an AWESOME story would be something like...everything is cool between them and then the smallest, stupidest thing stirs the pot. Maybe Torch got drunk and ends up smacking around a Hunter at a party..turns out to be Headman's boy, it goes back and forth etc.

Zartan pissed at Torch for f'ing up...pissed at Headman for not letting up and before you know it, it's about money, turf and "politics."

In the end a full blown war in the streets of some drug infested ghetto complete with apartment complexes that are PERFECT for shoot outs and all out chaos.

Plus I think a story like that could maybe bring in a few of the cooler "fan favorite" Joes....maybe Shockwave comes in with the DEF and bam--sh*t goes down! :)

I'm sorry, but you are wrong.

Wry1
03-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks man, dude did you post the artwork on here??

Yeah man, here's a link... http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-fan-art/98478-wry1-da-noks.html

Brief description too but...I'm not much of a wordsmith.

Big IV
03-27-2011, 10:24 PM
I see them as muscle and distraction in situations where sending in blue clad soldiers would not be as beneficial. They are fairly Sons of Anarchy with gun running, side deals, and chapters everywhere even though we only see the same small group work with Cobra agents.

Mech-Viper
03-27-2011, 10:24 PM
I see the Noks playing the role of idiots because it suits their needs, its gets them out of alot of stuff just playing dumb and opens alot of doors for them, but when it's business time , well that is a different story

PitViper
03-27-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm sorry, but you are wrong.

You've been hanging out with Joesph too long.

CVdelgado
03-27-2011, 11:02 PM
mine just look cool on their bikes... i like your guys ideas though...

WeaponXCustoms
03-27-2011, 11:23 PM
I hate them but love Wry1's incarnation of them and plan to make them all. If you havent seen it...its unbelievable
Da 'Noks (http://www.slayerdesignstudioforum.com/t304-da-noks)

Neuspeaq
03-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Excellent thread brotha, love me some 'Noks, dig your 'verse ideas. I had a chance to draw the 'Noks a little while ago, and getting to do a modern take was excellent, these dudes definitely need an update.I thought your modern take on the 'Noks was fuckin Awesome btw.

Neuspeaq
03-28-2011, 02:32 AM
I liked your idea as far as a possible skirmish between the 'Noks and Headman's crew PV. In my 'Verse, Headman brings in the Big Weight into the country, while the 'Noks 'get' 1/4th of all the incoming, then move it... Something the Headman's not too pleased with, but tolerates, because Zartan's relation with Cobra Commander is Much closer than his; and the retaliation could Far exceed any costs he's prepared to pay...

rocker82
03-28-2011, 02:54 AM
The Dreadnoks for me are biker gang mercenaries.

Akunin
03-28-2011, 02:56 AM
Thugs, smugglers & runners for me. But then Cobra to me isn't a "terrorist orginization bent on world domination", they are straight up terrorists who get off on wanton acts of cruelty, destruction and death. They steal advanced technology (by any means), exploit hostages (0 tolerance for negotiation) and the "noks" fit in pretty well as supporting members working for the highest dollar to achieve these means.

atomsmasher
03-28-2011, 03:05 AM
Cannon Fodder!

Blaster'spunchingbagg
03-28-2011, 03:05 AM
My Nok's are hired thugs lead by Zartan who are on the Cobra payroll, to cause some mayhem for the joes.

sgcaper
03-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Awesome man! Were the King Cobras ever in Northern Jersey? Maybe back in the 80's? I seem to remember that patch and rocker. Near Newark if that helps which is all H.A. now.

Very cool if they may have been them!

To be honest I'm not sure. It's definitely possible. I grew up with the MA and CT chapters. I know my pops was also in the CA chapter for a while. Wouldn't surprise me if they made it to NJ. I'll ask next time I talk to him.

Unclassified
03-31-2011, 09:08 PM
as toys..

arashikage_ninj
03-31-2011, 09:12 PM
Mercenaries. And there's just 3.

Crimson Gord
03-31-2011, 09:20 PM
they are a bunch of greasy meth addicts, and zartan, is the cook.

Crimson Rage
04-01-2011, 08:40 AM
I don't actually - Never been a fan. Zartan acts alone in my universe, like in the BATTLE ACTION FORCE comics.

monstermonkey
04-01-2011, 11:19 AM
That's a great take on the Drednoks, PitViper. I always just thought of them in the context of the filecards and the Marvel comics. Biker thugs employed by Cobra who just cause trouble. When I was a kid, I rarely used them in battles between Joe and Cobra, instead, I'd always have them sneaking up on the motor pool and airfield and dismantling the Joe vehicles, like in the comic. Or, one or 2 lone Joes on vacation would run into them and chaos would ensue. I'm still not sure why they were led by Zartan, though....that guy was a weirdo. He seemed more like a sci-fi/X-Men villan than a guy who would employ crazy bikers.

cobracommanderiv
04-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Marvel UK comics portrayed them as dangerous psychopathic types. I liked the filecards and the way the early US stories and UK comics showed them...They're always going to be a biker gang employed by Zartan to cause Havoc, aid him on assignments whilst he's in the employ of Cobra. Buzzer isn't thick, the others are dim but totally street smart - and all, very, very deadly.

atomicpower
04-01-2011, 09:56 PM
as targets.

Gungho-joe
04-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Criminal biker gang. I dont even have Zartan as their leader, Zarana turned on her brother and they left him to rot with Cobra.

PitViper
04-02-2011, 12:40 AM
That's a great take on the Drednoks, PitViper..

Thanks man!

Neuspeaq
04-02-2011, 01:26 AM
I'm REALLY feelin your idea of a 'beef/misunderstandin' between the 'Noks and Headman's crew! The more I think about it, the more realistic it seems...
It'd be SWEET if you did a a One-Shot Collaboration Fan-Fic w/ someone where you wrote from the perspective of the 'Noks, and someone else wrote from the one of the Headman/Headhunters, where the tensions would steadily escalate until everything went totally APESHIT!! ...
What you Think?

Flint-wo2
04-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Ruthlessly Efficient.

I think the noks should be like SAMCRO but in Australia.

That would be an awesome dio-story.

I see them as muscle and distraction in situations where sending in blue clad soldiers would not be as beneficial. They are fairly Sons of Anarchy with gun running, side deals, and chapters everywhere even though we only see the same small group work with Cobra agents.
They do work outside of cobra Like SAMCRO.

Yeah man, here's a link... http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-fan-art/98478-wry1-da-noks.html

Brief description too but...I'm not much of a wordsmith.
They rock.
Criminal biker gang. I dont even have Zartan as their leader, Zarana turned on her brother and they left him to rot with Cobra.
^Good idea.